PDA

View Full Version : Should TT be fired?

Brando19
03-04-2007, 08:51 PM
Ted Thompson screwed up majorly, again, in my opinion. He let Ahman Green go to the Texans. I believe he's screwed up a few times by not being as active as he should and the whole Javon Walker situation. I'm not saying he should be fired because FA has just begun and we'll see what happens, I'm just curious to what everyone else thinks.

BallHawk
03-04-2007, 08:57 PM
Maybe you're overreacting just a little bit. Just a teensy, weensy, bit...

Brando19
03-04-2007, 09:02 PM
Yeah I may be overreacting. I voted for time will tell because I'm angry right now. The Packers have alot of money. They had alot of money last year. The man needs to use it so we can get better!

The Shadow
03-04-2007, 09:03 PM
AGAIN with this stupid crap??????
Every time a GM - who obviously has this team on the rise - makes a tough choice regarding players, the jocksniffing worshippers stamp their feet, threaten to hold their breaths, & create 'Fire Thompson' polls.
Enough! Grow up!!!

The Shadow
03-04-2007, 09:05 PM
Sorry, over-reacted.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Brando19
03-04-2007, 09:05 PM
Every time a GM - who obviously has this team on the rise - makes a tough choice regarding players, the jocksniffing worshippers stamp their feet, threaten to hold their breaths, & create 'Fire Thompson' polls.
Enough! Grow up!!!

You can just shut the hell up! I have a voice of opinion on this site just like you do...unfortunately. And the poll is "Who thinks he should be fired?" Not..."Who thinks the Shadow is a puss?" So don't get your panties in a twist...u don't like the poll....MOVE ON!

ND72
03-04-2007, 09:06 PM
I'm on the NO side, cause I personally think TT did the right thing in not signing Green to a long term contract. He'll do well in Houston, running plays he probably ran for years in GB with Sherman. I'm personally not too worried about this, this will just make TT hopefully, and it will, make him more active now for a RB.

PERSONALLY...If I'm TT thinking I will probably spend a 1st or 2nd round pick on a RB, how bout we just trade our 2nd or 3rd for McGahee in Buffalo.

Brando19
03-04-2007, 09:07 PM
I'm on the NO side, cause I personally think TT did the right thing in not signing Green to a long term contract. He'll do well in Houston, running plays he probably ran for years in GB with Sherman. I'm personally not too worried about this, this will just make TT hopefully, and it will, make him more active now for a RB.

PERSONALLY...If I'm TT thinking I will probably spend a 1st or 2nd round pick on a RB, how bout we just trade our 2nd or 3rd for McGahee in Buffalo.

I like McGahee. I also like some of the RB's in the draft. What do you think of Corey Dillon?

BallHawk
03-04-2007, 09:08 PM
I think everyone in this forum has an arch nemesis. We should all fight to the death, IMO, but that's just me.

BallHawk
03-04-2007, 09:10 PM
Who voted "Yes." I won't flame, I'm just curious.

Brando19
I think everyone in this forum has an arch nemesis. We should all fight to the death, IMO, but that's just me.

Lol...I know what you mean! I just post a thread to see what everyone here thinks and all of a sudden some no name comes out of nowhere and starts calling me a "jocksniffing worshipper"..creepy, but whatever the hell that means...and tells me to grow up. I don't bash people's opinons on this forum and i sure as hell don't expect mine to get bashed.

The Shadow
I have fallen arches.
Do they count?

ND72
I like McGahee. I also like some of the RB's in the draft. What do you think of Corey Dillon?

NO...i'd rather put out $7 mil to Ahman Green than Corey Dillion. I thought he was on his last legs last year. He should have retired.

BooHoo
03-04-2007, 09:11 PM
Letting Green walk is not grounds for firing TT. IMHO.

Spaulding
03-04-2007, 09:14 PM
I'm with Ballhawk on fighting to the death, unless there's beer on hand - then I'm for why can't we all be friends. Anyways, Thunderdome - two posters enter, one poster leaves :D

As for the vote - no, it hurts as Batman was one of my faves, but with the youth movement we're making why lock up an injured aging running back for four years. We'd obviously have the option to cut him after year one or year two but that would be just as much a slap in the face if not more than letting him go to greener pastures while he still has some tread left.

