PDA

View Full Version : Vikes

HarveyWallbangers
03-08-2007, 05:44 PM
Amusing. I guess it could be worse.

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/adamschein/2007/03/08/More_headscratchers_in_Minnesota

Is anyone else hurting their hands scratching their heads over what exactly the Vikings are doing?

First they sign Visanthe Shiancoe to a 5-year deal worth $18.2 million, with a ridiculous $7 million guaranteed.

Then they give Bobby Wade a 5-year, $15 million deal.

Yes, that’s the same Bobby Wade cut by the rival Bears in 2005.

In talking to Wade yesterday, even he confessed he was pleasantly surprised to get that cash!

As far as his role: "They run that basic West Coast offense. They run a lot of intermediate routes and want the run after the catch guys. They had an immediate need and I’m here to fill it. Also, I can be involved as a returner. I spent a lot of time with Brad Childress. I can play in the slot and get on people’s back side and make them miss. He also relayed that I could have a chance to compete for the number 2 slot or the number 1 position. I like what Coach Childress is doing, installing more discipline and bringing in more veterans and I am glad to be a part of it."

So Wade could be the go-to guy in Minnesota?

Yet another Rick Spielman special when it comes to personnel decisions.

esoxx
03-08-2007, 06:31 PM
Maybe they miss Fran Foley? Or was it Fred? Whatever.

All I know is I kept hearing how they were going to change their approach towards FA and build through the draft.

Guess they have a short attention span. :lol:

CaliforniaCheez
03-08-2007, 07:02 PM
It's not like they draft well and have young players to keep and spend the money on them.

The vikings are the lowest revenue team in football and cannot afford good personnel people.

Rastak
03-08-2007, 09:18 PM

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/adamschein/2007/03/08/More_headscratchers_in_Minnesota

Is anyone else hurting their hands scratching their heads over what exactly the Vikings are doing?

First they sign Visanthe Shiancoe to a 5-year deal worth $18.2 million, with a ridiculous $7 million guaranteed.

In talking to Wade yesterday, even he confessed he was pleasantly surprised to get that cash!

As far as his role: "They run that basic West Coast offense. They run a lot of intermediate routes and want the run after the catch guys. They had an immediate need and I’m here to fill it. Also, I can be involved as a returner. I spent a lot of time with Brad Childress. I can play in the slot and get on people’s back side and make them miss. He also relayed that I could have a chance to compete for the number 2 slot or the number 1 position. I like what Coach Childress is doing, installing more discipline and bringing in more veterans and I am glad to be a part of it."

I'll be honest, I have no f*cking clue what they are up to....

:cry:

Wade sucks, the TE might be okay, who the hell know since nobody ever heard of him.

The special teams guy was a good move......

That sums err up.........arrrrrggggggg!

swede
03-08-2007, 09:31 PM
There. At least the only thing we have to bitch about is nothing going on.

We haven't handed out 24 million over 6 years to Vishnay Coipitsnyu, the promising long snapper.

Spaulding
03-08-2007, 09:34 PM
Living in Minnesota I hear Viking talk all the time. It's amazing how much apathy now exists that Childress is coach. Fans outside the Cities seem to still be loyal which eventhough not the blessed Green Gold at least I have to give them props for not being fair-weather, anyways most Vikes fans I work with seem to just walk around with a WTF look on their face.

Should almost be a Mastercard ad - priceless.

Rastak
03-08-2007, 09:46 PM
Living in Minnesota I hear Viking talk all the time. It's amazing how much apathy now exists that Childress is coach. Fans outside the Cities seem to still be loyal which eventhough not the blessed Green Gold at least I have to give them props for not being fair-weather, anyways most Vikes fans I work with seem to just walk around with a WTF look on their face.

Should almost be a Mastercard ad - priceless.

Would it make you feel better if I acted like nothing was really happening like blind kool-aid fans? I only sip a small bit of kool-aid a day...

Should I turn into Tex from JSO, then I'll be a good fan? I just gave the damn team a grand for seats next year. I'd say that's pretty loyal, wouldn't you? Located in the heart of the city since the early sixties.....

I'm a optimist-realist like Harv......and I'm kinda bummed. Maybe the draft will turn things around.....

falco
03-08-2007, 09:48 PM
I'm a optimist-realist like Harv......and I'm kinda bummed. Maybe the draft will turn things around.....

Maybe you can draft the next superstar and have him blow out his knee in the minicamps.

Rastak
03-08-2007, 09:49 PM

Maybe you can draft the next superstar and have him blow out his knee in the minicamps.

Maybe Green Bay will have their starting QB pop an achilles in training camp?

Hard to say what sort of karma may happen next year.....

falco
03-08-2007, 09:50 PM

I don't know whats worse...having your first round pick not see a game all year because of injury, or having him ride the pine for going on 3 years...

Spaulding
03-08-2007, 09:52 PM
Sorry Rastak if the post was coming harsh as I admire Viking fans like yourself (not to mention I loved watching Foreman/Rashad/Bryant/etc. in the 70's when otherwise watching Barty Smith run for 30-40 yds a game was my highlight until Terdell the savior came along). It's just I used to live in the Cities and still remember that year in the 90's they were like either 3 and 0 or 5 and 0 and still not selling out home games. Just amazed me.

Rastak
03-08-2007, 09:55 PM

I don't know whats worse...having your first round pick not see a game all year because of injury, or having him ride the pine for going on 3 years...

At least Rodgers is healthy....obviously I hope Greenway is fine.....at least he got hurt very early......

Lurker64
03-08-2007, 09:56 PM
Look on the bright side Ras, you can look forward to getting a new coach after this year. That's generally good for a burst of optimism. Just think of it as "Captain Charisma is trying to leave the house in order for the next guy." Anybody promising going to be on the coaching market this offseason? Is Marty Schottenheimer available?

Fritz
03-09-2007, 10:20 AM

I'll be honest, I have no f*cking clue what they are up to....

:cry:

Wade sucks, the TE might be okay, who the hell know since nobody ever heard of him.

The special teams guy was a good move......

That sums err up.........arrrrrggggggg!

I believe this makes you highly qualified to be the next GM of the team, my friend, 'cuz it sure seems like they don't know, either.

mngolf19
03-09-2007, 12:43 PM
They are not breaking the bank with any of these moves. To give a guy 7M guaranteed over a 5 year contract is nothing nowadays. And I wouldn't call what they have been doing over the course of this year's FA going against their statement of "building through the draft this year". TE and LB are both special teams and depth for the roster. Wade is not going to be their #1 WR. I don't see any problems with it at all. Now if they go out and sign a big name FA for big cash, that would change things.

I still wonder why the Packers do little in FA. Obviously you have needs too. Can't expect to fill all of them through draft. And I would say that so far your team is a little less than last season, that could change of course. Vikes know they are not SB bound this season, just want to improve. Packers though should be trying to win while you still have a chance (Favre). It could be a long wait after that.

MJZiggy
03-09-2007, 01:57 PM
Hey, MN where you been?

mngolf19
03-09-2007, 02:45 PM
Hey, MN where you been?

Been working my tail off, hard to find time to get on here recently. But, I plan on getting here more often. Glad to know I was missed Zig. :wink: