PDA

View Full Version : moss patriot talks heat back up

red
03-05-2007, 08:51 AM
from rotoworld

Report: Patriots showing interest in Moss

The Patriots have reportedly shown interest in trading for Randy Moss.
Bill Belichick has long admired Moss and believes he could set him straight, ala Corey Dillon a few years back. More importantly, Moss would be a great value if the Patriots only had to give up a mid-round draft pick for him. The biggest factor working against Moss moving is a new deal: He'd have to take a paycut to leave Oakland. Mar. 5 - 9:41 am et
Source: Boston Herald

from pft

MOSS TO PATS TALK INCREASES

We've mentioned a couple of times over the past few days that the New England Patriots are an under-the-radar candidate for Raiders receiver Randy Moss.

Well, they were under the radar.

John Tomase of the Boston Herald confirms that the Pats have shown interest in acquiring Moss. Per Tomase, coach Bill Belichick has "long been enamored" with Moss and would welcome the opportunity to bring him to New England at the right price.

The key phrase here is "at the right price." Under his current deal, Moss is scheduled to earn $9.75 million in 2007 and $11.25 million in 2008. And with his current abilities tough to gauge through the haze of general crappiness that has been the Oakland offense of late, there's no way that the Patriots could justify devoting nearly eight figures of cap space to him.

The alternative is to convert as much of his salary as possible to a signing bonus, which would reduce the cap number but at the same time limit the team's options if he comes into camp and Belichick decides that he simply doesn't have it anymore. Though his salary is high, it can all be avoided if he's cut before the start of the regular season.

And don't rule out the possibility that the Pats are merely faking interest in Moss. Such an approach might prompt a division rival (such as the Dolphins) to jump into the bidding and give up too much to get him. Likewise, a belief that the Pats want Moss could drive down the price tag for any other free-agent receivers in which they might be interested.

Our gut feeling on this one? If the Patriots could get him through a trade and a contract that is fair, they'd do it. For proof of it, look no further than the depth chart at the position, which currently has the names "Reche Caldwell" and "Jabar Gaffney" at the top of the list.

packers11
03-05-2007, 09:07 AM
come on T.T. don't let the patriots rob you on this one...

MadtownPacker
03-05-2007, 09:10 AM
Another reason to hate belichick.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-05-2007, 09:41 AM
With the pats having two first rounders, I think they have a better chance at Moss than we do.

packers11
03-05-2007, 09:53 AM
"Moss is on the block after two disappointing seasons in Oakland. The Raiders have worked on a deal that would send the mercurial wide receiver to Green Bay, with the Packers offering quarterback Aaron Rodgers and the Raiders holding out for a first-round pick, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

The Packers don’t seem in much of a rush to pull the trigger, however, which has left an opening for the Pats. " BOSTON HERALD

SON OF A BITCH TEDDY... Don't wait ... If he goes to pats, im gunna flip out...

LL2
03-05-2007, 10:12 AM
With the pats having two first rounders, I think they have a better chance at Moss than we do.

I agree. Not only do they have two first rd picks, but Moss wants to play for a contender. We just might lose out on this one.

LL2
03-05-2007, 10:16 AM
"Moss is on the block after two disappointing seasons in Oakland. The Raiders have worked on a deal that would send the mercurial wide receiver to Green Bay, with the Packers offering quarterback Aaron Rodgers and the Raiders holding out for a first-round pick, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

The Packers don’t seem in much of a rush to pull the trigger, however, which has left an opening for the Pats. " BOSTON HERALD

If the Raiders do trade Moss for Rodgers this will change the entire first round of the draft. They would most likely take Calvin, and Stupid Lions would pass on Quinn (they didn’t even show up at Quinns pro day at ND this past weekend) or Russell. This could cause Quinn to be this years ARod. Could this be what TT is hoping for and find him there at 16?

digitaldean
03-05-2007, 10:22 AM

If the Raiders do trade Moss for Rodgers this will change the entire first round of the draft. They would most likely take Calvin, and Stupid Lions would pass on Quinn (they didn’t even show up at Quinns pro day at ND this past weekend) or Russell. This could cause Quinn to be this years ARod. Could this be what TT is hoping for and find him there at 16?
Not to add any more fuel to the conspiracy fire, but TT WAS at the Notre Dame pro day this past weekend.... VERY INTERESTING

woodbuck27
03-05-2007, 10:27 AM

From what I've seen of Aaron Rodgers I'd make this deal in a NY minute.

