PDA

View Full Version : Henderson released

Brando19
03-07-2007, 05:32 PM
The Packers released veteran fullback William Henderson on Wednesday, leaving Brett Favre as the only member of the 1996 Super Bowl championship team still playing for the team.

Henderson, 36, spent much of last season on the bench behind blocking back Brandon Miree.

"We are releasing William at this point so he can pursue other opportunities within the National Football League," Packers general manager Ted Thompson said in a statement. "It is difficult to part with a high-character individual like William. He has been an influential person on several outstanding Packers teams over his career. He always will be considered a Packer."

"It was an honor to be associated with the Packers," Henderson said in the statement. "It is humbling to leave such a great organization, but I will always be grateful for my time in Green Bay."

Henderson, a 6-foot-1, 252-pound veteran out of North Carolina, played in 188 Packers games, more than all but three players in team history -- Favre, Bart Starr and Ray Nitschke.

Used primarily as a lead blocker, he caught 320 passes for 2,409 yards and 14 touchdowns, and rushed for 426 yards on 112 carries with five touchdowns. He also played a significant role on special teams.

Henderson considered signing with the division rival Minnesota Vikings before last season, but chose to return for a 12th season in Green Bay. He spent much of last season on the bench after Miree, signed to the Packers' practice squad after being waived by the Broncos, was promoted to the active roster in Week 4 and began taking most of the offensive snaps at fullback.

BF4MVP
03-07-2007, 05:36 PM
Happy trails :(

esoxx
03-07-2007, 05:39 PM
So long Big Stiffee

Lurker64
03-07-2007, 05:39 PM
Sad to see him go, I can't see not loving the man. I hope he ends up on broadcasting or with the organization as soon as possible.

packinpatland
03-07-2007, 05:49 PM
Class. Unsurpassed Class.

imscott72
03-07-2007, 06:04 PM
Class. Unsurpassed Class.

Absolutely...

Patler
03-07-2007, 07:31 PM
Henderson, ... played in 188 Packers games, more than all but three players in team history -- Favre, Bart Starr and Ray Nitschke.

With all the players that have been in GB for lengthy careers, it really says something about Henderson to be #4 on the all time list. I wonder what back has the next highest total.

Merlin
03-07-2007, 07:33 PM
I know I will be watching a lot of Houston games routing for Ahman. If Henderson signs with another team, I will root for him also. I would like the Packers to offer him a job in the personell department because he has what every NFL player should have, class.

Pacopete4
03-07-2007, 07:35 PM
i hope he catches on somewhere and shoves it right down our throats whether its on special teams or him hurdling some dude to put his shoulder down to get in the end zone.. u dont release guys like this. HE COSTS US NOTHING... hes a vet leader.. hes what a young team needs.. TT you are a true dumbass.. i hate u

retailguy
03-07-2007, 07:37 PM
TT you are a true dumbass.. i hate u

Careful. This brand of disloyalty will not be tolerated around here! Don't you know that EVERYONE thinks he is GOD. If EVERYONE thinks it, therefore, it MUST BE TRUE.

One more outburst like that and I'll have no other option but to ban you and register this name on the nearest bears forum.

Merlin
03-07-2007, 07:39 PM
TT you are a true dumbass.. i hate u

Careful. This brand of disloyalty will not be tolerated around here! Don't you know that EVERYONE thinks he is GOD. If EVERYONE thinks it, therefore, it MUST BE TRUE.

One more outburst like that and I'll have no other option but to ban you and register this name on the nearest bears forum.

Although I know this is sarcasim, isn't that the way things are anyway for real???

TT is a moron and no, you don't cut a guy who costs you nothing but brings leadership and class and GOOD PLAY to the organization.

