PDA

View Full Version : Misleading story - Mortensen says Favre's delay hurt

Kiwon
04-26-2006, 05:27 AM
Mortensen says Favre's delay hurt - by Bob Wolfley
Posted: April 25, 2006

Chris Mortensen of ESPN, who broke the story Tuesday that Brett Favre will return for one more season with the Green Bay Packers, says the quarterback's prolonged delay in deciding to play again has created bad publicity for the team and a potential problem in the locker room.

Mortensen, ESPN's lead National Football League reporter, made his comments earlier Tuesday, before the Favre news broke, during a conference call with reporters about the National Football League draft this weekend.

"Well, I don't think it affects anything they do draft-wise," Mortensen said, referring to Favre not yet making his intentions known. "Listen, the Packers need another veteran quarterback anyway. They don't know if Aaron Rodgers is going to be ready. In fact, he probably won't be ready. So they need a veteran quarterback and that should have been addressed. I've been told for a couple of weeks now - and I believe it - that Brett's indecision will not affect their draft. In other words, if they want to take another quarterback at No. 5, they will take a quarterback. I don't think that is likely to happen."

The Packers have the No. 5 pick overall in the draft.

"I can't make the case for it hurting the Packers," Mortensen said, referring to Favre's indecision. "Other than it's kind of bad publicity. It makes him look bad. Brett has pretty much stated his case openly, which is, 'I'm waiting to see if the Packers can compete this year. If they can't compete, I'm not sure I want to play.' What he is saying by his indecision right now (is) 'I don't like what I'm seeing.' I think just from a publicity standpoint it probably hurts the Packers."

Mortensen said Favre's status had little bearing on the Packers' inability to sign free-agent linebacker LaVar Arrington, who signed with the New York Giants. Arrington told the Washington Times that in a conversation with Favre, the quarterback urged him to sign with Green Bay.

"Arrington really wanted badly to play in the NFC East," Mortensen said. "I think Arrington was stuck on playing in the NFC East. When Reggie White signed with the Packers, he told me and he told others that Brett's presence was the reason why he wanted to sign with the Packers. He believed with Brett he could go to the Super Bowl, which meant he didn't believe he could go to the Super Bowl with Randall Cunningham in Philadelphia."

Mortensen said Favre's delay could be second-guessed from another angle.

"By making this obvious statement that you don't believe this team is competitive - if Brett comes back anyway because he really wants to play football - the guys in the locker room, have they lost any respect for him? I wonder. Basically, what he is saying is, 'I don't really believe in you guys.' I think that's an area that is kind of a minefield, a tricky field for him to navigate if and when he comes back."
.................................................. ..............................................

Bob Wolfley's story is an example of sloppy journalism. The title creates a false impression that doesn't fit the body of the story. In fact, Mortensen said the exact opposite of the title.

Wolfley's first paragraph contain HIS analysis of what Mortensen said which includes 2 ways that Favre's delay hurt ("the quarterback's prolonged delay in deciding to play again has created bad publicity for the team and a potential problem in the locker room.")

Mortensen said it created bad publicity for FARVE, not the team. Mortensen DID say that he wondered about a potential locker room problem.

So Wolfley's title and his first assertion is inaccurate. His last point is legitimate. 50% correct doesn't cut it if you're going to quote people and publish their comments. A good journalist has to get it right. Bob Wolfley didn't do this in this story.

MJZiggy
04-26-2006, 07:11 AM
Does anybody truly believe that Brett Favre could possibly have lost his locker room? With one exception, I've never heard of anything but love and praise for them and the low expectations everyone seems to have sure is a nice motivating, galvanizing force. Nothing like something to prove to a common enemy.

retailguy
04-26-2006, 10:53 AM
Does anybody truly believe that Brett Favre could possibly have lost his locker room? With one exception, I've never heard of anything but love and praise for them and the low expectations everyone seems to have sure is a nice motivating, galvanizing force. Nothing like something to prove to a common enemy.

Do I think he lost his locker room? No, probably not. Did he lose some of his fan base? You bet. My image of him has tarnished over the indecision and waffling he portrayed this offseason. I have ZERO doubt that he communicated his intentions to the Packers a long time ago, and FURTHER offered guarantees to the NFL office that he'd be back, PRIOR to the issuance of the schedule. All those in this room who advocated trading him must have lost some respect for him as well.

All one has to do is look at the schedule and see the packers final home game is televised on the NFL network. In this era of ratings, money, and advertising revenue, WHY would the Packers play their last home game of the season on NFL network, if it WAS NOT BRETT FAVRE'S LAST GAME.

