PDA

View Full Version : GREEN BAY PACKERS CHASING TATUM BELL - RUMOR

woodbuck27
03-05-2007, 12:49 PM
http://profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

POSTED 8:54 a.m. EST; LAST UPDATED 10:17 a.m. EST, March 5, 2007

PACKERS CHASING BELL

As they scramble to attempt to fill the void left by the sudden departure of mainstay running back Ahman Green to the Texans, we're told that the Packers have contacted the Lions about a possible trade for running back Tatum Bell.

Bell was acquired by the Lions last week as part of the Dre' Bly deal. As we've reported, both Bell and former Broncos tackle George Foster are candidates to be traded again.

We're also told that the Packers contacted the Bears about the availability of running back Thomas Jones, but the Bears said that he is not available. It remains to be seen whether the Bears would be willing to trade him to a team other than their intra-division arch-rivals.

Detroit's willingness to shop Bell doesn't mean that the team is looking to shed tailbacks. We're told that running back T.J. Duckett currently is in the building, and that the Lions are expected to try to get him signed.

woodbuck27
03-05-2007, 12:58 PM
and what can you scan from this?

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070305/SPORTS0101/703050337/-1/COLUMNS

Trading for Chargers' Turner could buoy Bills

Bob Matthews
Staff writer

(March 5, 2007) — The in-progress facelift of Buffalo's offensive line can't be a bad thing, but who's going to run behind that line if Willis McGahee is traded?

The Bills intend to keep Anthony Thomas, but they'll be in big trouble if he's anything more than the No. 2 running back.

Here's a suggestion to pursue a trade for San Diego's Michael Turner, who has been backing up LaDainian Tomlinson and is a restricted free agent. He'll be an unrestricted free agent after this season and his price will be much higher..

Last season, the 25-year-old Turner had 80 carries for 502 yards (6.3-yard average). In three NFL seasons, he has 157 carries for 941 yards (6.0 yards per carry) and 5 TDs. He has fumbled only once.

Turner hasn't been a pass-catching threat out of the backfield (7 catches for 55 yards), but the 5-foot-10, 237-pounder has been durable and has power and big-play speed.

The Denver Broncos reportedly are interested in both McGahee and Travis Henry. I'd prefer Turner over either of them and would give up at least a second-round draft pick to get him. It's worth a try.

New England will be even tougher to beat in the AFC East after signing Baltimore Ravens linebacker Adalius Thomas, who might have been the best available free agent. ...

If cornerback Nate Clements 8-year, $80 million deal with San Francisco really is the richest contract ever given to an NFL defensive player, it is further proof that the Bills couldn't afford to keep him. He's very good but not that good. ...

Oakland reportedly is so down on wide receiver Randy Moss that he's available for a second-round draft pick. Some observers think he tanked it last season with the Raiders and others say he's lost a step

LL2
03-05-2007, 01:22 PM
I would actually love to see GB go for Turner. I think Turner and Morency would burn defenses for a lot of yards. Also, would like it of GB drafted Turner’s former NIU teammate Garret Wolfe to be a KR/ PR guy.

woodbuck27
03-05-2007, 01:45 PM
I would actually love to see GB go for Turner. I think Turner and Morency would burn defenses for a lot of yards. Also, would like it of GB drafted Turner’s former NIU teammate Garret Wolfe to be a KR/ PR guy.

It's hard to read Ted.

Yet, I would have to assume that when he allowed Ahman Green to hit the market that Ahman would 'in fact' be gone, and then Ted had to have his options at RB that don't revolve around existing conditions in Green Bay, and a draft that has two RB's going in the first round and both of those before OUR pick.

I really like the Michael Turner option and the sooner the better.

I don't see the likes of Jamal Lewis and Cory Dillon as options. . .see Ahman Green.Toss D. Rhodes in there as well, and all three may sit in FA for some weeks.In addition it's said that Jamal Lewis must not be employed in a State other than where he played last season. Not sure how that worked?

Willis McGahee will want certain gurantees in regards to an extention and his productivity last season leaves doubts.

I'd be pleased with the prospects of landing M.Turner.

bigcoz75
03-05-2007, 01:48 PM
Turner has been tagged with the RFA highest tender and it would take first and third rd pick to bring him in if the Packers can come to a contract agreement and SD doesn't match it. Don't see it happening.

wist43
03-05-2007, 01:49 PM
Maybe TT is trying to go "on the cheap" again with the RB position as he did his first year with the OL???

His letting Green walk is inexplicable to me... especially with all the cap space available. He's put himself in the unenviable position of having to scratch together a band-aid for a critical position. Stupid.

woodbuck27
03-05-2007, 01:59 PM
The Packers are most likely to look at hard-cutting backs such as Tennessee's Travis Henry and Chris Brown, New England's Corey Dillon and possibly Oakland's Lamont Jordan if he is released.

The Packers also have Noah Herron and 2006 rookie free agent Arliss Beach on the roster.

Of the group, Henry is the one who would most fit what the Packers are looking for. However, ** he is also being heavily pursued by the Broncos. The Packers have $21 million in salary cap room.

Posted March 05, by Ben Maller
Digg this | Add to del.icio.us
Discuss in the Forums | Link

** Comment Woodbuck27:

I believe it's just been released that Travis Henry was 'in fact' signed by the Broncos.

gbgary
03-05-2007, 03:42 PM
http://packerrats.com/ratchat/images/avatars/809.jpg

I would actually love to see GB go for Turner....

do you think Bugs Bunny's girl friend is sexy?

NO!

PackerPro42
03-05-2007, 05:28 PM
I wouldn't mind Turner, but he's not worth the 1st and 3rd pick you would have to give up to get him.

BF4MVP
03-05-2007, 05:59 PM
I'd want Lynch first and foremost..But I'd like Bell..

Green Bud Packer
03-06-2007, 08:55 AM
I think Morency is the answer at Rb.Ted stole him from Houston and now Houston thinks they've evened the score by over paying for an average back. Man I'm so happy Sherm is gone. Long live the Pack.

Partial
03-06-2007, 08:57 AM
I wouldn't mind Turner, but he's not worth the 1st and 3rd pick you would have to give up to get him.

Do you want Lynch over McFadden or Slaton?

pbmax
03-06-2007, 08:58 AM
I don't know which way Ted is going to go on this. Denver just keeps plugging in new people and perhaps T2 and M3 think they can do that. Our running game isn't that established or successful, so this option worries me.

Running back though, is not one of the places his mentor went cheap on, and he drafted them with regularity. Not like he treated safety or guard.

My guess is T2 thinks the answer will be in the draft.

LaFours
03-06-2007, 09:49 AM
I don't know which way Ted is going to go on this. Denver just keeps plugging in new people and perhaps T2 and M3 think they can do that. Our running game isn't that established or successful, so this option worries me.

Running back though, is not one of the places his mentor went cheap on, and he drafted them with regularity. Not like he treated safety or guard.

My guess is T2 thinks the answer will be in the draft.

And I think that paying top dollar for a RB (we can argue the merits of whether TT should have paid Green until we are blue in the face) isn't necessarily that wise until you are certain that your line will be productive and capable of keeping your RB upright and moving forward...you know, that whole "putting the cart in front of the horse" mentality. I think the o-line performed amicably last year, but the jury is still out on whether they will be able to take it to the next level this year. I think until TT is comfortable in the fact that his o-line can function successfully, his best approach is to abstain from pouring massive amounts of cap dollars into the RB position. Our money can be better spent in other places at this point. And when your line is settled (which it may be currently, I'm not one to validate this), that's when spending $ on a RB makes sense.

KYPack
03-06-2007, 12:21 PM
Shanny the Dwarf Rat is a little crazy about his ZBS RB's. He ran Tatum Bell off for the same thing that he ran Clinton Portis off for....Freelancing.

The ZBS is rule blocking and rule running. Little Mikey doesn't want any of his backs making arbritary cuts on their own. If they won't follow the rules of the ZBS, he'll hire somebody who can.

We run the ZBS, do we want a back who washed out under Shanny?

Maybe.

Green made a few maverick cuts under that system and M3 didn't say much.

MadtownPacker
03-06-2007, 12:44 PM
This wouldnt be a bad pick up but I hate the thought of giving Detoilet any draft picks.

Not that millen would do anything good with the picks anyways.

BooHoo
03-06-2007, 04:56 PM
Hey, it's the Lions - let's trade Fergy for Bell!

HarveyWallbangers
03-06-2007, 05:03 PM
I seriously doubt the Lions are going to trade with their biggest rival to give us our starting RB.

BooHoo
03-06-2007, 05:05 PM
I think you are right Harvey.

MJZiggy
03-06-2007, 05:07 PM
Chicago is their biggest rival. Let's get on with it???

(j/k)