PDA

View Full Version : Don Banks on FA

falco
03-06-2007, 09:24 PM
Ten moves I dislike

1. The Texans sign Ahman Green -- There would seem to me to be a big difference between the Green of the past three years and the one who was an offensive force in Green Bay from 2000-2003. Texans offensive coordinator Mike Sherman -- Green's former Packers head coach -- obviously sold Houston on a running back who just turned 30, with more than 1,800 career carries to his credit. The Texans will pay Green $8 million this year, the first season of a four-year, $23 million package. We can't see Green being enough of a difference-maker at this point to deserve that kind of generosity.

5. The Dolphins release Randy McMichael -- He had a $3 million roster bonus coming, and Miami's trade efforts fizzled, but to just give away the club's career reception leader at tight end, after three consecutive seasons of at least 60 catches, seems short-sighted. McMichael is only 27, and he remains one of the more athletically gifted tight ends in the league. Is Miami's offense so over-stocked with playmakers that it can lose McMichael and Wes Welker in the same week and not even feel it?

If there is anyone TT should overpay for right now, I'd go with McMichael. We are desperate for a TE, and there isn't any depth in the draft. If we can sign McMichael, trade for Moss or sign a rb, then pick up a rb/wr in the first round, we make strides towards filling those 3 holes.[/b]

gureski
03-07-2007, 08:55 AM
McMichael isn't any different to me then B.Franks. I have the football Scientist's breakdown of McMichael and it's not pretty. I'll dig it out. He's a player whose stats end up making him look better then he is. He's not a TE that can stretch the field for us. We need a TE that can stretch the field and block. McMichael's career is on the way down....just like Franks.

MadtownPacker
03-07-2007, 09:06 AM
McMichael may have had a down year last season but look who the QB was. If I recall this guy can catch the deep ball so I dont know how he can be compared to Bubba

gureski
03-07-2007, 09:12 AM
I don't have the book with me but the perception people have of McMichael is exactly what you speak of. He's not a deep guy. When you break down his receptions over the past few years you'll find that he got an overwhelming majority of his receptions within 9 yards of scrimmage. He also drops alot and disappears during the later parts of the season.

I was surprised when I read the breakdown because I had always thought McMichael was amongst the top half of TE's in the league but the film doesn't lie. He gets alot of dump off stuff and that makes his stats look better then what they are. Think about the QB's he played with over the years. They weren't rifle arms and alot of those QB's were young or playing due to injury. They're precisely the kind of QB's that would be looking to dump off to the TE alot.

I'll get that write up about McMichael and post it so you can see what I'm talking about. In the end, McMichael isn't much better then what we have in Franks. Franks is a better blocker so we may be better off with Franks. If you have two players that can only catch short routes and both drop passes but one blocks better then the other ......keep the better blocker. McMichael has just had more chances then Franks over the years.

wist43
03-07-2007, 09:14 AM
If we're "desperate" at a position, it's RB...

As for McMichael, he's quite a bit better than Franks... not near the blocker Franks is, but a much better receiving TE. No need to overpay though.

prsnfoto
03-07-2007, 09:14 AM
but to just give away the club's career reception leader at tight end, after three consecutive seasons of at least 60 catches, seems short-sighted. McMichael is only 27, and he remains one of the more athletically gifted tight ends in the league.

Sorry but this would three Bubba Frank's, he could be signed and has a few years left Bubba is dead as a TE he may want to look into what it takes to be a guard or long snapper in this league.

gureski
03-07-2007, 09:53 AM
but to just give away the club's career reception leader at tight end, after three consecutive seasons of at least 60 catches, seems short-sighted. McMichael is only 27, and he remains one of the more athletically gifted tight ends in the league.

That's what I'm trying to point out! McMichael is perceived to be really good and athletic but why? It's merely perception which was based on some good numbers that once you break those numbers down.....aren't that impressive.

Maybe if the team who has seen McMichael play over the past few years and knows him best ...maybe if they're willing to dump him then maybe he's not what everyone thinks he is. I'm just trying to get people to open their minds for a moment and not get lost in the fact that the Packers need a TE. If the guy isn't going to truly improve the team then go after someone else.

If you think about it....the Dolphins just chose David Martin over Randy McMichael. They have nothing else at TE to fall on. To them, David Martin is a better option then McMichael. We know what David Martin is all about. I bet there are very few of us that wanted to see him starting at TE in 2007 for the Green and Gold so if the Dolphins think Martin is better then McMichael....and we know Martin sucks....what does that say about McMichael?

gureski
03-07-2007, 09:58 AM
J.Stevens is the way for the Pack to go at TE. He'd provide great value because he's not going to get big money like Graham got from Denver. Stevens is more athletic then McMichael, is a better blocker, and a better receiver. I think he's younger too. You could run with Stevens for 2 or 3 years while you slowly find a future TE in the draft (which is the real solution to this issue). Stevens is the best value for the Packers to pursue. If you look at ability and what it will cost to get him.....you're not going to find a better package this year. If Stevens wasn't such a jackass he would've received a payday bigger then Graham got this year. His loss could be our gain.

MTPackerfan
03-07-2007, 10:12 AM
too bad Stevens had so many Drops in critical games. Gave himself a bad rep with that .