PDA

View Full Version : McGahee Discussion

Packnut
03-07-2007, 01:28 PM
When you look over options at RB, is this guy an answer? He's still young at 25 or 26 (I forget which). I think his stats at Buffalo might be a bit deceiving. He avg'd 3.8 the last 2 seasons but everyone who played the Bills had NO RESPECT for their passing game since they hav'nt had a QB. He mostly ran against 7 and 8 in the box so in reality that 3.8 ypc might be damn good. His pass catching skills look adequate.

It's pretty much a done deal that a #3 pick should be enough to get him according to Clayton. The reason not many other teams are drooling over him is his contract would have to be re-negotiated as this is his last contractual season.

So then it comes down to these 2 questions. How good would he be in Green Bay and is he worth the contract that he's gonna want? This is scouts inc's latest evaluation:

Grade: 79 | Key
Alert: None

Comment:
McGahee is big, strong and skilled. He is explosive, powerful and can be effective inside and outside the tackles. He has the speed and acceleration to get downhill quickly and press the hole. He has good lower-body strength and is a natural jump-cutter. He has good vision as a zone runner and good pick-and-slide ability. He can stop and restart smoothly and quickly. He runs with good lean at the second level and will fall forward after contact. He has the burst and speed to bounce outside and turn the corner. He is an effective short-yardage and goal-line runner. He has good receiving skills and is a strong runner after the catch. He can weave and avoid in space. McGahee seemed to wear down late in 2005 and could be an injury risk. He tends to run a little upright and expose his body to big hits. He suffered a serious knee injury in college. He doesn't deliver many big runs, though he runs behind a poor offensive line. He has the size to match up in pass protection but is somewhat inconsistent on the edges.

Fritz
03-07-2007, 01:47 PM
Yawn. I wouldn't want to see TT give up a pick for an okay guy.

red
03-07-2007, 01:49 PM
mcgahee is a great back, who played with the dreaded broken ribs last year

however, i have no clue how he would work in a ZBS

Packnut
03-07-2007, 01:52 PM
mcgahee is a great back, who played with the dreaded broken ribs last year

however, i have no clue how he would work in a ZBS

Scout's inc states he's a good "zone runner". I would guess that includes a ZBS?

wist43
03-07-2007, 01:59 PM
Damn good back...

His low YPC is precisely due to their lack of a passing game - which is the same fate I see for the Packers long term, but I digress - If they could rework his contract into something managable, he'd be a hell of a pick-up.

HarveyWallbangers
03-07-2007, 02:00 PM
Personally, I think he's overrated. He's okay. Nothing special.

I'm actually not all that worried. RB has become one of the easiest positions to fill. Every year there are rookie RBs that come and star right away. Last year, it was the likes of Maurice Jones-Drew, Reggie Bush, and Joseph Addai. As long as you have a good OL, RBs aren't all that tough to find. I loved Ahman, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if a combination of Morency and Chris Brown or Dominic Rhodes were effective.

red
03-07-2007, 02:04 PM
Personally, I think he's overrated. He's okay. Nothing special.

he beat your ass in FF this year

Packnut
03-07-2007, 02:07 PM
Damn good back...

His low YPC is precisely due to their lack of a passing game - which is the same fate I see for the Packers long term, but I digress - If they could rework his contract into something managable, he'd be a hell of a pick-up.

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense. As far a giving up a 3rd, it's a no-brainer. Could be Favre's last season and worrying about the value of a 3rd rd pick is foolish imo. It all comes down to money and what's "acceptable" for a #1 RB. His only negative that I can see is the injury bug, but most backs get banged up.

Still, getting him wipes out our need at RB and gives Thompson more freedom at 16. McGahee also is an upgrade over Green.

BlueBrewer
03-07-2007, 02:20 PM
I for one would like to have him over any of the leftover FAs, but that being said I think it is highly unlikely that he would get a big contract extension from TT.

Zool
03-07-2007, 02:22 PM
A 3rd rounder for a known commodity seems like a safe bet. McGahee will probably never lead the league in rushing, but I'll take 1200 yards for the next 3-4 seasons. Last year we got an O-lineman and a backup MLB for our 3rd picks. It seems like a good deal if you can get him to sign an extension.

HarveyWallbangers
03-07-2007, 03:07 PM
For a 3rd round pick, he's probably worth it. I wonder if that's all Buffalo wants.

woodbuck27
03-07-2007, 03:14 PM
For a 3rd round pick, he's probably worth it. I wonder if that's all Buffalo wants.

If Ted Thompson got Willis McGahee for a third and signed J.Griffith as well and alone fr. FA.

Then set up the rest of the season in the draft.

Would many Packer fans be disappointed?

I wouldn't be. :)

Packnut
03-07-2007, 03:44 PM

This is from Clayton's blog yesterday:

Who fits the Bills? The Bills continued to escalate their effort to replace Willis McGahee, who is being shopped in a trade. On Tuesday, they looked at Dominic Rhodes. On Wednesday, it will be Chris Brown of the Titans. It's pretty clear it's going to be hard for the Bills to get more than a third-round choice for McGahee, but they may just have to make the trade anyway. The Ravens apparently are interested if they can't re-sign Jamal Lewis.

