PDA

View Full Version : Sherman sealed the deal for Green

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-05-2007, 01:57 PM
MONDAY, March 5, 2007, 11:58 a.m.
By Tom Silverstein

The agent for running back Ahman Green said this morning that the Green Bay Packers made a late run at retaining Green, but the combination of a solid financial offer and the influence of former Packers coach Mike Sherman led him to sign with the Houston Texans.

Agent Joby Branion said that Sherman, the Texans' offensive coordinator, convinced Green that the Texans were headed in the right direction and were poised for a quick turnaround. Green spent a considerable amount of time with Sherman during his two-day visit and was sold on the organization.

"The opportunity to reunite with Coach Sherman was significant," Branion said. "Coach Sherman did a heck of a job laying things out for him. I think he's happy with what he ended up with. He feels like they're a team that can win. And that's what he's about.

"He saw what New Orleans did last year, so he knows they can turn it around. He hasn't played in a Super Bowl and that's what's important to him."

Branion said a total of seven teams plus the Packers showed interest in Green, but it ultimately came down to the Packers, Texans and Denver Broncos. After visiting the Texans Saturday and Sunday, negotiations with the club heated up Sunday afternoon. The Packers were in constant dialogue with Green's negotiating team, but they weren't willing to match the four-year, $23 million deal the Texans put on the table.

According to Branion, Green will receive $8 million the first year, including $6.5 million in bonus money. Over two years, he will receive $12.5 million and over three years he will receive $18 million. The deal does not include any option bonuses or artificially elevated base salaries, Branion said.

"We had discussions with Green Bay all along," Branion said. "Green Bay was in it until the end. Ahman just made a decision that was best for him."

Branion said Green had mixed feelings about leaving Green Bay and talked about keeping his home in De Pere.

"He's happy, but at the same time there are mixed feelings," Branion said. "He has a strong feeling for the guys he spent all that time with. That part of it is difficult."

woodbuck27
03-05-2007, 02:12 PM
Turn it around. . . based on what? :)

DAM straight Mike Sherman did his utmost to bring Ahman Green in but that quick turn it around argument holds no water.

That money and possible length of contract did the selling.

I won't buy that the Packers made a late charge to resign Ahman.They had ample opportunity to do just that before Ahman decided to use his infrequent flyer Air Miles.

cheesner
03-05-2007, 02:16 PM
Based on what another team did.

Of course, that team drafted Reggie Bush and Houston opted not to.

Zool
03-05-2007, 02:26 PM
Lets not fool ourselves. It was all about $8million and I cant really blame him.

Brando19
03-05-2007, 02:36 PM
Based on what another team did.

Of course, that team drafted Reggie Bush and Houston opted not to.

By around....he meant "into the Packers." Rumor has it Sherman offered 10 billion dollars and his home for the entire Packers roster.

Scott Campbell
03-05-2007, 03:00 PM
"The opportunity to reunite with Coach Sherman was significant," Branion said. "Coach Sherman did a heck of a job laying things out for him.

I imagine that portion of the conversation went something like this.

Sherman: "To sum things up, we'd love to have you as a Texan and are willing to guarantee $5.5M of your salary to get you to sign with us."

Ahman: "Hmmmm. I think that's a very fair offer. But lets say were 4th and 1 with the chance to put a team away in the playoffs - who gets the rock? Me or the damned punter?"

Sherman: "Ummmmm........well............like I said, were willing to guarantee $6.5M of your salary to get you to sign with us."

Ahman: "Good answer Mike. Where do I sign?"

Brando19
03-05-2007, 03:00 PM
"The opportunity to reunite with Coach Sherman was significant," Branion said. "Coach Sherman did a heck of a job laying things out for him.

I imagine that portion of the conversation went something like this.

Sherman: "To sum things up, we'd love to have you as a Texan and are willing to guarantee $5.5M of your salary to get you to sign with us."

Ahman: "Hmmmm. I think that's a very fair offer. But lets say were 4th and 1 with the chance to put a team away in the playoffs - who gets the rock? Me or the damned punter?"

Sherman: "Ummmmm........well............like I said, were willing to guarantee $6.5M of your salary to get you to sign with us."

Ahman: "Good answer Mike. Where do I sign?"

LOL :lol:

GBRulz
03-05-2007, 03:37 PM
Was it really all about the money or do the players sincerely like playing for Sherman?

BTW Scott, that was hilarious :lol: