PDA

View Full Version : IF JAVON IS TRADED...........................

Bretsky
04-25-2006, 11:04 PM
I've been a fully AJ Hawk Supporter for the past four months and still consider him to be the best pick for the Green Bay Packers if they don't have a chance for Reggie Bush.

That being said, if Javon Walker is traded to Denver for a high 2nd, does it make more sense for TT to give stronger consideration to Vernon Davis, knowing that our receiving core has been weakened.

JS ran an interesting article today basically saying as far as measurables and talent go, Venon Davis is hands down the best TE to come out of college. Then they compared his numbers with all the best TE's out there. On paper he seems like a gem.

We could use the 2nd's to then draft the best LB and the best OG.

MJZiggy
04-25-2006, 11:07 PM
Yes.

Deputy Nutz
04-25-2006, 11:08 PM
I am not sold on Davis being the next greatest thing since sliced bread. Right now he has the measurables, but there is still a little bit of a bust risk with him. Maybe I am throwing the Winslow situation on his shoulders, but I will be honest Davis doesn't wow me on film. Go and watch a couple of UCLA games and you will be more impressed with Lewis. Does that mean anything? I don't know.

Bretsky
04-25-2006, 11:11 PM
I am not sold on Davis being the next greatest thing since sliced bread. Right now he has the measurables, but there is still a little bit of a bust risk with him. Maybe I am throwing the Winslow situation on his shoulders, but I will be honest Davis doesn't wow me on film. Go and watch a couple of UCLA games and you will be more impressed with Lewis. Does that mean anything? I don't know.

Honestly I didn't know of Davis much til I saw this ESPN promoted All Star challenge among college stars. Davis was in the receiving group and outperformed pretty much every WR in WR drills except Chad Jackson. He was a natural in my view.

The other guy that really stuck out was that Memphis kicker; I think Steve Gastrowski or something like that. He boomed a 49 yard field goal that cleared by 15 yards and had a rocket for a leg.

GBRulz
04-25-2006, 11:12 PM
I don't like the idea of Walker being traded without us getting Leilie in return.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-25-2006, 11:14 PM
Davis looks like a workout wonder, and nothing more; you know one of those players who look like Tarzan, plays like Jane. He was only a 2 year starter and played at MD. Sure, mistakes do happen but there gotta be some weakness in Davis for why he ended up a MD instead of a powerhouse like USC, Maimi, Michigan, or OSU.

I think drafting Huff is the best thing to do.

RashanGary
04-25-2006, 11:19 PM
Davis does things that I've never seen a pass catcher do. He's physically dominate and has the will to succeed. Everything else you can teach.

Joemailman
04-25-2006, 11:20 PM
I kind of agree with Nutz. Take the best defensive player in the 1st round, and get Lewis and maybe Davin Joseph in the 2nd round. Too many TE's drafted in the 1st round have been disappointments. Lewis is one of those real athletic guys who is still learning because he focused more on basketball in high school.

Tight End | Senior | U.C.L.A. Marcedes Lewis
Height: 6-6 3/8 | Weight: 261 | 40-Time: 4.84

Official Bio

Strengths:
Has excellent size with long arms and the frame to easily add more weight...A superb athlete with good quickness and leaping ability...Has outstanding hands and can adjust to the poorly thrown ball...Gives great effort as a blocker and does a better job there than he is given credit for...Has solid speed and can get down the middle and stretch the seam...Very productive and was the top pass catching threat on his team...Still developing and really has a lot of upside and potential.

Weaknesses:
Does not have elite timed speed...Could stand to add some weight and looks frail on the field due to his lanky build...Lacks explosiveness and may have trouble separating at the next level...Needs to hit the weights and get stronger...Still relatively raw as he devoted a lot of attention to basketball in high school...Needs to refine his technique and work on mastering the nuances of the position.

Notes:
Was a part of the famed 2002 Long Beach Poly high school class that also included Winston Justice (USC), Darnell Bing (USC), Hershel Dennis (USC), and Manuel Wright (Miami Dolphins)...Is like a wide receiver trapped in a tight ends body...Not yet a finished product but could be the type of weapon in the passing game that pro teams are always falling all over themselves to add these days.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-25-2006, 11:20 PM
Davis does things that I've never seen a pass catcher do. He's physically dominate and has the will to succeed. Everything else you can teach.

I saw Kellen Winslow do the same thing in college.

Rivers Rutherford
04-25-2006, 11:24 PM
I like Vernon Davis and his potential--but not at #5 and not ahead of the best defensive player in the draft in A.J. Hawk. Someone will grab him high, maybe even trade up to do so thinking they got themselves an Antonio Gates, but they's a gonna be wrong.

I say sucker the 'Niners out of a 4th or 5th or even 6th round pick to flop spots with GB. Likely? No, but what the hell I like the sound of a couple early picks on day 2 in round 4.

CyclonePackFan
04-25-2006, 11:24 PM
I'm down with getting Lewis. When we won the Bowl we did it with two TEs, Chmura, who could catch but was a great blocker, and Jackson, who was an OK blocker but had great hands. This would give us the same sort of setup, with Lewis, the blocker, and Franks, the receiver.

I'm so happy right now...

HarveyWallbangers
04-25-2006, 11:25 PM
"Davis does things that I've never seen a pass catcher do."

I'd say a vast overstatement.

Bretsky
04-25-2006, 11:26 PM
I kind of agree with Nutz. Take the best defensive player in the 1st round, and get Lewis and maybe Davin Joseph in the 2nd round. Too many TE's drafted in the 1st round have been disappointments. Lewis is one of those real athletic guys who is still learning because he focused more on basketball in high school.

Tight End | Senior | U.C.L.A. Marcedes Lewis
Height: 6-6 3/8 | Weight: 261 | 40-Time: 4.84

Official Bio

Strengths:
Has excellent size with long arms and the frame to easily add more weight...A superb athlete with good quickness and leaping ability...Has outstanding hands and can adjust to the poorly thrown ball...Gives great effort as a blocker and does a better job there than he is given credit for...Has solid speed and can get down the middle and stretch the seam...Very productive and was the top pass catching threat on his team...Still developing and really has a lot of upside and potential.

Weaknesses:
Does not have elite timed speed...Could stand to add some weight and looks frail on the field due to his lanky build...Lacks explosiveness and may have trouble separating at the next level...Needs to hit the weights and get stronger...Still relatively raw as he devoted a lot of attention to basketball in high school...Needs to refine his technique and work on mastering the nuances of the position.

Notes:
Was a part of the famed 2002 Long Beach Poly high school class that also included Winston Justice (USC), Darnell Bing (USC), Hershel Dennis (USC), and Manuel Wright (Miami Dolphins)...Is like a wide receiver trapped in a tight ends body...Not yet a finished product but could be the type of weapon in the passing game that pro teams are always falling all over themselves to add these days.

I see that speed and question whether he adds much that we don't already have. I think either you love Davis and go with him, or go Hawk, and a LB,OG, or CB in round 2.

If you draft Davis then you go with the best LB in round 2.

HarveyWallbangers
04-25-2006, 11:27 PM
Everybody talks about how we can get a LB later, but the LBs we get later aren't near the sure thing as Hawk is. Plus, this is a great group of TEs. You want guys that produced in college, you have Byrd and Lewis. You want guys with measurables, you have Pope and Scheffler. You want good all-around TEs, you have Fasano and Klopfenstein. You want a good H-Back type, you have Daniels and Thomas. This is a good TE class.

jack's smirking revenge
04-25-2006, 11:27 PM
"4. If the Packers trade WR Javon Walker to the Broncos at the No. 15 spot, then either Holmes or Chad Jackson should fall to a team like Tampa Bay down at No. 23. If the Eagles win the bidding war for Walker, then Denver might have their pick of the receivers."
(from NFL.com)

I like how the press is starting to characterize this as a bidding war. Only increases Walker's value. Come draft day, this could be VERY interesting.

tyler

Deputy Nutz
04-25-2006, 11:35 PM
Simple, the Packers don't need an actual tight end, they do need a playmaker on offense. Without Walker and questions surrounding Green and his injury, this team has no certifiable playmaker on offense. So in this sense I agree that Davis is a serious consideration at this point.

I am sold on Hawk, and I don't think Davis is the football player that his measurables seem to indicate.

I think that if Walker is traded or retires, This team is going to have problems moving the ball, because we know that it is hard to count on rookies to contribute right away, especially recievers.

jack's smirking revenge
04-25-2006, 11:41 PM
Then again, Brett moved the ball pretty well last year when Driver was virtually our only receiver. The man has a magic way of putting the ball in the hands of his receivers (and, well, cornerbacks too). I just have a feeling that Gardner and Boerigter will turn out to be better than we all expect. They're vets that have had pretty good seasons, not rookies plucked out of NFLE.

tyler

CyclonePackFan
04-25-2006, 11:58 PM
Then again, Brett moved the ball pretty well last year when Driver was virtually our only receiver. The man has a magic way of putting the ball in the hands of his receivers (and, well, cornerbacks too). I just have a feeling that Gardner and Boerigter will turn out to be better than we all expect. They're vets that have had pretty good seasons, not rookies plucked out of NFLE.

tyler

Speaking of which, we'll have a couple of those too (rookies plucked out of NFLE). Chad Lucas is sounding pretty good.

RashanGary
04-26-2006, 12:05 AM
The one position that the Packers probably should not draft is TE. Davis is not a true TE so I would give him strong consideration as a pass catcher who can double as a TE from time to time.

Mercedes Lewis is just Like Bubba. He's slow, tall, good hands and reliable.

Partial
04-26-2006, 12:19 AM

I saw Kellen Winslow do the same thing in college.

I saw many, many guys do this. You just never saw their highlight films, NickCollins. Lewis looks much better on film that this dude. That should tell the story right there.

Partial
04-26-2006, 12:20 AM
Everybody talks about how we can get a LB later, but the LBs we get later aren't near the sure thing as Hawk is. Plus, this is a great group of TEs. You want guys that produced in college, you have Byrd and Lewis. You want guys with measurables, you have Pope and Scheffler. You want good all-around TEs, you have Fasano and Klopfenstein. You want a good H-Back type, you have Daniels and Thomas. This is a good TE class.

Well put. I think the difference between Hawk and say Dqwell Jackson or any linebacker we could get in the second is greater than the difference between Lewis and Davis.

RashanGary
04-26-2006, 12:21 AM
Acctually there isn't a player in the NFL who's ever had the size/speed/strength combination that Davis has so no you've never seen anyone ever do what he does because it's never happened on the NFL fooball practice field or game field. Kellen Winslow was not as explosive as Davis. Nobody is. Nobody has been.

Partial
04-26-2006, 12:23 AM
slow?!? He is just as fast as Vernon Davis. He did not clock well at the combine. Neither did Brian Calhoun. Would you Calhoun slow?

Good lord, the more of your posts I read the less football I believe you watch. Davis had an exceptionally fast 40 and plays much, much slower. Lewis ran a slow 40 and plays much, much faster. I would say they both play the same speed in game situation, where Lewis has better numbers, looks more fluid, and is an equally impressive athlete

RashanGary
04-26-2006, 12:24 AM
DeMeco Ryans is a similar player. Hawk is above him by quite a bit but I don't really compare TE to TE or LB to LB. I compare Hawk vs Davis and Davis is the better athlete.

Partial
04-26-2006, 12:25 AM
Acctually there isn't a player in the NFL who's ever had the size/speed/strength combination that Davis has so no you've never seen anyone ever do what he does because it's never happened on the NFL fooball practice field or game field. Kellen Winslow was not as explosive as Davis. Nobody is. Nobody has been.

are you kidding me? This kid is a much slower, smaller shouldered TO at best(with an eighth of the talent). This is every tight end that has been drafted at the top ever. You are kidding yourself if you don't think there are 5-6 of this guy in the league right now. David Martin is this guy. Good lord, he had a fast 40 time. How many games have you watched of him? If it's less than 3 you have no credibility. My guess is you are orgasming over the stupid youtube video.

Jesus H, watch some game footage.

Partial
04-26-2006, 12:26 AM
DeMeco Ryans is a similar player. Hawk is above him by quite a bit but I don't really compare TE to TE or LB to LB. I compare Hawk vs Davis and Davis is the better athlete.

I wouldn't even say that. Davis is a faster runner. Hawk was probably just as good on every other drill.

You're a measurable machine. Did you order the combine on Pay per view?