Today's blog states talks are heating up with Baltimore. Look's like the Ravens are gonna get him...... :cry:

HarveyWallbangers
03-07-2007, 03:54 PM
Just because Clayton reports it may be hard for Buffalo to get more than a 3rd doesn't mean he can be had for a 3rd. Clayton is good, but Buffalo may just keep him if they don't get a good offer. We'll see. I'd explore it just in case, but it doesn't mean he can be had for a 3rd round pick.

Packnut
03-07-2007, 03:58 PM
Just because Clayton reports it may be hard for Buffalo to get more than a 3rd doesn't mean he can be had for a 3rd. Clayton is good, but Buffalo may just keep him if they don't get a good offer. We'll see. I'd explore it just in case, but it doesn't mean he can be had for a 3rd round pick.

Well, I guess we'll find out when the trade between them is made.

pbmax
03-07-2007, 06:31 PM
Two concerns:

Drew.

Rosenhaus.

And why is Buffalo looking to throw him into the lake?

ND72
03-07-2007, 06:33 PM
to say Willis McGahee is "average" or "ok" is like saying Kevin Jones, or Thomas jones are "just average" or just "ok". Willis is one of the top backs in the AFC. He's a legit 1500 yard back.

RashanGary
03-07-2007, 06:45 PM
McGahee is an amazing back. I would have a very hard time dealing with Rosenhaus though. If we did trade for him, I owuld want to lock him up early at a more reasonable deal rather than let him get to UFA next season.

LEWCWA
03-07-2007, 07:17 PM
If you plan to draft Lynch you don't trade for him, if your not sold on Lynch you make the deal.

retailguy
03-07-2007, 07:22 PM
to say Willis McGahee is "average" or "ok" is like saying Kevin Jones, or Thomas jones are "just average" or just "ok". Willis is one of the top backs in the AFC. He's a legit 1500 yard back.

Reading your quote about Thomas Jones made me chuckle. All things aside, now there is a guy who rehabilitated his image... A few years back everyone thought he was a bust and couldn't play.

This is one reason I don't listen to EVERYONES opinion.... Lip flappin bull shit... most of the time... :wink:

and you're right, Jones & Jones are good backs. McGahee is good, but probably not special... Worth a third round pick though.

ND72
03-07-2007, 07:24 PM
If you plan to draft Lynch you don't trade for him, if your not sold on Lynch you make the deal.

at #16, you don't plan to have anyone fall to you.

red
03-07-2007, 07:39 PM
from pft

McGAHEE TO RAVENS TONIGHT OR TOMORROW?

A league source tells us that there's a good chance that the Buffalo Bill will trade running back Willis McGahee to the Baltimore Ravens on Wednesday night or Thursday.

Per the source, there are a couple of other teams still in the hunt for McGahee. As of now, however, the Ravens are at the front of the pack.

Also, a reader tells us that there are reports on Sirius NFL Radio that such a trade would entail Baltimore sending a second-round pick and a fifth-round pick to Buffalo.

If the trade happens, Ravens likely will be signing McGahee to a long-term deal. Based on recent contracts, McGahee could get $20 million in guaranteed money. (Ray Lewis will be thrilled with that.)

Meanwhile, the Bills are looking for McGahee's eventual replacement. Chris Brown visited Buffalo on Wednesday, and Corey Dillon is up next.

b bulldog
03-07-2007, 08:42 PM
I was hoping TT would make a play for Willis. A second and a fifth isn't too much imo because he is young.

Charles Woodson
03-07-2007, 08:45 PM
I was hoping TT would make a play for Willis. A second and a fifth isn't too much imo because he is young.

But we have TT.

Green Bud Packer
03-07-2007, 08:50 PM
$20 million guaranteed means no green bay for mcgahee

HarveyWallbangers
03-07-2007, 09:08 PM
How can McGahee be a legit 1500 yard back when he's never had more than 1250 yards rushing? I just don't think he's an elite RB. 3.9 yards/carry on his career and doesn't catch the ball all that well. He's nice. He might be slightly above average starting RB, but I don't think he's that good. I'm a little worried that he's had some bad injuries in his career, and he's had a heavy workload in his three years in the NFL.

b bulldog
03-07-2007, 09:10 PM
His Oline really wasn't very good in Buffalo and neither was the QB. I think he will be better than average, a 1200 yard back per season if he was put on the Packers.

RashanGary
03-07-2007, 09:14 PM
He looked better than 1200 yards to me. There are only a couple backs in the league right now better than McGahee IMO.

Everytime I watch him he looks so explosive, fast and effective. That oline mgiht be the worste in the league and Losman sucks equally as bad. He's better than the 1,200 he's been putting up. On a decent team he's a 1,500 back IMO.

I agree bulldog. If you can talk Rosenfart into taking a reasonable deal, he is a legit playmaker added. If Rosenfart wants a Nate Clements deal then I would stay out of this discussion.