PDA

View Full Version : A question about lost FA draft compensation

swede
03-08-2007, 08:32 AM
Can somebody hook me up with the NFL rules regarding draft pick compensation for UFA's lost to other teams. I am specifically wondering if we will get any compensatory picks for Green and Martin--or is that only for lost RFA's?

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-08-2007, 08:34 AM
I think it goes for all free agents, not sure how you determine what you get though.

Fritz
03-08-2007, 08:36 AM
No, I'm pretty sure you get compensated for UFA's, though the "formula" the NFL uses seems to involve a cast iron kettle and frogs' innards and such. Supposedly it has something to do with the lost players' production for their new teams...which means the Packers will get very little for two players who are not full-time guys.

esoxx
03-08-2007, 06:06 PM
We should likely get two compensation picks next year.

HarveyWallbangers
03-08-2007, 08:58 PM
We should likely get two compensation picks next year.

I don't think we'll get two for losing Green and Martin. Probably one, but that will be offset by the FAs we sign. Eventually, Thompson is going to sign a guy or two and it will be pretty much offset.

Patler
03-08-2007, 09:40 PM
Even the GMs don't understand how it works. Wolf constantly complained about it. Every year one or two express amazement at the results.

CaliforniaCheez
03-08-2007, 09:46 PM
In general the primary factor is the amount of money in the contract.

Veteran minimum contracts do not count and some near that do not count.

Third round is the highest compensatory pick. Seattle would likely rate a 3rd round compensatory for Hutchinson. However all losses and gains must be considered.

For example losing Marco Rivera was worth a 5th round pick when all things were considered.

Last year I tracked this and the Packers were relatively even (Pickett's contract was close to Mike Flanagan's with the Texans etc.) Then the Woodson deal wipeout the differences.

With the money thrown around this year the combined Green and Martin contracts would be a 5th round pick for now and could change tomorrow or with the next Packer signing.

The real key to understanding compensatory picks is that there really are 8 rounds worth of draft picks. The 32 compensatory picks are distributed at the end of the 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th rounds.

If Green's deal is the 9-13 largest contract that would likely equate to 5th round pick.

Martin would be a marginal deciding factor because the size of the deal.

The real formula is unknown but money has a high corrolation.

ND72
03-08-2007, 11:26 PM
There is also a part that according to the NFL that compensation is also determined on "importance to current team"....if Ahman goes out and becomes a pro bowler, we'll get a 3rd round pick.

Tony Oday
03-09-2007, 12:08 AM
It is a formula that is in the vualt on a super computer...you know the same one that they get QB ratings from...

pacfan
03-09-2007, 08:28 AM
It is a formula that is in the vault on a super computer...you know the same one that they get QB ratings from...

I think the NFL use haruspicy, just to mess with PETA.