How many games have you seen davis play? how many games have you seen lewis, pope or byrd play?

RashanGary
04-26-2006, 12:28 AM
Acctually Davis is bigger, faster, stronger than TO or Sterling Sharpe or anyone you can think of. Davis is the most physically gifted pass catcher in the last 5 drafts. The only player with more physical upside was Randy Moss.

RashanGary
04-26-2006, 12:30 AM
I've seen Davis throw DB's in a way that I didn't even think was possible. After he bitch slapped the first guy he would blaze away from the next 3 or 4 because he is not only faster than the rest of the players on the field but more explosive in his short burst and change of direction.

No you've never seen a player like Davis. I gaurantee that.

Partial
04-26-2006, 12:31 AM
He *might* have better measureables.

I'll tell you what. When Matt Jones makes a pro bowl you call me up. If he was so physically dominant, why did he not dominate college games?

how many times have you seen him play?

why do you think he is such a good athlete?

you're ignoring important questions.

Partial
04-26-2006, 12:33 AM
I've seen Davis throw DB's in a way that I didn't even think was possible. After he bitch slapped the first guy he would blaze away from the next 3 or 4 because he is not only faster than the rest of the players on the field but more explosive in his short burst and change of direction.

No you've never seen a player like Davis. I gaurantee that.

i've seen 20 in the NFL last year. I am glad you're referencing the one play on that youtube video. You have yet to say how many times you've seen him play in real games.

a highlight film is just that.

RashanGary
04-26-2006, 12:34 AM
Bringing up Lewis is a complete joke. Davis and Lewis arn't even in the same page let alone paragraph or sentence. Davis is the most explosive pass catcher who has every played his position and Lewis is an average 1st round talent.

There are about 20 Hawks running around the NFL right now. There are zero Davis'. I'd take the dominate athlete over the average athete every time. Thompson made it pretty clear that he has no intention to take the safe pick.

Partial
04-26-2006, 12:37 AM
Bringing up Lewis is a complete joke. Davis and Lewis arn't even in the same page let alone paragraph or sentence. Davis is the most explosive pass catcher who has every played his position and Lewis is an average 1st round talent.

There are about 20 Hawks running around the NFL right now. There are zero Davis'. I'd take the dominate athlete over the average athete ever time. Thompson made it pretty clear that he has no intention to take the safe pick.

HOW MANY TIMES HAVE YOU SEEN HIM PLAY?

WHAT MAKES YOU SO SURE HE IS DOMINANT?

HOW IS HE A BETTER "ATHLETE" THEN LEWIS?

IS IT THE FACT HE IS SHORTER, AND SMALLER?

CAN YOU POST ALL THEIR EXACT MEASUREMENTS FROM THE COMBINE?

I THINK YOU'RE FULL OF SHIT AND HAVE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING ON THIS GUY, READ HIS 40 TIME AND WERE BLOWN AWAY. I THINK THATS A LOAD OF SHIT. MATT JONES WAS A FREAKISH ATHLETE AND HE LOOKS LOST. IF YOU READ ANYTING SCOUTS WRITE, THEY SAY HE IS NOT VERY NATURAL AT ALL. THEY SAY HE IS AN ATHLETE TRYING TO CUT IT AS A FOOTBALL PLAYER.

OH, AND HOW MANY TIMES HAVE YOU SEEN HIM PLAY?

HOW MANY TIMES HAVE YOU SEEN LEWIS PLAY?

HOW MANY TIMES HAVE YOU SEEN DAVIS PLAY?

RashanGary
04-26-2006, 12:45 AM
I've seen all the tape on Davis that is available as well as all the tape of Lewis. You can go to Foxsports.com for clips. youtube. ESPN has some video archive...ect.....

I've never seen Lewis do anything remotely dominate. He reaches up and catches the ball. He cannot get separation. He cannot break tackles. He cannot outrun DB's to the endzone.

I've seen Davis throw DB's 5 feet across the field and break 3 would be tacklers at one time. I've seen him outrun safteys and DB's on his way to the endzone and he put up ACC leading numbers with a crappy QB throwing him the ball.

There is not one athlete in the NFL that can do what Davis does. It is not physically possible. I've never seen a player as dominate after the catch.

