View Full Version : Deon Grant Signed.

chain_gang
03-09-2007, 06:30 AM
Didn't see this posted yet.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2792518

Deon Grant signed with Seattle.

CaliforniaCheez
03-09-2007, 06:50 AM
He is not worth double Sharper's salary.

So many of these teams are going to have to explain themselves to their own players next year which will lead to trouble.

Obviously the smart guys that built up that franchise are no longer in the front office.

Bretsky
03-09-2007, 07:04 AM
:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

I thought Sharper got 15-16 MIL for four years

He just got 30 MIL for six years.

Not that out of line for the current market

TT is just choosing not to accept it

We may have a huge loot of cash to sign a bunch of reserves

Or we can sign another stud late and front load the entire deal with the goal of using up a ton of cap space right away rather than signing several players with that same cap figure like we did last year

CaliforniaCheez
03-09-2007, 07:12 AM
If the Packers paid that money the guy would be second to Brett for 2007.

There is no reason to bemoan this deal but credit Ted for holding team unity and not infecting the team with contract envy.

The more Ted holds his water (a lot better than the impatient Sherman) the more I appreciate his nerves of steel.

Keep holding the line Ted. It will really pay off next off season.

Bretsky
03-09-2007, 07:14 AM
If the Packers paid that money the guy would be second to Brett for 2007.

There is no reason to bemoan this deal but credit Ted for holding team unity and not infecting the team with contract envy.

The more Ted holds his water a lot better than the impatient Sherman the more I appreciate his nerves of steel.

Keep holding the line Ted. It will really pay off next off season.

I think it may pay off in seasons down the road

I'm not at all convinced it will pay off next year; read what I added to the before post. That may be the approach TT is taking again this year.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-09-2007, 07:24 AM
:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

I thought Sharper got 15-16 MIL for four years

He just got 30 MIL for six years.

Not that out of line for the current market

TT is just choosing not to accept it

We may have a huge loot of cash to sign a bunch of reserves

Or we can sign another stud late and front load the entire deal with the goal of using up a ton of cap space right away rather than signing several players with that same cap figure like we did last year

That would be a perfect deal for Hamlin. Come on TT he's one of the best free agents................

CaliforniaCheez
03-09-2007, 07:25 AM
As to Bretsky's signature

Cullen Jenkins
Donald Lee
Rob Davis
Tracy White

Are all legitimate Free Agents as they will make the final roster.

Watch out for that FAAS.

Ted knows the price for guys out of work like Hamlin will go down.

Bretsky
03-09-2007, 07:40 AM
As to Bretsky's signature

Cullen Jenkins
Donald Lee
Rob Davis
Tracy White

Are all legitimate Free Agents as they will make the final roster.
Watch out for that FAAS.
Ted knows the price for guys out of work like Hamlin will go down.

I've qualified this a few times as legit outside free agents.
Jenkins was signed before free agency; I think Davis as well.

I like Lee, but he may not make the team; ditto for White. TT actually cut him and brought him back in once last year.

I hope I don't have this sig til the start of next year :lol:

MJZiggy
03-09-2007, 07:51 AM
Why do they have to be outside free agents if these guys could do a better job of helping the team? I can't think of a better fit than Jenkins. Can you?

Rastak
03-09-2007, 07:55 AM
Maybe TT is keeping 10 mil around to pay Moss this year?

Charles Woodson
03-09-2007, 09:26 AM
Maybe TT is keeping 10 mil around to pay Moss this year?

Thats one thing i am hoping for. I know theres not much chance right now that the moss trade goes down, but im hoping that tt is keeping most of his money for moss.

Partial
03-09-2007, 09:37 AM
Jesus, he was overpaid big time. These guys are all going to be cap casualties in two years. Grant is the one guy I wanted. Boo.

gureski
03-09-2007, 10:06 AM
Being that I felt Grant would've been the perfect fit for us at safety, the only good thing about this news is that it's that much less money Seattle will have to make a pitch for Stevens.

Partial
03-09-2007, 10:07 AM
Being that I felt Grant would've been the perfect fit for us at safety, the only good thing about this news is that it's that much less money Seattle will have to make a pitch for Stevens.

My thoughts exactly.

Bretsky
03-09-2007, 06:54 PM
Why do they have to be outside free agents if these guys could do a better job of helping the team? I can't think of a better fit than Jenkins. Can you?

Because those were the rules :lol:

Does Lee, Davis, and White even qualify as guys who would do a better job helping the team anyways ?

I praised TT plenty for Jenkins; now it's time for him to move on, come out of the shell, and try to cross the street.

