PDA

View Full Version : Packers interested in... Donnie Edwards, Griffith, Grant

packers11
03-07-2007, 09:07 PM
sorry if its been reported already, just recapping everyone...

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070307/PKR01/70307176/1989

Packers show interest in Griffith, Grant, and officially release Henderson

Adam Schefter reports today that LB Donnie Edwards is weighing offers from the Packers, Eagles, and Chiefs. He indicated that it most likely is a 2 year deal, and that it appears to be down to those 3 teams

b bulldog
03-07-2007, 09:13 PM
Stay away from Edwards

packers11
03-07-2007, 09:15 PM
i'd rather take a risk on Lavar :) ... Bring him in for a knee check... Also a brain check while were at it...

Bretsky
03-07-2007, 09:16 PM
Stay away from Edwards

Upgrade over Poppinga if he can function there

b bulldog
03-07-2007, 09:17 PM
I think Brady has a future and I like his spped and aggressiveness. Isn't Edwards close to retirement? He has to be in his mid thirties.

SD GB fan
03-07-2007, 09:18 PM
donnie edwards is the best coverage LB on the chargers team. he'd be an upgrade over poppinga i think if he can pick up the scheme.

HarveyWallbangers
03-07-2007, 09:18 PM
Edwards has been a hell of a player, but in a different scheme. He's getting up there in age. I wonder if Mike McCarthy's close friend, Marty Schottenheimer, has anything to do with the interest. I'm not sure what to think about Edwards. Always felt like he might not be a good fit.

Justin Griffith and Deon Grant would be nice.

b bulldog
03-07-2007, 09:19 PM
11 YEAR VET WHO IS 34! Stay with Brady.

Bretsky
03-07-2007, 09:22 PM
Edwards has been a hell of a player, but in a different scheme. He's getting up there in age. I wonder if Mike McCarthy's close friend, Marty Schottenheimer, has anything to do with the interest. I'm not sure what to think about Edwards. Always felt like he might not be a good fit.

Justin Griffith and Deon Grant would be nice.

CAN WE HAVE ALL THREE ???

RashanGary
03-07-2007, 09:29 PM
I'll be really disappointed if we don't get Griffith. I htink he's a perfect fit here. Other than that I want to lock Barnett up long term.

ND72
03-07-2007, 09:44 PM
I think Brady has a future and I like his spped and aggressiveness. Isn't Edwards close to retirement? He has to be in his mid thirties.

His SPEED? are you serious? We must not watch the same Brady Poopinga, cause the guy is the slowest player on the field. His speed, is why I want an upgrade at that position. when Desmond "2 left feet" clark is running past Poop....we're in trouble.

b bulldog
03-07-2007, 09:46 PM
Speed isn't the only thing that gets separation, ever heard of Jerry Rice?

HarveyWallbangers
03-07-2007, 09:47 PM
While I don't think Brady is slow, I definitely don't see him having more than average speed for a LB. I think some people see what they want to see when it comes to Brady Pop. He got better as the year went on. Maybe he'll even be solid starter some day. However, that position can definitely be upgraded. I'm a little worried that Poppinga was old when he left college and is already in his "peak" years.

ND72
03-07-2007, 09:48 PM
You're talking about a WR, not a LB who depends on speed and quickness. WR's can do lots of things to dictate how they do. Poop isn't the answer. He's short term.

b bulldog
03-07-2007, 09:58 PM
His instincts are questionable at best but he doesn't lack speed. I think he ran in the 4.68ish?? out of college, but he gets too aggressive and doesn't show great instinct but last season was basicly his rookie season so he should at least be an average strong side backer. Edwards is a weak or middle backer anyways. Wayne Simmons wasn't fast, he was just an SOB who played mean.

ND72
03-07-2007, 10:01 PM
4.68ish??

yikes...that's pre-acl surgery, and even that is eh. I don't question that, but I prefer my LB's in the NFL to be in the 4.4-4.59's...I don't question the guy is a brute and did improve...I just question if the coaching staff really thinks this guy is a 5-6 year starter, cause I sure don't.

b bulldog
03-07-2007, 10:02 PM
He may not be but Edwards isn't either. They don't even play the same position.

Bretsky
03-07-2007, 10:49 PM
His instincts are questionable at best but he doesn't lack speed. I think he ran in the 4.68ish?? out of college, but he gets too aggressive and doesn't show great instinct but last season was basicly his rookie season so he should at least be an average strong side backer. Edwards is a weak or middle backer anyways. Wayne Simmons wasn't fast, he was just an SOB who played mean.