Also, Davis played basketball and football his whole life and has incredible balance and body control to bring in the tough catch. His hands are noted as one of his strengths.

RashanGary
04-26-2006, 12:58 AM
http://ravens.scout.com/2/45711.html

Terrell Owens
Height: 6'2"
Weight: 225
40 YD Dash: 4.5

Vernon Davis
Height: 6'3"
Weight: 255
40 YD Dash: 4.38
Bench Press: 33
Vertical Jump: 42"

Kellen Winslow
Height: 6'3"
Weight: 247
40 yd dash: 4.5
Bench Reps: 24
Vertical Jump: 37"

No there has never been a player who is as physically dominate as Davis. Sure there are guys who are weaker, slower and less explosive who have great NFL careers. Sure there are top 6 prospects who pale in comparison. The fact is Davis makes great NFL players look like pussy's. You cannot teach a player to throw would be tackler's 5 feet. You cannot teach a player to jump 42" in the air to catch a ball. You cannot teach a player to outrun the entire defense to score 6. You cannot teach what Davis brings and Thompson has made it clear he's not going to settle for the safe pick. Thompson says "If you think I'm going to take the safe pick YOU DON'T KNOW ME VERY WELL" Welcome to the wide world of sports. Athletes go before effort.

RashanGary
04-26-2006, 01:17 AM
Yeah..He's just like Winslow and T.O. except that T.O. and Winslow are exactly alike and Davis makes them look like friggin pussys

HarveyWallbangers
04-26-2006, 08:13 AM
Davis might be as fast as any TE that has come out, but there is a lot more to the position than running fast (catching, blocking, route running, and hands). Hawk was faster than average, scored incredibly well in the other drills, and has shown the intangibles to succeed at the highest level. He does everything well. Plus, he's a born leader, has a tough-nosed attitude, anticipates well, and is a playmaker. Both are great prospects, but if you ask me if I'd rather have Hawk and Leonard Pope or Davis and Thomas Howard, I'd take Hawk and Pope. Actually, a better question to ask is whether you'd rather have Hawk, Davin Joseph, and Anthony Fasano or Davis, Howard, and Rob Sims? This team needs OLB and OG in a bad way, and there's good value in the first round (Hawk) and the 2nd round (Joseph) at those positions.

Tarlam!
04-26-2006, 08:22 AM
If Davis lines up as TE, he'll be one of two on the play. This guy is too good to become a blocker, Harv.

Deputy Nutz
04-26-2006, 08:41 AM
Befor the combine, Lewis and Davis were pretty much running neck in neck for the first tight end position. Both are legitimate football players. Davis had a really great combine, and Lewis faltered. If Lewis ran, say a 4.5 or even a 4.6 I think he would also be considered a top 10 talent.

Davis had a great combine, but guess what? My take on the college combine and pro day work outs is that they are becoming track meets. These guys take 2 months and go to Arizona or Florida and prepare strictly for the "events" at the combine. You most likely will not see Davis run anything near a 4.36 on the football field.

The thing that I respect about AJ Hawk is that he is still in school trying to get his degree, and still working out at the Buckeye facilities. He wasn't getting prepped for the combine for 8 hours a day. He would be lucky if he worked out 2 or 3 hours a day. The amazing thing is, that Hawk weighed 248 pounds at the combine, 5 less than Davis, and he still had the fastest short shuttle of any player there. It was also the second fastest in the last decade for front seven players.

You ask me to take Davis or Hawk heads up? Hawk beats Davis like a rented mule. Davis couldn't come close to blocking Hawk, and it would be hilarous to see Davis try to get past the 5 yard jam of Hawk. Simply put, Hawk is the better football player now, and 20 years from now when he will be inducted into the NFL Hall of Fame.

HarveyWallbangers
04-26-2006, 08:50 AM
I think Leonard Pope gets short-change a bit. This dude is 6'7" 256, has long arms, is a decent blocker, and ran a 4.62 40. We haven't seen many TEs with his measurables either.

Strengths:
Has outstanding size and a large frame with long arms...Is very athletic...Excellent receiver with great hands...Can stretch a defense vertically...Can run after the catch a little...Tremendous leaper with great ball skills...Has good body control and will make the difficult catch...Knows how to use his size and has a knack for getting open...Gets off the line well and runs good routes...Has a lot of upside.

Weaknesses:
Can do a better job as a blocker but has the tools to improve in that area...Has good speed but it is not in the elite category...Needs some technique work...Can be more physical and show more of a mean streak, especially as a blocker...Got into some trouble as a youngster but by all accounts he turned himself around.

Notes:
Has a career average of 18.1 yards per catch...A rare physical specimen who is a terror to match up against and can be a major force in the passing game...Just the type of dynamic weapon the pros are looking for in the position these days.

HarveyWallbangers
04-26-2006, 09:00 AM
Marcedes Lewis and Dominique Byrd have tremendous hands and were productive in college. Anthony Fasano has been compared to Mark Bavaro. Joe Klopfenstein and Tony Scheffler are very good all-around athletes. This is a great draft for TEs.

Joe Klopfenstein

Height: 6-5 3/4 | Weight: 255 | 40-Time: 4.62

Strengths: Is tall and shows the frame to improve his bulk. He has very good speed for the position. He will drive defenders off the LOS and shows the ability to occasionally get over the top. He is an outstanding route runner. Shows savvy versus zone and runs crisp routes. Can separate from man-coverage and will generate some mismatches vs. slower LB's. His hands are outstanding. He can catch on the run, away from his frame and over his head. He also has a knack for getting open in the red zone and is a reliable target in clutch situations. He has long arms and a great wingspan. Shows impressive leaping ability (38-inch vertical). Great instincts in the red zone. He works hard and is technically sound as a blocker. More of a position and wall-off type who will give a good effort in trying to sustain. A hard working, high character player. A blue-collar type who keeps improving with more experience. Is durable and tough. The type of intelligent, tough, aggressive player an NFL team should want on its roster.

Weaknesses: Needs to continue to improve his bulk. A bit high-cut and lacks lower body strength. Plays with a narrow base as a blocker. Works hard and has good technique, but he lacks the power and explosiveness to jar defenders. He also gets in trouble when he's playing too erect in the phone booth. Does not show the ability to consistently create a new LOS as a run blocker. Needs to be in very good position to complete his assignment as a blocker. He has good top-end speed but is a long-strider who lacks quick-twitch athleticism and takes a little too long to get to top-speed. He's not overly elusive after the catch, either.

Notes: From a measurables standpoint this guy has what teams are looking for. May never rank amongst the elite tight ends in the league but could fall into that next tier. Should become a tremendous weapon in the passing game at the pro level.

Tony Scheffler

Height: 6-5 3/8 | Weight: 264 | 40-Time: 4.54

Strengths: Is a fine athlete. Possesses good height and the frame to improve his bulk. Is quick and fluid. Has above average speed and shows the ability to get down the seam as a receiver. Is instinctive and knows how to find soft spots in zone coverage. Shows impressive hand-eye coordination. A reliable target in the middle of the field. Has great production as a receiver. Knows how to read coverages. Is competitive and intelligent. Has good mobility and takes good angles as a blocker in space. A versatile athlete; also a starter on the school's baseball team.

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal bulk and possesses marginal strength. Plays with a narrow base and gets pushed around too often. Does not match up as an in-line blocker and needs to be on the move in order to be effective. He struggles to sustain his blocks even after locking on. Will have some trouble getting off the LOS vs. press coverage in the NFL.

Overall: He was one of the most productive pass-catching tight ends in college football as a senior in 2005, when he finished with 57 receptions for 670 yards and nine touchdowns. Scheffler was also the starting left fielder for Western Michigan's baseball team. Scheffler is one of the most underrated prospects in the 2006 draft class.

Notes: Was also a standout on the Bronco baseball team where he was a career .293 hitter as an outfielder. It will be interesting to see how he develops once he focuses all of his attention on the gridiron. Basically, a one-dimensional receiving talent right now but really has some intriguing physical tools to work with.

Partial
04-26-2006, 10:09 AM
Pope has outrageous measureables and that height and athleticism you crave from a tight end (also a basketball player). If he was there in the third i'd think he'd be a darn good pick.

Collins, notice everyone and their mother thinks you're overhyping this dude. You said it yourself a week ago that you were overhyping him. Now you're back on his bandwagon. I don't get it man.