The Shadow
03-04-2007, 09:15 PM

Lol...I know what you mean! I just post a thread to see what everyone here thinks and all of a sudden some no name comes out of nowhere and starts calling me a "jocksniffing worshipper"..creepy, but whatever the hell that means...and tells me to grow up. I don't bash people's opinons on this forum and i sure as hell don't expect mine to get bashed.

Don't be so modest. You surely have been told over & over by now to grow up.

Brando19
03-04-2007, 09:16 PM

There are 2 Yes votes now...interesting..I'd like to know who voted yes as well, just being curious.

MJZiggy
03-04-2007, 09:18 PM
Good point. Him getting cut might have made tempers here worse. :shock: Someone posted earlier about it being upsetting when Edgar lost out to Dorsey and when Dorsey lost out. We can't change what happened. So where do we go from here?

the_idle_threat
03-04-2007, 09:18 PM

There are 2 Yes votes now...interesting..I'd like to know who voted yes as well, just being curious.

Is Tank lurking? :D

Charles Woodson
03-04-2007, 09:19 PM
This is my opinion, but i think this thread was stupid. I mean what good came out of starting this thread?

Brando19

And I'm sure you've been told over and over again to quit being an unlikeable dick as well, but do you listen? Obviously not

BallHawk

Judging that losing Green is very emotional for some people, especially woman...

GBRulz and Zig.

JK :D :wink:

BooHoo
03-04-2007, 09:20 PM
Tank is like "Chicken Man" he's everywhere, he's everywhere!

BallHawk
03-04-2007, 09:21 PM

And I'm sure you've been told over and over again to quit being an unlikeable dick as well, but do you listen? Obviously not

Maybe we should start a thread in the RR where we can shout at each other freely. Who says Yes?

Brando19
03-04-2007, 09:22 PM
YES YES YES! Maybe we can play Mortal Kombat online and beat each other....OH WAIT!!! Was that not a grown up statement? Sorry shadow, I'm trying!

MJZiggy
03-04-2007, 09:24 PM
Ballhawk, watch it buddy!!! :smack: :taunt: :mrgreen:

I am sad but hardly think TT should be fired for it.

The Shadow
03-04-2007, 09:24 PM

Actually, I am a quite likeable dick.
Now then : you must understand that if you quack like a duck, and walk like a duck, folks are going to quite naturally assume you ARE a duck.
If you sniff and worship jocks, you really can't blame anyone for thinking you ARE a jocksniffing worshipper.

Brando19
03-04-2007, 09:25 PM
Once again...I'm just curious as to who does.

Brando19
03-04-2007, 09:26 PM

Actually, I am a quite likeable dick.
Now then : you must understand that if you quack like a duck, and walk like a duck, folks are going to quite naturally assume you ARE a duck.
If you sniff and worship jocks, you really can't blame anyone for thinking you ARE a jocksniffing worshipper.

Listen...all this talk about sniffing jocks is creeping me out..what you do on your own time doesn't mean everyone enjoys it so let's just leave it at that.

Tony Oday
03-04-2007, 09:30 PM
I vote no for now I mean it can always change, but TT rebuilt our depth after Sherman went for the one good FA theory or one good Draft pick becasue he thought we were only one piece away from it all, that hurt the depth. TT rebuilt that and has kept Favre here an extra year.

BooHoo
03-04-2007, 09:31 PM
LOL :lol:

The Shadow
03-04-2007, 09:35 PM
[/quote]Listen...all this talk about sniffing jocks is creeping me out..what you do on your own time doesn't mean everyone enjoys it so let's just leave it at that.[/quote]

I think it is YOUR time constructing negative polls we were concerned about.

HarveyWallbangers
03-04-2007, 09:43 PM
Hmmm... I didn't like this move, but shouldn't we see what moves he makes to shore up the RB spot before judging this move?

Brando19
03-04-2007, 09:44 PM
You're right, shadow. I shouldn't have created this poll in the first place. I was just curious to see how people would vote. I apologize for being an ass to you and I apologize to the rest of the forum for letting my temper get the best of me. I promise..no more dumb polls.

packers11
03-04-2007, 09:45 PM
I got a call... It was shermy... He voted yes...

The Shadow
03-04-2007, 09:46 PM
Brando19
That's perfectly ok. All polls should be acceptable.
Sniping at each other is just part of the deal, esp. when passionate opinions are involved.

cheesner
03-04-2007, 09:50 PM
Fire him!

And give the next guy a one month contract! And if that guy doesn't win a Superbowl by then - don't extend the contract.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-04-2007, 09:55 PM
No he shouldn't be fired because overall he's a good GM, but he sure as hell should of signed Green. And it wouldn't hurt to try and sign at least one free agent now that the first wave is just about over.

Packers4Ever
03-04-2007, 11:29 PM
I agree, it would be foolish to fire TT at this point. I am sick
about Ahman leaving too but what's done now is done. TT
had his reasons, things you and I don't know a thing about, and we just have to trust him for that. I truly think the man is trying to do what's best for the organization.

SD GB fan
03-05-2007, 12:39 AM
uhh i dont see the point of this topic. i mean, most people, including me, are disappointed that green has to leave but business is business. i dont think the packer organization will die off because of his particular case. hell, what is TT going to do next couple of years? chain brett favre to his locker so he cant retire so he doesnt take blame? creating this thread will only evoke arguments and personal attacks on other posters, WHO HAVE NO POWER TO CHANGE THE CIRCUMSTANCES.

Pacopete4
03-05-2007, 12:55 AM
this is some of the most immature, stupid banter ive seen.. thats all i got..

GBRulz
03-05-2007, 01:19 AM

Judging that losing Green is very emotional for some people, especially woman...

GBRulz and Zig.

JK :D :wink:

ballhawk, do you want my tissue shoved up your... ah, nm :lol:

I'm very disappointed that we didn't resign Green. No TT doesn't deserve to be fired over this, but he did make alot more work for himself on finding talent for our running game.

CaliforniaCheez
03-05-2007, 02:03 AM
Ahman Green is not worth more than Kampmann anymore.

If Ted signed Ahman to a 24 million contract over 4 years would you be happy 2 years from now?

Ahman Green is worth at least a 5th round compensatory pick next year.

His signing with the the Texans is a good deal for Ahman, congratulations. Too bad Ahman Green will not complete that contract with the Texans.

Life goes on. Samkon Gado was a very cheap replacement. A lower cost option like Samkon will be found as well as a more expensive one than Morency.

There are options other than a wastful first round pick on an RB also. Ted will make the right call whether we like it or not.

Don't think Marshawn Lynch will be a Packer. There could be a better pick in the 3rd or 4th round. Don't worry.

swede
03-05-2007, 07:41 AM
I like these insta-polls.

It's like the omnipresent and ever-fluctuating ratings that dictated the actions of ZIK-Zak in the old Max Headroom show.

And I think it is quite informative to know that despite losing one of the most popular and productive running backs in Green Bay history that about 80% of the forum posters continue to support TT in general.

My own internal polling suggests that most of the posters on this site are in favor of good cap management and the ensuing tough personnel choices it entails.

HOWEVER--AG was the only dude I felt worth overpaying in order to preserve some team identity in an era of free agent migration, salary cap casualties, and the roster turnover brought about by rebuilding.

swede
03-05-2007, 07:44 AM
What really makes me mad is the $300 I have invested in my kid's Ahman Green jerseys.

Maybe kids in Houston will buy them on e-bay.

I'll just forget to mention they're Packer jerseys.

red
03-05-2007, 08:28 AM
i like the poll. many posters are furious over the fact the green is gone

he asked the question, are you mad enough at TT to want him fired?

i think the results are a little surprising. even though theres a lot of TT hate right now, almost everyone thinks he should not be hired right now

i picked the maybe in time answer. we have to wait and see what he does about this, and how the does this year. if we look bad again next year, and it turns out TT did very little to help the team. then it might be time for him to go.

prsnfoto
03-05-2007, 08:43 AM
I am pretty sure Retail Guy voted yes his love for Sherman is never ending, I voted maybe in the future. I liked Ahman and maybe this was a mistake but the reality is it is only a two year contract none of these big signings will be honored Nate Clements is the most obvious it is a 5-6 year deal.

