PDA

View Full Version : TT speaks about GREEN... "THE truth"

packers11
03-05-2007, 07:54 PM
wow... I think I feel a little better reading the article...

Packers tried to keep Green, Thompson says

By Pete Dougherty
pdougher@greenbaypressgazette.com

For now, the Green Bay Packers don’t know who will be their featured halfback in 2007.

It could be a draft pick. It could be a stop-gap free agent or player from a trade. It could be No. 2 back Vernand Morency sharing the top job with one of the above.

Regardless, losing the productive Ahman Green in free agency was something General Manager Ted Thompson knew might happen when he couldn’t sign Green before the start of free agency. Furthermore, it was something Thompson was unwilling to prevent by getting into a bidding war Sunday with the Houston Texans.

So Thompson, with about $21 million in salary-cap room, willingly let go a declining but effective halfback from the last seven years.

Asked about replacing such a player, Thompson, who is nothing if not even-keeled, responded: “There’s lots of twists and turns in an NFL year, especially in the offseason and most especially at the start of the new league year. There will be many twists and turns as we go along.”

The Packers on Monday also lost free-agent tight end David Martin, a backup who might have pushed for a starting job this year, to Miami. Martin, who in six seasons in the NFL has been long on potential but with a history of injury problems, is believed to have received a signing bonus of about $1.5 million as part of his multiyear deal.

In the meantime, even in a year when teams are flush with salary-cap money, Green’s contract with Houston was surprisingly high for a 30-year-old halfback a season removed from major thigh surgery. According to a source with access to NFLPA salary figures, Green received a $5 million signing bonus, a $1.5 million roster bonus and a $1.5 million base salary for this season. That’s $8 million in the first year.

Next year, he’ll receive a $500,000 roster bonus, a $200,000 workout bonus and a $3.8 million salary, for a total of $4.5 million in 2008 pay. That means the first two years of the deal are worth $12.5 million, and unless something unusual happens, it appears likely Green’s $5 million salary guarantees him two seasons with the Texans.

In 2009, he’s scheduled to make $5.5 million in salary and bonuses, and in 2010 he’ll make $5 million total.

The Packers stayed in negotiations with Green until the end and increased their offer, apparently to more than $5 million the first year and $9 million the first two. Ultimately, the Texans offered substantially more than Thompson was willing to pay.

“Through our talks (Sunday), it sounded like (Houston’s offer) was pretty good,” Thompson said. “We adjusted ours some, but it wasn’t enough. I reiterate, some people will make out like we didn’t want to sign the guy; we were trying to keep Ahman. That’s the thing with free agency, you never know. But we wish him well.”

Houston was willing to pay Green more because it was looking for a No. 1 back and apparently took strongly the recommendation from offensive coordinator Mike Sherman, the former Packers coach who could vouch for Green’s work ethic and toughness. Texans starter Domanick Williams is coming off a knee injury.

Last season, Green rushed for 1,049 yards and 4.0 yards a carry. As the season wore on, the Packers tried to limit to his touches to about 20 a game so he wouldn’t wear out.

“(Signing Green) does certainly answer our question at running back,” said Rick Smith, the Texans’ GM. “We feel like we’ve got a guy who can produce in this offense and can carry the load for us.”

The Packers will explore the free-agent market and trades for a running back, though those markets would produce only a stop-gap type player to share the No. 1 load. More likely, they’ll have to select a running back on the first day of the draft for someone who can be their featured back.

Among the veterans available are Baltimore’s Jamal Lewis, who is believed likely to re-sign with the Ravens, Corey Dillon, Dominic Rhodes, Chris Brown and Correll Buckhalter.

There doesn’t appear to be a high demand for any of the remaining backs in free agency after Travis Henry signed with Denver on Monday, so the Packers don’t appear to be in a hurry to sign another running back.

Besides Morency, the Packers have No. 3 back Noah Herron plus undrafted Arliss Beach, who was on injured reserve all last season. Morency, acquired in an early-season trade with Houston last year, showed some quickness and gained 430 yards and averaged 4.5 yards a carry last season, but there are doubts whether he could withstand the load of a No. 1 back at 5-foot-10, 212 pounds.

“I couldn’t tell you that,” Thompson said of whether Morency can be a primary back for a full season. “I think he was kind of like that in college. He’s never had that opportunity in the pros.”

Miami signed Martin as its starting tight end and released previous starter Randy McMichael, 27, who was due a $3 million roster bonus Wednesday. McMichael caught 62 passes for 640 yards last season, but had some problems with drops and appears to be a victim of the team’s coaching change from Nick Saban to Cam Cameron.

Martin, who caught 21 passes last season, might have pushed Bubba Franks for the starting job if he’d re-signed with the Packers. But he missed 26 games in his six-year career because of injuries.

The Packers might have interest in McMichael, depending on the contract offers he receives from other teams. They return Franks and re-signed No. 3 tight end Donald Lee, along with Tory Humphry, who was on injured reserve the final nine games because of a hamstring injury, and Zac Alcorn, a second-year pro who was on the practice squad for nine games and the 53-man roster for the final seven.

The Packers re-signed guard-tackle Tyson Walter, an unrestricted free agent who was on their roster the final six weeks last season.

BallHawk
03-05-2007, 07:56 PM
If the Texans think Ahman can carry the load for them, they've got another thing coming.

Bretsky
03-05-2007, 08:02 PM
Good article on Green, and I'm torn on this one.

But if you were going to up your offer and decide to offer Ahman 5MIL for year one and 4MIL for year two, the time to do this was

BEFORE

RashanGary
03-05-2007, 08:45 PM
I get the feeling that Harlan *Jounalist major/PR extraordinare* or JJ *Equally as smooth as Harlan* had a talking with TT before he commented on this. TT is notorious for saying the wrong thing. He's almost unaware of the pressure that is placed on him or the backlash that can occur.

He said what people wanted to hear. That's one of the few times that he's done that. He even got into what he tried and his goals in teh whole discussion. He's never been this aware or concious of our thoughs. I prefer he says nothing but this is probably what was best for him.

AGain, he had to've been givin some pointers if not a whole written speech to come off this well.

Lurker64
03-05-2007, 09:00 PM
Or, you know, TT was just speaking the truth.

HarveyWallbangers
03-05-2007, 09:18 PM

But if you were going to up your offer and decide to offer Ahman 5MIL for year one and 4MIL for year two, the time to do this was

BEFORE

Exactly, the organization misread the market for Green. Otherwise, Thompson would not have said his #1 priority was to resign his own guys. Well, they both went elsewhere. In the meantime, he hasn't looked much at other players. He needs to. There are a lot of needs. I just get the feeling that Ahman wouldn't even had hit FA if they had offered what they offered in the end. I don't know that as fact, but you kind of get that feeling from learning the parameters of the offers then and now.

Bretsky
03-05-2007, 09:34 PM

BEFORE

Exactly, the organization misread the market for Green. Otherwise, Thompson would not have said his #1 priority was to resign his own guys. Well, they both went elsewhere. In the meantime, he hasn't looked much at other players. He needs to. There are a lot of needs. I just get the feeling that Ahman wouldn't even had hit FA if they had offered what they offered in the end. I don't know that as fact, but you kind of get that feeling from learning the parameters of the offers then and now.

BINGO

I get that same feeling

b bulldog
03-05-2007, 09:39 PM
Green got paid, good for him. I think he did very well here in GB and I wish him well but I'm glad he is gone for that $$.

Green Bud Packer
03-05-2007, 09:43 PM

BEFORE

Exactly, the organization misread the market for Green. Otherwise, Thompson would not have said his #1 priority was to resign his own guys. Well, they both went elsewhere. In the meantime, he hasn't looked much at other players. He needs to. There are a lot of needs. I just get the feeling that Ahman wouldn't even had hit FA if they had offered what they offered in the end. I don't know that as fact, but you kind of get that feeling from learning the parameters of the offers then and now.in free agency the ball is in the players court and green, knowing what the pack was offering and knowing that their offer was still on the table even when he visited other teams, explored what was out there.i can't blame ted. green knew he was going to test the market and when the market overpaid he took the deal.when you're looking to buy and you feel the purchase is worth $100 and some yahoo comes along and offers $250 are you going to match the offer or look for another at what you feel it's worth?

Bretsky
03-05-2007, 09:48 PM
If you are looking to buy a home you like and you KNOW others are interested

Do you lowball the homeowner and take the chance you don't get the home

or

Make a fair offer and make it happen ?

Just playing devils advocate; wonder if TT's style is more the former ?