Sparkey
04-26-2006, 10:54 AM
Yeah..He's just like Winslow and T.O. except that T.O. and Winslow are exactly alike and Davis makes them look like friggin pussys

I have yet too see Davis play against NFL quality linebackers and safeties so saying he is like TO is an extreme stretch.

BTW, what good is Davis if we do not have a QB to get him the ball ? ?

See, the way I look at it, when you compare impact players at positions, receivers (te, wr, etc) are not as important or can make as big of an impact on a game as other positions because they are secondary positions.

What I mean by that is that until the QB actually throws the ball into their hands they can not make a significant impact on a game. Where as LB and DE are impact positions that do not rely on another player to bring them into the play.

swede
04-26-2006, 11:32 AM
I am not surprised to hear people say that Vernon Davis could be great. I am shocked to hear anyone sat that he will be great. Great NFL athletes need the measurables, but measurables don't make a guy a player.

I saw some of the video and what I saw didn't make me think that the guy played fast, even though he might be fast.

This draft is too important to screw up. Defense is too important to leave it all to second tier players.

AJ Hawk @ #5.

Partial
04-26-2006, 11:38 AM
great players don't even need the measurables. Look at Stevie Smith. He's a wee man of my height but he is SICK

Partial
04-26-2006, 11:39 AM
Comparing Vernon Davis to a top 5 receiver in the NFL before he played a snap if the most outrageous thing i've ever heard.

No Mo Moss
04-26-2006, 01:08 PM
If we can get 2 2nds for Walker (me doing cartwheels) Then I think you take AJ Hawk 1st, TE Pope 2nd, Tamba HAli 2nd, David Joeseph 2nd. Then Brian Calhoun in the 3rd and Williams WR in the fourth, now that would be getting it done. :shock:

Partial
04-26-2006, 01:17 PM
Good god that would be getting it done. Imagine if we had the 37th, 38th, and then the 61st.

I would say land Hawk in the first for sure. I would trade down from the 37th to around the 47th and get an extra third. With that, I would take whoever Abdul Hodge or Dqwell Jackson. With the 38th, ideally I could trade down 10 spots approximately and still get Davin Joseph. This seems to be a little hazy, but lets say it happened and we added an extra third.

With the 61st pick, i'd add Mercedes Lewis if he was available, but if not then i'd look at the best available wideout or Leonard Pope.

With our three thirds, I would add Calhoun with the first of the thirds. Eslinger with the second. Brandon Williams with the third.

First day of the draft:
AJ Hawk
Abdul Hodge
Davin Joseph
Marcedes Lewis/Leonard Pope
Brian Calhoun
Greg Eslinger
Brandon Williams

yes, yes, I realize this will never happen. It's the pipe dream of pipe dreams. It would be quite amazing though. That my friends would be the draft that puts us back on the map and adds 4 starters and quality backups.

Guiness
04-26-2006, 02:09 PM
You ask me to take Davis or Hawk heads up? Hawk beats Davis like a rented mule. Davis couldn't come close to blocking Hawk, and it would be hilarous to see Davis try to get past the 5 yard jam of Hawk. Simply put, Hawk is the better football player now, and 20 years from now when he will be inducted into the NFL Hall of Fame.

I understand your feelings on this, but the honest truth is that you absolutely don't know that.

The draft is a crap shoot, and we all know it. Take your best guess with the info you have, and run with it. Priest Holmes came into the league, undrafted in what, '95? How long could you have spouted off about how much better Ki-Jana's college production was than a 'second-tier' back like Holmes?

Harlan Huckleby
04-26-2006, 02:22 PM
I am not surprised to hear people say that Vernon Davis could be great. I am shocked to hear anyone sat that he will be great. Great NFL athletes need the measurables, but measurables don't make a guy a player.

Well, along this same theme, I find the people so sure that Mario Williams will be a bust to be laughable. Do you really think you are so much smarter than the 20 teams of professional analysts who rate him among the very top prospects in the country? They obsess over hundreds of hours of film of his college play.

I know we are just here to bullshit and throw-out opinions. Nothing wrong with saying Hawk is a sure thing, or Young is gonna suck, or whatever. Just keep in mind that it is all just speculation, people shouldn't take their own opinions too seriously.