PDA

View Full Version : Packers next RB? Reuben Droughns?

gbpackfan
03-08-2007, 07:33 PM
Packers | Interest in Droughns?
Thu, 8 Mar 2007 16:26:22 -0800

Adam Schefter, of NFL Network, reports if the Cleveland Browns release RB Reuben Droughns, the Green Bay Packers could make a push to sign him.

Browns | Droughns to be released
Thu, 8 Mar 2007 16:15:25 -0800

Adam Schefter, of NFL Network, reports Cleveland Browns RB Reuben Droughns will be released.

digitaldean
03-08-2007, 07:37 PM
If THIS is the first signing TT makes, then I will be upset.

We lost a chance at a whole slew of FAs. So Reuben Droughns would be the first?

Yippee skip.. :roll:

gbpackfan
03-08-2007, 07:38 PM
Wouldn't be a bad signing if it were a one or two year deal and we drafted a RB early. Here are some numbers

'04 - As a member of the Broncos he ran for 1240 yards, 6 TDs and had 32 receptions.

'05 - Now with Cleveland, he ran for 1232 yards, 2 TDs and had 39 receptions.

'06 - Ran for 758 yards, 4 TDs and had 27 receptions.

He is durable too. Only missed 2 games the past three years. Knows the ZBS and is only 28. Still has a couple good years left in him. Thoughts?

gbpackfan
03-08-2007, 07:40 PM
If THIS is the first signing TT makes, then I will be upset.

We lost a chance at a whole slew of FAs. So Reuben Droughns would be the first?

Yippee skip.. :roll:

Which RB would have been better? He put up some decent numbers. Is he the ultimate solution? No. But he's younger then Green and Lewis, fits the scheme better then Henry and Rhodes, and is more durable then Brown.

digitaldean
03-08-2007, 07:43 PM
Totally forgot about his stint in Denver and his experience with ZBS. :oops:

Not a top tier guy, but would be OK. Hopefully Griffith and Grant can get signed.

Packnut
03-08-2007, 07:46 PM
At least he should be cheap. Then again, ya get what ya pay for.........

packers11
03-08-2007, 07:47 PM
I'd rather would have had Henry... Even Rhodes would be better than him...

Lynch, Ruben , Morency... Decent I Guess...

SkinBasket
03-08-2007, 08:04 PM
I'd be much more excited about him than Rhodes or Lewis or even Henry. Hell, I like him better than if Green had resigned. Of course, it's all idle talk until the release happens. I'm sure they'll look for a trade first.

MJZiggy
03-08-2007, 08:07 PM
Good. They can have Ferguson. Straight up trade.

gbpackfan
03-08-2007, 08:08 PM
Skin,

I believe they have already tried a trade, they got no takers. It is pretty clear that he is going to be released. But things can change. And I agree, he is a better option then a lot of guys that were talked about. Just because he wasted away in Cleveland the past two seasons doesnt mean he is a bad player. Teamed up with Lynch and Morency, he could be very good.

SkinBasket
03-08-2007, 08:23 PM
Skin,

I believe they have already tried a trade, they got no takers. It is pretty clear that he is going to be released. But things can change. And I agree, he is a better option then a lot of guys that were talked about. Just because he wasted away in Cleveland the past two seasons doesnt mean he is a bad player. Teamed up with Lynch and Morency, he could be very good.

I thought things might change with the signing of Lewis. In other words, they'll be looking for much less in a trade, but you never know. I think that with the addition of someone like R&D could eliminate the need for a RB in the first round (allowing the drafting of Nelson).

TPF
03-09-2007, 07:11 AM
I'll have him over Henry or Brown. He's young, durable, and experienced.

retailguy
03-09-2007, 08:20 AM
Good. They can have Ferguson. Straight up trade.

Why would they WANT him?

MJZiggy
03-09-2007, 08:33 AM
Maybe they haven't seen him play? :wink:

Zool
03-09-2007, 08:53 AM
You have to be on the field for other teams to see you play. Turd Ferguson might yet have some value if he can just stay off the field.

Merlin
03-09-2007, 09:32 AM
I was high on Droughns in 2004 when he was with Denver. I thought they treated him like crap and I was happy that he got out of there. I thought he would do well for a decent team, unfortunately he went to the Browns who outside of Dilfer in 2005 really had no offense because of Winslow and his bonehead move. He still rushed for 1,000 yards but he only scored something like 2 or 3 rushing tds. I would be happy with a play for him at the right price. Coming off of injury you would think that he could be had for 2 mil or less given that two teams "gave up" on him already.

He has experience in the ZBS, he hangs onto the ball and he is a solid back. Weather or not he can stay healthy or not is my biggest concern. Remember that we got Green for Hasselbeck (I think anyway) and at that time Hasselbeck was a backup and Green was a fumble machine. That worked out well for us. Take a shot, we have nothing to really lose with a move for Droughns.

Partial
03-09-2007, 09:43 AM
I was high on Droughns in 2004 when he was with Denver. I thought they treated him like crap and I was happy that he got out of there. I thought he would do well for a decent team, unfortunately he went to the Browns who outside of Dilfer in 2005 really had no offense because of Winslow and his bonehead move. He still rushed for 1,000 yards but he only scored something like 2 or 3 rushing tds. I would be happy with a play for him at the right price. Coming off of injury you would think that he could be had for 2 mil or less given that two teams "gave up" on him already.

He has experience in the ZBS, he hangs onto the ball and he is a solid back. Weather or not he can stay healthy or not is my biggest concern. Remember that we got Green for Hasselbeck (I think anyway) and at that time Hasselbeck was a backup and Green was a fumble machine. That worked out well for us. Take a shot, we have nothing to really lose with a move for Droughns.

We got Green for Fred Vinson and a late round pick (6th I believe).

Hasselback was packaged along with our 17th pick for Seattles 10th pick and a 3rd.

Merlin
03-09-2007, 09:51 AM
I couldn't remember, I thought the deals were around the same time. Fred Vinson....LOL how'd that work out...hahaha

Packnut
03-09-2007, 09:54 AM
It look's like Rueben will be the only RB left. He should come at the right price. The Giants might also be in the running for him.

Partial
03-09-2007, 09:58 AM
I couldn't remember, I thought the deals were around the same time. Fred Vinson....LOL how'd that work out...hahaha

Recently Fred Vinson applied for a position underneath one of the posters on our board. He interviewed him if I remember correctly. I believe it was in Georgia.

woodbuck27
03-09-2007, 12:24 PM
# 34 Reuben Droughns Position: RB Height: 5-11 Weight: 220
Born: 08/21/1978 College: Oregon NFL Experience: 8

Rushing

Year Team G GS Att Yds Avg Lg TD 20+ 1st
2000 Detroit Lions 0 0 0 0 --- 0 0 0 0
2001 Detroit Lions 9 3 30 72 2.4 15 0 0 3
2002 Denver Broncos 16 0 4 11 2.8 9 1 0 1
2003 Denver Broncos 15 4 6 14 2.3 12 0 0 1
2004 Denver Broncos 16 15 275 1240 4.5 51 6 8 69
2005 Cleveland Browns 16 16 309 1232 4.0 75 2 7 60
2006 Cleveland Browns 14 12 220 758 3.4 22 4 1 38

Not a bad RB once he got his shot.

Anyone.

What happened that he dropped off last season? 758 yards in 12 starts and only a 3.4 yard average.

He doesn't break many runs, but how's he in short yardage situations?

gureski
03-09-2007, 01:18 PM
First, to answer the question of what happened in Cleveland last year.....that entire offense was doomed! Their O-Line was ravaged in training camp. They had no passing game. Teams keyed in on the run. Combine that with other injuries (some to Droughns), an offensive coordinator that was horrendous, and inexperience at key positions like QB and WR and it's amazing the Browns had a rusher hit the 700 yard mark. It wasn't Droughns fault his stats sucked last year.

The problem I have with Droughns is that I see no future at all with him. I see him and it reminds me of Michael Haddux from the late 80's/early 90's. Droughns just isn't the answer to anything long-term. The best thing I can say about him is that in Denver he started as a FB and then played HB. In GB he could be productive in 2 back sets but I absolutely don't want him as our leading rusher. It's just depressing to think about. It's not that Droughns would be that bad for one year....it's more about the fact that the RB position would be no better then last year and the team would be no closer to finding their RB of the future. I guess I'm saying there is no promise with a Droughns signing. I don't want a starting RB that has no promise unless the guy is in a back up role. As a role player, Droughns would be a great pick up. As the main back or a 50-50 platoon guy......I'm not interested.

woodbuck27
03-09-2007, 01:22 PM
OK.

Packnut
03-09-2007, 01:31 PM
First, to answer the question of what happened in Cleveland last year.....that entire offense was doomed! Their O-Line was ravaged in training camp. They had no passing game. Teams keyed in on the run. Combine that with other injuries (some to Droughns), an offensive coordinator that was horrendous, and inexperience at key positions like QB and WR and it's amazing the Browns had a rusher hit the 700 yard mark. It wasn't Droughns fault his stats sucked last year.

The problem I have with Droughns is that I see no future at all with him. I see him and it reminds me of Michael Haddux from the late 80's/early 90's. Droughns just isn't the answer to anything long-term. The best thing I can say about him is that in Denver he started as a FB and then played HB. In GB he could be productive in 2 back sets but I absolutely don't want him as our leading rusher. It's just depressing to think about. It's not that Droughns would be that bad for one year....it's more about the fact that the RB position would be no better then last year and the team would be no closer to finding their RB of the future. I guess I'm saying there is no promise with a Droughns signing. I don't want a starting RB that has no promise unless the guy is in a back up role. As a role player, Droughns would be a great pick up. As the main back or a 50-50 platoon guy......I'm not interested.

The problem we have that some here are in denial about is that as things stand now, our running game is gonna be as bad as last season. Anyone who expects Spitz and Colledge this soon to take gigantic leaps are just fooling themselves. Without a good RB, Brett will have to throw the ball 35 times a game AGAIN. Nothings changed. Very few rookies make an impact so to hope for significant help from the draft for this season is just plain dumb

gureski
03-09-2007, 01:36 PM
How can you say very few rookies make an impact?

Just off the top of my head now....seriously no reasearch...just from last year...look at these rookie RB's

J.Addai, L.Maroney, Williams from Carolina, Mike Bell from Denver, and Drew from Jacksonville was a stud.

You absolutely CAN get rookie RB's that contribute in the draft and you do not have to get them in the first round.

Now, if you wanted to say rookie WR's.....then I'd go along with you as most rookie WR's do not have an impact and are overstated but in the position we're talking about (RB) I do believe the Packers could get a young guy that could make an impact. Kenny Irons, to be specific, is my idea of a great 2nd round pick or a 3d round steal.

And one last thing to add....the O-line as a whole, and individually will be better AT THE VERY LEAST because they've had a full year and off-season in the ZBS. Knowing the offense you're in is always a big advantage. For a young player, not having to think about assignments and being able to concentrate more on your technique is a huge deal. The running game can be better. Just not with Droughns leading the way.

Ballboy
03-09-2007, 01:54 PM
He may not be the long term answer, but with him and possibly drafting a RB in the early rounds for two or three years down the road would be great!!

Bossman641
03-09-2007, 01:58 PM
I'd have no problem with picking up Droughns. He's certainly not gonna be our back of the future, but at least he is a stopgap.

It's looking more and more like Lynch will be gone at 16. A Droughns/Morency combo beats the hell outta Morency/Herron. Then we could draft a guy in the 3rd/4th round and give him some time to adjust. I know RB's can come in and adjust to the NFL, but you can't count on that happening. I don't much about the later RB's but a couple I'm intrigued by are Brandon Jackson outta Nebraska and Kolby Smith from Louisville.

woodbuck27
03-09-2007, 02:07 PM
Green Bay Running Back

A. Green, GONE

Number 1 RB on Depth Chart is Vernand Morency.

# 34 Vernand Morency Position: RB Height: 5-9 Weight: 212
Born: 02/04/1980 College: Oklahoma State NFL Experience: 3

Rushing

Year.. Team... G... GS.. Att.. Yds... Avg... Lg... TD 20+ 1st
05... Texans.. 12... 1... 46.. 184... 4.0... 25.... 2... 1... 7
06... Packers.. 14... 2.. 96... 434... 4.5... 39.... 2... 4.. 26
TOTAL......... 26... 3.. 142.. 618... 4.4... 39.... 4... 5.. 33

Receiving

Year.. Team... G.. GS.. Rec... Yds... Avg.. Lg.. TD.. 20+.. 40+... 1st
05... Texans.. 12.. 1... 10..... 87... 8.7... 16... 0.... 0....... 0...... 5
06... Packers.. 14...2... 17... 118... 6.9... 29... 0.... 1....... 0...... 4
TOTAL 26 3 27 205 7.6 29 0 1 0 9

Number two is N. Herron.
Number three is P. Pope.

Fullback
W. Henderson, #33 GONE
B. Miree, #40

Our backfield is certainly inexperienced.

It would be pure speculation that those RB's we currently have on OUR roster will help to produce a solid running game in 2007.

Vernand Morency will be getting his real shot in 2007 and in his third season. How many believe truly trust he's a feature back?

My conclusion:

A running game that was amonst the poorest in the NFL last season took a blow with the loss of Ahman Green.For anyone to claim confidence in what remains. . .

I don't need to go on.

Guiness
03-09-2007, 02:21 PM

I think I must be alone in not liking Rhodes. Sure, he had a big game on the biggest stage of all, but I think Addai did all the heavy lifting. IMO Rhodes is a a slightly below average back.

Charles Woodson
03-09-2007, 02:23 PM

I think I must be alone in not liking Rhodes. Sure, he had a big game on the biggest stage of all, but I think Addai did all the heavy lifting. IMO Rhodes is a a slightly below average back.

Well if it was between Rhodes and Morency or Herron, id have to say that id take rhodes

bigcoz75
03-09-2007, 03:06 PM
Droughns traded to NY Giants for WR Carter reported on Sirius radio and NFL network

It could have been Fergy... :lol:

First link I've found so far http://mvn.com/nfl-giants/