The speculation and indecision was all a FRONT. For what, I am not sure, but pft.com's take that he (Favre) likes the media attention is probably right on track.

pft.com also predicts 9-7 with an outside shot at a playoff berth, so maybe my image of Brett will be restored by the end of the season. :mrgreen:

Fritz
04-26-2006, 11:07 AM
Oh, I guess if I were Will Whitticker, Scott Wells, or maybe Chris White or Junius Coston I might be a little bummed at Favre. But then I'd work my butt off to show the SOB that he was an idiot for thinking the o-line needed a huge overhaul. Whether that happens, who knows.

My guess is that there are some guys who are a little irked, but no one will speak out.

Rastak
04-26-2006, 11:12 AM
Oh, I guess if I were Will Whitticker, Scott Wells, or maybe Chris White or Junius Coston I might be a little bummed at Favre. But then I'd work my butt off to show the SOB that he was an idiot for thinking the o-line needed a huge overhaul. Whether that happens, who knows.

My guess is that there are some guys who are a little irked, but no one will speak out.

No one with any brains will speak out that is.

Patler
04-26-2006, 11:30 AM

I suspect he has lost some respect from some players. Favre has always had a "team first", "anything for the team" reputation. Right or wrong, the image he portrayed this off-season was all about Favre, what he wants, what is good for him. Some will respond negatively to that.

I for one am a bit confused by this whole saga. On the one hand Favre as much as says he won't play unless drastic changes are made. He openly speaks out about it with an aire of criticism for management and a suggestion that the team will remain bad without drastic changes. Anyone with any common sense should realize this to be a negative factor in drawing FAs to GB. Then, when FAs are mostly gone, and GB have made no big splash, Favre's intentions to return are released just a few days before the draft, at a time when uncertainty about his status might help the Packers a little in trades on draft day.

Who ever is responsible, be it Favre or the team, has really confused me with how it was handled. If it is Favre, everything he has done, and the timing of it, seems to have made the job of improving the roster even harder for TT.

Rastak
04-26-2006, 11:52 AM

I suspect he has lost some respect from some players. Favre has always had a "team first", "anything for the team" reputation. Right or wrong, the image he portrayed this off-season was all about Favre, what he wants, what is good for him. Some will respond negatively to that.

I for one am a bit confused by this whole saga. On the one hand Favre as much as says he won't play unless drastic changes are made. He openly speaks out about it with an aire of criticism for management and a suggestion that the team will remain bad without drastic changes. Anyone with any common sense should realize this to be a negative factor in drawing FAs to GB. Then, when FAs are mostly gone, and GB have made no big splash, Favre's intentions to return are released just a few days before the draft, at a time when uncertainty about his status might help the Packers a little in trades on draft day.

Who ever is responsible, be it Favre or the team, has really confused me with how it was handled. If it is Favre, everything he has done, and the timing of it, seems to have made the job of improving the roster even harder for TT.

I couldn't agree more. None of it makes an ounce of sense.

Homer Jay
04-26-2006, 03:34 PM
Pardon me if I don't take anything Mortenson says seriously. He is the same one who told us in February that he saw no chance of Brett Favre coming back. He is a media whore who will say anything to get face time. Morts adage is "Never let facts get in the way of a good scoop, just saying enough crap and eventually something will turn out to be true."

Kiwon
05-07-2006, 01:18 AM
Team harbors no ill will toward Favre

By Pete Dougherty
PackersNews.com

When quarterback Brett Favre wondered out loud this offseason whether General Manager Ted Thompson had done enough to upgrade the Green Bay Packers’ talent, he in effect was criticizing not only management but his teammates.

Justified or not, such public comments could turn some teammates against a starting quarterback.

But for several possible reasons, Favre’s questioning of the team’s talent doesn’t appear to have cost him much, if any, standing with his teammates as the Packers gathered Friday afternoon at the Don Hutson Center for their first minicamp practice of 2006.

Perhaps Favre has given enough to the team and teammates over the years that many colleagues won’t hold against him any honest concerns he expresses.

Perhaps some players agree with him.

And very likely others, even if they felt insulted, never would publicly rebuke a popular future Hall of Famer who’s the face of the franchise and the team’s unquestioned leader.

“I don’t want to say I agree or disagree with that,” cornerback Jason Horton said of Favre’s concerns about the Packers’ talent level. “I just say our record speaks for itself. We were 4-12. Whether it was personnel or coaching or whatever, we went 4-12.”

Favre hasn’t spoken publicly since telling Thompson on April 25 that he’s coming back for at least one more season. Favre is scheduled to have a press conference today, shortly after the morning practice.

Favre’s indecision about retiring was the major story around the team during the offseason.

His biggest reason for considering retirement was fear he’d endure another season like last year, when the team’s offensive talent was wrecked by injuries to halfback Ahman Green and receiver Javon Walker, among others. Favre threw 29 interceptions, and the Packers finished 4-12.

“If you take (Favre’s concerns) the wrong way, he’s probably talking about you,” cornerback Al Harris said.

Defensive end Mike Montgomery, a second-year pro, said: “I tried to come into this minicamp and step up my play. Try to be a better player for me and a better asset for this team, when you hear a remark like (Favre’s).à ¢â‚¬Â

I know this has been covered but I don't like to miss the chance to take a shot at some in the sports media who have a penchant for creating the news as much as reporting on it. Here's another example where Bob Wolfley and Chris Mortensen whiffed.

Common sense, after seeing #4 with his helmet on and ready to go, if you were a GB player, who else would you want to play QB for you in 2006? That Wolfley and Mortensen were anticipating trouble between Favre and the organization and Favre and the other players shows that they know little about both.

Packers4Ever
05-07-2006, 03:30 PM
Team harbors no ill will toward Favre

By Pete Dougherty
PackersNews.com

When quarterback Brett Favre wondered out loud this offseason whether General Manager Ted Thompson had done enough to upgrade the Green Bay Packers’ talent, he in effect was criticizing not only management but his teammates.

Justified or not, such public comments could turn some teammates against a starting quarterback.

But for several possible reasons, Favre’s questioning of the team’s talent doesn’t appear to have cost him much, if any, standing with his teammates as the Packers gathered Friday afternoon at the Don Hutson Center for their first minicamp practice of 2006.

Perhaps Favre has given enough to the team and teammates over the years that many colleagues won’t hold against him any honest concerns he expresses.

Perhaps some players agree with him.

And very likely others, even if they felt insulted, never would publicly rebuke a popular future Hall of Famer who’s the face of the franchise and the team’s unquestioned leader.

“I don’t want to say I agree or disagree with that,” cornerback Jason Horton said of Favre’s concerns about the Packers’ talent level. “I just say our record speaks for itself. We were 4-12. Whether it was personnel or coaching or whatever, we went 4-12.”

Favre hasn’t spoken publicly since telling Thompson on April 25 that he’s coming back for at least one more season. Favre is scheduled to have a press conference today, shortly after the morning practice.

Favre’s indecision about retiring was the major story around the team during the offseason.

His biggest reason for considering retirement was fear he’d endure another season like last year, when the team’s offensive talent was wrecked by injuries to halfback Ahman Green and receiver Javon Walker, among others. Favre threw 29 interceptions, and the Packers finished 4-12.

“If you take (Favre’s concerns) the wrong way, he’s probably talking about you,” cornerback Al Harris said.

Defensive end Mike Montgomery, a second-year pro, said: “I tried to come into this minicamp and step up my play. Try to be a better player for me and a better asset for this team, when you hear a remark like (Favre’s).à ¢â‚¬Â

I know this has been covered but I don't like to miss the chance to take a shot at some in the sports media who have a penchant for creating the news as much as reporting on it. Here's another example where Bob Wolfley and Chris Mortensen whiffed.

Common sense, after seeing #4 with his helmet on and ready to go, if you were a GB player, who else would you want to play QB for you in 2006? That Wolfley and Mortensen were anticipating trouble between Favre and the organization and Favre and the other players shows that they know little about both.

Kiwon, you're RIGHT ON in your last sentence. Who would know or
understand the man's feelings better (after family and friends) than the teammates he works with and sees every day. Surely not us !!

Talk is cheap.

GBRulz
05-07-2006, 10:43 PM
whatever happened to ESPN just reporting the news and not being drama queens trying to stir up controversy with everything?

Yes, I understand that everyone has an opinion, but frankly I am getting tired of even listening to their announcers period. What is being reported is more opinion based "journalism" than the actual story.

Bretsky
05-07-2006, 10:48 PM
whatever happened to ESPN just reporting the news and not being drama queens trying to stir up controversy with everything?

Yes, I understand that everyone has an opinion, but frankly I am getting tired of even listening to their announcers period. What is being reported is more opinion based "journalism" than the actual story.

They either have to stir things up or try to build their show around baseball; can't blame them for that.