PDA

View Full Version : Griffin vists Packers/Porter signs with Dolphins

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-06-2007, 11:02 AM
By Adam Schefter
NFL Analyst

Free agency has opened with a flurry of activity. Already, numerous teams are on the board. Take a glance at the deals, and the potential soon-to-be deals.

Tuesday, March 6
The Miami Dolphins and LB Joey Porter have reached agreement on a five-year, $32.5 million deal that includes $20 million worth of guaranteed money.

Free-agent fullback Justin Griffith will be visiting Green Bay today.

Free-agent tackle Luke Petitgout has reached agreement on a deal with Tampa Bay.

Fritz
03-06-2007, 11:05 AM
I predict here that in the end, TT will sign Justin Griffith.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-06-2007, 11:06 AM

I hope so he would be perfect for the ZBS.

Packnut
03-06-2007, 11:17 AM

I just hope he does'nt over-pay! :lol:

ND72
03-06-2007, 11:17 AM
Teddy can NOT let this guy leave without signing here. Just can't.

Sparkey
03-06-2007, 11:18 AM

Why ?

Packnut
03-06-2007, 11:22 AM

Why ?

He's an upgrade over what we have now. Signing him would only leave glaring holes at WR, TE, RB and saftey. Hey, 1 out of 5 ain't bad if your name's Ted Thompson! :cry:

LL2
03-06-2007, 11:41 AM

Why ?

So, our first FA splash will be this guy? Instead of a splash it will be more like car hitting a pothole full of water. So what are the stats on this guy? I don’t know much about him. Why is he good for the ZBS? Isn’t the guy they brought in to replace Hendo suppose to be good?

Packnut
03-06-2007, 11:41 AM
If anyone is interested, this is scouts inc's take on him.

Griffith is an experience player with good positional versatility. He plays in both regular and sub-offensive personnel groupings. He is a good athlete for the fullback position. He has good quickness and body control. He is a tough player but is not a great finisher as a lead blocker. As a run blocker, he is used primarily as a lead blocker in the Falcons zone-blocking schemes. He has good quickness, awareness and ability to adjust as a blocker. Griffith has some agility to change direction on the move and get up in the crease. He can dip, lift and drive but is not a big finisher on contact. He is a road grater type but gets enough contact and movement to allow the running back to get through the hole and onto the second level. He has above-average run instincts but lacks lateral agility to avoid and is not real elusive or sudden as a runner. In the passing game, he has good quickness to get open and separate in his routes. He has good hands and above-average ability as a runner after the catch for a fullback. Overall, Griffith is a young developing player that would fit in well as a starter in a West Coast offense for some teams.

HarveyWallbangers
03-06-2007, 12:11 PM
Actually, Griffith was on my FA wish list. I think he's the best FB in the league for the scheme we run.

He was also #2 on Pasquarelli's top UFA sleepers list.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2784447

One of the NFL's best, if little-known, fullbacks. But Griffin does not seem to fit into the plans of first-year Falcons coach Bobby Petrino. An excellent lead blocker and pass protector, and solid-enough receiver, he'll get plenty of action.

Guiness
03-06-2007, 12:15 PM
I especially like the part about his play in the passing game. Nothing better than a fullback who catches the ball out of the backfield, and makes the DL turn around...

MadtownPacker
03-06-2007, 12:33 PM
This would be a excellent move. Like Harv said, the dude is custom built for this system.

hawaii50
03-06-2007, 02:05 PM
this is the guy i wanted on the packers for a long time. i know fb is not a glorified position, but he could have a good impact on the offense. i hope ted ponies up for him.

imscott72
03-06-2007, 02:11 PM
He would definitely be an excellent signing. Now we just need a RB to follow him thru the holes... :)

Bretsky
03-06-2007, 06:21 PM
By Adam Schefter
NFL Analyst

Free agency has opened with a flurry of activity. Already, numerous teams are on the board. Take a glance at the deals, and the potential soon-to-be deals.

Tuesday, March 6
The Miami Dolphins and LB Joey Porter have reached agreement on a five-year, $32.5 million deal that includes $20 million worth of guaranteed money.

Free-agent fullback Justin Griffith will be visiting Green Bay today.

Free-agent tackle Luke Petitgout has reached agreement on a deal with Tampa Bay.

WE HAVE A VISITOR; The Beast in TT has awakened !!

HarveyWallbangers
03-07-2007, 12:08 AM
It's just Griffith--not Griffin. His official visit is tomorrow. Joe Horn is scheduled for a visit later in the week. Chris Brown has been contacted. That's the updated I've found.

Packers4Glory
03-07-2007, 01:04 AM
I'll take him. he fits the scheme and the offense to a T.

Him and graham were 2 guys i really wanted in FA. unfortunately Graham is gone.

Fritz
03-07-2007, 04:50 AM
I believe this would be a good move, but I still don't get the "we-have-to-sign-this-guy" mentality. A signing of a "name" free agent just for the sake of it?

mmmdk
03-07-2007, 05:00 AM
I believe this would be a good move, but I still don't get the "we-have-to-sign-this-guy" mentality. A signing of a "name" free agent just for the sake of it?

I think Justin Griffith is more than a name player - he actually delivers. Sign him, Justin Griffith can even sub as HB and is an awesome receiver out of the back field. Blocking too. SIGN HIM!

Fritz
03-07-2007, 05:02 AM
Well, I welcome the idea that he's a good signing because he'd fit the scheme, be productive, is young, and fits into the salary structure and overall plan TT has.

I'm down with this, as long as TT doesn't overpay. But that doesn't seem likely. I somehow think TT will get this guy.

mmmdk
03-07-2007, 06:15 AM
Well, I welcome the idea that he's a good signing because he'd fit the scheme, be productive, is young, and fits into the salary structure and overall plan TT has.

I'm down with this, as long as TT doesn't overpay. But that doesn't seem likely. I somehow think TT will get this guy.

You're absolutely right, Fritz, overpaying is the theme early in free agency yet I surely hope TT gets Griffith even by overpaying. Griffith is no fluke - he's a gamer that'll thrive with Favre throwing to him.