PDA

View Full Version : CURSE YOU MIKE SHERMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

red
03-04-2007, 07:05 PM
will you never stop screwing us over?

:twisted:

RashanGary
03-04-2007, 07:08 PM
The curse of the pear shaped loser will never lift. It's like Cleditus Hunt; just when you thought all the damage was assessed, a contract dispute comes back to bite us in the ass.

retailguy
03-04-2007, 07:09 PM
will you never stop screwing us over?

:twisted:

Honestly, can you really blame him? I'd do the same thing...

GBRulz
03-04-2007, 07:11 PM
If TT wasn't too busy watching paint dry, Sherman would never have had his chance at Green.

packinpatland
03-04-2007, 07:48 PM
This absolutely makes me sick. What the hell is TT thinking?
Can't blame Sherman on this one, at least he recognized talent and convinced the Texans to pay for it.

gureski
03-04-2007, 07:59 PM
A.Green gets a big payday from a franchise that has proven itself inept in talent evaluation and it's Ted Thompson making you sick? Fans like you make me sick! Did you see the deal Green got? 6 or 7 Million up front in signing bonus and 23 million over 4 years! All that for a 30 year old RB who is one year removed from an inury that was so serious that it normally ends guys careers?

I like Green as much as the next Packer fan. I was hoping something could be worked out but to say that Thompson makes you sick because he refused to overpay and put the team's future in jeaprody just to sign a RB that is truthfully a questionmark for the next couple years is ridiculous!

Have you ever bothered to even look at the statistics for RB's over 30? They break down and it happens fast!

Do yourself a favor and get past the raw emotion of losing a Packer to another team. Green isn't the same player he was 4 years ago. He was slowing down. Don't get mad at Thompson for not overpaying and over-risking the franchise's money and RB position to a 30 year old RB with lots of wear and tear that is coming off a major injury! Don't be mad at Thompson for doing his job. He did the right thing. He tried to sign Green. Green felt he could get more money on the open market and did. Both Green and Thompson did what they had to do. I"m happy for A.Green and happy that Ted Thompson did the responsible thing.

GBRulz
03-04-2007, 08:05 PM
Actually Gureski, Green's deal comes out to 5.5 mil a year if I understand it correctly. I think only 6 mil is guaranteed.

Charles Woodson
03-04-2007, 08:13 PM
Texans | Deal reached with former Packers' RB Green
Sun, 4 Mar 2007 15:45:18 -0800

John Murphy, of Yahoo! Sports, reports unrestricted free-agent RB Ahman Green (Packers) has reached a contract agreement with the Houston Texans. John McClain, of the Houston Chronicle, reports the deal is worth $23 million over four years and has $6.5 million guaranteed.

it comes to like 5.75 a year.

Nice to see ya again gureski.

the_idle_threat
03-04-2007, 08:17 PM
Texans | Deal reached with former Packers' RB Green
Sun, 4 Mar 2007 15:45:18 -0800

John Murphy, of Yahoo! Sports, reports unrestricted free-agent RB Ahman Green (Packers) has reached a contract agreement with the Houston Texans. John McClain, of the Houston Chronicle, reports the deal is worth $23 million over four years and has $6.5 million guaranteed.

it comes to like 5.75 a year.

Nice to see ya again gureski.

I have seen reports of $22 million and other reports of $23 million. Final, authoritative numbers have not come out yet. I'm waiting to see the yearly breakdown before I judge the contract as a good deal or not.

gureski
03-04-2007, 08:18 PM
ESPN is reporting it as 23 million over 4 years.

23 million over 4 years averages 5.75 million a year.

As far as guaranteed money, Green gets 6 or 7 million up front in a signing bonus. (signing bonus not confirmed yet) Then, he gets his first year salary too (unless the Texans are about to cut a guy they just gave millions to without ever letting him make their roster) I can't see that first year salary being less then 2 or 3 million.

Regardless, that's 8 to 10 million in year one. Cap-wise, they get to spread the signing bonus out over the lenth of the contract so the cap hit wont be 8 to 10 million but the real value of money being sent out the door to a RB that may not make it through next season is 8 to 10 million dollars. That's 1/3 to almost 1/2 of the total contract paid out in the first year.

swede
03-04-2007, 08:18 PM
Sherman's signing AG to a big deal just sort of validates TT's decision to let him go, doesn't it?

The Shadow
03-04-2007, 08:38 PM
We all know the negative effect Mike Sherman's talent evaluations and GM decisions had on our team.
We also can surmise that Sherman's views on Green were elicted by Kubiak.
Now then : if Mike Sherman persuaded the Texans to overpay a 30 year old back with lots of mileage - can we not have a reasonable question about how sound a decision this was?
After watching Sherman the GM in action, I'm betting that Mike has
remained true to form here and overpaid.
After observing Thompson in action, I would say that he has probably made the correct, albeit it tough, choice.

Patler
03-04-2007, 08:46 PM
Last year TT was an idiot in the minds of quite a few because he guaranteed about $2 million to Green as long as he made it through training camp. Now he is an idiot for not guaranteeing him over three times as much for next year.

I was really hoping that Green could finish his career in GB. It didn't work out, so we move on. I honestly hope Green does real well in Texas. But the odds are probably against it.

The Shadow
03-04-2007, 08:53 PM
I wonder if Saints fans were outraged, disappointed, saddened, etc. when old Joe Johnson left them for Shermy's Packers.

HarveyWallbangers
03-04-2007, 09:33 PM
Last year TT was an idiot in the minds of quite a few because he guaranteed about $2 million to Green as long as he made it through training camp. Now he is an idiot for not guaranteeing him over three times as much for next year.

I was really hoping that Green could finish his career in GB. It didn't work out, so we move on. I honestly hope Green does real well in Texas. But the odds are probably against it.

I didn't knock the deal last year, but it's not really all that similar. Last year, Green was coming off a really bad injury that knocked him out most of the year. This year, he rebounded from the injury and looked to be past it.

The Shadow
03-04-2007, 09:39 PM
Running backs can lose it in a hurry.
As I see it, there were 3 causes for concern with signing Green to big money.
1. His age : 30 is getting up there in RB years.
2. Attrition : His running style has got to have left a lot of lumps
3. Injury : He made it back, but for how long?

pbmax
03-05-2007, 12:44 AM
Depending on how that contract was structured (front loaded or even), it makes sense in the long run. But its going to hurt this year.

Everything depends on who we get to replace him, but I bet the first guy who gets a crack at it isn't the solution.

GBRulz
03-05-2007, 01:01 AM

As far as guaranteed money, Green gets 6 or 7 million up front in a signing bonus. (signing bonus not confirmed yet) Then, he gets his first year salary too (unless the Texans are about to cut a guy they just gave millions to without ever letting him make their roster) I can't see that first year salary being less then 2 or 3 million.

Regardless, that's 8 to 10 million in year one. Cap-wise, they get to spread the signing bonus out over the lenth of the contract so the cap hit wont be 8 to 10 million but the real value of money being sent out the door to a RB that may not make it through next season is 8 to 10 million dollars. That's 1/3 to almost 1/2 of the total contract paid out in the first year.

The signing bonus can be spread throughout the duration of the contract, so no, it is not an 8-10 million dollar cap hit in year one. It comes out to about 5.50-5.75 annually.

CaliforniaCheez
03-05-2007, 06:46 AM
I bet the first guy who gets a crack at it isn't the solution.

Now there is a true statement. So true I got a good laugh.

Somehow over time people forget the weeks of floundering around in the dark without a clue until a solution is stumbled upon.

Guiness
03-05-2007, 06:59 AM
I wonder if Saints fans were outraged, disappointed, saddened, etc. when old Joe Johnson left them for Shermy's Packers.

Ouch! Zing!

Very mixed emotions on this. I would've loved to have Green back, even if he had to be overpaid a bit. If ANY other team had signed him to such a deal, I'd say the Pack undervalued him, and should've coughed up. But with this I will reserve my judgement.

We'll have to see what the market his. If T. Henry, Chris Brown, and Dillon get this kind of money, then the Pack should've paid him.

Fritz
03-05-2007, 07:05 AM
I'm reading a lot of common sense, practical comments here. And I agree that I wish Green well, but if Shermy's the one behind the signing, then I feel better about TT letting him go.

As a GM, Shermy found a few players in the draft on defense, but his sense of salary cap management was whacked.

Let's see what TT does, cuz this does put the pressure on him.

red
03-05-2007, 07:56 AM
LOL

wow

my joke thread intended to get a laugh out of retailguy turned into a real thread overnight

never expected that

Kiwon
03-05-2007, 08:09 AM
I know that the thread is a joke but even Sherman detactors cannot blame him....he doesn't write the checks for Houston.

Rastak
03-05-2007, 08:13 AM
I know that the thread is a joke but even Sherman detactors cannot blame him....he doesn't write the checks for Houston.

That's what I was thinking. I'm sure he has some influence but he isn't calling the shots.

Patler
03-05-2007, 08:29 AM
It is amazing though how many ex-Packers spent time there last year. At one time my count was up to about 10, as I recall.

woodbuck27
03-05-2007, 08:33 AM

The signing bonus can be spread throughout the duration of the contract, so no, it is not an 8-10 million dollar cap hit in year one. It comes out to about 5.50-5.75 annually.

Well it's now Monday AM 5 Mar. 2007 and I'm coming into this late so there will be no emotions.

I was in the let's sign Ahman Green to allow for options camp.

I see that he signed a contract with the Texans. Nice up front money, and at 5.57 million per season for four seasons. Great for Ahman.

The result for us. We have no number 1 RB and Ted Thompson has painted himself in a corner. Is Thompson numb or does he have an ego as big as elephant balls?

I read the should we fire TT thread and only three members say YES !

38 members say no to firing TT, over recent inactivity by him. The resounding majority remain loyal to TT; three members are on the fence.