MadtownPacker
03-05-2007, 08:51 AM
I can't believe there is only one "fire TT" thread.

We must be getting soft. :lol:

woodbuck27
03-05-2007, 08:53 AM
As many of you must realize on this board.Ted Thompson's style of managing the Packers drives me nearly to the brink at times.

He's a difficult study. :)

Should he be fired based on any criticisms of him so far this off season?

Of course not. He now will be judged based on how well he reacts to us losing Ahman Green and how that shows up in the win - loss column in 2007.

I'm one of the time will tell voters.

It really sucks to be a Packer fan, because we are so very weak on offense.I really hoped that Ahman would be in the fold for 2007 and now Ted Thompson has some more real work to do. Really what are his options to set OUR 'O' up better for next season?

Today how many of you really believe, based on 'the facts'. that we will improve on our 8-8 record of last season in 2007?

I certainly can't see that happening, especially given the more difficult schedule.

erock9
03-05-2007, 09:02 AM
Well, should TT be fired, um.... NO! I think it was a good business decision based on Ahman's age and injury problems in the past, and his rep for funmbling and not being the best passing catching back! I don't see how TT could or would even want to pay him that much!

Thank you Ahman for your years of service here, and Congrads on the new contract. Good luck in Houston....

Zool
03-05-2007, 09:05 AM
injury problems in the past, and his rep for funmbling and not being the best passing catching back!

Get ready for it...here it comes.....

Badgerinmaine
03-05-2007, 09:10 AM

I'm with ND72 across the board here. I'll miss Green--he was one of my favorites--but running backs are brittle even when they haven't had as many injury issues and as many years of pounding as Ahman's had. I don't care a lot for TT's personality, but I think it's way too soon to say he should be fired.

Zool
03-05-2007, 09:42 AM
This poll is about as reasonable as a poll in 1993 would have been.

Do you want Favre benched? yes/no

Packnut
03-05-2007, 09:59 AM
Enough! Grow up!!!

How about enough of the blind faith crap with no FACTS to back your opinion. I saw no evidence of this"team on the rise" when we played NY and the Pats. WE beat 3 bad teams and one who did'nt care the last 4 weeks of the season. This teams has some HUGE holes to fill.

All you do is spout the same "Thompson is great" shit but yet there is nothing but may-be and could be to back you up. If you EVER made one post with one fact in it, I'd have another heart attack.

SkinBasket
03-05-2007, 10:12 AM
So I asked her why she wanted to buy a horse. I mean, really, what's the sense in owning a big dumb beast that does nothing but eat and shit all day and isn't even smart enough to lay down when it sleeps? Well, she got all excited and said they were the most beautiful and intelligent animals on the planet outside of the canine. Great, I thought, another animal that offers nothing but some peanut butter blow jobs in return for a lifetime of feeding, grooming, and cleaning up shit. In the end we decided the offer would be suspended for another year, until the finances could be sorted out after her brother's tragic death.

The Ted Thompson situation is a lot like this too, so I think we should take a similar course and concentrate on what's important here. I won't vote, but I hope this clears up my position on the matter, because if this doesn't, I don't believe anything will.

woodbuck27
03-05-2007, 10:19 AM
So I asked her why she wanted to buy a horse. I mean, really, what's the sense in owning a big dumb beast that does nothing but eat and shit all day and isn't even smart enough to lay down when it sleeps? Well, she got all excited and said they were the most beautiful and intelligent animals on the planet outside of the canine. Great, I thought, another animal that offers nothing but some peanut butter blow jobs in return for a lifetime of feeding, grooming, and cleaning up shit. In the end we decided the offer would be suspended for another year, until the finances could be sorted out after her brother's tragic death.

The Ted Thompson situation is a lot like this too, so I think we should take a similar course and concentrate on what's important here. I won't vote, but I hope this clears up my position on the matter, because if this doesn't, I don't believe anything will.

Yup.

