PDA

View Full Version : Griffith remains in picture

Sparkey
03-08-2007, 07:48 AM
Griffith remains in picture

By Pete Dougherty
pdougher@greenbaypressgazette.com

By Wednesday night it wasn't clear whether the Green Bay Packers' first player visit of the free-agent season was near yielding a contract with fullback Justin Griffith.

The Packers are considering signing Griffith, who is entering his fifth NFL season, to compete with holdover Brandon Miree for the starting fullback job in their zone-blocking run game. The 232-pound Griffith played in the same system the last three years at Atlanta but became expendable when the Falcons changed head coaches this offseason and switched to a more power-oriented run game that requires a bigger fullback.

Griffith also has visited the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

The sides were believed to be engaged in negotiations Wednesday, though there was no indication how serious the talks were as the day went on. Griffith's agent, Mike McCartney, wasn't available for comment, and Packers General Manager Ted Thompson wouldn't comment on the visit or how far along talks were.

Also, an NFL source said the Packers appear to have a genuine interest in free-agent safety Deon Grant of Jacksonville and are considering bringing him in for a visit within the next week.

Grant (6-foot-2, 210 pounds) is an eighth-year pro who turns 28 on March 14. He missed his rookie year of 2000 in Carolina because of a hip injury and has started every game since — 48 straight for the Panthers and then the next 48 for Jacksonville. He has a career total of 18 interceptions and would be a candidate to replace Marquand Manuel as a starting safety.

Also in free agency, the Packers' interest in former Saints receiver Joe Horn ended after Horn agreed to a contract with the Atlanta Falcons on Wednesday. The Packers were considering bringing Horn in for a visit and trying to sign the 35-year-old, who played for Packers coach Mike McCarthy when both were with the Saints from 2000 to 2004. Details of his deal with Atlanta were unavailable.

In the meantime, the Packers officially cut ties with fullback William Henderson.

The Packers recently told the 36-year-old Henderson they were not bringing him back after 12 seasons with the team and released him Wednesday.

Henderson has spent his entire career with the Packers and was part of former General Manager Ron Wolf's strong 1995 draft class that included landing three starters on the 1996 Super Bowl team in the third round alone: Henderson, receiver Antonio Freeman and linebacker Brian Williams.

Henderson missed only four games in his 12 seasons with the Packers and started 112 times. He was primarily a blocking back and never had more than 14 carries in a season but caught 320 passes for 2,409 yards. Through his last season with the Packers he continued to play a regular role on special teams as well.

"(Henderson) has meant the world to us," Thompson said. "He was part of an outstanding third-round draft class (in 1995). He's come in and been a professional in every sense, a mature, developed human being, far surpassing most anybody I've seen in the National Football League, and has continued to grow in that role. He's remarkable. It's a very difficult decision for us to make. We decided that we need to go in a little different direction and take another step there, and he'd like to continue to play."

Henderson told Thompson he'd like to keep playing in the right situation.

The Packers also re-signed linebacker Tracy White. White, a backup linebacker, was a special-teams core player last season and led the Packers' special teams with 17 tackles.

LL2
03-08-2007, 08:53 AM
I sure hope they sign Griffith. At first I wasn’t too interested, but after reading about him he sounds like a good signing. He’s young, only 25, knows the ZBS, and has his best years ahead of him.

If we can sign Griffith, Grant, trade for Moss, and get some solid players in the draft I will be optimistic about making the playoffs next year.

red
03-08-2007, 08:59 AM
griffith, and grant would both be nice pickups. and take care of two big holes, so we can focus on the many other need areas in the draft

MadtownPacker
03-08-2007, 11:43 AM
Yeah this guy is sounding like a must-sign FA. Anyone know where else he is gonna visit?

ND72
03-08-2007, 11:45 AM
as far as I know, he's only visited Tampa and Green Bay

The Shadow
03-08-2007, 04:44 PM
I think there will be 2 fairly major deals done before all is said & done, in addition to an extension for Barnett & continued salary cap health.

b bulldog
03-08-2007, 04:54 PM
That would make for a successful offseason in my opinion along with a solid draft and we should be on our way to being a better team in 07 than 06.

GoPackGo
03-08-2007, 04:56 PM
I would love for TT to sign Grant and Griffith, and sign and trade for Darrel Jax from Seattle

Merlin
03-09-2007, 09:47 AM
I think there will be 2 fairly major deals done before all is said & done, in addition to an extension for Barnett & continued salary cap health.

