PDA

View Full Version : Landmark deal unreal to new Atlanta FB Ovie Mughelli

woodbuck27
03-08-2007, 12:48 PM
http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/printedition/2007/03/08/sptovie0308a.html

woodbuck27:

I decided to put this one down considering the fact we are waiting on whether or not we acquire FB J. Griffith, and particulars on what his replacement cost 'the Falcons'.

Landmark deal unreal to Mughelli

By Steve Wyche
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 03/08/07

After signing a six-year, $18 million contract with the Falcons that made him the highest-paid fullback in NFL history, Ovie Mughelli felt as if he got hit with one of his own knee-buckling blocks.

Here is a player with just 12 career carries in four seasons with Baltimore, little name recognition and a last name that could take some time to decipher (pronounced muh-HAY-lee).

Overnight he became a wage-scale pioneer for burly backfield worker bees.

"I could barely comprehend it," Mughelli said.

The feeling was quelled hours later when Mughelli said he heard and read that the Falcons overpaid for a good, but not great player, who'd only been a full-time starter for one season. Mughelli was bothered, which isn't good.

Think of waving a red flag in front of a raging bull.

"I'm sure skeptics think I'm overpaid, but I love the naysayers," said Mughelli, a Wake Forest product from Charleston, S.C.

"I love the doubters. I've played with a chip on my shoulder my whole life. I'm always going to stay hungry. I don't think people know how much I love this game and how much I want to win. People are always challenging me.

"When I got to the NFL I was ranked, coming into the draft, as one of the top fullbacks. I didn't get a chance to play right away. Some people started thinking, 'This guy is not worth it. He's not panning out.' People challenged me and I took on and overcame that challenge."

Mughelli, 26, is the Falcons' prized free-agent score —- a 6-foot-1, 255-pound wrecking ball who's been deemed the perfect plow for new coach Bobby Petrino's power running game —- or, in his case, run-blocking game.

His punishing style was somewhat in contrast to versatile veterans Justin Griffith and Fred McCrary, whose age, 34, might have worked against him more than his effectiveness.

"We felt we needed to get the fullback-type guy, the lead blocker type," running backs coach Ollie Wilson said.

"The difference between this year and last year as far as fullback is concerned is with the zone concepts in the run game last year, the fullback was involved in what we called cleanup stuff, where he'd get in the secondary, meet up with safeties, things like that.

"This offense is geared more to where the fullback is in man situations against linebackers and that type of thing. That's why the bigger, tougher, stronger guy was more of a demand for this offense. We felt Mughelli was by far the best for all the things we could do, and he has some skills as far as a runner and he's pretty good in the pass game."

Wilson added that the Falcons still plan on adding a bigger tailback who at times could be paired with Mughelli to form a rock-'em, sock-'em tandem.

With what Mughelli said he brings, that could prove to be something explosive. His self-analysis, especially for the hardcore fan, is a description that fosters the desire for the season to have started yesterday.

"I'm the nicest guy in the world off the field but every time I hit someone, I try to go right through the other guy's chest and take their heart," Mughelli said.

"Most guys make the block, and that's fine. I'm trying to do more than make a block. That's why I've got so many pancake blocks, blocks where I've just put guys on their backs.

"De-cleating people? That's the type of football I play. On special teams, blink and you might miss me. If I don't get the guy who has the ball, the guy trying to get me, I'm trying to try to embarrass him.

"I'm a very aggressive player. I'm used to being a blue-collar guy. As long as the tailbacks score and my quarterback is protected, I've done my job."

Comment woodbuck27:

Man. I like him.

Back to smashmouth football.

Packnut
03-08-2007, 12:52 PM
Ya just can't devote that much cash to the FB position.

HarveyWallbangers
03-08-2007, 12:55 PM
Have you been watching the market? Guys like Bobby Wade and Visanthe Shiancoe are going for $3M/year.
:D

I'd spend $3M/year on Griffith. He does it all, and can even play HB in a pinch. I think he's the only FB that I'd spend that much on. I don't think Mughelli is worth it.

woodbuck27
03-08-2007, 01:03 PM
Have you been watching the market? Guys like Bobby Wade and Visanthe Shiancoe are going for $3M/year.
:D

I'd spend $3M/year on Griffith. He does it all, and can even play HB in a pinch. I think he's the only FB that I'd spend that much on. I don't think Mughelli is worth it.

Putting you on the spot Harvey.

Does TT sign Griffith?

I think that money could be better spent elsewhere, yet for equal value elsewhere is another question.

gureski
03-08-2007, 01:10 PM
Ya just can't devote that much cash to the FB position.

Time's are changing. It wasn't long ago that Ron Wolf refused to pay a punter $1 million dollars.

It was even more recent when people said that you can't possibly pay a guard that kind of money (Wahle).

With the cap increasing the way it has and continues......$3 million for a FB is par for the course.

HarveyWallbangers
03-08-2007, 01:10 PM
I'd go to $3M/year on Griffith, but no more. Henderson got $1.5M. Economics have changed, and this guy is better.

Does he sign him? Who knows. Likely not. He didn't get him to sign a contract before he left town.