PDA

View Full Version : Everybody chill out

GoPackGo
03-04-2007, 08:03 PM
I like the youth movement in Green Bay. Ahman Green was a nice player but he wanted to much money for a RB on the wrong side of 30.
here is a quote from a JS article that I agree with 100%:

"Instead of focusing on what the Packers view as a weak free-agent crop, they are preparing themselves for the second phase of free agency, when players who were left out of the bonus round begin adjusting their demands. The Packers also are interested in cleaning up after those teams who choose to cut high-priced veterans for financial reasons."

gbpackfan
03-04-2007, 08:05 PM
I wanted Green back. But what's done is done. What matters now is how TT fixes the RB situation.

Charles Woodson
03-04-2007, 08:06 PM
NO I WILL NOT JUST CHILL OUT

Anyways i think it will just take some time to process that Green wont be playing for us[/b]

packers11
03-04-2007, 08:08 PM
the reality of it is...

Green gets 1000 + yards next year we curse T.T. and say how it was the worse decision...

Green gets less than 1000 yards and doesn't play half of the games... We praise T.T. and say how he is a genius...

Time will only tell... :?

The Shadow
03-04-2007, 08:24 PM
Let's move ahead.

ZachMN
03-04-2007, 08:25 PM
I posted in another thread on this subject and I will post it here Green wasn't even able to practice regularly last season and he had a nice recovery but lets face it hes on the wrong side of thirty and had a significant leg injury he will mis time this year playing and for the money he wants thats unnacceptable. Period

Charles Woodson
03-04-2007, 08:26 PM
I posted in another thread on this subject and I will post it here Green wasn't even able to practice regularly last season and he had a nice recovery but lets face it hes on the wrong side of thirty and had a significant leg injury he will mis time this year playing and for the money he wants thats unnacceptable. Period

IDK but not being able to practice regularly and coming off with about 1300 total yards sounds decent to me

packers11
03-04-2007, 08:28 PM
close to 1100... 1059 to be exact...

The Shadow
03-04-2007, 08:28 PM
Soon. a new young RB will be looking good for the team, and Ahman's name will seldom come up.
The king is dead; long live the king.

Charles Woodson
03-04-2007, 08:38 PM
close to 1100... 1059 to be exact...

i know he also had a lil more than 300 yards of receiving

Ballboy
03-04-2007, 08:46 PM

Anyways i think it will just take some time to process that Green wont be playing for us[/b]

Who cares if Green rushed for the rushing title next year?

If the Packers make the playoffs, or even the Super Bowl, he could break every rushing record there is and it won't make a bit a differ to me or any other Packer fan for that matter.....we just want to win.

Charles Woodson
03-04-2007, 09:06 PM

Who cares if Green rushed for the rushing title next year?

If the Packers make the playoffs, or even the Super Bowl, he could break every rushing record there is and it won't make a bit a differ to me or any other Packer fan for that matter.....we just want to win.

Lol the first part was sarcasm but yes green was one of my favorite Packers. Yea i mean if we have a great season next year then i wont care about Green. But u basically said what i had been trying to say with the moss case. We get moss and he goes back to his studdly self and we win

ND72
03-04-2007, 09:09 PM
the reality of it is...

Green gets 1000 + yards next year we curse T.T. and say how it was the worse decision...

Green gets less than 1000 yards and doesn't play half of the games... We praise T.T. and say how he is a genius...

Time will only tell... :?

If he stays healthy, he will get 1000 yards just because.

MJZiggy
03-04-2007, 09:12 PM
I wonder if Houston will be good for his asthma...warmer and dryer than GB. Anyone have ideas on that?

BooHoo
03-04-2007, 09:13 PM
Ya, but the smog might kill him. :)

HarveyWallbangers
03-04-2007, 09:38 PM
It goes beyond stats. If Brett got cut tomorrow and we picked up Jake Plummer because we could save $10M on the cap, I doubt many people would be all the ecstatic--even if it made good business sense. Some of us were big fans of Ahman. (I don't need to hear from bulldog on this either--Brady and Brett have their warts also.) This hurts more than losing the other guys. For me, it goes way beyond losing a Sharper or Longwell to the Vikings. Anyways! I'll watch what goes on from here to make a final determination, but if the Pack heads into the season with a lot of money and bank on Morency and a rookie RB, I'll be even more pissed.

retailguy
03-04-2007, 10:02 PM
I wonder if Houston will be good for his asthma...warmer and dryer than GB. Anyone have ideas on that?

Houston is not drier than Green Bay. Houston is one of the most humid parts of the country.

I would not expect his asthma will be much of a factor. I can have an asthma attach in cold dry weather. It doesn't seem to matter much.

MJZiggy
03-04-2007, 10:04 PM
Oh. Thanks. Then I guess I won't be moving to Houston!

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-04-2007, 10:06 PM
It goes beyond stats. If Brett got cut tomorrow and we picked up Jake Plummer because we could save $10M on the cap, I doubt many people would be all the ecstatic--even if it made good business sense. Some of us were big fans of Ahman. (I don't need to hear from bulldog on this either--Brady and Brett have their warts also.) This hurts more than losing the other guys. For me, it goes way beyond losing a Sharper or Longwell to the Vikings. Anyways! I'll watch what goes on from here to make a final determination, but if the Pack heads into the season with a lot of money and bank on Morency and a rookie RB, I'll be even more pissed.

I feel the same way, sharper and longwell didn't bother me that much. But Green was one of of my favs for sure.

MadtownPacker
03-04-2007, 10:13 PM
OK, OK, Im putting the gun down.

b bulldog
03-04-2007, 10:14 PM
Wrong side of 30, I think TT made the correct decision here.

retailguy
03-04-2007, 10:16 PM
OK, OK, Im putting the gun down.