Don't count on the extension for Barnett. The stupid moves other teams are making drives his price up. I don't think TT wants to sign Barnett. I am willing to bet that he is banking on Hodge making a complete turnaround this season.

Remember the template: He wants this to be HIS TEAM. He tried to get Favre out of here the first year he was here by drafting Rogers in the first round. He wanted him gone with Sherman. He then took the whole coaching staff away from him because he knew that Favre didn't want to learn a whole new offense. Thusly he tried to influence his retirement. Favre came back and liked what he saw. What is the move this year? Seemingly it's to strip the offense and not pick up anyone as he did the last two years. If he gets Moss then my mind will change.

Partial
03-09-2007, 09:48 AM
Who cares he is a fullback.

Charles Woodson
03-09-2007, 09:53 AM

Don't count on the extension for Barnett. The stupid moves other teams are making drives his price up. I don't think TT wants to sign Barnett. I am willing to bet that he is banking on Hodge making a complete turnaround this season.

Remember the template: He wants this to be HIS TEAM. He tried to get Favre out of here the first year he was here by drafting Rogers in the first round. He wanted him gone with Sherman. He then took the whole coaching staff away from him because he knew that Favre didn't want to learn a whole new offense. Thusly he tried to influence his retirement. Favre came back and liked what he saw. What is the move this year? Seemingly it's to strip the offense and not pick up anyone as he did the last two years. If he gets Moss then my mind will change.

eh i kinda agree but with the whole His Team arguement there are a few flaws. I mean he extended Drivers and Harris's contracts and resigned Jenkins. Idk We all have different view points but yea i agree that i dont think TT has done good this offseason

MJZiggy
03-09-2007, 10:18 AM

eh i kinda agree but with the whole His Team arguement there are a few flaws. I mean he extended Drivers and Harris's contracts and resigned Jenkins. Idk We all have different view points but yea i agree that i dont think TT has done good this offseason

That's what everyone said last year and by the end of the draft, he was a genius.

Packnut
03-09-2007, 10:25 AM

That's what everyone said last year and by the end of the draft, he was a genius.

Genius? I think that's a tad pre-mature. Jennings played about a 1/3 od the season. He had NO IMPACT in the remaining 2/3 rds so UNTIL he shows up for a full season, the jury is still out. Hodge failed miserably in his 1 chance. Jennings, Spitz and Moll had to have help all season in pass protection and were thoroughly out-played in the Vikings, Jets and Pats games. A monkey could have picked Hawk at #5.

Now it's logical to assume some of these guys will improve, but until that happens Thompson is no genius. It's better to deal in what we've seen then what we might see.

Fritz
03-09-2007, 10:27 AM

Naturally we're all entitled to our opinions, and mine is that your opinion is crazy, dude. Do you seriosuly - seriously - really think that TT's so ego-driven that his entire goal is to ditch anyone whom he hasn't personally picked?

So you think TT sits in his office and tries to figure out how to drive Favre into retirement, how to cut or trade or ditch every single player he hasn't personally chose, just so he can say it's "his" team?

That is just so whacked out that if anyone were to point out that TT has extended Kampman, Jenkins, Franks, Driver, Wells, and Harris, would you - could you - even bother to try to respond logically?

Like I said, you are of course entitled to your opinion. I respect that and hope you continue to post - that's why Packerrats is a good site. But I vehemently disagree with your stance.

MJZiggy
03-09-2007, 10:30 AM
I was speaking to the mood on the forum. This time last year there was the same panic, but when the draft came around, the tone of the posts to the forum changed immediately and the panic was over for the most part.

I think Jennings was bothered by that ankle and a few ghosts and will be back to form this season and if we get Moss, that would be sweet as well. Don't count on me to bet my life savings on it either way, but I'm not standing on any ledges right now either.

Charles Woodson
03-09-2007, 10:34 AM
I was speaking to the mood on the forum. This time last year there was the same panic, but when the draft came around, the tone of the posts to the forum changed immediately and the panic was over for the most part.

Did we ever figure out when TT's firrst signing was last year? I felt a whole lot better last year than this year.

MJZiggy
03-09-2007, 10:39 AM
Well he signed Manual right after FA started :wink: :wink: and then it was a while before Pickett on St. Patty's day.