The real issue here is the actual cost to OUR CAP. If we can get a straight up trade for Randy Moss and retain all OUR picks then the string has to be pulled by Ted Thompson, otherwise more darkness will be shed on his future in Green Bay.

I can't help but feel this:

It's time for Packer fans to get real here; not hold that all the Ted does, doesn't do is golden.

pbmax
03-05-2007, 10:40 AM
Notre Dame has two Pro Days this month. So the Lions not being at this one might not be significant.

LL2
03-05-2007, 10:47 AM
Notre Dame has two Pro Days this month. So the Lions not being at this one might not be significant.

True, it was also noted not too many actually showed up for this one, but considering how highly touted Quinn was it still is odd the showing of scouts, coaches and GM was sparse. I wouldn't be surprised to see an updated mock draft showing him slipping out of the top 10.

Pack_Attack88
03-05-2007, 12:19 PM
let Moss go if its for anything more than a 3rd...

I would give up a 3rd and a conditional pick next year but thats it!!!!

Bretsky
03-05-2007, 07:18 PM
let Moss go if its for anything more than a 3rd...

I would give up a 3rd and a conditional pick next year but thats it!!!!

I'd agree with this, but would hope the conditional is not too high.

HarveyWallbangers
03-05-2007, 09:28 PM
I'd agree also. ESPN said it was unlikely, for various reasons, that the Patriots would be able to trade from Moss.

Packers4Glory
03-06-2007, 03:31 AM
so we lost a playmaker on offense in green...Henry is gone. lynch and peterson will be gone by the time we draft....so we now have even less on offense than last yr. this is a super offseason. glad we have all that cap room.

Fritz
03-06-2007, 07:48 AM
Thank goodness the fans don't run this team. Many people would run this like a fantasy team, but in reality, the team would be aging, overpaid, and mediocre.

GrnBay007
03-06-2007, 07:53 AM
Thank goodness the fans don't run this team. Many people would run this like a fantasy team

What's wrong with a great group of TE's? :twisted: :P :wink:

Fritz
03-06-2007, 07:57 AM
Nothing. I like a good tight end as much as anybody...

Packers4Glory
03-07-2007, 12:57 AM
Thank goodness the fans don't run this team. Many people would run this like a fantasy team, but in reality, the team would be aging, overpaid, and mediocre. yeah graham would have made this an old old team...a good blocking TE who can get open and catch the ball. wow what a waste that would be in an offense supposedly going more and more towards the west coast offense basics which include using the TE in the passing game. yup. what a waste.

Fritz
03-07-2007, 04:57 AM
I watched Graham in the playoffs - that's not a whole lot, but from what I saw he looks like a blocking tight end and not too much more. He doesn't stretch the field. And he caught 21 passes this year. Bubba Franks caught 25.

Yeah, we gotta get that guy.

red
03-07-2007, 08:14 AM
Thank goodness the fans don't run this team. Many people would run this like a fantasy team, but in reality, the team would be aging, overpaid, and mediocre.yeah, instead we're doing the exact opposite

we're the youngest team in the nfl, and probably are going to get younger unless we sign 73 year old joe horn to bring up the average

i see us not signing very many if any vet free agents. and i also see us adding anouther 12 guys through the draft, which TT will keep most us. then fill any other spots with his undrafted free agents

we're talking two extremes here

on one far side we have the mike sherman approach. spead all you can on free agents and you own players and do nothing in the draft. on the other far side you have TT. who only wants draft picks and undrafted rookies, and won't sign a free agent until farve says he wan't players, or a lynch mod gathers outside his office