I'm not worried about the gun.... It's the switchblade and the 63 impala I'm worried about.

Bretsky
03-04-2007, 10:16 PM
The economics of the game is changing with every team having plenty of money; if you want a top guy you will have to pay for him.

Our representation of what is fair market value is warped in a market with teams having plenty of room under the higher cap.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-04-2007, 10:18 PM

Acutally he's not on either side :P

retailguy
03-04-2007, 10:21 PM

Seems to me that philosophy only applies when you have somebody that is capable, and ready to step in. That isn't the case here. Morency and Herron are less experienced and less proven than Maurice Jones-Drew and Taylor got a new contract....

There is more to this than just his age.

Partial
03-04-2007, 10:43 PM

Seems to me that philosophy only applies when you have somebody that is capable, and ready to step in. That isn't the case here. Morency and Herron are less experienced and less proven than Maurice Jones-Drew and Taylor got a new contract....

There is more to this than just his age.

Yep, his serious injury, his lack of speed, and his demand for high wages which a small organization could go without losing.

Packers4Ever
03-04-2007, 11:02 PM

MJ, I think the heat and humidity down there
could be a killer much of the year.
Now Arizona Cardinals......another story.

HarveyWallbangers
03-04-2007, 11:05 PM
Yep, his serious injury, his lack of speed, and his demand for high wages which a small organization could go without losing.

WTF? He's still faster than most RBs in the league. He seemed to rebound for his serious injury. The FA RBs that are available (Lewis, Rhodes, Henry, Brown) have all missed considerably more time than Ahman. Small organization? That doesn't hold wash at all. There's revenue sharing in the NFL and Green Bay has more available money saved up then most teams. They have well over $100M saved up. Green Bay is not a small organization in the NFL.

Patler
03-05-2007, 05:54 AM

Houston is not drier than Green Bay. Houston is one of the most humid parts of the country.

I would not expect his asthma will be much of a factor. I can have an asthma attach in cold dry weather. It doesn't seem to matter much.

Several times over the years articles had indicated Green was bothered by his athsma more in the early part of the season than after it got colder. However, perhaps even more significantly, his fumbles have occured more in the early season than later, and the Packers even attributed it to his profuse sweating in the hot and humid weather.

Fritz
03-05-2007, 06:56 AM
I had hopes the Packers would keep Green, but at the same time that's a mighty big contract for a guy who can not carry the load any more all the time. There has been much bitching on this site about how Green would often ask to be pulled in third down or other crucial situations because he needed a breather.

Don't get me wrong - I liked the guy. But the Texans seem to have pulled a Mike Sherman and way overpaid a guy who is breaking down more frequently and is not the guy he was three or four years ago.

Also, i wanted to point out that for all the talk about hte Pakcers' huge salary cap space, if TT is still talking about re-doing Barnett's contract, and if he is talking about acquiring Moss (my gues is the longer he waits the cheaper the price), then much of that 21 mill will be zapped. And if I'm reading the Green contract correctly, he's getting 6.5 this year, and nearly as much next year.

Let's see how things play out. As someone said elsewhere, if Green rushes for 1200 yards and stays healthy - and does it for the next three years - then TT was wrong. If, however, Houston fans are moaning next year about having been saddled with a huge sal cap hit for a broken down running back who fumbles, then TT was right.

I think Mike Sherman once again displayed his tendency to overpay for aging vets, but we'll see. He sure does have a lot of pull down in Houston, thoguh.

Zool
03-05-2007, 08:35 AM

WTF? He's still faster than most RBs in the league. He seemed to rebound for his serious injury. The FA RBs that are available (Lewis, Rhodes, Henry, Brown) have all missed considerably more time than Ahman. Small organization? That doesn't hold wash at all. There's revenue sharing in the NFL and Green Bay has more available money saved up then most teams. They have well over $100M saved up. Green Bay is not a small organization in the NFL.

I'll buy this one too. The Packers have no specific ownership looking to turn a specific % of revenues into money in their bank account. That helps alot.

Guiness
03-05-2007, 08:42 AM
Let's see how things play out. As someone said elsewhere, if Green rushes for 1200 yards and stays healthy - and does it for the next three years - then TT was wrong. If, however, Houston fans are moaning next year about having been saddled with a huge sal cap hit for a broken down running back who fumbles, then TT was right.

Don't think if we'll ever know whether or not he still had something left in the tank. There's very little chance of him running for over 1K next year, and his receiving will be down (they don't do many screens). Have you seen their line play? LT would struggle to put up good numbers.

So just because he does poorly stat wise next year doesn't mean he couldn't have performed for us.

Oh ya, one more nail in the coffin - I think the humidity will kill him, asthma wise, until much later in the season. Expect to see him sitting out plays more often.

woodbuck27
03-05-2007, 08:45 AM
For me, it goes way beyond losing a Sharper or Longwell to the Vikings. Anyways! I'll watch what goes on from here to make a final determination, but if the Pack heads into the season with a lot of money and bank on Morency and a rookie RB, I'll be even more pissed.

This post speaks for me as well.

wist43
03-05-2007, 08:55 AM
The bottom line is the Packers just lost their best RB, and one of their best overall players...

Even if they get Lynch in the draft, he's not going to be nearly as productive as Green would have been for this year.

The Packers window, small as it is, i.e. as long as Favre is there - just got smaller.

Badgerinmaine
03-05-2007, 09:06 AM

Houston's very humid, but don't the Texans close the roof on Reliant Stadium and turn on the A/c when the weather's humid?

GBRulz
03-05-2007, 09:07 AM

Exactly. GB ranked 5th last year I believe for overall revenue. No, they don't have an owner with unlimited pockets like Jones, but they do very well financially. Thank those of us that go to games and buy $7 beer :lol: :P