Partial
03-09-2007, 10:41 AM
I repeat, who cares its a fullback!!!

The focus should be on robbing the bears of Briggs for Barnett. Sure, it'll never happen, but neither will the Randy Moss thing and that got about 10 threads dedicated to it!!

MJZiggy
03-09-2007, 10:43 AM
If it'll never happen there's no reason to focus on it. Moss could easily happen. And by the way, we need a fullback unless you really think Donald Lee can handle it should anything happen to Miree...

Charles Woodson
03-09-2007, 10:55 AM
I repeat, who cares its a fullback!!!

The focus should be on robbing the bears of Briggs for Barnett. Sure, it'll never happen, but neither will the Randy Moss thing and that got about 10 threads dedicated to it!!

He is a very good fullback 25 years old that could play a bit at RB and can also catch

Charles Woodson
03-09-2007, 02:07 PM
Raiders | Team to meet with Griffith Friday
Fri, 9 Mar 2007 11:01:29 -0800

Adam Schefter, of NFL.com, reports the Oakland Raiders are scheduled to meet with free agent FB Justin Griffith (Falcons) Friday, March 9.

woodbuck27
03-09-2007, 02:17 PM
OK so J.Griffith has moved on or so it would appear.

He looks like a good fit for us but that prospect may not offer him the same. :)

This is only the 9th of March.

Everyone take a week off. A whole lot isn't happening in Green Bay for the next week.

Charles Woodson
03-09-2007, 02:20 PM
OK so J.Griffith has moved on or so it would appear.

He looks like a good fit for us but that prospect may not offer him the same. :)

This is only the 9th of March.

Everyone take a week off. A whole lot isn't happening in Green Bay for the next week.

for the next week? hell we will be lucky if something happens at all

woodbuck27
03-09-2007, 02:47 PM
Free agency. . .uhhh ??

Ted has shifted his attention to designing a report form for player assessments of how well they fit his PLAN in 2007.

He recognizes that he's getting rather handy with the purge button, but still needs a better 'black and white', to illustrate 'exactly' why.

joking.

Packnut
03-09-2007, 03:37 PM
Griffith visiting the Raiders.

MJZiggy
03-09-2007, 03:46 PM
Good. When he sees how nuts Al Davis is, he'll come back and sign with us...

BlueBrewer
03-09-2007, 04:07 PM

Al Davis is about as crazy as Goldmember from that austin powers movie. I can just see him eating his flaking liver spots at a recruiting dinner. Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!

LL2
03-09-2007, 04:09 PM

I wouldn't be so sure. If Dominic Rhodes can go from the SB champs to the worst team, anything is possible.

LL2
03-09-2007, 04:27 PM
Woohoo! I'm a starter Rat again! I was a start Rat then got bumped back to undrafted status, and now back to Starter Rat status. I should update my avatar to a stripper bunny!

MJZiggy
03-09-2007, 04:44 PM

I wouldn't be so sure. If Dominic Rhodes can go from the SB champs to the worst team, anything is possible.

I know. I was trying for a little levity to lighten the mood around here... :| Isn't there a joke thread buried somewhere in the Romper Room??

gbpackfan
03-09-2007, 05:12 PM
ANOTHER FA that Ted let get away. Signing FAs is part of his job, if he continues to neglect this part of it, he should be fired.

Lurker64
03-09-2007, 05:19 PM
ANOTHER FA that Ted let get away. Signing FAs is part of his job, if he continues to neglect this part of it, he should be fired.

However "kidnapping people" is not his job. So if TT made a really really good offer and Griffith said "I'd like some time to think about it" what's Thompson supposed to do? If he got out the chloroform and duct taped him to a chair, the chance of him really playing up to his contract are pretty slim.

gbpackfan
03-09-2007, 05:22 PM
When certain GMs want a player, THEY GO GET HIM. This team has holes that need to be filled. I just want to see him start plugging away.

MJZiggy
03-09-2007, 05:25 PM
:lol: :shock:

BooHoo
03-09-2007, 05:27 PM
I bet it is a lot harder for us than it is for T2 to sit and wait in FA. When the sports media announce all of the signings and say how good it was for this team and that team it appears we are missing the boat and get all depressed that we don't have anyone in the fold. We all know that not all of these "great" signings are going to end up great. Wasn't it just a few years ago when Washington signed all of those FAs and as a group they didn't pan out at all. So let's keep the faith and give T2 some time.