PDA

View Full Version : Brad Johnson to Dallas

CyclonePackFan
03-05-2007, 08:10 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/03/05/bc.fbn.cowboys.johnson.ap/index.html

IRVING, Texas (AP) -- Brad Johnson signed a contract Monday night with the Dallas Cowboys, who wanted a veteran quarterback to team up with Tony Romo.

Johnson's agent, Phil Williams, said the quarterback got a three-year contract. Williams wouldn't discuss financial details of the deal.

Cowboys officials didn't respond to messages Monday night, and the team had not announced the deal. On their Web site, the Cowboys reported they were "close to adding" Johnson to the roster.

The 38-year-old Johnson became an unrestricted free agent last week when the Minnesota Vikings, in a long-expected move, released the 15-year veteran. Johnson won a Super Bowl with Tampa Bay after the 2002 season.

Romo replaced Drew Bledsoe as the Cowboys' starter in the seventh game last season and earned a spot on the NFC Pro Bowl team. Dallas made the playoffs as a wild-card team, but lost in the first round of the playoffs against Seattle after Romo's botched hold on a short field goal attempt in the closing seconds.

The Cowboys last week released Bledsoe, the first overall pick in the 1993 draft by New England. Bledsoe, due a $1 million roster bonus, would have made $4.5 million next season. He said he wasn't interested in being a backup.

Minnesota coach Brad Childress indicated at the end of last season that Johnson would be welcomed back in a mentoring role. But Johnson -- who has a fierce competitive drive that belies his easygoing demeanor -- said he still believes he can be a starter.

The Cowboys want Johnson to be a mentor to Romo, who didn't take a snap in his first 31/2 seasons before taking over midway through last season.

When Williams was asked what Johnson's role in Dallas would be, he responded, "He just signed the contract" and wouldn't elaborate.

Lurker64
03-05-2007, 08:13 PM
Isn't the major difference between Brad Johnson and Drew Bledsoe mainly that:
1) Once upon a time Bledsoe was more talented.
2) Johnson's defense gave him a superbowl and he didn't lose it.

Doesn't seem like much of an upgrade.

Scott Campbell
03-05-2007, 08:15 PM
Isn't the major difference between Brad Johnson and Drew Bledsoe mainly that:
1) Once upon a time Bledsoe was more talented.
2) Johnson's defense gave him a superbowl and he didn't lose it.

Doesn't seem like much of an upgrade.

3) $$$

BooHoo
03-05-2007, 08:18 PM
Looks like a good move by Dallas.

Jimx29
03-05-2007, 11:15 PM
Dude is a class act all the way. I wish him well down there

BooHoo
03-06-2007, 08:36 AM
I feel the same way about him. Regardless who he played for in the past, I wish him well.

Guiness
03-06-2007, 12:27 PM
This guy surprises me. I never would've thought he'd last this long in the league, that he had this sort of competitive fire. He doesn't play like he has the sort of intensity it takes to stay in this league until he's 41!

I remember early in his career (first go-round with Minny) he got hurt a couple of times, and a Viking fan friend of mine started refering to him as the balsa wood quarterback. I always figured some DT would put an end to his career years ago.

woodbuck27
03-06-2007, 12:39 PM
Good Lord !

If a member of the Green Bay Packers with the title of GM ever got to giving Brett Favre more offensive weapons.

How long could Brett play?

With Ahman and Hendo gone.Good thing that Favre still has Donald Driver.

esoxx
03-06-2007, 05:33 PM
Brad Johnson is washed up.

Merlin
03-06-2007, 06:52 PM
Brad Johnson is/was a good QB. He is a good game manager and doesn't make a lot of mistakes. He got the shaft in Minnesotta with that over paid offensive line that couldn't block. His mobility isn't great anymore but he still can read defenses and throw the ball well. Tom Brady is more like Brad Johnson that any Patriot fan will ever admit. Those kinds of QB's just do their job day in and day out.

I wish him luck. I thought the Vikings screwed up when they let him go the first time. He definitely would have brought some class to a classless organization...