Green Bud Packer
03-05-2007, 09:53 PM
but in free agency you can make a fair offer and the player can still test the market and if the money isnt there they can come back for the fair offer ala william henderson.the home owner doesn't have this luxury if he waits for a better offer and doesn't get one the fair offer might well be moving into another place.

GrnBay007
03-05-2007, 09:58 PM
Good Luck to Ahman....and thanks for the great games you gave the fans!! You will be missed!! :(

Packers4Glory
03-06-2007, 03:33 AM
this is great. lose one of our top contributors on an already anemic offense..watch a guy in Henry who would probably be a better contributor go to another team....

wow i'm glad we have all this cap space on a 500 team that isn't far from being a major threat in a weak NFC.

Guiness
03-06-2007, 06:16 AM
How screwed up are things in Houston, eh? They could've had Bush last year, and end up signing a guy at the end of his career as a 2 yr stopgap.

Methinks it's likely Houston has another shot at the top of the draft...

Fritz
03-06-2007, 06:46 AM
Good points Guiness. From Houston's point of view, you passed on Reggie Bush and Vince Young, and now you're signing a 30 year old on the downside to a huge contract.

Bretsky, surely you remember seeing the comment a few times in the papers that while Green was negotiating before free agency, he seemed pretty determined to test the market. I know that comment came up more than once. Isn't it possible he negotiated with the Pack to see what they might offer, so he knew what he'd need to top when he went out a-hunting for a new contract? Had TT given Green the higher offer he apparently made at the end, it's possible - even likely - that that offer would simply have been the parameter that Green would have looked to top. And the Texans did.

We'll have to wait and see. But as for me, I'm glad Ted didn't overpay. It's not like the Packers have now lost their chance at the Super Bowl because of this loss. Had TT overpaid, you'd have set yourself back, especially if TT is trying to sign Barneett long term.

Bretsky
03-06-2007, 06:57 AM
Good points Guiness. From Houston's point of view, you passed on Reggie Bush and Vince Young, and now you're signing a 30 year old on the downside to a huge contract.

Bretsky, surely you remember seeing the comment a few times in the papers that while Green was negotiating before free agency, he seemed pretty determined to test the market. I know that comment came up more than once. Isn't it possible he negotiated with the Pack to see what they might offer, so he knew what he'd need to top when he went out a-hunting for a new contract? Had TT given Green the higher offer he apparently made at the end, it's possible - even likely - that that offer would simply have been the parameter that Green would have looked to top. And the Texans did.

We'll have to wait and see. But as for me, I'm glad Ted didn't overpay. It's not like the Packers have now lost their chance at the Super Bowl because of this loss. Had TT overpaid, you'd have set yourself back, especially if TT is trying to sign Barneett long term.

Overpay is a relative term us fans like to use to excuse our GM for choosing to not bring a player back; the market has changed. Everybody has money to spend and the supply is low. Legit players are going to go for more money than they have in the past. Would you prefer Fred Taylor or Ahman Green ? Similar deals.

I'm not using this overpay term anymore because in this market players are worth what the market will bear.

It's not about overpaying or underpaying when everybody has cash; it's about signing the right players and not missing. Time will tell if we did the right thing.

B

Scott Campbell
03-06-2007, 07:06 AM
This ain't baseball. As long as there is a salary cap, "overpaid" will be a relevant term.

Fritz
03-06-2007, 07:52 AM

Overpay is a relative term us fans like to use to excuse our GM for choosing to not bring a player back; the market has changed. Everybody has money to spend and the supply is low. Legit players are going to go for more money than they have in the past. Would you prefer Fred Taylor or Ahman Green ? Similar deals.

I'm not using this overpay term anymore because in this market players are worth what the market will bear.

It's not about overpaying or underpaying when everybody has cash; it's about signing the right players and not missing. Time will tell if we did the right thing.

B

You may not be using it, but when Ahman Green is owed five mill coming into his third season for Houston, and he's hurt and slowing and a part-time back, and when Nate Clements is in his fifth year and on the bench or hurt or mediocre, and the Niners owe him five mill, you better believe the fans in those cities will not hesitate to use the term "overpaid."

LaFours
03-06-2007, 08:00 AM

B

But even if you don't want to use the "overpay" term in regards to the free agent market it is still important to think about how these new free agent contracts will resonate with the premiere players already on your team. Offering inflated salaries in Free Agency affects more than just the free agent pool if you look long-term.