PDA

View Full Version : Cap question

GBRulz
03-05-2007, 03:42 PM
How much of the cap does a team have to use? I mean, aren't they required to spend X number of dollars of the allotted money?

I still think that is the only reason TT gave Woodson the fat contract last year, so we weren't under the cap minimum of what you have to spend. Maybe that's a bland remark on my part because I view TT as a cheap ass.

red
03-05-2007, 03:48 PM
How much of the cap does a team have to use? I mean, aren't they required to spend X number of dollars of the allotted money?

I still think that is the only reason TT gave Woodson the fat contract last year, so we weren't under the cap minimum of what you have to spend. Maybe that's a bland remark on my part because I view TT as a cheap ass.

i don't remember what the exact number was. but i do seem to remember we were all long ways below it last year before we signed woodson to that deal and gave him all his money up front. that put us over the minimum cap level.

but i also think that had a lot to do with the woodson signing

i don't know what the floor number is though

i'll look

Zool
03-05-2007, 03:49 PM
We ended up with less than $2mil under at the end of last season IIRC.

prsnfoto
03-05-2007, 03:51 PM

There is a minimum cap but I don't know what it is this year,I understand your frustrated but I think TT is waiting for the crazy offers to end and then sign the middle tier players to normal offers, it worked with Pickett and Woodsen(I know he got a ton last year but is cheap the rest of the way)last year. He signed Manuel right away and look how that worked out. Keep the Faith we still need a safety,WR,TE, and now RB, teams like the Pats and 49er's are pretty much done and we can sign 6 very good players for the price of 2 of their lucrative signings, it may be the better deal.

red
03-05-2007, 03:54 PM
i think i found on one site that the floor last year was around 75 million while the cap was 102.

so, the woodson deal probably didn't have much to do with getting over the floor

Patler
03-05-2007, 04:01 PM
The minimum team salary in 2006 was 84% of the salary cap. The factor increases 1.2% each season, until it hits 90%. So in 2007 it is 85.2% of the salary cap. This is calulated at the END of the year.

After signing Wells, replacement players, etc. some reports had the Packers less than $1 million below the salary cap. Supposedly they did a bonus thing with Herron this year like they did with Nall in 2005 to push the remainder into 2007.

red
03-05-2007, 04:10 PM
and the savior shows up as always to help us out

so, how do you mean at the end of the year?

so we play the 2007 season, not knowing what the floor is, and at the end of the year they figure it out and if you're not below it you get penalized?

or

they figured out next years floor, at the end of this year?

red
03-05-2007, 04:12 PM
wait

i think i got it

they don't figure out if you got above the floor or not until the end of the year

so the cap floor is around 93 million for this year, and we have until the end of this year to get there

GBRulz
03-05-2007, 04:36 PM
patler, I knew you'd sniff this one out and come to the rescue :lol:

Ok, so we have to spend about $93 million this year? I wonder if TT is thinking about getting Barnett's deal done before Nov when we can prorate some of that to this year's cap. I believe first or second week in Nov is the deadline for doing that.

MJZiggy
03-05-2007, 04:40 PM

Ok, so we have to spend about $93 million this year? I wonder if TT is thinking about getting Barnett's deal done before Nov when we can prorate some of that to this year's cap. I believe first or second week in Nov is the deadline for doing that.

I'm with ya GBR. I want Barnett taken care of ASAP so we don't end up with another Green-like problem.

GBRulz
03-05-2007, 04:47 PM

I'm with ya GBR. I want Barnett taken care of ASAP so we don't end up with another Green-like problem.

Barnett wants the extension done, too. He likes GB, he has invested in the community, etc. Like he said, he isn't looking to break the bank, he just wants a fair offer. and when he was asked about possibly holding out this year, he said no way would he ever do such a thing. He is fully aware of what he signed originally and how many years it's for. Very classy guy.

red
03-05-2007, 04:55 PM
i'm worried we might have already waited too long for barnett

the cost to resign him, or any player, looks like its doubled in the last few days. a few weeks ago we might have been able to lock him up for a much smaller deal then he will get now

theres also the chance that he saw how good the open market treated green and might opt to not resign and test the market next year

Patler
03-05-2007, 05:09 PM

Actually, you have until the end of the year, depending on how the contract is structured. The date in November is the cutoff for adjusting the current year salary and have it count against the current year cap. You have until the end of the season to renegotiate bonuses, including signing bonuses, and have at least a portion of it count against the current year cap.

Patler
03-05-2007, 05:13 PM
wait

i think i got it

they don't figure out if you got above the floor or not until the end of the year

so the cap floor is around 93 million for this year, and we have until the end of this year to get there

Yup, you got it.

Both years under TT the Packers used all but a small amount of the available cap. In 2005 there was $1.6 million left, pushed into 2006 via the Nall bonus; and in 2006 it apparently was even less than that.

MJZiggy
03-05-2007, 05:26 PM
That's why I missed the LTBE's last year. I was looking for them in November. Thanks, Patler.

Patler
03-05-2007, 06:03 PM
That's why I missed the LTBE's last year. I was looking for them in November. Thanks, Patler.

I haven't seen anything official myself, or anything for other teams. Just a couple references to the Packers at around a million, or less.