I don't recall Pop running that fast; Wayne Simmons had a hell of a lot more talent than Brady Poppinga

gureski
03-08-2007, 11:09 AM
Poppinga lacks the instincts to overcome his defficiency in speed. How many RB's and TE's have to beat the guy in coverage before fans see that. He could improve, because he's a young player, but why tie a concrete block around the feet of the defense if Edwards is willing to sign and fill that role? Why not let Poppinga continue to develop without hurting the team? I just don't see it as a bad thing if a young guy gets time to ride the pine and learn behind a vet. Edwards is one of the best cover LB's in the league over the past 5 years. Poppinga could learn some things from Edwards in the area he needs help the most! I see a move of acquiring Edwards as a major help in developing Poppinga, not killing his career.

Also, if you think of the overall team, Poppinga would be able to contribute more on special teams if they didn't have to balance him starting at LB.

Moving on to Grant....I'd love to see him join the team. I was just telling my friend the other day that he's the safety I was hoping the Packers would look at. It's sign Grant or draft a safety in the first round as far as I'm concerned.

And lastly, I wish we'd hear more about the Packers looking at T.J. Duckett. Duckett came from the same offense the Packers installed ala Jagodinski. With Morency as the darting HB, Duckett would be a nice compliment as a power back.

Oh, and how come nobody has talked about the possibility of W.Dunn being available in the right trade? Atlanta is moving to a power running game. That's not Dunn's forte. Add in the fact that there is a young RB ready to take over behind Dunn and Dunn's age and you have a situation where maybe the Falcons wouldn't mind moving the guy. Realistically, Dunn may come available. I don't know anything anyone else doesn't....I'm just pointing out some obvious factors for us to think about.

HarveyWallbangers
03-08-2007, 11:19 AM
I don't think Duckett was a good fit in Atlanta. That's why they were so willing to get rid of him last offseason.

RashanGary
03-08-2007, 11:24 AM
4.68ish??

yikes...that's pre-acl surgery, and even that is eh. I don't question that, but I prefer my LB's in the NFL to be in the 4.4-4.59's...I don't question the guy is a brute and did improve...I just question if the coaching staff really thinks this guy is a 5-6 year starter, cause I sure don't.

Nick Barnett ran a 4.64 at 20 lbs less. Poppinga is bigger, stronger and about the same speed as Barnett. Typically I respect your opinion, but this one is way off.

RashanGary
03-08-2007, 11:29 AM
DeMeco Ryans was the DROY and he is 230 lbs and runs a 4.68

Brady is bigger and equally as fast. It's not just speed, it's size, speed, strength, ability to change direction, tackling, ect....

People take one quality and one qualilty that is well up to NFL standards and try to call the guy too slow.

Sorry. Poppinga is plenty fast if he was 230 lbs. Fact is, he runs that speed at 250 and brings tenacity with it.

IMO Poppinga was the toughest, most physical LB we had last year. He's not going anywhere and there is absolutely no need to replace him based on how well he played after getting comfortable.

gureski
03-08-2007, 12:20 PM
I don't think Duckett was a good fit in Atlanta. That's why they were so willing to get rid of him last offseason.

My thinking is that we need a power back to handle the 3d and 4th and 1 plays as well as goalline carries. Duckett did well in Atlanta in those roles. He could be the power back that creates a nice balanced rushing attack for the Packers.

I think the Atlanta thing fell apart because Duckett wanted more playing time leading into his contract year. He didn't want to share. Now, he lost his chance and has to work to raise his stock again. He's a guy who is likely hungry to prove himself that can be had cheap (if compared to other deals going on). I think he's good value and he fits a need we have.

In 2003 he had 11 Rushing TD's. He had 8 Rushing TD's in 2004 and 2005 and all that was in the ZBS.

So, that's where I was coming from on that.

gureski
03-08-2007, 12:27 PM
DeMeco Ryans was the DROY and he is 230 lbs and runs a 4.68

Brady is bigger and equally as fast. It's not just speed, it's size, speed, strength, ability to change direction, tackling, ect....

People take one quality and one qualilty that is well up to NFL standards and try to call the guy too slow.

Sorry. Poppinga is plenty fast if he was 230 lbs. Fact is, he runs that speed at 250 and brings tenacity with it.

IMO Poppinga was the toughest, most physical LB we had last year. He's not going anywhere and there is absolutely no need to replace him based on how well he played after getting comfortable.

It's not all numbers. Instinct plays a huge part at LB. Last year I listened to several hours of commentary from former Packer LB Brian Noble and he commented at length about how Poppinga currently is lacking instinct at the LB position. He said Poppinga will acquire those instincts with experience but that he's currently lacking in that department because he's a young player. Noble would go at length giving examples that happened in different games of plays where Poppinga missed a play because he lacked the ability to sniff things out or recognize things as they were unfolding. He didn't criticize the kid, he was just breaking down things that happened and explaining why.

With that said, why not let Poppinga work on developing himself behind a successful vet like Edwards for a year or two? You said Poppinga was the toughest, most physical LB the Pack had last year. I can't disagree more. Hawk gets that trophey. If your instincts are to just dig in every time and hit someone then you're going to look tough and physical. Never mind that you may have missed a coverage or missed recognizing a play. It's about more then hitting someone.

