PDA

View Full Version : RB Options

HarveyWallbangers
03-05-2007, 11:57 PM
It looks like Chris Brown and/or find somebody in the draft. I really hate having so many positions that need filling (RB, WR, TE, S, CB) heading into the draft, so hopefully it plays out that we pick up some FAs. I do think Brown does have some upside. I don't think it would be bad going into the season with Brown, Morency, and a rookie.

Thompson said he fills that the RB situation doesn't need a veteran, but I think that's bull. The same article said the Packers have been in contact with Brown. Get something done.

Other FAs still available would be TEs Randy McMichael, Eric Johnson, and Daniel Graham. Graham sounds like he close to a deal somewhere. Johnson is visiting with teams. I'd like to see him make a play for McMichael or Johnson. At safety, Ken Hamlin and Deon Grant are available. Hamlin is visiting teams, so is Grant. Sounds like neither have been contacted by Green Bay. I think we'll have to fill WR in the draft. Not sure what's going on with CB Frank Walker, but I'd take him.

gbpackfan
03-06-2007, 12:05 AM
TT can still do A LOT of good: This is how the rest of FA should go for the Pack.

1. Trade for Moss
2. Sign RB Chris Brown
3. Sign TE Randy McMichael
4. Sign FB Justin Griffin
5. Sign CB Frank Walker

Draft

1. Lynch
2. Gone, for Moss
3. Best secondary player

If Lynch is gone trade down and pick up Antonio Pittman in round 2.

Bretsky
03-06-2007, 12:05 AM
Chris Brown ha....gosh I'm feeling a bit ill. Considering how much he gets injured, is he that much better than Dominique Rhodes ?

Lamont Jordan might be coming available. If he's healthy.

I hoped we were not going to go into the draft feeling desperate at a position; while we have plenty of other needs it feels like RB is an extreme need now.

NFL live is doing a special on GB now; they reflect my view as well. GB almost has to go RB high in the draft. Lynch may be our need pick if he's there.

gbpackfan
03-06-2007, 12:10 AM
LaMont Jordan just re-did his deal with Oakland, it's on profootballtalk.com. Signing Brown and drafting Lynch is almost a must now. Brown can be very good IF he can stay healthy, but that is a HUGE IF!

HarveyWallbangers
03-06-2007, 12:23 AM
Brown is injury prone, but I'd be cool with having him as part of a rotation with Morency, and then drafting an RB later in the draft.

packrulz
03-06-2007, 05:41 AM
I think TJ Duckett would be a better fit but I'm thinking TT will wait about 4 weeks before signing anyone.

Fritz
03-06-2007, 06:49 AM
Everybody here seems to think Lynch is now a "have to" pick, but remember that TT does seem to evaluate talent fairly well. How do we know he doesn't see the Packers' running back of the future sitting out there at Eastern Kentucky or Northern Illinois, ready to be plucked in the fourth round?

It doesn't have to be Lynch. Hopefully TT will target a player but not lock into one player. That's Mike Sherman thinking, and while it netted him Javon Walker, it also netted him BJ Sander and Donnell Washington.

Bretsky
03-06-2007, 06:54 AM
Everybody here seems to think Lynch is now a "have to" pick, but remember that TT does seem to evaluate talent fairly well. How do we know he doesn't see the Packers' running back of the future sitting out there at Eastern Kentucky or Northern Illinois, ready to be plucked in the fourth round?

It doesn't have to be Lynch. Hopefully TT will target a player but not lock into one player. That's Mike Sherman thinking, and while it netted him Javon Walker, it also netted him BJ Sander and Donnell Washington.

Most feel the need is desperate enoough to force our hands now; I certainly like TT as a drafter but don't worship him for finding infinite gems nobody knows about. He can certainly roll the dice at RB if he wants, but IMO he needs to do better than that in early rounds if he doesn't bring anyone in.

Remember last year he rolled the dice on Cory Rodgers and let Marques Colston pass him by several times. I'm not criticizing TT here; I'm just pointing out that IMO the cup is dry and we might not be able to afford to take a flyer.

Scott Campbell
03-06-2007, 07:12 AM
...........................and let Marques Colston pass him by several times.

LOL

So did every other team in the NFL, including the Saints who passed on him through 6 rounds.

Bretsky
03-06-2007, 07:42 AM
...........................and let Marques Colston pass him by several times.

LOL

So did every other team in the NFL, including the Saints who passed on him through 6 rounds.