Zool
03-05-2007, 10:22 AM
So you're the horse Skin?

SkinBasket
03-05-2007, 10:22 AM
Yup.

I knew you would understand woodrow.

Partial
03-05-2007, 10:28 AM
Enough! Grow up!!!

How about enough of the blind faith crap with no FACTS to back your opinion. I saw no evidence of this"team on the rise" when we played NY and the Pats. WE beat 3 bad teams and one who did'nt care the last 4 weeks of the season. This teams has some HUGE holes to fill.

All you do is spout the same "Thompson is great" shit but yet there is nothing but may-be and could be to back you up. If you EVER made one post with one fact in it, I'd have another heart attack.

Did you ask each and every player if they cared? If you did not, then I will not believe they did not.

mmmdk
03-05-2007, 10:57 AM
TT wants to build through the draft - GOOD - the trouble is though that you actually have to DRAFT PLAYMAKERS.

So far not so good on drafts, TT. Apart from AJ Hawk there's a few "maybe" playmakers in Jennings and in Spitz/Colledge - if OGs can even be considered playmkars at all. A. Rodgers has potential but he's not a RB and it's well known that Rodgers is still a question mark at that. The rest are roleplayers with limited upside but a gem might be hidden somewhere on the GB roster - you never know for sure. But TTs drafts have been less than spectacular - to say the least. TT must draft better.

The best scoops TT has done are Woodson, Pickett, Rayner (solid year for a soph) and Gado who was then traded for Morency - now a nice backup RB. All through free agency/trade.

mmmdk
03-05-2007, 10:57 AM
TT wants to build through the draft - GOOD - the trouble is though that you actually have to DRAFT PLAYMAKERS.

So far not so good on drafts, TT. Apart from AJ Hawk there's a few "maybe" playmakers in Jennings and in Spitz/Colledge - if OGs can even be considered playmkars at all. A. Rodgers has potential but he's not a RB and it's well known that Rodgers is still a question mark at that. The rest are roleplayers with limited upside but a gem might be hidden somewhere on the GB roster - you never know for sure. But TTs drafts have been less than spectacular - to say the least. TT must draft better.

The best scoops TT has done are Woodson, Pickett, Rayner (solid year for a soph) and Gado who was then traded for Morency - now a nice backup RB. All through free agency/trade.

Badgerinmaine
03-05-2007, 11:53 AM

(snip)

This part of the post reads a lot like the weird jumbled spam I get in e-mail trying to get me to buy penny stocks. That isn't you sending them, is it? 8)

Merlin
03-05-2007, 02:58 PM
I wanted TT fired before he made one move for the Packers. He is an arrogant SOB who is hell bent on making this HIS TEAM. He signed Woodson out of desperation because the organization and fans in general were pissed off, he surely wasn't pursuing him very hard if at all. Other then that, we could have gone without Pickett who did a fine job for us but Jackson would have done the same when healthy. We definitely could have done without Manual and Robinson hasn't played enough yet to know if that was a good pickup. I think he is. We went into last season with 10 Mil in our pockets and got nothing for it. IDIOT...

Scott Campbell
03-05-2007, 03:01 PM
So that's a YES vote?

FritzDontBlitz
03-05-2007, 03:11 PM
hilarious thread.

by the way, i voted no.....but, if you've seen any of my previous posts about green on this site you know i definitely feel like kicking teddy's ass right now.... :evil:

MJZiggy
03-05-2007, 03:19 PM
Ummm...I think that's a very common feeling in Packerland today. I hope he's got someone watching his dog!!!

FritzDontBlitz
03-05-2007, 03:48 PM
Ummm...I think that's a very common feeling in Packerland today. I hope he's got someone watching his dog!!!

i think even dan devine would be aimin at tt's dog right about now :lol:

The Shadow
03-05-2007, 04:40 PM
All you do is spout the same "Thompson is great" shit but yet there is nothing but may-be and could be to back you up. If you EVER made one post with one fact in it, I'd have another heart attack.[/b]

How about doubling the win total last year?
Going from the 5th pick to the 16th?
Finishing the season by whipping the Super Bowl team that whipped you in game 1?
Rebuilding the talent base ravaged by Mike Sherman?
Building a promising defense?
Finding talented young offensive linemen?
Finding ways to add draft picks?
Getting Favre enthusiastic enough to keep playing?
Creating a very healthy salary cap situation?

