PDA

View Full Version : PFW blurb today on Javon Walker as trade bait

motife
04-25-2006, 08:49 PM
Walker could be dealt on Draft Day

Miami, Philadelphia and Denver are among three teams in need of a receiver and believed to be closely eyeing that position in the first round of this year’s draft. Team sources say none has yet been willing to meet the Packers' demands for dealing disgruntled WR Javon Walker — said to be first-round compensation — but do not be surprised if a trade goes down on Draft Day. The Eagles are said to be the most likely to pull the trigger on such a deal.

billy_oliver880
04-25-2006, 09:07 PM
Walker could be dealt on Draft Day

Miami, Philadelphia and Denver are among three teams in need of a receiver and believed to be closely eyeing that position in the first round of this year’s draft. Team sources say none has yet been willing to meet the Packers' demands for dealing disgruntled WR Javon Walker — said to be first-round compensation — but do not be surprised if a trade goes down on Draft Day. The Eagles are said to be the most likely to pull the trigger on such a deal.

First I have heard about Miami.

MJZiggy
04-25-2006, 09:11 PM
Maybe they meant Niners?

MacCool606
04-25-2006, 09:21 PM
the more involved the better - price will go up. One good thing is that we have some control over where he goes. We shouldn't have to face him twice a year.

GrnBay007
04-25-2006, 09:27 PM
We shouldn't have to face him twice a year.

Could Harris cover him? :?:

b bulldog
04-25-2006, 09:29 PM
I read a rumor that had the 49ers trading the 22 pick for Walker but I have a hard time believing that.

MacCool606
04-25-2006, 09:41 PM
This isn't a rumor - just a thought about another team that really needs a receiver.
Tonight there was a draft special on ESPN and I was watching when they were talking about the KC Chiefs. They need a receiver to take pressure off of Tony G and help open the running game for Larry Johnson. After listening to what they said, I thought there is another team that should be in the hunt for JW.
What is taking them so long?

Partial
04-25-2006, 09:44 PM
if he was signed long term I don't think there would be any holdup right now.

it's very possible he won't want to stay where he goes and be a one-year player ala payton for the bucks.

I'd LOVE it if they got a first. I would shout with glee from the rooftop!!

ND72
04-25-2006, 09:46 PM
If Denver offered anything 2-4, and Lelie, done deal.

b bulldog
04-25-2006, 09:47 PM
In the end, I say we get the broncos 39th pick in the draft.

Harlan Huckleby
04-25-2006, 09:48 PM
#22 for Walker? I think that deal would satisfy 99% of packer fans. Tarlam wants to see the team make an example of Walker, would be dissapointed to see him slip out of the dragnet.

billy_oliver880
04-25-2006, 09:48 PM
I'd LOVE it if they got a first. I would shout with glee from the rooftop!!

Can you take some video of that for me. :lol:

Seriously though...Walkers trade value has been all over the charts. From a 3rd rounder to a 1st rounder. What do we think his true value is?

ND72
04-25-2006, 09:49 PM
#22 won't happen.....Shanahan said last week, "if miami didn't give up a #1 for dante, then we won't even consider giving up a #1 for a WR".....i heard they offered GB their first 3rd round pick.

b bulldog
04-25-2006, 09:51 PM
I agree that a 1 won't happen but a number two isn't out of reach.

MJZiggy
04-25-2006, 09:51 PM
It doesn't matter if TT says he won't deal him for less than a first. He could be worth a third, but it doesn't matter what he's worth. If someone wants him, they'll have to give Ted what he wants and looking at this class of WR's...

ND72
04-25-2006, 09:52 PM
i think by the end of round 2, walker will be gone, and we'll have some picks.

b bulldog
04-25-2006, 09:53 PM
I've heard on another forum from so called "insiders" that Walker may warm up a bit to the Packers if he gets some $$$.

Partial
04-25-2006, 09:54 PM
why don't they offer some cash to walker this year to shut him up and get him in camp? renegoiate his contract with 5 million guaranteed this year or whatever and then everything based on incentives for the next 6 years.

ND72
04-25-2006, 09:55 PM
Personally...I REALLY don't think that matters anymore.

b bulldog
04-25-2006, 09:57 PM
I hope they trade him. He is actually around 27 or so, a few more years and he could be on the decline.

MacCool606
04-25-2006, 09:59 PM
With increasing interest this should turn out to be a plus for GB

Tarlam!
04-26-2006, 04:48 AM
#22 for Walker? I think that deal would satisfy 99% of packer fans. Tarlam wants to see the team make an example of Walker, would be dissapointed to see him slip out of the dragnet.

Yeah, I'm in the 1% that wants nothing but revenge. I don't want any team to offer anything, I don't want him traded, I want him rotting and hurting. Badly!

Rastak
04-26-2006, 06:36 AM

Yeah, I'm in the 1% that wants nothing but revenge. I don't want any team to offer anything, I don't want him traded, I want him rotting and hurting. Badly!

Did he "F" your wife or something......geez....

Tarlam!
04-26-2006, 07:10 AM
Thought I'd paste this here: From Prisco...

Good catches few and far between this draft class

At the NFL scouting combine in February, Ohio State receiver Santonio Holmes admitted he gave up his senior season to enter this year's draft because he knew the receiver class wasn't considered a strong one.

Is Holmes a scout? He certainly has a good eye, or should we say, good feel for the landscape.

In a dry year for WRs, Holmes separated himself from the pack. (Getty Images)
If he were a scout, he'd probably be crying the same lament that many other scouts and personnel directors are crying about the receiver position in this year's draft:

Where the heck are they?

