PDA

View Full Version : Johnson Signs With Saints

Packnut
03-07-2007, 05:56 PM
NFL network flashing Johnson signed by Saints to a 1 year deal for $2 million.

Packnut
03-07-2007, 05:57 PM
Sorry, Eric Johnson TE.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-07-2007, 06:00 PM
WOW! 1 year 2 mil would have been perfect for us. I wasn’t to excited about the possibility of us signing him before because I thought he would want a long term deal. This would have been great for us for one year.

Charles Woodson
03-07-2007, 06:03 PM
So TT... who have YOU signed? oh yea nobody. Come on TT your wallets bulging and you need to make a move

esoxx
03-07-2007, 06:12 PM
Low risk move.

But I'm comfortable with the Franks/Lee/Alcorn triumvirate. :lol:

Lurker64
03-07-2007, 06:16 PM
So TT... who have YOU signed? oh yea nobody. Come on TT your wallets bulging and you need to make a move

The best thing about Free Agency is that since it became a race, it's much more exciting to watch.

Wait...

Fritz
03-07-2007, 07:09 PM
It's not Eric Johnson, it's "the oft-injured" Eric Johnson. He's a David Martin type.

Bretsky
03-07-2007, 07:27 PM
NFL network flashing Johnson signed by Saints to a 1 year deal for $2 million.

He didn't really sing for that, did he ? Gosh that low deal makes me we could've actually had a shot at a signing by March 7th.

Bretsky
03-07-2007, 07:28 PM
It's not Eric Johnson, it's "the oft-injured" Eric Johnson. He's a David Martin type.

More talent
Better Blocker

When healthy he's just flat out a better football player than David Martin

retailguy
03-07-2007, 07:29 PM
Low risk move.

But I'm comfortable with the Franks/Lee/Alcorn triumvirate. :lol:

We no longer have a running back, so.... this is the LEAST of our problems.

retailguy
03-07-2007, 07:31 PM
He didn't really sing for that, did he ?

Yep. He's singing with BB King tonight on Bourbon street. They've got a new tune called "Move me to San Antonio"...

Merlin
03-07-2007, 07:31 PM
I would like to see what Alcorn can do. He seems to be the right mold but I haven't seen much of him because of his injury last year.

retailguy
03-07-2007, 07:32 PM

More talent
Better Blocker

When healthy he's just flat out a better football player than David Martin

That last happened in 1993, when at 7 he was healthy for the full year Pop Warner season.

esoxx
03-07-2007, 08:12 PM
Let me know the next time David Martin has 82 catches for 825 yards in a season.

Packnut
03-07-2007, 08:12 PM
Really, it's a very smart move by Johnson. He's gonna play for a very good QB, in a very good offense run by an offensive minded coach. IF he stays healthy, he will have a great year then cash in on a HUGE more money than Graham got pay-day.

Packnut
03-07-2007, 08:17 PM

Now your comparing Johnson to Martin? When did Martin EVER have the season Johnson had with 82 catches for over 850 yds? Thanks for the laugh!

Bretsky
03-07-2007, 08:32 PM
Let me know the next time David Martin has 82 catches for 825 yards in a season.

Bingo Bingo Bingo

woodbuck27
03-08-2007, 12:27 PM
WOW! 1 year 2 mil would have been perfect for us. I wasn’t to excited about the possibility of us signing him before because I thought he would want a long term deal. This would have been great for us for one year.

We had (still have) need at TE.

Will someone make a note to call Ted Thompson (maybe YOU MJ) and ensure that he's got someone on that thing called a telephone to get an idea what possible FA's of need could be signed for.

Thank You. :)

pittstang5
03-08-2007, 12:55 PM
TT is going to wait until the draft to "fix" the TE situation. I've got my eyes on Kevin Boss. Maybe in the 4th. But, since his combine debut, he's rising up the boards.

HarveyWallbangers
03-08-2007, 01:03 PM
Eric Johnson would have been nice. McMichael would be nice. The rest of the FA TEs look very pedestrian.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-08-2007, 01:23 PM
TT needs to start signing some of free agents that are left because most of them shouldn't cost that much. Hamlin, Grant, and Griffin are all guys TT should be looking at. They all are young, they all wont cost that much, and they all would be upgrades.

Next year Shockeys a free agent, man I would love to get him hes my favorite TE in the league.

the_idle_threat
03-08-2007, 05:12 PM
Good to hear that somebody signed this lemon so that we would not. The guy has missed more than half of the games in the past 4 seasons due to injury. That's an even worse injury history than Davenpoop had with the Packers.

And 82 catches for 825 yards = a dump-off guy who got a lot of touches because S.F. has no receiving corps to speak of. Johnson is not a speed guy who can stretch the field. We would have been better off with David Martin than this guy. I'm glad we don't have either of them.

CaliforniaCheez
03-08-2007, 05:33 PM

That's not fair to Eric Johnson. His injuries were real. You know season ending type.

Johnson is a talented player and I though a good FA target for the Packers.

I think the Packers have a lot more faith in Donald Lee than we know and much more than David "Jacuzzi beats the cold" Martin.

the_idle_threat
03-12-2007, 04:12 AM
Injuries are injuries.

Again, I urge you to look at the record:

Eric Johnson has missed 39 of 96 games in his career (http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/289090) (40%) due to injury, as opposed to 26 of 96 career games (http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/235112) (27%) missed by David Martin.

Johnson has more career catches and yards than Martin, but then he was the starter (when healthy) each year except 2006. Martin always played behind Bubba and sometimes others, and still he has more career touchdowns than Johnson (9 vs. 7).

Johnson has been described as good catch, no block, whereas Martin developed into a good blocker, as I recall reading in the past couple of years.

All things considered, Johnson vs. Martin is pretty much a wash, with any advantage tipping in favor of Martin because he can block. And because a guy sitting on I.R. is no help at all to the team, I'm glad they're both somebody else's problem.

CaliforniaCheez
03-12-2007, 07:35 AM
Now I've seen him play and I've done well having him in a fantasy football league one year. He is a good player.

During last year I tracked Michael Vick at making 71% of his starts in a career. (Just throwing it out for comparision)

Martin tended to actually disappear when in games. Johnson did not. During 2004 he played every game and averaged over 5 catches a game.

Since then Alex Smith has been QB and immitating Kyle Orton.

Being in the 49'er broadcast area I've seen him play and have been impressed. Now I may be a little biased in favor on him.

The truth may be somewhere between my opinion and the_idle_threat's.

the_idle_threat
03-12-2007, 10:34 AM
I'll admit, I'm probably biased against him because I had him in fantasy football on different occasions early in his career, and he killed me because he couldn't stay in the lineup. :evil: :lol:

MJZiggy
03-12-2007, 10:57 AM
I'm biased against him because he plays for the Saints. The Saints play against the Packers. I'm biased against all their players...one in particular...