PDA

View Full Version : Harris leaves the Vikings for the Chiefs

Patler
03-07-2007, 07:20 AM
http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/KC/10043238

Bretsky
03-07-2007, 07:31 AM
I saw that; Harris was a average at best LB. And he got 4MIL

Nick Barnett has to be a pretty happy camper right now; he knows he'll be getting a huge payday.

And the value shoppers will say either GB or another team overpaid him.

Fritz
03-07-2007, 08:10 AM
Bretsky - consider that given the market, re-doing Barnett's contract might just take up a rather large chunk of that 23 million that GB has right now. Maybe TT doesn't have as much to spend as we think, IF in fact he's seriously trying to get Barnett's contract done now.

Patler
03-07-2007, 08:21 AM
I saw that; Harris was a average at best LB. And he got 4MIL

Nick Barnett has to be a pretty happy camper right now; he knows he'll be getting a huge payday.

And the value shoppers will say either GB or another team overpaid him.

It will take everyone a while to adjust, but you really have to be only a little appealing as a player to get a contract that averages $3 million or more.

Salary cap = $109 million
To pay 60-65 players, maybe a few more (active, practice sguad, IR)
Practice squad is negligible for salary cap purposes, leaving 55-60 players for $108+ million..

Even good teams will have at least about 15-20 players who are rookies with minimal cap impact, or veterans at or near minimum salaries. Together they may take up less than $10 million in salary cap dollars.

That leaves close to $100 million for 35-45 players, or there about. Sure, there will be a few who cost a lot against the cap, so others will have to be in the 1-2 million range; but you certainly don't have to be a star anymore to get close to a contract that averages $3 million per year.

Fritz
03-07-2007, 08:25 AM
Thus, TT could be wisely saving some of that 23 mill IF in fact he's seriosuly negotiating with Barnett's agent. Wonder what Barnett could pull down in the open market?

prsnfoto
03-07-2007, 08:56 AM
Considering A. Thomas got 7+ Million and he is 5 times the player Barnett is I stand by my 5 million or let him go feelings. All the Barnett lovers need to accept the fact his average at best he should be paid just not much.

Partial
03-07-2007, 09:56 AM
Considering A. Thomas got 7+ Million and he is 5 times the player Barnett is I stand by my 5 million or let him go feelings. All the Barnett lovers need to accept the fact his average at best he should be paid just not much.

Except Thomas could have gotten 10mil elsewhere. He wants a superbowl and to stay on the east coast.

Barnett gets 7-8/yr will the silly ass salaries around now.

Patler
03-07-2007, 10:46 AM

All the Barnett detractors (haters) need to accept the fact that he is much better than they give him credit for and that he should be among the better, but not best paid linebackers in the league.

MJZiggy
03-07-2007, 10:54 AM
I'll agree with that Patler. I think Barnett is very good and hope they can get something done to keep him here.

Packnut
03-07-2007, 10:58 AM
He's better than anything we have now or will be available on the horizon.

billy_oliver880
03-07-2007, 10:58 AM

All the Barnett detractors (haters) need to accept the fact that he is much better than they give him credit for and that he should be among the better, but not best paid linebackers in the league.

I don't understand why people think Barnett is so pedestrian? :roll:

woodbuck27
03-07-2007, 12:28 PM
Just reading this thread and to place my spin on it:

OK so if we have $23 million CAP space and to extend Nick Barnett it costs about $6 Million per season. That leaves 17 Million and lets set aside $10 million to sign the rookie class and leave some ceiling.

Given that scenario . . . and that it will cost about $4 million to sign a Justin Griffith, we should all get a better picture of why Ted Thompson isn't too active in free agency.

Alot certainly hinges on the value he places in Nick Barnett.

More hinges on when Brett Favre retires, with a cost of about $12 million to the CAP.

I feel that Ted Thompson got alot closer to that reality (or the Favre retirement, after or during the 2007 season) by not agressively securing Ahman Green.

Consider the possible negative consequences to OUR running game and added pressure to pass the ball.

For those of you who are salivating over the prospects of Randy Moss to Green Bay. Forget about it.

One

We can't afford Randy Moss's contract needs unless Brett Favre comes to the rescue and restructures his contract dramatically and . . .

Two

Its been reported that Randy Moss desires to be a winner again.
See Ahman Green.

Three

I'm not sure how the Pat's can swing it money wise, but Randy Moss would (I expect) prefer that organization to the Packers given OUR present state.The Pat's are being very aggresive in free agency to get back to the Super Bowl.

Four

It's very possible (see Nick Barnett and Brett Favre) that Randy Moss or any player even costing in the $6-7 million dollar per season range will not be a fit for Ted Thompson's two - three year plans or agenda based on reality.