Which proves my point; my point was to say TT is solid but there is no reason to idolize the guy yet as somebody who can find guys at smaller colleges that nobody knows about and draft them

MacCool606
03-06-2007, 07:51 AM
Are Arliss Beach and PJ Pope just considered camp bodies? I remember a pre-season game where Beach looked pretty good, and I thought he had an upside. And, I remember when Green was hurt last season, and PJ Pope seemed like a steal from the Bears practice squad.

Fritz
03-06-2007, 07:56 AM
MacCool, it's one thing when we fans get excited about a guy based on one pre-season game, but I recollect also that the coaching staff really liked Beach. I know people don't like no-name players, but on another thread someone posted the rosters of the last three Super Bowl champs and where the players came from; it is surprising how many starters on those teams were undrafted rookie FA's - the Cullen Jenkinses of the world.

This is not to say Beach is all that and then some, but I suspect TT has a better handle on the running back situation then most people would give him credit for.

Besides, lost of folks keep saying that Denver could turn sixth round picks into thousand yard rushers, so let's see if that'll hold true here.

Lurker64
03-06-2007, 08:00 AM
Which proves my point; my point was to say TT is solid but there is no reason to idolize the guy yet as somebody who can find guys at smaller colleges that nobody knows about and draft them

So essentially the knock on Thompson is "he's incapable of seeing the future"? Every team drafts guys like Colston, small school guys who seem like they have the tools to make it to the next level, but the strength of their body of work leaves questionmarks. It's called "the seventh round of the NFL draft", and all any GM is doing there is pretty much guessing. Colson, like some guys panned out, but most don't. The only way anybody could have known that Colston was one of the 7th round guys that instantly become an NFL contributor was "seeing the future." You can't scout how the guy would play against top level talent because you have no tape of him playing against top level talent.

Then again, if Thompson could learn to see the future, he would be a better GM. Get on that Ted.

CaptainKickass
03-06-2007, 08:29 AM
Brown is injury prone, but I'd be cool with having him as part of a rotation with Morency, and then drafting an RB later in the draft.

Something crappy about going from Green to Brown.

I mean - when you take a dump it's usually Brown - but then again it's sometimes Green too, or a mix of the two.

Either way Green to Brown - makes me think of crap. And so with that sort of divine logic I think we go with Morency, Beach, and whomever else wherever they may come from and hope that it all doesn't turn out to be a big 'ol heaping steamy pile of colonic defecation.

Crapfully yours,

The Captain.

And PS. - just because of all the references to crap....I thought I should put in the obligatory reference to "The Dump Truck" the former Packer who was known over here as Najeh Davenport or as some liked to call him Davenpoop.

HarveyWallbangers
03-06-2007, 09:41 AM
I think TJ Duckett would be a better fit but I'm thinking TT will wait about 4 weeks before signing anyone.

Personally, I think Duckett would be a horrible fit. Atlanta jettisoned partly because he didn't fit their zone blocking scheme that well. The mostly used him as a goal-line back in his years there.

Ballboy
03-06-2007, 10:19 AM
Are Arliss Beach and PJ Pope just considered camp bodies? I remember a pre-season game where Beach looked pretty good, and I thought he had an upside. And, I remember when Green was hurt last season, and PJ Pope seemed like a steal from the Bears practice squad.

I agree....I was looking forward to seeing Beach play last year, and living in Rockford, IL; I got to see alot of PJ Pope and he tore it up in preseason for the Bears.

Look, I'm pissed that we lost Green and the fact that we are NOT doing anything in FA....but last year we waited, got some solid FA's that with the exception of Manuel contributed well. I say stick with what we got, Brown sucks, J. Lewis might be over the hill, Dillion is(Bell might peek my interest)and wait till the draft, if Lynch falls to us in the first, grab him. If not then look to Bush in second to third round.

Fritz
03-06-2007, 11:08 AM

Something crappy about going from Green to Brown.

I mean - when you take a dump it's usually Brown - but then again it's sometimes Green too, or a mix of the two.

Either way Green to Brown - makes me think of crap. And so with that sort of divine logic I think we go with Morency, Beach, and whomever else wherever they may come from and hope that it all doesn't turn out to be a big 'ol heaping steamy pile of colonic defecation.

Crapfully yours,

The Captain.

And PS. - just because of all the references to crap....I thought I should put in the obligatory reference to "The Dump Truck" the former Packer who was known over here as Najeh Davenport or as some liked to call him Davenpoop.

Cap'n...your post was crap! A lot of good sh-t there.

bbbffl66
03-06-2007, 03:34 PM

Remember too that it was Wolfie's MO when he drafted 37 DB's to counter a certain WR in purple(and soon green I hope!).