Now off you go to have that blood pressure checked.

PackerTimer
03-05-2007, 05:29 PM
Don't some of you ever get sick of whining about this. TT is doing a great job until he passes on somebody that you think he should sign. News flash for most of you, you don't know jack squat when it comes to running a football team. Don't feel bad, neither do I or anybody else posting on these message boards.

What you should see is that TT has taken a roster devoid of talent and full of overpaid aging players and turned it into a yound and improving football team. He helped build a team in Seattle teh exact same way. We maybe won't play in the Super Bowl next year but we will likely be better than we were this year by drafting some quality players and bringing in a few new faces via free agency. The constant hand wringing over passing a free agent is annoying. Worse, the perception that TT is doing nothing is beyond stupid.

FritzDontBlitz
03-05-2007, 05:31 PM
Don't some of you ever get sick of whining about this. TT is doing a great job until he passes on somebody that you think he should sign. News flash for most of you, you don't know jack squat when it comes to running a football team. Don't feel bad, neither do I or anybody else posting on these message boards.

What you should see is that TT has taken a roster devoid of talent and full of overpaid aging players and turned it into a yound and improving football team. He helped build a team in Seattle teh exact same way. We maybe won't play in the Super Bowl next year but we will likely be better than we were this year by drafting some quality players and bringing in a few new faces via free agency. The constant hand wringing over passing a free agent is annoying. Worse, the perception that TT is doing nothing is beyond stupid.

ok, so what is tt doing?

Scott Campbell
03-05-2007, 05:32 PM
The constant hand wringing over passing a free agent is annoying. Worse, the perception that TT is doing nothing is beyond stupid.

Yup. What he said.

Scott Campbell
03-05-2007, 05:34 PM
ok, so what is tt doing?

He's deliberately keeping you in the dark.

Lurker64
03-05-2007, 05:49 PM
ok, so what is tt doing?

He's deliberately keeping you in the dark.

You weren't supposed to tell him! Didn't you read the Memo from Thompson?

packerbacker1234
03-05-2007, 06:01 PM
First off with Javon Walker, I APPLAUD TT. Walker was being a selfish prick. He had one good year and instantly thought he deserved perenial Probowl cash. Screw walker. TT just said paly out your contract and if you have CONTINUING success like the ONE GOOD YEAR, you will get payed.

Walker said f that and demanded out for the $. Packers obliged. So drop the whole Javon Crap.

You see him play last year? Many dropped balls including several key deep throws in the playoff game that bassically cost them the game. Sure he got his fair share of yards and stuff, but when his team needed him the most he failed. Good riddance. Al having walker would do is keep over shadowing how much better Driver is then walker.I said this even in the big year Walker had that I thought driver was the better reciever. ALl walker did was prove it last year that Driver truly is better.

As for Letting Ahman go. I am "ok" with it. He got payed more then I would pay him and Mornecy may do just fine if he has to carry the load. With favre around we tend to pass first anyways so having a more potent passing offense I think is more of a priority then RB. I think we'll do just fine.

TT for now has done nothing to lose his job.

PackerTimer
03-05-2007, 06:13 PM
Other then that, we could have gone without Pickett who did a fine job for us but Jackson would have done the same when healthy.

You have got to be kidding. We exchanged Jackson for a younger, better player and you think it was a move we could have done without. Jackson and his fat lazy ass isn't even in Pickets league anymore.

And how the hell does a guy sign a player who he wasn't pursuing? Do you honestly believe that Thomson just decided he was gonna call a guy to appease Packer fans? Face reality, TT is not all that interested in who fans want him to sign, nor should he be.

Manual was a player almsot everybody on the board was happy with at this time last year. The way some of you claim that the players he has brought in aren't any good, despite evidence to the contrary, to further some perception that TT doesn't do anything is laughable. As I said before, the belief that he is sitting at his desk and not doing anything is beyond stupid.