Pacopete4
03-07-2007, 08:20 PM
it doesnt add up.. ok, he was a lesser player than what he used to be. But is not a good back up?.. is he not a good player to either suit up for special teams reasons or just to have in the locker room for vet leadership? I mean gosh dangit TT.. get real.. damnit i hate u..

funny thing is.. I liked for the most part what TT was doing so far until this.. yes questionable things but still getting us outta debt and getting us winning again.. now hes doing fucking nothing and we're not gonna get any better

retailguy
03-07-2007, 08:23 PM
now hes doing fucking nothing and we're not gonna get any better

This is because we're not rebuilding.

Patler
You guys need to read CC's article.

Henderson should have had the good sense to retire. He no longer moves linebackers when he blocks, and he is no longer an effective ST player. No disrespect, I loved the guy. But age catches up to everyone, and it has hit Henderson extremely hard the last two seasons.

esoxx
it doesnt add up.. ok, he was a lesser player than what he used to be. But is not a good back up?.. is he not a good player to either suit up for special teams reasons or just to have in the locker room for vet leadership?

More cap room.

He's not going to pay a backup FB a vet min price. It's a cold business decision that may have ancillary negative impact not commensurate with the slight cap room created.

retailguy
03-07-2007, 08:26 PM

Henderson should have had the good sense to retire. He no longer moves linebackers when he blocks, and he is no longer an effective ST player. No disrespect, I loved the guy. But age catches up to everyone, and it has hit Henderson extremely hard the last two seasons.

I did read the article Patler. I'm just tired of Christl sitting on the fence till something happens.

This article was about SELLING newspapers.

Henderson needs to retire. We all know that. But, if Cliffy was a genius this should have been written a month ago.

Patler
03-07-2007, 08:30 PM
But is not a good back up?.. is he not a good player to either suit up for special teams reasons or just to have in the locker room for vet leadership?

Henderson literally can't run anymore. That's why he was taken off ST.
No, he is not a good backup anymore.
No, he is not good for ST anymore.

...and, a player who can no longer contribute on the field also tends to lose his ability to lead in the room. I'm not talking about a starter who becomes a reserve. That player still can command respect. But a player who will contribute nothing on the field loses the respect of todays young athletes. I've seen it time and time again.

Patler
03-07-2007, 08:36 PM

I did read the article Patler. I'm just tired of Christl sitting on the fence till something happens.

This article was about SELLING newspapers.

Henderson needs to retire. We all know that. But, if Cliffy was a genius this should have been written a month ago.

I agree about CC, I wasn't posing him as a genius. My comment was directed to those who seem to think it is so awful that Henderson was released. No, it wasn't awful. It was right, and CC's article explains the obvious that some here seem to be missing.

The Packers did the honorable thing. They advised Henderson in advance. He had an opportunity to say, "No, don't release me. I'll announce my retirement while still on the roster." He didn't. He should have.

Kiwon
03-07-2007, 09:35 PM
Good player, good man....hopefully he will return to Packerland in one capacity or another very soon.

I can't fault the guy for wanting to earn another $200,000 or so for playing a game he's played for the past 30 years. More power to him! Old guys rock! 8)

Patler
03-07-2007, 09:55 PM
I can't fault the guy for wanting to earn another $200,000 or so for playing a game he's played for the past 30 years. More power to him! Old guys rock! 8)

"...another $200,000 or so...."? Try another $820,000. That is the minimum salary for a player with Henderson's years in the league.

Kiwon
03-07-2007, 10:46 PM
I wasn't going for accuracy. $200.000 was just a representative figure. I have no idea what the guaranteed minimum of a vet would be. The point is that he could possibly make a lot more money during one football season than he probably will in several years of working other jobs.

$800,000 or $200,000 is still well above the per capita of $42,000 in the US.

MJZiggy
03-07-2007, 11:09 PM
But if he goes into broadcasting (and the likelihood is high), he's not gonna be applying for welfare anytime soon either.

oregonpackfan
03-07-2007, 11:25 PM
George Harrison of the Beatles had a song entitled "All things must pass."

The era of William Henderson as the Packers fullback has passed.

He was the consummate professional and Green Bay Packer player.

Thanks for everything, William.