PDA

View Full Version : Oregon passes Jessica's Law

oregonpackfan
04-26-2006, 12:34 AM
A couple of you posters have the signature of "Pass Jessica's Law."

Just wanted you to know, the Governor of Oregon signed Jessica's Law yesterday. A special session of the Oregon State Legislature ratified the law into the state constitution.

The law mandates minimum 25 year prison sentences for sexual offenses against children along with 10 year close supervision of the perp after he is released from prison.

Oregonpackfan

Tarlam!
04-26-2006, 04:32 AM
This is a great thread, that I would encourage is moved into romper room.

I think Jessica's law is too leniant. I think convicted sex offenders against children should get life without parole. Always. There is no excuse, there is no rehab.

oregonpackfan
04-26-2006, 08:43 AM
Good recommendation about moving this thread to the Romper Room, Tarlam.

I have followed through with your suggestion and posted it on the Romper Room.

Oregonpackfan

MadtownPacker
04-26-2006, 08:50 AM
I agree with Tarlam about no excuses and no rehab but I think the death penalty is much more fitting.

oregonpackfan
04-26-2006, 12:03 PM
This area just noted the murder of a 17 year old girl from Vancouver, Washington(just across the Coumbia River from Portland, OR)

A 26 year old registered sex offender entered the McDonald's restaurant where she worked and stabbed her to death. The suspect did not even know her.

The sex offender, out on bail, told arresting officers that he "Wanted to go out and hurt some girl."

Many therapists and other professionals are revealing that the "Cure rate" for pedophiles and other sex offenders is very low. I agree with the basic premise of Jessica's Law that these perpeptrators need to be locked up for a minimum of 25 years to protect society.

Oregonpackfan

Tarlam!
04-26-2006, 12:11 PM
I won't sweep all sex offenders into one heap, because where adults are involved, it is sometimes a coin toss as to whether it was indeed rape, or a girl is out to get a guy.

When kids are involved, there can simply never be consenting adults. One is always a kid. In this case, the adult should get life.

I once was totally for the death penalty, until I matured a bit and realized I could not administer the "life" reward to say, a dying child.

That's when I thought it was best for God to deal with both life and death decisions.

Little Whiskey
04-26-2006, 01:29 PM
That's when I thought it was best for God to deal with both life and death decisions.

....well GOD and Texas!!

Sparkey
04-26-2006, 04:26 PM
Question....

If a seventeen year old guy is dating a 19 year old girl and someone discovers they are having sex, by law it is statutory rape ? Correct ? ?

Does this woman deserve to spend 25 years in jail ?

Guiness
04-26-2006, 05:11 PM
Heh. When I turned 16, 'bout three monts before my then gf, we used to joke about the fact that I was performing statutory rape about twice a week...

GBRulz
04-26-2006, 09:38 PM
Question....

If a seventeen year old guy is dating a 19 year old girl and someone discovers they are having sex, by law it is statutory rape ? Correct ? ?

I think this law needs some adjusting. It would be different if it was like a 25 year old and a 15 year old, but when you're talking 16 & 18 year olds having consensual sex - I don't agree with the law as it stands.

GrnBay007
04-26-2006, 09:52 PM
Question....

The age of consent in the state I live in is 16. The County Attorney won't touch a case involving a 16 yr old having consentual sex with a 22 yr. old. Now you take 14 or 15 yr. old with a 19 yr old and they will press charges if they have the evidence.

Scott Campbell
04-26-2006, 09:55 PM
I have two daughters, and you people are scaring me.

GrnBay007
04-26-2006, 10:15 PM
I have two daughters, and you people are scaring me.

I don't know about scared, but cautious and always alert are a must.....with girls or boys. I'm probably more paranoid than many.....asking tons of questions about their friends. I try to get to know their friend's parents and find out as much as I can about them before they start spending any time at their house. It's sad to say but a very large percentage of sex offenders are not the stereotypical disgusting pervert hiding in the bushes to grab a kid and molest them.

Tarlam!
04-27-2006, 04:08 AM
007, I have a duaghter and a son. I wanna know with whom they hang out. I always insist on meeting parents before a stayover.

On my girl's 11th b'day party, the whole gang stayed over - 5 boys, 7 girls. All slept in one room, too.

Would never have happened if I did not know each kid well, and their backgrounds. Trusting your kids' judgement is only fine if they have an example of good judgement.

So, I don't think you're paranoid, I just think you're offering a solid example to follow.