PDA

View Full Version : HAPPY TRAILS HENDO

Bretsky
03-05-2007, 10:34 PM
Per WTMJ, the Packer Flagship station in Milwaukee, William Henderson has told the he's been notified by the Green Bay Packers that he will be released.

If True, best of luck to William Henderson.

IMO you can still play, and if you decide to I hope you find success where you choose to go.

CHEERS to a TRUE QUALITY HUMAN BEING

:glug: :glug: :glug: :glug: :glug: :glug:

HarveyWallbangers
03-05-2007, 10:35 PM
Agreed.

Hendo and Ahman. Two guys that will be in the Packer Hall of Fame some day.

gbpackfan
03-05-2007, 10:37 PM
Love the guy but it's time to move on.

CaliforniaCheez
03-05-2007, 10:53 PM
There is no cap hit.

I think he can still play.

He's not officially gone.

If he is gone he will be able to play elsewhere.

Tony Oday
03-05-2007, 10:54 PM
See this would piss me off this is a guy that should retire as a Packer...

GrnBay007
03-05-2007, 10:56 PM
My favorite memory will be when he stuck it to ESPN last year during the draft. :P Gotta love that guy!!

GrnBay007
03-05-2007, 10:57 PM

YEP!!!

Tony Oday
03-05-2007, 10:59 PM

YEP!!!

Ditto he basically shut the talking hair up....thats kinda like blocking Reggie White with a Scat Back and have it work! :)

BF4MVP
03-05-2007, 11:36 PM
Agreed.

I don't think there's any doubt about that

GBRulz
03-06-2007, 12:21 AM
Packers Plan to Release William Henderson, He Says

March 5, 2007 10:06 PM CST

In the span of two days, the Green Bay Packers lose their starting backfield of the last seven seasons. First Ahman Green signed with the Houston Texans. Now William Henderson tells Action 2 Sports director Chris Roth the Packers will release him as soon as Tuesday.

The 12-year veteran has one year left on his contract calling for the veterans' minimum, but he knew this was a possibility.

The Packers brought in Brandon Miree last season, and he took the starting job until getting hurt.

Henderson missed just four games in his career, and is third all-time in games played for the Packers. He was, of course, our co-host on WBAY's Monday Night Kick-Off for the last eight seasons.

He wanted us to pass along this statement: "I want to express my 100% gratitude to the fans for their support both on and off the field, and not just MNKO. It was an honor to be associated with the Packers. It is humbling to leave such a great organization, but I will always be grateful for my time in Green Bay."

Henderson's departure means Brett Favre is the last holdover from the Super Bowl 31 championship team.

HarveyWallbangers
03-06-2007, 12:27 AM
Nice! Hendu is one of the smartest, hardest working, most dedicated athletes you'll ever find. He'll do great as either a broadcaster or coach in the future. I love his statement. I wouldn't expect anything less from Hendu.

OS PA
03-06-2007, 02:10 AM
Any chance this is the predecessor to Justin Griffith joining our team?

Patler
03-06-2007, 05:33 AM

Then he should retire rather than forcing the Packers to release him.

Fritz
03-06-2007, 06:52 AM
Great guy, but his time was up. I wish him all the best. One of my favorite Packers.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-06-2007, 06:58 AM
They could have kept him one more year it's not like his deal is hurting anyone. Anyways, good luck Heno, you are a great guy.

MJZiggy
03-06-2007, 07:05 AM
Man, will he be missed. I hope he has a great broadcasting career. He was always one of my favorite locker room interviews to watch. Great player, great guy.

Badgerinmaine
03-06-2007, 07:45 AM
Agreed.

Absolutely--hands down. I wish them both all the best.

Green Bud Packer
03-06-2007, 08:42 AM
Kudos to Hendo. He is a class guy and if no one picks him up he will retire a Packer.

Partial
03-06-2007, 08:45 AM
Why get rid of him when they have no one better? Also, why not have him retire as a packer?