Obviously, TT was willing to depart with Ahman Green and the contract that he secured with Houston was excellent for him.

I believe that once he left Green Bay to visit other teams he was gone, given the way he works to be on top of it, his dedication and professionalism, Ahman should be productive in the right system for the next 2 seasons.Time will tell.

We are in the position of having to say goodbye to a RB many of us loved. Forget about loyality today in PRO sports, as generally it's all about business.

Do we know how much TT authorized that he should be offered? Was Ahman insulted? These sort of questions are moot as he was quick out of town to get the payday he felt he deserved and he got it.

As I see it we are left without a number 1 RB. Ted Thompson should be concerned about that fact.

Arguments that Morency and Herron are the answer can't hold alot of weight.

packinpatland
03-05-2007, 08:35 AM
A.Green gets a big payday from a franchise that has proven itself inept in talent evaluation and it's Ted Thompson making you sick? Fans like you make me sick! Did you see the deal Green got? 6 or 7 Million up front in signing bonus and 23 million over 4 years! All that for a 30 year old RB who is one year removed from an inury that was so serious that it normally ends guys careers?

I like Green as much as the next Packer fan. I was hoping something could be worked out but to say that Thompson makes you sick because he refused to overpay and put the team's future in jeaprody just to sign a RB that is truthfully a questionmark for the next couple years is ridiculous!

Have you ever bothered to even look at the statistics for RB's over 30? They break down and it happens fast!

Do yourself a favor and get past the raw emotion of losing a Packer to another team. Green isn't the same player he was 4 years ago. He was slowing down. Don't get mad at Thompson for not overpaying and over-risking the franchise's money and RB position to a 30 year old RB with lots of wear and tear that is coming off a major injury! Don't be mad at Thompson for doing his job. He did the right thing. He tried to sign Green. Green felt he could get more money on the open market and did. Both Green and Thompson did what they had to do. I"m happy for A.Green and happy that Ted Thompson did the responsible thing.

Ok, I'll concede that some what you say is right, emotions should not take place when making 'busines' descions. I just hope this is not going to one of those cases that we're going to say 'why didn't we pay the man?",when he has a record season(s).
And just for the record, selfrightous 'fans' like you have a nauseating effect.
In no way did I attack you. I was under the assumption that folks could post here without getting browbeat.

Rastak
03-05-2007, 08:37 AM

Ok, I'll concede that some what you say is right, emotions should not take place when making 'busines' descions. I just hope this is not going to one of those cases that we're going to say 'why didn't we pay the man?",when he has a record season(s).
In no way did I attack you. I was under the assumption that folks could post here without getting browbeat.

You usually can unless you say something anti-Favre..... :)

Kiwon
03-05-2007, 08:40 AM
It is amazing though how many ex-Packers spent time there last year. At one time my count was up to about 10, as I recall.

Apparently Gary Kubiak doesn't think Mike Sherman was such a bad GM like most people do.

Patler
03-05-2007, 08:43 AM

Apparently Gary Kubiak doesn't think Mike Sherman was such a bad GM like most people do.

Except that many came and went very quickly.

Kiwon
03-05-2007, 08:51 AM

Except that many came and went very quickly.

Well, come on, IT IS the Texans!

The front office probably hopes Reggie Bush keeps playing celebrity basketball games during the off-season because Super Mario was not so super last year.

MadtownPacker
03-05-2007, 09:05 AM
In no way did I attack you. I was under the assumption that folks could post here without getting browbeat.I think everyone was just a lil emotional last night. I know I was ready to storn the Atrium.

We will all feel better when Moss comes to town. :P

gureski
03-05-2007, 01:37 PM
"And just for the record, selfrightous 'fans' like you have a nauseating effect.
In no way did I attack you. I was under the assumption that folks could post here without getting browbeat."

end quote

If setting the record straight on an issue bothers you OR if mentioning some facts that are important to a topic that you've just taken a hard stance on bothers you then you better not read my posts anymore.

For what it's worth, the mix in personalities and edge in posting is what makes forums like these work. Instead of getting upset about it, embrace it and find your niche or you wont last long.

Scott Campbell
03-05-2007, 01:49 PM
For what it's worth, the mix in personalities and edge in posting is what makes forums like these work.

I think bickering can damage our collective self esteem. I think it's important to remember - always agree with everything. That way peoples feelings won't get hurt.

gureski
03-05-2007, 01:51 PM
So, are you saying you're with me now on Craig Nall then?

I mean, if you want to agree on things.....

:D

Zool
03-05-2007, 02:06 PM
I really feel for Ahman running behind their line. Maybe they are better at run blocking than they are pass protection?

Scott Campbell
03-05-2007, 02:19 PM
So, are you saying you're with me now on Craig Nall then?

I forgot - what's your position on Nall?

woodbuck27
03-05-2007, 02:20 PM
I really feel for Ahman running behind their line. Maybe they are better at run blocking than they are pass protection?

The issue isn't Ahman trying to run for the Texans but rather Ahman not being allowed to run for 'the Packers' anymore.

In Ted we must TRUST.