View Full Version : Henry to Broncos

bigcoz75
03-05-2007, 01:40 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2788592
Updated: March 5, 2007, 2:27 PM ET
Henry's fills void in Broncos' backfield
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

Filling their need for a proven tailback, the Denver Broncos on Monday reached a contract agreement with Travis Henry, who was released on Saturday by the Tenenessee Titans to avoid paying him an $8.3 million roster bonus.

Henry will sign a five-year contract that includes $12 million in guarantees, ESPN.com has learned.

Within hours of his release, Henry flew to Denver and visited with Broncos officials over the weekend, while agent Hadley Engelhard negotiated a deal. Henry also drew considerable interest from the Oakland Raiders, who hoped to bring him in for a visit this week.

Henry, 28, carried 270 times for 1,211 yards and seven touchdowns in 2006, and notched six 100-yard outings. The former University of Tennessee standout spent the first four years of his career with the Buffalo Bills before being traded to the Titans in 2005.

In 78 games, including 62 starts, Henry has carried 1,321 times for 5,395 yards and 34 touchdowns. He also has 134 receptions for 886 yards and two scores. In addition to his 1,000-yard season in 2006, Henry ran for over 1,000 yards in two of his four seasons with the Bills.

Senior writer Len Pasquarelli covers the NFL for ESPN.com.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-05-2007, 01:45 PM
Morency starting to look like our starter.

wist43
03-05-2007, 01:51 PM
Morency can't handle the load... not big enough, tough enough, or physical enough.

He's strictly a third down back.

woodbuck27
03-05-2007, 02:05 PM
Morency can't handle the load... not big enough, tough enough, or physical enough.

He's strictly a third down back.

I'm wondering if Ted Thompson even has a clue as to how to evaluate talent on the offensive side of the ball?

When I observe how he's handling the Packers offensively. I feel like I've landed in some nightmare or twilight zone as a Packer fan.

I'm a polite person and will stop short of calling him an idiot.

Bub
03-05-2007, 02:16 PM
wow..he signed relitively cheap...

Broncos | Henry signed to 5-year, $12 million deal
Mon, 5 Mar 2007 12:03:51 -0800

ESPNews reports the Denver Broncos have signed RB Travis Henry (Titans) to a 5-year contract worth $12 million.

*perhaps a misprint from KFFL

gbpackfan
03-05-2007, 02:17 PM
Boy, this is getting sad. I don't want to jump of the bridge because the situation can be fixed but TT has to start making some moves. At some point, you have to jump into the market. The Packers have to sign a vet. RB and better hope to God that Lynch falls to them at 16. I can not see TT trading for a RB. NO WAY! He may make a play for Randy Moss but that's it. So far, the offense has gone backwards. It really is troubling.

Prediction: TT will go very cheap in FA this year. He will sign one 3rd/4th string type WR. He will sign one crappy career back-up RB. He MAY sign one crappy back-up S. That's it. No Pickett or Woodson's. No TE. No Jamal Lewis, Dominic Rhodes, Chris Brown (who may be crappy any ways), and no trades for McGahee. PERIOD! The Packers will NOT trade for Moss. The Packers will trade down in the draft. The Packers will not take Lynch at 16.

The_Dude
03-05-2007, 02:22 PM
I could totally see Morency as the starter but a bigger back should be drafted (Hunt or Wright) to get the tough short yards. He was the size to be a feature back I think (5'9 212, in comparision lynch in 5'11 215) and he definatly has the speed and catching ability. But one thing that really sets him apart, even from A. Green, is his vision. It was very apparent in the 2nd half of the season that Morency was seeing the holes much clearer and faster then green and he has exceptional burst through those holes.

wist43
03-05-2007, 02:26 PM
By that reckoning, the Packers will go into the season with about 13 million in available cap space...

Even I'm not that pessimistic - he's got to spend some it, somewhere...

I'm not defending TT here, I think not resigning Green was moronic; but, I'm sure he'll bring someone in at the RB position... they certainly can't go into the season with what they have.

Anyone heard anything more about Lamont Jordan??? Can't fathom why the Raiders would want to get rid of him though.

Zool
03-05-2007, 02:29 PM
Sounds like Jordan is owed a big bonus on Wednesday. He will probably be released.

woodbuck27
03-05-2007, 02:31 PM
Boy, this is getting sad. I don't want to jump of the bridge because the situation can be fixed but TT has to start making some moves. At some point, you have to jump into the market. The Packers have to sign a vet. RB and better hope to God that Lynch falls to them at 16. I can not see TT trading for a RB. NO WAY! He may make a play for Randy Moss but that's it. So far, the offense has gone backwards. It really is troubling.

Prediction: TT will go very cheap in FA this year. He will sign one 3rd/4th string type WR. He will sign one crappy career back-up RB. He MAY sign one crappy back-up S. That's it. No Pickett or Woodson's. No TE. No Jamal Lewis, Dominic Rhodes, Chris Brown (who may be crappy any ways), and no trades for McGahee. PERIOD! The Packers will NOT trade for Moss. The Packers will trade down in the draft. The Packers will not take Lynch at 16.

There is a prediction that holds credibility.

What is Ted Thompson thinking?

FACT Ted

The game of football is played successfully on both sides of the ball Ted. Offense and Defense.