HarveyWallbangers
03-09-2007, 06:58 PM
I'm swinging back to Bretsky's side on this. I'm totally cool with not going wild in FA, but we had a clear need for a few spots, and solid guys signed for money that wasn't exorbinant. You have to use all facets to acquire players, and this has gotten ridiculous. We won't be able to fill all of the needs in the draft, and there is hardly a player worth signing now. If we go into the season with extra cash, I'm going to be pissed. We can all hope guys become available this offseason, but has Thompson shown he'll even go after those guys? No. This is friggin' frustrating. I know Thompson is looking to hit on guys like Taco Wallace, but how about doing anything in the early part of FA. Not all of these guys are signing for big money elsewhere. This blows!

MJZiggy
03-09-2007, 07:03 PM

Does Lee, Davis, and White even qualify as guys who would do a better job helping the team anyways ?

I praised TT plenty for Jenkins; now it's time for him to move on, come out of the shell, and try to cross the street.

Depends. Lee Davis and White compared to whom? And remember, when turtles try to cross the street, they tend to get run over a lot. We have holes to fill, I'm interested to see how they get filled. Maybe some of the guys who think TT is not playing around in FA in order to make sure he can pay Moss are right...we will see.

B, I was right. I should have sent that medication.... :P

HarveyWallbangers
03-09-2007, 07:05 PM
If the chose is Moss or Grant, Griffith, McMichael, and our 3rd pick, I'm choosing the later. This is a crock. We can afford Moss, an extension for Barnett, and a couple of these other guys without killing our long-term cap.

MJZiggy
03-09-2007, 07:09 PM
At least he's started bringing people in. I wonder if the Griffith signing was about the benjamins or the fahrenheit. I wonder what Davis is telling these people.

Bretsky
03-09-2007, 07:18 PM

Depends. Lee Davis and White compared to whom? And remember, when turtles try to cross the street, they tend to get run over a lot. We have holes to fill, I'm interested to see how they get filled. Maybe some of the guys who think TT is not playing around in FA in order to make sure he can pay Moss are right...we will see.

B, I was right. I should have sent that medication.... :P

IF the turtle would get run over trying to cross the street as least he'd be trying to move :lol:

Maybe TT is saving the lood for Moss; is there any other explanation ?

Or maybe he'll do a frontloaded deal or two rather than signing several players that could help to normal deals.

Bretsky
03-09-2007, 07:19 PM
At least he's started bringing people in. I wonder if the Griffith signing was about the benjamins or the fahrenheit. I wonder what Davis is telling these people.

Wonder what TT is telling these agents; wait, wonder if he's talking to them ?

Good idea Zig; send medication !!

red
03-09-2007, 07:41 PM
guys, the new market rate for nfl players has just been set

people need to stop saying, all the free agents are grossly overpaid.

thats what the going rate is, and guess what, its not going to reverse itself.

average players will now make as much if not more then what you're seeing now.

nick barnett probably could have been signed to a modest contract this last season. now the going rate for an above average MLB is going to be around a 50 or 60 million dollar deal

deal with it, thats the way it is now

if we are unwilling to except that the cost of players contracts has just doubled in the last year. then we will never sign another player. we'll be left with draft picks that we never resign

thats the way it is. if you want a decent player, you'll have to pay him 4 or 5 million a year

retailguy
03-09-2007, 07:59 PM
guys, the new market rate for nfl players has just been set

people need to stop saying, all the free agents are grossly overpaid.

thats what the going rate is, and guess what, its not going to reverse itself.

average players will now make as much if not more then what you're seeing now.

nick barnett probably could have been signed to a modest contract this last season. now the going rate for an above average MLB is going to be around a 50 or 60 million dollar deal

deal with it, thats the way it is now

if we are unwilling to except that the cost of players contracts has just doubled in the last year. then we will never sign another player. we'll be left with draft picks that we never resign

thats the way it is. if you want a decent player, you'll have to pay him 4 or 5 million a year

It's NOT TRUE, RED. They're overpaid. Otherwise GOD would be signing them up for Green Bay. It's not like we don't need some help... They MUST be overpaid. Ted said so.

MJZiggy
03-09-2007, 08:07 PM
Wait. I don't remember Ted ever saying that. Everyone else did, but I don't remember hearing it from him.

CaliforniaCheez
03-09-2007, 08:17 PM
If the free agents signed during the first week were not overpaid, they cetainly were paid beyond the Packers budget.

There are months of free agency and hundreds of free agents.

MJZiggy
03-09-2007, 08:24 PM
Wonder what TT is telling these agents; wait, wonder if he's talking to them ?

Good idea Zig; send medication !!

Ok, but I thought you were getting "medicated" tomorrow. Then again, if the Badgers lose, I'll have to FedEx it.

Charles Woodson
03-09-2007, 08:38 PM
If the free agents signed during the first week were not overpaid, they cetainly were paid beyond the Packers budget.

There are months of free agency and hundreds of free agents.

But how many of the remaining FA's will actually do much. At least a few of the overpaid ones were good

retailguy
03-09-2007, 08:57 PM
Wait. I don't remember Ted ever saying that. Everyone else did, but I don't remember hearing it from him.

Actions speak louder than words.