i'm thinking we traded one extreme in sherman for another extreme in TT

we need something in the middle

packers11
03-07-2007, 08:15 AM
Thank goodness the fans don't run this team. Many people would run this like a fantasy team, but in reality, the team would be aging, overpaid, and mediocre.yeah, instead we're doing the exact opposite

we're the youngest team in the nfl, and probably are going to get younger unless we sign 73 year old joe horn to bring up the average

i see us not signing very many if any vet free agents. and i also see us adding anouther 12 guys through the draft, which TT will keep most us. then fill any other spots with his undrafted free agents

we're talking two extremes here

on one far side we have the mike sherman approach. spead all you can on free agents and you own players and do nothing in the draft. on the other far side you have TT. who only wants draft picks and undrafted rookies, and won't sign a free agent until Favre says he wan't players, or a lynch mod gathers outside his office

i'm thinking we traded one extreme in sherman for another extreme in TT

we need something in the middle

I agree 100% we do need something in the middle...

Sherman - To into FA
T.T. - To out of FA

Fritz
03-07-2007, 08:17 AM
I don't agree. TT signed vets like Pickett, Woodson, and Manuel (ugh) last year. He extended veteran Al Harris's contract. Joe Horn, age 35, is scheduled to make a visit. I don't see the extremism you do when I consider those moves.

red
03-07-2007, 08:29 AM
I don't agree. TT signed vets like Pickett, Woodson, and Manuel (ugh) last year. He extended veteran Al Harris's contract. Joe Horn, age 35, is scheduled to make a visit. I don't see the extremism you do when I consider those moves.i give TT pickett and manuel. BUt tt was forced to do the woodson deal. it wasn't until after favre announced he was coming back and said he wanted TT to get some players. there was one player left, woodson, who ha giant question marks all over the place. that one signing went against everything else TT has done, and because of that, i think he was forced to do it.

honestly, theres a little part of me thats surprised woodson hasn't been cut yet. TT set up the deal so woodson could be cut very easily after year 1. sure woodson played well, but he's old, and i'm sure TT would like some more cap room, for some unknown reason

and i remember saying this last year at this time, and i'll say it again. signing FA's and just bringing them in to two different things. just bringing a guy in for a talk doesn't make TT a player in FA

and besides. we had about 1500 holes on that team last offseason, with 30 million dollars, TT managed to sign only 3 guys. leaving many holes

MJZiggy
03-07-2007, 08:37 AM
Wait a sec Red, I don't believe TT was 'forced' to bring in Woodson. He tried for Arrington which is why the Woodson deal took so long to come down. He also tried for Vinatieri. And I think it was wise to set up Woodson's contract so that he could be cut if need be, just because it was set up that way doesn't mean TT would want to do it. He's fully aware that you have to manage the cap, but I don't think he's kidding himself into thinking that dollars can defend receivers.

woodbuck27
03-07-2007, 01:40 PM
Thank goodness the fans don't run this team. Many people would run this like a fantasy team, but in reality, the team would be aging, overpaid, and mediocre.

Yes ! Surely it comes down to reality, and a fans emotions may take precedent over that. :)

It's unfair to take away from the passion or emotions of a fan. Afterall, what would PRO sports be if the fans got so pissed off that they stopped participating?

We saw that last year in Green Bay with falling attendance.The consequence of that being higher ticket prices this season. Based on off season progress to date, for inferior team performance?

Back to the reality.

We have what appears to be plenty of CAP space, but depended on what Ted Thompson and the Packer Management have as plans, that, defines that reality.

The fans are simple. They simply want to win.

We are apparantly shorter of talent now on the offensive side of the ball with Ahman Green's departure. Any knowlegeable Packer fan realizes that.

How much damage can Favre to Driver do? For a team that always has placed emphasis on the value of a solid running game we are into the alligator swamp.

Yes it's just another season of very possible Packer futility. with the consolation being a higer draft pick.

As long as Packer fans are emotional. We still have hope in the game and the team we love.

GO Packers !