"They all went the past two years," said one AFC scout. "That's where they are. A lot of guys came out early the past couple of years and they would be in this draft. You look at what happened in the past two drafts, you'll see where they are."

In 2004, seven receivers went in the first round. In 2005, there were six.

This year, there might be two, maybe three.

Holmes and Florida's Chad Jackson, who electrified the scouts at the combine with his 4.34 in the 40, are vying to be the top receiver in the draft.

Neither will be a top 10 pick, which means there won't be a receiver taken that high for the first time since 2002, unless, of course, Matt Millen finds somebody he likes enough to make it four years in a row for the Lions taking a receiver in the first 10 picks.

Nobody's that stupid? Are they?

"If you're looking for receivers, this isn't the draft," said an AFC offensive coordinator. "There are a couple of guys who are first-round guys, but even they have flaws that are being brought out. The Holmes kid is small. The Jackson kid doesn't run good routes. There won't be a run on receivers, that's for sure."

It used to be that scouts said receivers were a dime a dozen. They were everywhere, which meant taking them in the first round wasn't a worthy risk. But with more and more teams going to the spread offense, it puts more receivers on the field on early downs, which means the position is once again at a premium. That meant more receivers going higher than they once did.

You don't need just a No. 1 and No. 2 receiver anymore. You need a one, two, three and even a four.

The 13 receivers taken in the first round the past two years included six in the top 10 picks. There might not be 13 taken in the first three rounds this year. The only reason there are even two possible in the first round is because Holmes and Jackson left a year early.

"I felt like I was one of the top receivers in the draft," Jackson said of his decision to come out. "I didn't really have anything else to accomplish in college." Like Holmes, he admitted he peeked at the receiver class when making his decision. He also said he knew his speed would force him up the boards once the scouts saw him run.

From a physical standpoint, Jackson looks like a can't-miss player. At just under 6-1 and 205 pounds, he has the build of Terrell Owens. His speed displayed at the combine helped him jump up a lot of boards.

But he has questions. Some scouts say he isn't a polished route runner. Others say he plays soft, which isn't a good label when you're readying to make your living by going over the middle. Other question his reception numbers (88 catches) last year at Florida since he played in a spread offense that featured a lot of shovel passes.

Jackson actually admitted at the combine that he might not have been used the best way last year.

"I played the inside slot," he said. "The scouts and everybody else wants to see receivers with speed. I'm more of an outside guy, so I didn't really get to showcase my speed that much. At the same time, it helped me because I had a lot of catches [last] year."

Holmes and Miami's Sinorice Moss, the third receiver on a lot of boards, have the size issue hanging over their heads. Holmes is just over 5-10 and weighs 188 pounds while Moss is 5-8 and weighs 185 pounds.

In recent years, those two had little chance of going in the first round. But the success of little receivers like Santana Moss of the Redskins, Sinorice's big brother, and Steve Smith of the Carolina Panthers has helped change that thinking some. We saw the Redskins pay Antwaan Randle El, another small receiver, a big-money deal as a free agent to play opposite Santana Moss.

"It's not even an issue about your size," Sinorice Moss said. "If you can play football, and you have the heart to go out and make plays, size doesn't matter."

It still matters to the scouts. They prefer the bigger receivers, but if they can get a small, tough guy who won't be bothered by the jam, that's okay, too.

In this draft, any receiver who they think can make plays is a good thing.

"Guys will be forced up because of the scarcity of the position," said the AFC offensive coordinator. "That's when mistakes happen. Teams have to really be careful with this class."

Fret not, though. The receiver group should be outstanding in 2007, particularly if a handful of juniors enter the draft.

Georgia Tech's Calvin Johnson, USC's Dwayne Jarrett, Tennessee's Robert Meacham and Ohio State's Ted Ginn Jr. are all juniors who can be top 10 receivers next year. In addition, Notre Dame's Jeff Samardzija and Washington State's Jason Hill should have a chance to go in the top 20.

So Holmes made a good decision. Heck, he might not have even been the first Ohio State receiver taken next year.

So the lean year in 2006 should be an aberration, rather than the start of a new trend.

But even if there aren't any worthy of top 10 status in the coming years, we always have Matt Millen to make it a possibility.

Pack0514
04-26-2006, 09:43 AM
A rumor I heard (and dont take this for anything more than you would take any other rumor) is that they might get 2 2nd rounders. A teams 2006 2nd round draft pick and the teams 2007 2nd round draft pick.

Deputy Nutz
04-26-2006, 09:57 AM
I don't believe anything coming out of anyones mouth at this point with trading Walker or anyone else. Shannahan says he won't trade a first for Walker, bullshit, especially if he gets something back like a 4th or 5th.

Chubbyhubby
04-26-2006, 10:10 AM

That metality is like having Jiri Welch on the Bucks, a guy wasting space. Besides JW is a cancer. He will be a disruptive in the lockeroom all season he is a head case! TRADE HIM!

Tarlam!
04-26-2006, 10:20 AM
Ras, no, he doesn't know my wife. I would be able to forgive him for that. Worse, he's tryinfg to "F" the Packers!!

ChubbyHubby, there is no rationalizing my need for revenge. It is a dmned good thing TT is GM not me. I would be the worst SOB GM to guys like JW, but, I would be hurting the team.

Fritz
04-26-2006, 10:50 AM
IF you can get a second or even a third for Walker on draft day, go for it. My hope is that Jackson and Holmes will be gone by the early part of the second round, and someone will deal GB a mid-second round pick for JWalk. I believe that the first round pick talk is our fantasy - which, of course, I'd love to see come true.