BooHoo
03-06-2007, 08:50 AM
He played well for the Green and Gold for many years. I would hate to see him sign with Houston.

pittstang5
03-06-2007, 08:57 AM
I'm a bit confused about this situation, doesn't Hendo have one more year? The only thing I can come up with; I'm guessing the Packer's brass feel they're doing Hendo a favor by letting him go now, instead of later, so he has a better chance of signing with another team - if he still wants to play?

I'll admit, last year I was all about making sure he got signed. His play has really dropped off. He's lost his pop. Good luck to him!

gureski
03-06-2007, 09:32 AM
We hashed this over in a thread a while back and I think there was a large consensus that would like to see Henderson come back to the Packers as a coach much the way Edgar Bennett did.

We all love Henderson and will miss him. Hopefully it wont be long before he's back with the organization in some capacity.

And may I be one of the first to state that he has a possibility of being a TV guy. He's very well spoken and knows the game. I could see him moving into a sideline reporter role immediately, if that's what he chooses.

Rastak
03-06-2007, 09:36 AM
We hashed this over in a thread a while back and I think there was a large consensus that would like to see Henderson come back to the Packers as a coach much the way Edgar Bennett did.

We all love Henderson and will miss him. Hopefully it wont be long before he's back with the organization in some capacity.

And may I be one of the first to state that he has a possibility of being a TV guy. He's very well spoken and knows the game. I could see him moving into a sideline reporter role immediately, if that's what he chooses.

He'd be great on the tube......

Joemailman
03-06-2007, 09:44 AM
http://i.packers.com/pg/henderson_william/photo12.jpg

http://i.packers.com/pg/henderson_william_2006/photo3.jpg

Thinking about how I feel about William Henderson as a professional led me to thinking about whether I would want to see Randy Moss wearing the same uniform that Henderson did. The thing is though, Favre would probably say yes. It's a tough call.

Merlin
03-06-2007, 10:00 AM
What hasn't been really talked about is his presence on special teams. He has played on them his whole career including last year. If we can keep scrubs around just to fill those voids why not keep a pro bowl FB around? It doesn't make any sense to cut him now. It would make more sense to cut him during training camp if his performance wasn't up to par. I agree that this could be a move by the Packers to let him go and sign with another team for more money. It's obvious that TT doesn't believe in loyalty. I expect the following players to be let go over the next two seasons as well: Chad Clifton, Mark Tauscher, Donald Driver, Bubba Franks, Nick Barnett, KGB, Robert Ferguson, Brett Favre, Al Harris and Davis the long snapper. That will complete TT's "house cleaning" in an effort to make this his team.

Zool
03-06-2007, 10:03 AM
What hasn't been really talked about is his presence on special teams. He has played on them his whole career including last year. If we can keep scrubs around just to fill those voids why not keep a pro bowl FB around? It doesn't make any sense to cut him now. It would make more sense to cut him during training camp if his performance wasn't up to par. I agree that this could be a move by the Packers to let him go and sign with another team for more money. It's obvious that TT doesn't believe in loyalty. I expect the following players to be let go over the next two seasons as well: Chad Clifton, Mark Tauscher, Donald Driver, Bubba Franks, Nick Barnett, KGB, Robert Ferguson, Brett Favre, Al Harris and Davis the long snapper. That will complete TT's "house cleaning" in an effort to make this his team.

So he's not only dropping both starting tackles, he's dropping guys who are either HOF bound or he just signed to extensions in the last 12 months?

Reasonable......

Merlin
03-06-2007, 10:17 AM
An extension is not a guarantee of work in the NFL. Whale, Rivera, Walker, Green, Martin, Henderson, Flannigan, Diggs and many others were let go. All of them could have been resigned. No HOFer's in that group...

ny10804
03-06-2007, 10:35 AM
Any chance this is the predecessor to Justin Griffith joining our team?

In all likelihood, yes.

GBRulz
03-06-2007, 12:08 PM
I will certainly miss this guy. He's one of the classiest players ever to wear a Packers uniform.

http://www.appsphoto.com/galleries/packers/23.jpg

MJZiggy
03-06-2007, 12:18 PM
That's a GREAT shot Rulz!!!

Guiness
03-06-2007, 12:25 PM
You have to think he still wants to play, and the Pack don't think he can anymore, so they are letting him look around. Since he'd only count as the vet minimum, there are no salary cap savings by making the cut.

I would guess there's work out there if he wants it.

gureski
03-06-2007, 12:28 PM
You just have to let go. If you couldn't see that Henderson was running on empty last season then you weren't looking.

As far as him being a special teamer.....I hope he doesn't do that for the Packers or another team. Special teams play is a wild, fast-paced, hard on the body job. As a fan of Henderson, I'd rather see him retire then stick around another year and take the punishment that special teams blockers take. He can still walk today. He has made money and can live comfortably. He has a future in front of him that doesn't have to include playing football. It's time to move on and I didn't think that was the case last year. It was his performance last year that convinced me. He's not a pro-bowl FB anymore. He's a former pro-bowl FB. In my mind...I'll always view Henderson as a Pro-Bowl FB but on the field.....he's not a pro-bowler anymore. People get old. It happens. It's part of the game and part of life. I'm just happy for Henderson that he has things other then football going for him. Some guys don't.

Joemailman
03-06-2007, 12:38 PM
ESPN could improve their image by hiring Henderson to replace Michael Irvin. TT could repair some fences by offering Henderson a job in the Packer organization.

MJZiggy
03-06-2007, 12:47 PM
They already hired Bill Parcells for that, but there has to be some other idiot around there they could dump to make room for him.

MadtownPacker
03-06-2007, 12:55 PM
Maybe Big Willy needs a year away from it all before he can step into a different role. Hope he retires in G&G.

falco
03-06-2007, 01:10 PM
They could have kept him one more year it's not like his deal is hurting anyone. Anyways, good luck Heno, you are a great guy.

Why waste a roster spot on a guy who won't see the field and isn't a project to start somewhere later on??? If I remember correctly, he didn't even see special teams action the last half of the season.

Packers4Ever
03-06-2007, 02:49 PM
My favorite memory will be when he stuck it to ESPN last year during the draft. :P Gotta love that guy!!

Agree, 007 - I sat there in awe listening to what
he had to say to them about Brett. He didn't
mince any words either!

Good Luck to William, whatever he does...wherever he goes...

Merlin
03-06-2007, 06:56 PM

Why waste a roster spot on a guy who won't see the field and isn't a project to start somewhere later on??? If I remember correctly, he didn't even see special teams action the last half of the season.

That was by choice of the organization. He played special teams well, he blocked well and he caught the ball well. The only difference is that Miree is a little more comfortable in the ZBS. Miree didn't lay wood to anyone anymore then Henderson did.

Remember when they called him up when he wasn't on the roster for the away game (sorry forget which one) and he gladly flew down to replace a sick Miree? THAT is a player.

He still has a lot in the tank and with one year under his belt in the ZBS he would be better then Miree this season, but probably not for many more.

I hope whatever he wants works out, he is a class act.

red
03-06-2007, 07:54 PM
i really wished henderson would have just retired, its time for him

he's been a great packer, and oyou couldn't ask for a better team leader, but he's at the end

william, retire and join the coaching staff. his presence in the locker room and on the sidelines would still be a giant positive for this young team

Partial
03-06-2007, 08:06 PM
i really wished henderson would have just retired, its time for him

he's been a great packer, and oyou couldn't ask for a better team leader, but he's at the end

william, retire and join the coaching staff. his presence in the locker room and on the sidelines would still be a giant positive for this young team

I think he will. I don't think he was formally cut, yet.

MJZiggy
03-06-2007, 08:52 PM
This blurb is from the Press Gazette. It says he will be released possibly as early as today (which obviously didn't happen)

Press-Gazette

Fullback William Henderson said the Packers plan to release him, perhaps as early as today, according to WBAY-TV.

Henderson, 36, was drafted by the Packers in the third round in 1995 and played 12 seasons in Green Bay.

Henderson and Brett Favre are the only two players on the roster who were part of the Packers' 1996 Super Bowl championship team.

Henderson lost his starting job to Brandon Miree last season.