PDA

View Full Version : FAAS

Joemailman
03-08-2007, 06:44 PM
It appears that in recent days many PackerRats have been inflicted with FAAS (Free Agent Anxiety Syndrome). This ailment occurs when fans of a National Football League team are overcome with stress due to their teams failure or refusal to sign high-priced free agents during the first week of free agency. This ailment occurs despite a lack of scientific evidence showing a correlation between spending gazillions on free agents, and winning the Super Bowl. The best known cures for FAAS are consuming large amounts of alcohol and/or constructing your own 7 round mock draft.

Charles Woodson
03-08-2007, 06:47 PM
What about consuming the achohal then doing the mock draft. Hmm i see Calvin round one, Quinn round two, Peterson round 3. You see the pattern

LEWCWA
03-08-2007, 06:51 PM
Personally I am glad they haven't jumped on some of these guys....I am not sold on A. Thomas....I would like to see them pick up Griffith and give it another shot on a saftey.

LEWCWA
03-08-2007, 06:52 PM
Maybe another o-lineman as well keep those young guys on their toes!

MJZiggy
03-08-2007, 06:52 PM
Might I suggest some soothing music. Pink Floyd (and all that goes with it) might be of help to some.

Lurker64
03-08-2007, 06:55 PM
What really needs to happen is for there to be a community of all those suffering from FAAS to get together and commiserate, no matter who they cheer for. That way, among the company of others, they can feel better.

Then again, that might result in fights over who gets to overpay for the next guy.

CaliforniaCheez
03-08-2007, 07:06 PM
It is easier to just lie like the vikings.

Every free agent was a great deal, their 7th round pick was the 7th best player in the draft, they are smarter than everyone else and headed for the superbowl etc.

GBRulz
03-08-2007, 07:49 PM
It is easier to just lie like the vikings.

Every free agent was a great deal, their 7th round pick was the 7th best player in the draft, they are smarter than everyone else and headed for the superbowl etc.

I like that one, Cheez !

Packnut
03-08-2007, 07:51 PM
What really needs to happen is for there to be a community of all those suffering from FAAS to get together and commiserate, no matter who they cheer for. That way, among the company of others, they can feel better.

Then again, that might result in fights over who gets to overpay for the next guy.

Yep, those other damn GM's paid way to much. Never mind that they filled some holes. Hey we may have Morency as our #1 RB and we can watch Manuel get beat like a step-child, but at least we can proudly say -"our GM did'nt over pay for anyone. I'm sure Brett's feeling real good about this up-coming season.............

Joemailman
03-08-2007, 08:02 PM

Yep, those other damn GM's paid way to much. Never mind that they filled some holes. Hey we may have Morency as our #1 RB and we can watch Manuel get beat like a step-child, but at least we can proudly say -"our GM did'nt over pay for anyone. I'm sure Brett's feeling real good about this up-coming season.............

This a rather severe case of FAAS, :shock:

TennesseePackerBacker
03-08-2007, 08:18 PM
Might I suggest some soothing music. Pink Floyd (and all that goes with it) might be of help to some.

and all that goes with it certainly cures the blues for me :wink:

gureski
03-08-2007, 09:46 PM

The more I look at what's happened, the more I realize that this is just a weak class of free agents. It was hyped as well as any other year but in truth, it's just weak.

Is there really anything that has been taken that any of us are heartbroken not to have? Honestly? I can't say there is a single guy that was signed that really bummed me out to see go. For every guy that was signed I've watched fellow fans just spout out the next guy on the list that's just as good and you know what?.....from where I'm sitting the names still on the list are still just as good as alot of the names people are frustrated we didn't sign!

Didn't get Graham so people moved to McMichael and E.Johnson. Didn't get McMichael or E.Johnson and now people are looking at J.Stevens. If they don't get Stevens then maybe people will look at C.Fauria or another guy....Is it really that big of a deal when you look at the talent? It's not like the Packers missed out on Gonzalez or Gates. It was Daniel Graham for crying out loud! Injured Eric Johnson and washed up Randy McMichael! Why get upset over not spending money on guys like that?

I could go on and on and pick apart other positions that have people upset like RB but I think I made my point. Right now everyone is just coming to terms with the fact that this is simply a weak free agent class when it comes to impact players. There are just alot of good role players and frankly....why overpay for role players?

Lurker64
03-08-2007, 09:53 PM
I could go on and on and pick apart other positions that have people upset like RB but I think I made my point. Right now everyone is just coming to terms with the fact that this is simply a weak free agent class when it comes to impact players. There are just alot of good role players and frankly....why overpay for role players?

Exactly. The role players you get in the third week of free agency aren't really much worse than the role players you get in the first week of free agency. The guys who go in the first week might be 5% better, but they end up getting paid 100% more. You're better off not signing a guy who's 5% better but costs twice as much so when there's an actual difference maker on the market, you can actually afford to write him a blank check.

I can't see a single player in free agency this year that could be honestly labeled a "difference maker" or an "impact player." For goodness sakes, Nate Clements got 10 million dollars a year for being Buffalo's second best CB. A guy isn't necessarily worth the going rate even if he's the best at his position on the market. It's a long free agency, and important moves get made in May and June just as often as they do in March.