PDA

View Full Version : Reggie Nelson improves draft standing

bigcoz75
03-08-2007, 02:06 PM
Wednesday, March 07, 2007
Reggie Nelson Puts On A Show At His Pro Day

The University of Florida held its 'Pro Day In The Swap' today, showcasing Gator football players for NFL scouts and personnel people. While there were many defensive standouts on last year's National Championship team, one player in particular shined today.

Safety Reggie Nelson put on a show for the scouts. He improved on all his numbers from the combine, partially due to the fact that he had a slight hamstring injury back at Indy.

"I didn't do too good at the combine. I injured my hamstring (at the combine). It was very important for me to get the right treatment. I came out and continued to work hard. I ran a 4.5 at the combine. This is a big difference. It went pretty good."

Pretty good might be an understatement.

"We heard anywhere from 4.31 to 4.35 (in the 40)," said Hadley Ingelhard, Nelson's agent. "I'm sure that's what he wanted. He did a great job. I was told in the three-cone (agility drill) that he was the fastest to date this year, and he broad-jumped 10 feet, seven inches, which is fantastic.

"This (Nelson's overall performance) is more or less just icing on the cake. All these scouts will tell you, it's what you do on film that matters most. If you watch Reggie (on film), he's a ballhawk. He makes big plays, he's a big hitter, he's got great range. That's what's going to get him drafted."

With his latest performance, Reggie Nelson has succured himself a spot in the top 20 of this draft. In fact, the Jaguars have shown very strong interest in Nelson, with several team representative on hand during Florida's pro day, including head coach Del Rio and Defensive Coordinator Mike Smith.

Nelson is also scheduled for a private workout for Patriots head coach Bill Belichick, and about 20 other teams are scheduling meetings with him.

Even the Tampa Bay staff likes what they see in Reggie:

"Great instincts, great speed, leadership," Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin said. "He can sit back there (and be one of those) ball hawks. I don't know that you really coach that. You just kind of have it. It's called football awareness. He's got it."

bigcoz75
03-08-2007, 02:11 PM
Quite an improvement in time. Especially considering Florida runs their pro day on grass as opposed to the faster turf in Indy for the combine.

RashanGary
03-08-2007, 02:13 PM
Damn,

Forget about the physical numbers, those were some pretty big compliments that he got from coaches.

BlueBrewer
03-08-2007, 02:14 PM
I would be happy with a Nelson in the first draft if TT could get us a real running back.

MJZiggy
03-08-2007, 02:20 PM
Where was this posted? Got a link?

RashanGary
03-08-2007, 02:23 PM
Where was this posted? Got a link?

DS Reggie Nelson quickly became the biggest story on Wednesday. After running disappointing 40-yard dash times at the combine, Nelson silenced critics when he posted a time of 4.35 seconds -- on grass -- in his first and only attempt.

Nelson also turned heads by running a sub-4.4-second short shuttle, faster than any defensive back at the combine. There are still questions regarding his size and ability to support the run in the NFL, but at least the ball-hawking free safety proved himself fast enough to warrant consideration in the bottom half of the first round.

This is from ESPN insider, Todd McShay. It verifys what this other guy said.

bigcoz75
03-08-2007, 02:25 PM
KFFL:
NFL | R. Nelson works out at his Pro Day
Wed, 7 Mar 2007 23:03:06 -0800

Gil Brandt, of NFL.com, reports Florida DB Reggie Nelson ran the 40-yard dash in 4.35 seconds at his Pro Day March 7. He finished the short shuttle in 4.15 seconds and the three-cone drill in 6.70 seconds. He measured a 35-inch vertical jump and a 10-foot-6 broad jump.

Original:
http://bolthype.blogspot.com/2007/03/reggie-nelson-puts-on-show-at-his-pro.html

woodbuck27
03-08-2007, 02:28 PM
Reggie Nelson is pick 17 on the latest Yahoo Mock and Marshawn Lynch is set at 20.

16. Green Bay Packers – Ted Ginn Jr., wide receiver/kick returner, Ohio State. The Packers need to address finding another playmaker on offense, so it could come down to a trio of prospects. But after losing Ahman Green in free agency, general manager Ted Thompson said he felt comfortable with the backs they had on the roster. If they're unable to secure the services of Randy Moss, the ideal choice for them would be this versatile Buckeyes' speedster. He instantly improves their special teams, and when combined with Donald Driver and Greg Jennings, he offers them the chance to put three solid receivers out on the field for the returning Brett Favre.

17. Jacksonville Jaguars – Reggie Nelson, defensive back, Florida. The Jaguars need an outside pass rusher, even with the expected return of Reggie Hayward. They had zero depth at that position last season and play in a division that has two premier franchise signal callers – Peyton Manning and Vince Young. However, while the cornerback position is solid, a playmaking safety who can create turnovers would be of greater value to the defensive unit as a whole. If they address the secondary in Round 1, expect to see a pass rusher taken somewhere on the first day.

18. Cincinnati Bengals – Jon Beason, linebacker, Miami (Fla.). The Bengals have several questions yet to be answered on the defensive side of the ball, but the depth at cornerback is better than expected after watching the results from the combine. They have serious issues at linebacker as David Pollack, Odell Thurman and A.J. Nicholson could be unavailable for various reasons heading into next season. Beason is more versatile than Penn State's Paul Posluszny, who could also fit into this spot. If Ahmad Brooks is ready to step up to replace Brian Simmons, Beason could shift outside. Either way, he would give them a smart, instinctive defender with great intangibles and character as well.

19. Tennessee Titans – Robert Meachem, wide receiver, Tennessee. Last month, I posted him in this spot and took a lot of heat for doing so. However, his performance at the combine should ease concerns about who the best available receiver would be at this spot. The loss of Drew Bennett creates an even bigger hole, especially since the team had to also cut leading rusher Travis Henry. They expect LenDale White to take over the bulk of the carries, so addressing the need for a vertical threat takes precedence.

20. New York Giants – Marshawn Lynch, running back, California. They are looking to get younger at several spots – offensive tackle, linebacker and even cornerback – but locating a running back who properly can be paired with Brandon Jacobs still has to head that list. The Giants have been looking for a change-of-pace back through free agency or a trade, but Lynch would offer a perfect complement because he is an excellent pass catcher. He has good size to pick up the blitz if used as a third-down back and more than enough speed to take those outside carries while Jacobs bangs up the middle. If the Giants sign a free-agent back, they likely will turn their attention to someone like Posluszny or defensive tackle Tank Tyler.

Comment woodbuck27:

Looking at this I can't see TT pulling the trigger on a FA RB.

I wish he'd bite the bullet and admit he erorr'd on M. Manuel and get us a solid FA safety. Also sign J. Griffith.

He then can go RB/WR in the draft - best available at 16 and 48. Wait on TE till next season.

BlueBrewer
03-08-2007, 02:37 PM
I think Nelson May have just put himself in the top 10. I can't believe that Lynch will make it past Buffalo at 12 after they lost Todd Bridges I mean Willis Mcgahee.

woodbuck27
03-08-2007, 02:44 PM
I think Nelson May have just put himself in the top 10. I can't believe that Lynch will make it past Buffalo at 12 after they lost Todd Bridges I mean Willis Mcgahee.

Yes.

Buffalo may certainly be targeting Lynch now.Alot can happen to a draft prospect in 6-7 weeks time though.

He had better stay close to his MOM or he could end up in the frozen tundra. :)

Lurker64
03-08-2007, 03:05 PM
I wouldn't be terribly saddened by getting Nelson in the first. He really needs to work on his tackling as his technique is very poor, but he's always around the ball and he's generally making plays.

green_bowl_packer
03-08-2007, 07:42 PM
profootball weekly's draft guide makes him come off as a not the brightest bulb, or the sharpest knife in the drawer. They have him ranked as the 4th best saftey behind Landry (LSU), Meriweather (Miami), and Griffin (UT). I'd rather the Pack fill wholes on offense with first pick and grab Meriweather with the second if he's there, cause he's definitely a first round grade player.

Profootball Weekly says:

I've skipped the positives since we all know them, they see him more as a corner skills wise.

Downside: Plays in a simplified scheme that allows him to focus. Is not a quick study and may struggle on a team that implements vastly different game plans each week. Not quite as thick as teams want at the position. Not immediate to key and diagnose and does not show great first step quickness. Can refine his footwork. Takes inconsistent angles to the football and can be over aggressive at times. Not a blow-you-up assassin and does not have a very intimidating presence.

The Way We See It: Has the physical ability to warrant looks very early, but mental limitations could push him to the second round. Can be an impact player if he is not asked to do a lot, and once he grows comfortable in a system, he could be a good pro. Is athletic enough to line up at cornerback, and in a bad CB class, he could recieve consideration there.