HarveyWallbangers
03-08-2007, 12:40 PM
Brady actually ran the 40 in 4.72 at the combine. Doesn't seem like much, but a 1/10th of a second is not slight. You can watch Poppinga and Barnett, and know that Barnett plays considerably faster than Poppinga.

Packnut
03-08-2007, 03:01 PM
Forget Grant per Shefter:

The Seahawks are closing in on a deal with Jacksonville free-agent safety Deon Grant.

Also Edwards leaning towards KC.

b bulldog
03-08-2007, 04:39 PM
Barnett plays the fastest of all of our LB's imo.

HarveyWallbangers
03-08-2007, 05:31 PM
Nice subtle dig at Hawk. Hawk actually ran better than Barnett. He plays fast. That's not a lot of difference between Hawk and Barnett in speed. I think Hawk is a little more instinctive and he's a better tackler, but they both play fast and are solid players. I honestly don't know what we have in Poppinga. I could see him getting better and becoming a solid starter, or I could see him on the bench in two years.

esoxx
03-08-2007, 06:29 PM
Hawk needs to work on his coverage skills too. I'm hoping to see big improvement from him this year on that aspect of his game.

Bretsky
03-08-2007, 11:24 PM
I'm not a Poppinga fan; brings great tenacity to the table and always will be a great special teams player because of it. I'll always be a fan due to this. But minimal football instincts; I'm just not at all sold on the guy.

ND72
03-08-2007, 11:30 PM
4.68ish??

Nick Barnett ran a 4.64 at 20 lbs less. Poppinga is bigger, stronger and about the same speed as Barnett. Typically I respect your opinion, but this one is way off.

oh my god...if you think Poopinga is as fast as Barnett, you're on crack also. Nick Barnett's Combine 40 was a 4.52 according to the pro football weekly's draft magazine from 2003. again...to think Poopinga is as fast as barnett is a joke, and is insulting.

ND72
03-08-2007, 11:32 PM

I'm sure I could give you AT LEAST 10 reasons he was our worst LB last season, and why he should be replaced as soon as we have anyone better.

SD GB fan
03-09-2007, 01:02 AM
My thinking is that we need a power back to handle the 3d and 4th and 1 plays as well as goalline carries. Duckett did well in Atlanta in those roles. He could be the power back that creates a nice balanced rushing attack for the Packers.

I think the Atlanta thing fell apart because Duckett wanted more playing time leading into his contract year. He didn't want to share. Now, he lost his chance and has to work to raise his stock again. He's a guy who is likely hungry to prove himself that can be had cheap (if compared to other deals going on). I think he's good value and he fits a need we have.

In 2003 he had 11 Rushing TD's. He had 8 Rushing TD's in 2004 and 2005 and all that was in the ZBS.

So, that's where I was coming from on that.

thats an interesting thought and i agree with that. he may not be the bset fit in the zbs between the 20s but he sure does well in short yardage and he has the experience. he would help us in the red zone and i dont think hes nearly as expensive as he was last year.

b bulldog
03-09-2007, 06:52 AM
Brian Noble agreed with my take on Barnett playing the fastest but he is doing so with much less instinct than Hawk has. This is the reason his speed runs him out of many plays. PFT.com called him one of the fastest sideline to sideline LB's in the league.

Zool
03-09-2007, 08:56 AM
4.68ish??

oh my god...if you think Poopinga is as fast as Barnett, you're on crack also. Nick Barnett's Combine 40 was a 4.52 according to the pro football weekly's draft magazine from 2003. again...to think Poopinga is as fast as barnett is a joke, and is insulting.Insulting? Really?

gureski
03-09-2007, 10:23 AM
Brian Noble agreed with my take on Barnett playing the fastest but he is doing so with much less instinct than Hawk has. This is the reason his speed runs him out of many plays. PFT.com called him one of the fastest sideline to sideline LB's in the league.

You touch on the missing ingredient that fans often forget when sizing up players. It's not all athletic ability. Having a 'Nose for the Ball' is an often used term that describes players that are constantly in on plays. Some of that is effort and athletic ability but a large portion of having a Nose for the ball involves instinct. You have to know when to use your 4.5 speed and when to sit back and go half speed so that you're in position to make a play. It's not all about running like a bat out of hell and smashing into someone. It's more then that. A guy with less speed but higher instincts can make more plays then a guy who has more speed and athletic ability but lacks instincts because the guy with instincts knows when to use his speed and where to be (position wise) in order to make plays.

Heck, look no further then LeRoy Butler. He was one of the best safeties to come through the NFL in the past 50 years and he wasn't ever classified as fast. The thing with Butler was that he knew where to be to get himself into position to make plays. He knew when to apply the athletic gifts he had and that made him 10 times alot of the players around him that had more ability but less instincts.