PDA

View Full Version : Pats trade 2nd rd pick for WR (he is not named moss)

cheesner
03-06-2007, 09:36 AM
The Dolphins dealt receiver Wes Welker to the New England Patriots for their second- and seventh-round draft picks in April. New England's second-round pick is No. 60 overall.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/03/06/bc.fbn.dolphinsmoves.ap/index.html?eref=si_nfl

I doubt the Pats would still be interested in trading for another WR.
Now this leaves the Packers as the only team (reportedly) interested in Moss. WIthout the Pats bidding - the price should drop.

ND72
03-06-2007, 09:40 AM
The Dolphins dealt receiver Wes Welker to the New England Patriots for their second- and seventh-round draft picks in April. New England's second-round pick is No. 60 overall.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/03/06/bc.fbn.dolphinsmoves.ap/index.html?eref=si_nfl

Now this leaves the Packers as the only team (reportedly) interested in Moss. WIthout the Pats bidding - the price should drop.

The fact that Miami got a 2nd round pick for Wes Welker, in my opinion, RAISES the price for moss.

cheesner
03-06-2007, 09:45 AM
The fact that Miami got a 2nd round pick for Wes Welker, in my opinion, RAISES the price for moss.
That was my first thought, but then I realized there is a big difference between the two - Welker is a rising star and Moss is on the decline. Pats pick is later in the 2nd than the Packers (28th ish).

LL2
03-06-2007, 09:53 AM

Not necessarily. This could swing the ball in TT’s favor. It’s supply and demand. If fewer people are interested, then negotiating power gets reduced (for the Raiders).

Partial
03-06-2007, 11:07 AM
The pats sense there window is closing and are making a run. They landed a slot receiver/returner, a new linebacker, and are going to sign Stallworth.

I have a hunch they sense their window is closing since their linebackers and safeties are getting old fast. They will probably win it all this year if they have an even decent draft.

Fritz
03-06-2007, 11:10 AM
Man, I just don't follow the NFL like I used to. I don't even know who Wes Welker is. And Miami got a second and a seventh for the guy.

Packnut
03-06-2007, 11:15 AM
Man, I just don't follow the NFL like I used to. I don't even know who Wes Welker is. And Miami got a second and a seventh for the guy.

He's a solid slot type #3 WR and a very good punt returner. Unless your name is Colston, 7th rd picks are camp fodder so this is basically Welker for a #2 which is a bit high.

Partial
03-06-2007, 12:05 PM
Its essentially a high three because its at the bottom of the second. I don't think thats a bad price for an up and coming slot receiver and an excellent punt returner. He'll help that team big time.

woodbuck27
03-06-2007, 12:14 PM

He's a solid slot type #3 WR and a very good punt returner. Unless your name is Colston, 7th rd picks are camp fodder so this is basically Welker for a #2 which is a bit high.

That was my thinking at first but Welker has talent and gives the Pat's value returning kicks and punts.

Tyrone Bigguns
03-06-2007, 12:15 PM
Welker is only the 2nd guy in 15 years to lead his team in team in receptions, punt returns and kickoff returns in the same season, which he did in 2006.

He was the Fins leading receiver despite only starting 2 games.

He also served as a backup kicker..made a field goal and extra point in 04.

Overall, a great pickup for the Pats. Unsung, team oriented guy who produces. Pretty much exactly what GB needs.

esoxx
03-06-2007, 05:32 PM
So...

what does Wes Welker have in common with Javon Walker?

both were traded for a 2nd round pick.

Seems a bit lopsided.

HarveyWallbangers
03-06-2007, 05:36 PM
Welker is only the 2nd guy in 15 years to lead his team in team in receptions, punt returns and kickoff returns in the same season, which he did in 2006.

He was the Fins leading receiver despite only starting 2 games.

He also served as a backup kicker..made a field goal and extra point in 04.

Overall, a great pickup for the Pats. Unsung, team oriented guy who produces. Pretty much exactly what GB needs.

Big deal. He lead the team in punt and kickoff returns because he was the returner for both. His stats are very underwhelming on returns. He averaged a pedestrian 22 yards/KOR and a pedestrian 9 yards/PR. He led the team in receiving, but didn't even break 700 yards. He has a total of 1 career receiving TD and 1 career return TD. For that, they gave up a 2nd and 7th round pick. Not every team is going to hit on every move, and this is one move that I think the Patriots missed on. On the other hand, the Adalius Thomas signing made the most sense of any FA acquisition.

RashanGary
03-06-2007, 06:07 PM
Maybe the Pats see the cap going up and they figure anyone they sign now will seem cheap tomorrow.

EDIT:

I'm sure they want to make a run with Brady like Partial said.