FACT Ted

In order to improve the Packers as a team, YOU Ted have to make moves or upgrade the teams talent to improve the Packers on both sides of the ball. Offense and Defense.

wist43
03-05-2007, 02:32 PM
Love to see Jordan in G&G... not sure on his health though.

Healthy, he's a damn good back.

woodbuck27
03-05-2007, 02:41 PM

ESPNews reports the Denver Broncos have signed RB Travis Henry (Titans) to a 5-year contract worth $12 million.

The Contract included . . . $12 Million in GURANTEES.

woodbuck27
03-05-2007, 02:44 PM

The Packers are most likely to look at hard-cutting backs such as Tennessee's Travis Henry and Chris Brown, New England's Corey Dillon and possibly Oakland's Lamont Jordan if he is released. The Packers also have Noah Herron and 2006 rookie free agent Arliss Beach on the roster. Of the group, Henry is the one who would most fit what the Packers are looking for. However, he is also being heavily pursued by the Broncos. The Packers have $21 million in salary cap room.

Posted March 05, by Ben Maller
Digg this | Add to del.icio.us
Discuss in the Forums | Link

wist43
03-05-2007, 02:44 PM
That's the kind of contract - if Henry is productive for a couple of years - that will have him howling for a new deal when his compensation is only a couple of million in base salary in year 3.

Merlin
03-05-2007, 02:49 PM
By that reckoning, the Packers will go into the season with about 13 million in available cap space...

Even I'm not that pessimistic - he's got to spend some it, somewhere...

I'm not defending TT here, I think not resigning Green was moronic; but, I'm sure he'll bring someone in at the RB position... they certainly can't go into the season with what they have.

Anyone heard anything more about Lamont Jordan??? Can't fathom why the Raiders would want to get rid of him though.

For us to go into a second season with 10 Mil + in our pockets with some of the holes we have is stupid. You can't "bank" that money for the next years cap. Financially the Packers are just fine and 10 Mil + isn't all that much. TT is an idiot.

pbmax
03-05-2007, 02:55 PM
Careful with that number and the word guarantees. Len P has been accused of carrying Hadley Englehard's water before (PFT loves to carry that sniping) and he has represented roster and option bonuses as guarantees before.

Need more details to see where it lines up with Ahman's deal.

Not sure I wanted this guy who is one screw up away from a one year suspension. Wow, deja vu.

pbmax
03-05-2007, 02:58 PM
For us to go into a second season with 10 Mil + in our pockets with some of the holes we have is stupid. You can't "bank" that money for the next years cap. Financially the Packers are just fine and 10 Mil + isn't all that much. TT is an idiot.

Yes you can bank it. Its called Likely To Be Earned incentives that aren't likely to be earned (backup QB participating in 33% of special team plays).

Packers used it last two years, Vikings and Eagles have been using it for year.

Not that its a better option than having no tailback, but it doesn't have to be lost.

red
03-05-2007, 03:20 PM

i'm not real high on him. he's not that much younger then green. he's 28. plus, only one time in his 6 year career has he gone over 1000 yards, and he just barely did that in 2005, he did have a ton of yards receiving though that year

but he got hurt in 2005 and missed games, and he missed almost half of this season

i don't know, i don't see anything special with him

wist43
03-05-2007, 03:28 PM
He backed Martin up for most of his career... so he really doesn't have much milage on his body.

As I said about overall health though, I'm not sure... He really has played enough to be considered "injury prone" I don't think.

When he's on the field he's a very tough runner... punishing runner, runs with very good pad level, good vision, good speed, great hands. Don't know how he'd fit in the ZBS though.

You have to remember, most of his playing time has come with Oakland - easily the worst franchise, with the worst OL in the league... absolutely terrible team.

MJZiggy
03-05-2007, 03:32 PM

Yes you can bank it. Its called Likely To Be Earned incentives that aren't likely to be earned (backup QB participating in 33% of special team plays).

Packers used it last two years, Vikings and Eagles have been using it for year.

Not that its a better option than having no tailback, but it doesn't have to be lost.

What were the LTBE's this year? I was looking for them and somehow missed them.

Bretsky
03-05-2007, 07:20 PM

If those terms are correct that would have been a nice deal for GB

BallHawk
03-05-2007, 07:22 PM
I wonder if Henry would of taken those numbers and played under them in Green Bay.

My guess is no.

imscott72
03-05-2007, 07:25 PM

If those terms are correct that would have been a nice deal for GB

Wow, hell of a deal for Denver...This is probably the first GOOD deal I've seen since FA started...Too bad TT didn't take a shot on him..

Joemailman
03-05-2007, 07:44 PM
It's reported to be 12 million guaranteed. The full details have not been released as far as I know.

BooHoo
03-05-2007, 08:02 PM
Maybe TT has an Ace up his sleve!

Bretsky
03-05-2007, 08:04 PM

Leshon Johnson
Travis Jervey
Erik Torkelson
Paul Ott Carruth
Barty Smith :lol: :lol:

I'm just kidding; this joking is part of my March Free Agency Rehab :wink:

MJZiggy
03-05-2007, 08:11 PM
I thought March Madness was supposed to involve basketball, B.

BooHoo
03-05-2007, 08:17 PM

Leshon Johnson
Travis Jervey
Erik Torkelson
Paul Ott Carruth
Barty Smith :lol: :lol:

I'm just kidding; this joking is part of my March Free Agency Rehab :wink:

You are Funny! :lol: