PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Match for WR issue

Spaulding
03-09-2007, 08:23 AM
KFFL is reporting the following:

Eagles | Stallworth might go for one-year deal
Fri, 9 Mar 2007 02:16:07 -0800

Les Bowen, of the Philadelphia Daily News, reports agent Drew Rosenhaus and unrestricted free-agent WR Donte' Stallworth (Eagles) might decide to go for a one-year deal and then attack free agency again next year. There doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in the former Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver at the $10 million-to-$15 million guaranteed-money level that Rosenhaus apparently envisioned.

Given this I'd love to see us rent Stallworth for a year and maximize possibly Brett's last year. No loss of draft picks, little risk if Donte washes out due to substance abuse program, etc.

Although I wouldn't mind seeing Moss in Green and Gold to see what he and Favre could do, this seems to be a much better option with far less risk.

retailguy
03-09-2007, 08:30 AM
I think our need for a "starter material" WR dimmed a bit when we let Green go.

Since we don't have a "top flight" back, "beefing" up the WR core, could be a waste of time. They'll be no need to put an 8th man in the box to stop the run, so that defender will be available for coverage responsibilities negating the benefit of the talent.

Quite honestly, if there isn't a solution to the RB problem we might as well just resign ourselves to letting the young guys develop.

If the plan is to build long-term, that's the more prudent course of action.

But make no mistake, I'd rather win now, because I think with a few plugged holes, THEY CAN.

Obviously, the Green Bay Packers disagree with me - and you.

Ballboy
03-09-2007, 08:39 AM
Isn't this guy going to be suspended for a couple games?

Why would we want that again?

Spaulding
03-09-2007, 09:50 AM
As far as I know he's not yet subject to suspension. Only part of the program due to past trangressions and thus forced to take additional random tests.

woodbuck27
03-09-2007, 09:58 AM

Since we don't have a "top flight" back, "beefing" up the WR core, could be a waste of time. They'll be no need to put an 8th man in the box to stop the run, so that defender will be available for coverage responsibilities negating the benefit of the talent.

Quite honestly, if there isn't a solution to the RB problem we might as well just resign ourselves to letting the young guys develop.

But make no mistake, I'd rather win now, because I think with a few plugged holes, THEY CAN.

On the whole I agree with your thoughts retailguy.

I'd add this only in an attempt to lend to OUR understanding:

Is it too early to see what Ted Thompson's PLAN is for 2007? Has it got anything to do with wining now?

Based on recent appeareances. This will be a season for the team's coaching staff to take stock and bring back as much $ as possible to the CAP space.

If that's it?

Why waste alot of CAP space on an expensive WR when the running game was bad last season and may get worse in 2007? Without strength in an ability to run the ball opposing defenses will have little difficulty defending against a pass oriented offense.

I feel that the loss of Ahman Green and his knowledge and experience in OUR system was significant.

For fans hoping for us to take a step forward in 2007, the loss of Ahman Green and TT's obvious decision not to go forward with a back-up plan to acquire a proven RB for 2007 is certainly significant. These are difficult times for fans hungry for OUR team to be truly competitive.For those of us that felt we could get there with a few solid additions in this off season.

For those fans that remain optimistic for OUR success in this season. I commend all of you.

It appears to me that Ted Thompson is still looking beyond 2007?

GO Packers !

Partial
03-09-2007, 09:59 AM
Maybe he is going to lock Barnett up for 1 mil per year for 5 years and give him 20 mil up front in 2007? :lol: :lol: :lol:

woodbuck27
03-09-2007, 10:02 AM
Maybe he is going to lock Barnett up for 1 mil per year for 5 years and give him 20 mil up front in 2007? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hopefully TT learned something about that from the Javon Walker issue.

gureski
03-09-2007, 10:11 AM
How is Stallworth anywhere near the type of player we'd want on the Packers next year?

He's consistantly injured and has had attitude problems with teammates, coaches, and the front office throughout his career.

He's precisely the kind of guy I hope the Packers stay away from. He's a cancer. He's not a team player. Why bring in a guy who isn't in it for the long-haul? He will do more damage while he's here auditioning for his next gig then he will do anything to help the team.

Partial
03-09-2007, 10:13 AM
How is Stallworth anywhere near the type of player we'd want on the Packers next year?

He's consistantly injured and has had attitude problems with teammates, coaches, and the front office throughout his career.

He's precisely the kind of guy I hope the Packers stay away from. He's a cancer. He's not a team player. Why bring in a guy who isn't in it for the long-haul? He will do more damage while he's here auditioning for his next gig then he will do anything to help the team.

Yep, but the anti-TT folk look Redskins with envy and want to make a move merely for the sake of making of move. Very few of the FA would have made much of a difference this year, and the few premiere ones would have been a waste of money based on their positions.

retailguy
03-09-2007, 10:17 AM
Yep, but the anti-TT folk look Redskins with envy and want to make a move merely for the sake of making of move. Very few of the FA would have made much of a difference this year, and the few premiere ones would have been a waste of money based on their positions.

Partial, this is BS and you know it.... Nobody is asking for the Redskins. We're asking for some holes to be plugged with starter material. Doesn't have to be "idiot deals".

There are better guys out there than there are on the roster.

Partial
03-09-2007, 10:20 AM

Partial, this is BS and you know it.... Nobody is asking for the Redskins. We're asking for some holes to be plugged with starter material. Doesn't have to be "idiot deals".

There are better guys out there than there are on the roster.

Respond to my post where I went through and listed the premium free agents.

retailguy
03-09-2007, 10:24 AM

Quite honestly, it's not worth a response.

Partial
03-09-2007, 10:37 AM

Quite honestly, it's not worth a response.

It's a brilliant post. If you want to be a TT critic than you should be able to answer all the tough questions.

woodbuck27
03-09-2007, 11:39 AM

The anti-TT folk,mmmm. :)

Who are these fans?

Ted Thompson has been OUR GM for going on three seasons. Since he arrived OUR record has been a combined 12W and 20L.

Talented footbal players just don't arrive in Green Bay and lend support for success. It's up to Ted Thompson to secure that, by always trying to make the Packers more competitive.

I agree that Ted Thompson had to get the Packer house in order. He had to get OUR CAP space in order. We see that burdened by the fact of two successive poor seasons. Yet with promise in 2006 of a better 2007.

We had alot 0f CAP space in 2006. We may agree on gains with the additions of CB Charles Woodson and DT Ryan Pickett as this past season unfolded.We are pleased that TT resigned Aaron Kampman after we almost fumbled him away, and extended Cullen Jenkins and Al Harris recently.

Not attempting to beat a dead horse here but to gan insight.

Ted Thompson elected to resign Ahman Green for only one season. He worked his tail off to recondition and help OUR running game, that wasn't as a whole very good but can we fault Ahman Green, his work ethic?

I don't believe so.

Wouldn't it have been more prudent for Ted Thompson to re-sign Ahman Green for two or three seasons? He'd be what. . .33 years old then.

Was there too much risk for Ted Thompson to make that move happen last off season?

I have always maintained that Ted Thompson isnt the known quality at GM that many here believe he is. Evidence that he's a GM in training.

I am certain that Ted Thompson is in charge and that he's OUR immediate future. I suspect that's not a constant.

It's my position that a GM has to have a plan that is based on two ideals. Proper operation that includes a sound economic policy and with success measured based on a PLAN.

The evidence of not getting that second part right is clear. Packer fan appreciation is in a downspin as OUR team remains uncompetitive, yet, ticket prices are rising.

How long has Ted Thompson got to get it all together? See above.

Is there one member of this board that's truly anti -Ted Thompson? Don't we all want him to succeed within certain time frames? Should we TRUST that will in fact be the case?

NO !!

I participate in this forum, scratch my head trying to understand Ted Thompson and his style of managing. I'm a Packer fan 365 days a year.

I sincerely hope for, want him to succeed. :)

GO Packers !

cheesner
03-09-2007, 12:32 PM

Who are these fans?

Ted Thompson has been OUR GM for going on three seasons. Since he arrived OUR record has been a combined 12W and 20L.

Talented footbal players just don't arrive in Green Bay and lend support for success. It's up to Ted Thompson to secure that, by always trying to make the Packers more competitive.

I agree that Ted Thompson had to get the Packer house in order. He had to get OUR CAP space in order. We see that burdened by the fact of two successive poor seasons. Yet with promise in 2006 of a better 2007.

We had alot 0f CAP space in 2006. We may agree on gains with the additions of CB Charles Woodson and DT Ryan Pickett as this past season unfolded.We are pleased that TT resigned Aaron Kampman after we almost fumbled him away, and extended Cullen Jenkins and Al Harris recently.

Ted Thompson elected to resign Ahman Green for only one season. He worked his tail off to recondition and help OUR running game, that wasn't as a whole very good but can we fault Ahman Green, his work ethic?

I don't believe so.

Wouldn't it have been more prudent for Ted Thompson to re-sign Ahman Green for two or three seasons? He'd be what. . .33 years old then.

Was there too much risk for Ted Thompson to make that move happen last off season?

I have always maintained that Ted Thompson isnt the known quality at GM that many here believe he is. Evidence that he's a GM in training.

I am certain that Ted Thompson is in charge and that he's OUR immediate future. I suspect that's not a constant.

It's my position that a GM has to have a plan that is based on two ideals. Proper operation that includes a sound economic policy and with success measured based on a PLAN.

The evidence of not getting that second part right is clear. Packer fan appreciation is in a downspin as OUR team remains uncompetitive, yet, ticket prices are rising.

Is there one member of this board that's truly anti -Ted Thompson? Don't we all want him to succeed within certain time frames? Should we TRUST that will in fact be the case?

NO !!

I participate in this forum, scratch my head trying to understand Ted Thompson and his style of managing. I'm a Packer fan 365 days a year.

GO Packers !
I think we would all be better GMs than TT with the benefit of hindsight. So he should have signed Ahman to a longer contract last year. Yup. Can't argue there. But what if Ahman did not regain his form after the injury? To me - Ahman was slowing down even before the injury. I didn't expect him to be as good as he was last year. If we had invested a lot of money in him at that point - I think that would have been a poor move on TT's part. What's more - are you sure Ahman would have signed a longer contract? If he felt he was going to come back - perhaps he would have only opted for the one year I-need-to-prove-myself-again-and-hit-a-big-payday contract.

You are right though, the bottom line on TT will be wins and loses. But you have to look at the increased talent level to know that more wins are coming in the future. Impatience by a GM can ruin a team. Build slowly through the draft is the most effective way to build a team. Ridiculing TT for every 'non-move' is ridiculous. The Packers need to invest their money carefully in players that will help the team to win.

Think about this - we have lots of cap space now - because of the prudent moves TT made last year. We will have lots of cap space next year - because TT will be prudent this year. But the money is spent every year - so don't tell me that it is a waste.

woodbuck27
03-09-2007, 12:55 PM
cheesner:

Points well made in regards to the actual agreement bet. parties that resulted in only a one year deal with Ahman.

First. It now seems to me that just that was favourable to A. Green as it was reported.

Secondly.

Yes I agree that Ahman performed beyond what I expected. I felt his recovery was something special, given the seriousness of that injury.

To Ted Thompson's credit also.

He gave Ahman a chance of a future in the NFL, where it's doubtful if it would have come elsewhere.

Packnut
03-09-2007, 01:06 PM

Who are these fans?

I don't believe so.

NO !!

GO Packers !
I think we would all be better GMs than TT with the benefit of hindsight. So he should have signed Ahman to a longer contract last year. Yup. Can't argue there. But what if Ahman did not regain his form after the injury? To me - Ahman was slowing down even before the injury. I didn't expect him to be as good as he was last year. If we had invested a lot of money in him at that point - I think that would have been a poor move on TT's part. What's more - are you sure Ahman would have signed a longer contract? If he felt he was going to come back - perhaps he would have only opted for the one year I-need-to-prove-myself-again-and-hit-a-big-payday contract.

You are right though, the bottom line on TT will be wins and loses. But you have to look at the increased talent level to know that more wins are coming in the future. Impatience by a GM can ruin a team. Build slowly through the draft is the most effective way to build a team. Ridiculing TT for every 'non-move' is ridiculous. The Packers need to invest their money carefully in players that will help the team to win.

Think about this - we have lots of cap space now - because of the prudent moves TT made last year. We will have lots of cap space next year - because TT will be prudent this year. But the money is spent every year - so don't tell me that it is a waste.

So far Teddy is 0-2 when it comes to reading injuries and how soon a player can come back. He only gave Green a 1 year deal due to the injury and let's not forget the Walker fiasco. I'm not saying it's an exact science but being 0-2 does'nt deserve a pat on the back.........

gureski
03-09-2007, 01:07 PM
You cannot call Ted Thompson a GM in Training. The guy has had two drafts being fully in charge of running the Packers. The rookie label is factually off. You can like or dislike his results but you can't call him a rookie after he's been calling the shots for over 2 years. It just doesn't apply.

And just because I can't let it go... Thompson did NOT make a mistake in signing Green to a 1 year deal last year. Green's injury is the type that it normally ends a players career. Given that Green was already slowing down prior to the injury AND given the fact that Green wanted more money then the team was comfortable giving him over 2 or more years....Thompson did the only prudent thing by inking him to a 1 year deal. Don't forget that the Packers talked about a deal with Green last year for more then 1 year. It was Green, in the end, that decided it was in his best interest (translation $$$$$$) to take the 1 year deal and prove to the world he was back. Green did that and found a team willing to overpay for his services. Good move by him but that doesn't mean it was a bad move by Thompson. It just means there was a sucker out there willing to pay and now Green and his family are set financially because of it.

With all that said, anyone can say Thompson should've paid Green more money last year to lock him up OR you could say he should've offerred him more money this year to lock him up BUT everyone can agree that whatever amount of money Green wanted was obviously more then he was realistically worth. He's past his prime. He's coming off a major injury. He's got alot of wear and tear on his body. If your stance is that the Packers should've overpaid for Green because the market paid him $5.75 million a year then that's fine but realize that your stance is just that.....you wanted Thompson to overpay for a 30 year old RB who is past his prime and was coming off a major injury. That's not the normal standard of business that most fans desire their management take. Fans normally don't want to see their GM overpay for players that fit the description of an A.Green. Fans usually get angry when GM's overpay for guys like that.

Again, it's okay if you feel that way but you have to realize that feeling that way means that you believe Thompson should've overpaid for a RB with lots of mileage that is past his prime, coming off a major injury.

woodbuck27
03-09-2007, 01:16 PM
Guerski:

What you post above is difficult to challenge.

As I stated in my last post. I believe that Ahman Green had a large role and self interest in his own future.

He did well for Ahman. :)

retailguy
03-09-2007, 02:24 PM
Well, I say that Thompson had his chance to lock Green up, with probably LESS than he ultimately offered, and that was BEFORE March 2nd.

Everything indicates that the Packers offered 3.5 to 4.0 mil per year prior to Free Agency. Had he offered $5 or $5.5 and AG didn't take it, I'd be silent on the whole issue. If he'd MADE THE BEST OFFER HE COULD PRIOR to Free Agency, I'd be fine with that. That doesn not appear to be what happened.

If Thompson is the FANTASTIC GM that everyone makes him out to be, he SHOULD HAVE known that he'd get an "above market" offer in Free Agency. KNOWING THIS IS HIS JOB.

THAT was his mistake, and YES, it was a mistake. I didn't expect him to MEET Houston's offer, I expected him NOT TO LET IT GET THAT FAR.

But we are where we are, and barring a rookie miracle, thats FUCKED.

Get used to it.

esoxx
03-09-2007, 02:36 PM
Well, I say that Thompson had his chance to lock Green up, with probably LESS than he ultimately offered, and that was BEFORE March 2nd.

Everything indicates that the Packers offered 3.5 to 4.0 mil per year prior to Free Agency. Had he offered $5 or $5.5 and AG didn't take it, I'd be silent on the whole issue. If he'd MADE THE BEST OFFER HE COULD PRIOR to Free Agency, I'd be fine with that. That doesn not appear to be what happened.

Exactly.

Where TT miscalculated was allowing him to get to FA in the first place. Why offer up to 5 mil once he's on the open market when you could have approached that figure leading up to FA and he likely signs. Instead he tried to squeeze AG and hope he takes the low offer. I don't think that's the way to treat a player of AG's tenure and who has been a great "team player."

Everyone talks about Al Harris and how he did things right by not complaing about his contract during the season. Ahman signed a deal in '01 that was severly outdated by '03 but kept his mouth shut AND didn't blow off mini-camps ala Al. But we shouldn't reward Green.

People can rationalize losing AG anyway they want but if TT would have just played it fair (offered what he ultimatley did once he hit the open market) Green's still a Packer and we're a better team. Isn't that what the goal is, to be a better team?

Rationalize away.

woodbuck27
03-09-2007, 02:38 PM

If Thompson is the FANTASTIC GM that everyone makes him out to be, he SHOULD HAVE known that he'd get an "above market" offer in Free Agency. KNOWING THIS IS HIS JOB.

THAT was his mistake, and YES, it was a mistake. I didn't expect him to MEET Houston's offer, I expected him NOT TO LET IT GET THAT FAR.

Get used to it.

YUP.

I hope I'm wrong but that certainly appears to be a . . .

BIG AMEN.

cheesner
03-09-2007, 02:40 PM

Get used to it.
Let me get this straight - It is the GM's job to give an 'above market' contract? TT is expected, in your mind, to over-pay players? What the hell? Thank goodness, TT's motivation is to improve the Packers to a championship level and not pander to those who want to invest (overpay) in past-their-prime players.

TT's JOB is to make the Packers better in the long run. You don't do that by overpaying any player. As there is a salary cap in the NFL today - he has to make tough economic decisions - he has to weigh performance vrs price. Unfortunately, some other team thinks he is more valuable than TT.

woodbuck27
03-09-2007, 03:04 PM

Get used to it.
Let me get this straight - It is the GM's job to give an 'above market' contract? TT is expected, in your mind, to over-pay players? What the hell? Thank goodness, TT's motivation is to improve the Packers to a championship level and not pander to those who want to invest (overpay) in past-their-prime players.

TT's JOB is to make the Packers better in the long run. You don't do that by overpaying any player. As there is a salary cap in the NFL today - he has to make tough economic decisions - he has to weigh performance vrs price. Unfortunately, some other team thinks he is more valuable than TT.

Yes we shouldn't pigeon hole the Ahman Green issue, desite 'the fact' that it's impact has left us up to our crotch's in the alligator swamp.

Ted Thompson hasn't left the canvass.

gureski
03-09-2007, 07:10 PM
Two things:

1. We're not screwed at RB. They have Morency who was the ninth pick in the third round just two years ago. If the Packers take a RB with their third round pick this year I doubt many of you same fans that are griping right now will be giving up on that player after his second season. I take that back...based on the orgasmic comments about Gado after his 15 minutes of fame, I KNOW you fans wont give up on a third round RB after his second year.

Morency looked good running the ball last year, when healthy. Who was A.Green when the Packers acquired him and gave him a chance over D.Levens? How many people said Wolf was an idiot for giving Green the job over Levens? You don't have to like Morency's chances but you do have to realize that the cupboard isn't bare. We're not screwed because Green left. We have a legitimate candidate to run in the ZBS. ZBS doesn't need a big RB. Look at how W.Dunn has excelled for years in the ZBS. Morency could be the guy.

2. For the guy who said Thompson should've offerred Green 5 or 5.5 million before free agency.... Read my previous post and realize that you are angry because Ted Thompson didn't overpay for Green. He's not worth $5 million a year. He's not worth $5.5. million a year and he certainly isn't worth the $5.75 million a year the Texans gave him. He's a 30 year old RB who is past his prime and coming off a major injury that usually ends RB's careers. You normally don't overpay for such a player. The Texans did. Good for A.Green. Ted Thompson isn't an idiot because he didn't overpay. Realize you're angry because the team didn't overpay for a high-risk player. And while you're at it, realize that A.Green signed his extension. He willingly took more money up front in exchange for a future big pay-day. That was a choice he made. It's not up to Ted Thompson to make sure Green gets a big fat payday to make up for lost past earnings. It's one thing to argue that Thompson should've overpaid for Green but it's a whole nother thing to infer that the organization owed it to Green to overpay him. That's just not how it works in reality.

Bretsky
03-09-2007, 07:24 PM

Exactly.

Where TT miscalculated was allowing him to get to FA in the first place. Why offer up to 5 mil once he's on the open market when you could have approached that figure leading up to FA and he likely signs. Instead he tried to squeeze AG and hope he takes the low offer. I don't think that's the way to treat a player of AG's tenure and who has been a great "team player."

Everyone talks about Al Harris and how he did things right by not complaing about his contract during the season. Ahman signed a deal in '01 that was severly outdated by '03 but kept his mouth shut AND didn't blow off mini-camps ala Al. But we shouldn't reward Green.

People can rationalize losing AG anyway they want but if TT would have just played it fair (offered what he ultimatley did once he hit the open market) Green's still a Packer and we're a better team. Isn't that what the goal is, to be a better team?

Rationalize away.

YUP

Bretsky
03-09-2007, 07:27 PM

Get used to it.

I'm not sure what an "above" market contract is. The cap is jacked up, teams have loads of money, and the market has changed.

Maybe we're not smart enough to determine what a fair market contracts is ?

TT probably needed to offer up around 15MIL for five years before free agency. Is that an above market contract ? I'm not sure it is in this market.

Look at the newest RB signings. I look at several and say 5MIL or so per year is very fair. This is a changing market.

Bretsky
03-09-2007, 07:30 PM
Two things:

1. We're not screwed at RB. They have Morency who was the ninth pick in the third round just two years ago. If the Packers take a RB with their third round pick this year I doubt many of you same fans that are griping right now will be giving up on that player after his second season. I take that back...based on the orgasmic comments about Gado after his 15 minutes of fame, I KNOW you fans wont give up on a third round RB after his second year.

Morency looked good running the ball last year, when healthy. Who was A.Green when the Packers acquired him and gave him a chance over D.Levens? How many people said Wolf was an idiot for giving Green the job over Levens? You don't have to like Morency's chances but you do have to realize that the cupboard isn't bare. We're not screwed because Green left. We have a legitimate candidate to run in the ZBS. ZBS doesn't need a big RB. Look at how W.Dunn has excelled for years in the ZBS. Morency could be the guy.

2. For the guy who said Thompson should've offerred Green 5 or 5.5 million before free agency.... Read my previous post and realize that you are angry because Ted Thompson didn't overpay for Green. He's not worth $5 million a year. He's not worth $5.5. million a year and he certainly isn't worth the $5.75 million a year the Texans gave him. He's a 30 year old RB who is past his prime and coming off a major injury that usually ends RB's careers. You normally don't overpay for such a player. The Texans did. Good for A.Green. Ted Thompson isn't an idiot because he didn't overpay. Realize you're angry because the team didn't overpay for a high-risk player. And while you're at it, realize that A.Green signed his extension. He willingly took more money up front in exchange for a future big pay-day. That was a choice he made. It's not up to Ted Thompson to make sure Green gets a big fat payday to make up for lost past earnings. It's one thing to argue that Thompson should've overpaid for Green but it's a whole nother thing to infer that the organization owed it to Green to overpay him. That's just not how it works in reality.

Are you trying to argue that Morency is a capable #1, or are you justifying your points by saying he "might" be and we should not give up ?

Regarding Green, I DO FEEL that he truly wanted him he should have made his best effort BEFORE free agency.

I'm quite disappointed in what he has done with the RB position after losing Ahman Green........aka............nada

red
03-09-2007, 07:32 PM

i actually agree with everything you said here

as soon as it started to look like we might let green walk i started thinking, well what the hell is the point of bringing in moss then?

gureski
03-09-2007, 08:07 PM
Two things:

Are you trying to argue that Morency is a capable #1, or are you justifying your points by saying he "might" be and we should not give up ?

Regarding Green, I DO FEEL that he truly wanted him he should have made his best effort BEFORE free agency.

I'm quite disappointed in what he has done with the RB position after losing Ahman Green........aka............nada

The context of the comment about Morency being starter material is that people were saying the cupboard is bare. It's not bare. Morency is a valid option right now. There is hope there. Because he's untested, you ought to cover yourself and have another option available but the real point is that Green wasn't all we had. All the chips weren't on Green coming back the way some are making it out to be. I will go on record as saying Morency (so long as he stays healthy) will do just as good or better then what Green did last year. There is way more upside right now with morency then there was with Green.

Second, you say "Best Offer" but what you really mean is an offer that OVERPAYS for a high-risk RB. Green spent time with Denver and obviously didn't get the kind of money he was offerred in Houston. Were they dumb too? Were they out of touch with the market? Ask all 32 GM's in the league if they would've paid A.Green $5 million a year and I bet over 2/3 would say NO. You just don't pay that kind of money to a player in Green's situation.

What's his situation?

Green is past his prime. That's a fact. Green is coming off a major injury that normally ends RB's careers. That's a fact. Green has lots of mileage on him. That's a fact. He's 30 years old and the statistics of RB's over 30 aren't pretty. Those are facts too. If you take the name Green out of the sentences I've just written I doubt you'd want your GM to ante up with a deal that overpaid for a player like. Why then...are so many angry that the Packers didn't OVERPAY! To lock up Green Thompson would've had to overpay! It's true! Green has alot of negatives surrounding him right now. He's not the kind of player you pay that kind of money to! Look at J.Lewis's deal with Cleveland! Lewis is younger and had a 2,000 yard rushing season in 2003! He only got $3.5 million and a 1 year contract! If there was a big market for high-risk RB's then Lewis would've gotten $5.75 million from someone too!

If you are pissed that Thompson didn't sign Green then you're pissed that he didn't OVERPAY Green. It's as simple as that. So long as those that are angry realize that, I'm okay. YOu cannot act like $5 million or more for Green was not above his true value. The Texans overpaid. Thompson isn't an idiot because he refused to.

Bretsky
03-09-2007, 08:28 PM
You are truly being a negative spinster for your own purposes on Green

One could argue, just as validly, that Green is one year out from a serious injury that had a great impact on his effectiveness last year. Yes, he has miles........BUT.....he's full strength now and there is every reason to believe that he would have been more effective this year than he was last year. Is he worth more then than Fred Taylor in the CURRENT market ? Overpays is a relative term that we choose to use to support an argument. if TT was choosing to make Ahman his best offer of 5MIL per year, once again he should do so BEFORE free agency. It is your opinion that is an overpiad deal, but if TT offered it he would disagree with you. Maybe you'd argue Taylor is better than Green, but I'd think at worst they are comparable.

Harvey went to great lengths so show how statistically Morency had a great advantage over A Green if you are going to cling to that yards per carry average to show he's capable so I'm not going back there again. Blind faith is the best reason to believe our backfield is just fine.

And if you are going to argue Morency is starter materials, you might as well throw Noah Herron in as well as starter material also.

Name a few backfields in the NFL that are as bad as Green Bay's right now. To say the cup is bare right now is very accurate

MJZiggy
03-09-2007, 08:34 PM
Were you one of the guys who was complaining over the last couple games that Green kept having to come out of the game on crucial downs because he needed a rest? I loved the guy and wanted to keep him, but he's gone and I worked hard to get over that. I'm trying to look at him as objectively as possible...

Bretsky
03-09-2007, 08:42 PM
Were you one of the guys who was complaining over the last couple games that Green kept having to come out of the game on crucial downs because he needed a rest? I loved the guy and wanted to keep him, but he's gone and I worked hard to get over that. I'm trying to look at him as objectively as possible...

Yes, I absolutely was complaining that Ahman Green came out too much. At times this messed up the flow of MM's playcalling.

All along I've been torn on the Green deal; but I don't but the overpaid theory these days because the market has changed, whether we went to believe it or not.

It's supply and demand. Lack of players and a rising cap is changing what a fair market deal is, and it will continue to get worse.

I'm not sure what was fair for Ahman Green; I'm not going to argue he was paid too much or not enough. I will argue the market has changed so much we are incapable of judging the current market.

But once Green left I want to see some effort as a backup plan in some sort. I don't see that, and that collectively ....along with the lack of effort by Green Bay is pursuing the better tier players....is what is frustrating to me.

esoxx
03-09-2007, 08:50 PM
What's absurd is comparing Morencey to Ahman Green in his prime. Yeah, maybe Greg Jennings will be as good as Sterling Sharpe and Ruvell Martin will be the next James Lofton.

Hey, it easy and fun to rationalize. I feel better.

falco
03-09-2007, 08:52 PM
What's absurd is comparing Morencey to Ahman Green in his prime. Yeah, maybe Greg Jennings will be as good as Sterling Sharpe and Ruvell Martin will be the next James Lofton.

Hey, it easy and fun to rationalize. I feel better.

Esoxx is absolutely right. Anyone willing to go alone with Ruvell Martin into a stairwell would be an idiot.

esoxx
03-09-2007, 08:54 PM
Maybe Zac Alcorn could be the next Mark Chmura. :twisted:

retailguy
03-09-2007, 09:13 PM

Maybe Vernand Morency can be the next Brent Fullwood. Maybe we can bring Terdell Middleton out of retirement. What happened to Bam Morris? Is he out of Jail yet?

I KNOW! I'VE GOT IT! RICKY WILLIAMS! Thats IT! THERE IS A PLAN!

Ricky Williams, Koren Robinson & Randy Moss!!!!!!!

Brighter days are ahead my friends!! :P

gureski
03-10-2007, 11:38 AM
Who compared Morency to A.Green in his prime? I said there are similarities in how Green came to G.B. and ended up taking over for a popular Pro-Bowl HB (D.Levens) and right now where Morency is in position to have a shot to do the same.

The thing about Morency is that there is realistic potential there. It's not drummed up like the Gado thing (Of which I'm proud to say I wasn't part of that bandwagon). Morency is not a sure thing but he's a valid option. People aren't giving him enough credit for what he brings to the table. He's two years removed from being a third round draft pick and he's shown flashes of promise when in games. He's not a bust. How many of you same people that are saying Morency sucks would be giving up on an early third round draft pick after two seasons in two different offense's? I doubt any of you would. You'd be more patient. For some reason with Morency, people refuse to admit he has the potential to make this work.

I keep hearing how awful the RB situation is but in reality, if you'll consider Morency a valid option, you'd realize that the team is really only 1 RB signing or draft pick away from having the position solidified for next year. That's right. 1 back away from being no worse off then last year and quite possibly alot better.

ON the price thing..... you can say the market is set now and that the money Green got is not more then he is worth but that's all AFTER THE FACT. Hindsight is 20-20. You can say that in hind-sight that $5 million a year isn't too much for a back like Green. I'd disagree with you but it would'nt be far fetched to say that. What isn't fair is for you to infer that THompson should've overpaid PRIOR to knowing that the market for RB's was going to explode to the point that $5 million would look even close to being reasonable. Thompson didn't make a mistake. He refused to overpay based on what the market was at that time. E.James got $6 million a year last year from Arizona. A.Green got $5.75 million a year this year. Should Green get a deal near James when Green has so many high-risk issues surrounding him? Houston overpaid and it's fair to say that because of all the common sense factors surrounding A.Green tell you he isn't worthy of the deal he got! He's getting $8 million dollars this year! $8 million dollars on a RB that statistically, based on his age, history, and injury status, is going to start declining fast. YOu can argue that Green will beat the odds and stay productive but you can't argue that he'd be an exception to the rule when it comes to RB's in the NFL and you can't argue that he hasn't already been slowing down for the past 3 years.

If you are angry Green is gone then you wanted Thompson to OVERPAY. It's true because the money Green wanted (and finally got) is way more then he's worth. Teams overpay every year and it usually screws up the payscale and causes problems. It's a fact of the NFL. If you're GM doesn't take part in it that doesn't mean he's an idiot. He's just not following the crowd.

retailguy
03-10-2007, 12:36 PM
If you are angry Green is gone then you wanted Thompson to OVERPAY. It's true because the money Green wanted (and finally got) is way more then he's worth. Teams overpay every year and it usually screws up the payscale and causes problems. It's a fact of the NFL. If you're GM doesn't take part in it that doesn't mean he's an idiot. He's just not following the crowd.

BULL, with a capital B. What I'm about to say about Green applies to almost ALL free agents.

The MARKET sets the price for free agents. THE MARKET, not HOW YOU OR I FEEL.

Houston had to pay more for Green than Green Bay did, or HE WOULDN'T HAVE WENT TO HOUSTON.

That's the point Guerski. Feel it. Embrace it. SEE it. Has nothing to do with how "SMART" Thompson is. The MARKET dictated the price ONLY TO THE EXTENT that Thompson wouldn't have matched it.

Had Thompson agreed to match 8mil, Houston would have had to pay 10mil. I can't believe you can't see how this works.

Once Ahman got to free agency, IT WAS OVER. IT WAS OVER MARCH 2nd.

Thompson's MISTAKE was letting it get to that point. PERIOD.

Ahman's WORTH was dictated by the market. By that definition, he was WORTH 8mil. Whether you agree with it or not...

gureski
03-10-2007, 01:11 PM

BULL, with a capital B. What I'm about to say about Green applies to almost ALL free agents.

The MARKET sets the price for free agents. THE MARKET, not HOW YOU OR I FEEL.

Houston had to pay more for Green than Green Bay did, or HE WOULDN'T HAVE WENT TO HOUSTON.

That's the point Guerski. Feel it. Embrace it. SEE it. Has nothing to do with how "SMART" Thompson is. The MARKET dictated the price ONLY TO THE EXTENT that Thompson wouldn't have matched it.

Had Thompson agreed to match 8mil, Houston would have had to pay 10mil. I can't believe you can't see how this works.

Once Ahman got to free agency, IT WAS OVER. IT WAS OVER MARCH 2nd.

Thompson's MISTAKE was letting it get to that point. PERIOD.

Ahman's WORTH was dictated by the market. By that definition, he was WORTH 8mil. Whether you agree with it or not...

You are leading the charge to be ridiculous and I imagine you're loving the support you're getting right now.

Tell me something....

If you and I go to a Mexican restaurant and each of us wants the same thing....say a taco... and that taco costs 99 cents. BUT.. there is only one taco shell sitting there that you and I can see and I jump forward and say I'll pay $20.00 for that taco! The attendant gives me the Taco and takes the $20.00 before turning to you and selling you a soft shell taco for 99 cents. Are the hard shell tacos worth $20.00 now because I bought one for $20.00? Are you an idiot because you didn't offer the cashier $10.00 for the taco before I offerred $20.00? I mean, I'm sure they'd have given you the taco for $10.00 if you'd have just offerred to pay more then the asking price before I offerred $20.00. OR, are you smart because you got a taco for $19.01 cheaper then the one I got and they're basically the same?

The fact is that just because someone is willing to overpay for a product doesn't mean that's the new market value of that item. The item is still worth what it was originally. The restaurant just found a sucker to overpay. They may think about adjusting their price after this but in reality, they know there wont be many takers for $20.00 tacos. In this example, someone just flat-out overpaid.

In the NFL, player value is subjective. Each team values different traits. Each team is at different levels of success and have different needs. How does A.Green get $5.75 million a year over 4 years while J.Lewis can only get a single year deal for $3.5 million? The beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Like the 99 cent taco, Green had a value assigned to him before he ever hit free agency. You can look at past payment history of RB's like Green and project what a player's value is based on multiple factors. Based on Green's factors (athletic ability, history, injury, age,) he had a certain value going into free agency and it wasn't $5.75 million a year. The biggest shock-wave of free agency thus far was Green getting that deal from Houston. He WAS overpaid. Now that Green has his money, the way you view the market shifts but it doesn't shift til AFTER Green got paid. That's how hit works. It wasn't a mistake by Thompson and Green WAS overpaid.

wist43
03-10-2007, 01:19 PM
Plain and simple - Morency IS NOT an every down starter in the NFL.

Where Green would lower his should and get the tough yd on 3rd and 1, Morency is a dancer who gets caught for a loss.

Morency is a nice 3rd down back, but he's simply not big enough, or tough enough... his style is that of a slasher who goes down too easily. He cannot be counted on, down in and down out, to be an every down back.

He is what he is - a 3rd down back.

Brando19
03-10-2007, 01:29 PM

Maybe Vernand Morency can be the next Brent Fullwood. Maybe we can bring Terdell Middleton out of retirement. What happened to Bam Morris? Is he out of Jail yet?

I KNOW! I'VE GOT IT! RICKY WILLIAMS! Thats IT! THERE IS A PLAN!

Ricky Williams, Koren Robinson & Randy Moss!!!!!!!

Brighter days are ahead my friends!! :P

How about Pacman Jones and Chris Henry???? Yessssssssss

retailguy
03-11-2007, 10:27 AM
You are leading the charge to be ridiculous and I imagine you're loving the support you're getting right now.

Tell me something....

If you and I go to a Mexican restaurant and each of us wants the same thing....say a taco... and that taco costs 99 cents. BUT.. there is only one taco shell sitting there that you and I can see and I jump forward and say I'll pay $20.00 for that taco! The attendant gives me the Taco and takes the $20.00 before turning to you and selling you a soft shell taco for 99 cents. Are the hard shell tacos worth $20.00 now because I bought one for $20.00? Are you an idiot because you didn't offer the cashier $10.00 for the taco before I offerred $20.00? I mean, I'm sure they'd have given you the taco for $10.00 if you'd have just offerred to pay more then the asking price before I offerred $20.00. OR, are you smart because you got a taco for $19.01 cheaper then the one I got and they're basically the same?

The fact is that just because someone is willing to overpay for a product doesn't mean that's the new market value of that item. The item is still worth what it was originally. The restaurant just found a sucker to overpay. They may think about adjusting their price after this but in reality, they know there wont be many takers for $20.00 tacos. In this example, someone just flat-out overpaid.

In the NFL, player value is subjective. Each team values different traits. Each team is at different levels of success and have different needs. How does A.Green get $5.75 million a year over 4 years while J.Lewis can only get a single year deal for $3.5 million? The beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Like the 99 cent taco, Green had a value assigned to him before he ever hit free agency. You can look at past payment history of RB's like Green and project what a player's value is based on multiple factors. Based on Green's factors (athletic ability, history, injury, age,) he had a certain value going into free agency and it wasn't $5.75 million a year. The biggest shock-wave of free agency thus far was Green getting that deal from Houston. He WAS overpaid. Now that Green has his money, the way you view the market shifts but it doesn't shift til AFTER Green got paid. That's how hit works. It wasn't a mistake by Thompson and Green WAS overpaid.

Man. You've claimed I'm NEGATIVE, now you claim I'm RIDICULOUS. I didn't realize that you had the monopoly on being "right".

I'm not negative and I'm not ridiculous. The fact that I disagree with Thompsons approach doesn't make me wrong, it makes me different than he is.

Your $20 taco analysis is FLAWED. Tacos are a consumable item, and once consumed have ZERO VALUE. Ahman Green is a commodity, and his value increases and decreases based on PRODUCTION.

After Houston "consumes" Ahman Green, he'll still have intrinsic value, either higher or lower, but still have value as a football player. When that value falls below the veteran minimum, he'll retire.

The fact that you don't understand this makes your viewpoint, flawed, and in my opinion irrelevant.

You also fail to acknowledge the principle of SUPPLY AND DEMAND. Houston took an "educated" risk. They MAY get a good REWARD even if they overpaid.

We can't establish today that they overpaid, we can only establish that they were willing to pay more than anyone else.

Relating to your ridiculous taco example, the only thing your analysis proved is that you were willing to pay more for that taco than I was. You didn't prove the value of a taco. You only proved the value of the taco, TO YOU.

I might have been willing to pay $19.00 for the taco, I might not have been willing to spend .99 for the taco if I wasn't hungry, or if I didn't LIKE tacos. The fact I didn't spend doesn't mean ANYTHING, other than I didn't buy it.

MJZiggy
03-11-2007, 11:17 AM
Maybe TT doesn't like the selection of tacos this FA season... :wink:

Bretsky
03-11-2007, 11:18 AM
Maybe TT doesn't like the selection of tacos this FA season... :wink:

He's fasting

MJZiggy
03-11-2007, 11:28 AM
Hahahaha. I see that valium hasn't reached you yet. :shock: :lol:

Scott Campbell
03-11-2007, 11:31 AM
I'm not negative and I'm not ridiculous.

Of course you're not. And I'm not sarcastic.

:)

esoxx
03-11-2007, 12:21 PM
No, TT doesn't like tacos. I wish he were just fasting.

Brando19
03-11-2007, 12:40 PM
Jim Thomas, of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, reports the Green Bay Packers have expressed interest in unrestricted free-agent Kevin Curtis (Rams), but Curtis would prefer not to any make more trips at this point. He has told his new agents, Bruce and Ryan Tollner, that his main objectives are playing for a playoff contender, preferably in a warm-weather city, and to be a starter.

Bub
03-11-2007, 12:43 PM
Didn't we already try a Taco named Wallace? This proves TT does have a taste for Tacos. Heck, we were probably the only team in the NFL with a Taco.

Bub
03-11-2007, 12:48 PM
This is probably still a long shot, but Curtis would be ok. He'd add some depth and he's a solid 3rd WR. Most likely overpaid though. I'd prefer him over the trash we have at 3rd and above WR.

Packers | Team shows interest in Curtis
Sun, 11 Mar 2007 09:35:49 -0800

Jim Thomas, of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, reports the Green Bay Packers have expressed interest in unrestricted free-agent Kevin Curtis (Rams), but Curtis would prefer not to any make more trips at this point. He has told his new agents, Bruce and Ryan Tollner, that his main objectives are playing for a playoff contender, preferably in a warm-weather city, and to be a starter.

RashanGary
03-11-2007, 01:10 PM
Nice Taco reference Gereski. I think it would be better compared to a car at an auction but the general concept was spot on. Green was overpaid and it looks like Sherman had a big part in that. There was a reason he got fired from Green Bay. He was digging a hole that was obvioulsy very difficult to dig out of. To everyones surprise, Thompson turned it around in 2 years and has alot of money to keep going forward.

This is RG's favorite time of the year because he can pretend like he knows what he's talking about because there is no evidence to back it up untill the next season is played out. For all we know, his FA hopes could be right. For all we know, Ahman Green won't follow the pattern that has been in place for over 30 backs in teh NFL. We do have evidence of how SB teams have been assembled over the last 10 years and multiple stats from posters here as well as national articals have shown UFA to be a very poor way to build and aquire yoru team. Still, RG has the abilty to shout from his mountain top like he knows these guys will help. Why? becuase we don't have 100% factualy basis to show him wrong.

In 9 mos when the season is played out and the pattern of FA's not contributing to winning teams continues RG will disappear and be the quite defensive sherman supporter that he always is. For the next couple weeks just deal with is ignorance and do your best to ignore. Untill he brings examples of SB winning teams who in recent history *last 10 years* built through big FA signings or many FA signings than he lacks all credibily. He's got one little shred to hang on while he shouts from his mountain top. Just ignore it. It will go away when the season starts and the Texans still suck and the Packers get better and better. Sherm can't ride Wolf's coattails in HOuston. He's going to have to do it himself this time. Let's see how the great Sherm influence works when he starts from scratch. TT is starting from scratch too and he's made progress. More than we can say for the TExans isn't it?

Just ignore.

gureski
03-11-2007, 04:59 PM
I can't be RG if you're calling me a 'quiet defensive sherman supporter'. YOu must be talking about someone else with the same initials. Guys that really are Sherman supporters would puke if I got on that bus after the fights I've been in over the past two years on Sherman's lack of GM ability.

Bretsky
03-11-2007, 05:07 PM
I still didn't like Sherman the GM.

But I do feel he's a better GM now than I thought a year ago...this is partly because of the development of Aaron Kampman and Corey Williams.

I also give him credit for going for it; he may have made some bad FA decisions but he was swinging.

Again, his biggest downfall was continuously falling into the trap of packaging multiple draft picks ....aka....depth.....to move up and draft somebody he normally loved due to need.

Rastak
03-11-2007, 05:09 PM
I can't be RG if you're calling me a 'quiet defensive sherman supporter'. YOu must be talking about someone else with the same initials. Guys that really are Sherman supporters would puke if I got on that bus after the fights I've been in over the past two years on Sherman's lack of GM ability.

I think he meant RetailGuy but I'm not sure.....

retailguy
03-11-2007, 08:52 PM
Nice Taco reference Gereski. I think it would be better compared to a car at an auction but the general concept was spot on. Green was overpaid and it looks like Sherman had a big part in that. There was a reason he got fired from Green Bay. He was digging a hole that was obvioulsy very difficult to dig out of. To everyones surprise, Thompson turned it around in 2 years and has alot of money to keep going forward.

This is RG's favorite time of the year because he can pretend like he knows what he's talking about because there is no evidence to back it up untill the next season is played out. For all we know, his FA hopes could be right. For all we know, Ahman Green won't follow the pattern that has been in place for over 30 backs in teh NFL. We do have evidence of how SB teams have been assembled over the last 10 years and multiple stats from posters here as well as national articals have shown UFA to be a very poor way to build and aquire yoru team. Still, RG has the abilty to shout from his mountain top like he knows these guys will help. Why? becuase we don't have 100% factualy basis to show him wrong.

In 9 mos when the season is played out and the pattern of FA's not contributing to winning teams continues RG will disappear and be the quite defensive sherman supporter that he always is. For the next couple weeks just deal with is ignorance and do your best to ignore. Untill he brings examples of SB winning teams who in recent history *last 10 years* built through big FA signings or many FA signings than he lacks all credibily. He's got one little shred to hang on while he shouts from his mountain top. Just ignore it. It will go away when the season starts and the Texans still suck and the Packers get better and better. Sherm can't ride Wolf's coattails in HOuston. He's going to have to do it himself this time. Let's see how the great Sherm influence works when he starts from scratch. TT is starting from scratch too and he's made progress. More than we can say for the TExans isn't it?

Just ignore.

I think this is the most stupid post I have ever read on this site, but considering the source I'm really not surprised.

Greg, I don't know why you've decided to "bash" me tonight, it must be the popular thing to do. Anyone in these rooms knows you probably have never had an original thought in your head, I personally don't think you'll ever have an original thought.

Proof will come with time, and unlike you, I'll never leave. You've already had your childish temper tantrum, and it'll be a cold day in hell before I do something so stupid.

I almost feel guilty giving you a hard time, I'm fighting an unarmed man.

Partial
03-11-2007, 09:19 PM

Tell me something....

Man. You've claimed I'm NEGATIVE, now you claim I'm RIDICULOUS. I didn't realize that you had the monopoly on being "right".

I'm not negative and I'm not ridiculous. The fact that I disagree with Thompsons approach doesn't make me wrong, it makes me different than he is.

Your $20 taco analysis is FLAWED. Tacos are a consumable item, and once consumed have ZERO VALUE. Ahman Green is a commodity, and his value increases and decreases based on PRODUCTION.

After Houston "consumes" Ahman Green, he'll still have intrinsic value, either higher or lower, but still have value as a football player. When that value falls below the veteran minimum, he'll retire.

The fact that you don't understand this makes your viewpoint, flawed, and in my opinion irrelevant.

You also fail to acknowledge the principle of SUPPLY AND DEMAND. Houston took an "educated" risk. They MAY get a good REWARD even if they overpaid.

We can't establish today that they overpaid, we can only establish that they were willing to pay more than anyone else.

Relating to your ridiculous taco example, the only thing your analysis proved is that you were willing to pay more for that taco than I was. You didn't prove the value of a taco. You only proved the value of the taco, TO YOU.

I might have been willing to pay $19.00 for the taco, I might not have been willing to spend .99 for the taco if I wasn't hungry, or if I didn't LIKE tacos. The fact I didn't spend doesn't mean ANYTHING, other than I didn't buy it.

Your theory on his theory is poor because my $hits gold!!

Partial
03-11-2007, 09:19 PM
Plain and simple - Morency IS NOT an every down starter in the NFL.

Where Green would lower his should and get the tough yd on 3rd and 1, Morency is a dancer who gets caught for a loss.

Morency is a nice 3rd down back, but he's simply not big enough, or tough enough... his style is that of a slasher who goes down too easily. He cannot be counted on, down in and down out, to be an every down back.

He is what he is - a 3rd down back.

Who's the dancer soon to be a 100% certain first ballot hall of famer?

Partial
03-11-2007, 09:26 PM

Just ignore.

I think this is the most stupid post I have ever read on this site, but considering the source I'm really not surprised.

Greg, I don't know why you've decided to "bash" me tonight, it must be the popular thing to do. Anyone in these rooms knows you probably have never had an original thought in your head, I personally don't think you'll ever have an original thought.

Proof will come with time, and unlike you, I'll never leave. You've already had your childish temper tantrum, and it'll be a cold day in hell before I do something so stupid.

I almost feel guilty giving you a hard time, I'm fighting an unarmed man.

I would say you have responded with a fair amount of contentless responses when I raised the question of who we should have signed. Greg's a good guy, lay off.

retailguy
03-11-2007, 09:29 PM
I would say you have responded with a fair amount of contentless responses when I raised the question of who we should have signed. Greg's a good guy, lay off.

I'll not back off. I'm sick of being attacked, and having the "rules of the majority" not apply to the minority.

Partial, if you don't know what I WANTED through free agency, you don't know how to read.

I have listed SEVERAL positions that I saw as positions of need, and further stated that if the RB position is not addressed there is no point to sign ANYONE, we should just let the young guys play and develop.

I guess Greg needs your help, because he shows up here unarmed everyday in the battle of wits because he has none.

Partial
03-11-2007, 09:33 PM

I'll not back off. I'm sick of being attacked, and having the "rules of the majority" not apply to the minority.

Partial, if you don't know what I WANTED through free agency, you don't know how to read.

I have listed SEVERAL positions that I saw as positions of need, and further stated that if the RB position is not addressed there is no point to sign ANYONE, we should just let the young guys play and develop.

I guess Greg needs your help, because he shows up here unarmed everyday in the battle of wits because he has none.

And I have continually asked WHO to sign to fill those needs, because having a need to fill and signing any player to do it is not the right idea. Also, Greg has an opinion then differs then yours. Why does that make him an idiot?

b bulldog
03-11-2007, 09:37 PM
Everyone settle down, don't allow the lack of signings to get the best of you.

retailguy
03-11-2007, 09:38 PM
And I have continually asked WHO to sign to fill those needs, because having a need to fill and signing any player to do it is not the right idea. Also, Greg has an opinion then differs then yours. Why does that make him an idiot?

When will you figure out that I don't have to march to your drum? I've listed POSITIONS that I see as weakness.

The one thing that I trust Thompson to do is FILL POSITIONS WITH TALENT. In my opinion, it's the best skill he has. The rest of his "GM'ing" is pretty poor.

Greg flip flops more than a fish on the beach. Search his archives. Two days ago, he's talking about how I'm consistent, a couple of weeks back he talks about me moderating his opinion of Sherman. Then today, this shit.

He's devoid of thought, and has ZERO consistency. Plus, it's about time for another of his legendary meltdowns. You know the ones, where he winds up arguing with himself, and the rest of us swear he's about 12.

MJZiggy
03-11-2007, 09:40 PM

I haven't attacked you. And I disagree with your FA idea right now, but I also agree with what Patler said about not knowing the results of our offseason adventures until the next season. You may be right. I may be right. It doesn't make the one who wasn't an idiot. It simply means they were wrong. I am simply willing to wait and see. I don't see you as "the minority" for thinking that Sherman was a good GM. He took a shot. It didn't work. It ultimately cost him his job, but to suggest that his replacement is intentionally not doing anything and suggesting that he MUST do something you want him to as part of his job description, I believe is wrong as well. It's TT's job and he will do it the way he sees best, just like Sherman did. Just like you do your job even when your decisions aren't popular.

b bulldog
03-11-2007, 09:41 PM
I'm about due for a good Favre meltdown with the usual folks in here :wink:

GrnBay007
03-11-2007, 09:44 PM
I'm about due for a good Favre meltdown with the usual folks in here :wink:

:evil:

:P

retailguy
03-11-2007, 09:46 PM
I haven't attacked you. And I disagree with your FA idea right now, but I also agree with what Patler said about not knowing the results of our offseason adventures until the next season. You may be right. I may be right. It doesn't make the one who wasn't an idiot. It simply means they were wrong. I am simply willing to wait and see. I don't see you as "the minority" for thinking that Sherman was a good GM. He took a shot. It didn't work. It ultimately cost him his job, but to suggest that his replacement is intentionally not doing anything and suggesting that he MUST do something you want him to as part of his job description, I believe is wrong as well. It's TT's job and he will do it the way he sees best, just like Sherman did. Just like you do your job even when your decisions aren't popular.

Zig, I don't recall accusing you of attacking me. However, there has been plenty of attacks and piling on. When I've decided to fight back, and respond as I've been responded to, I'm accused of dirty pool.

The mob mentality is alive and well. If you disagree with the majority, there is a price to pay. Ziggy, St. Lou is right. there's a clique here, and if you don't "play by the rules" there is a price to pay.

Go read what people have posted about me in the last two months. Go ahead, READ IT. Just today, Guerski posts about his bachelors degree in econ. Then I post my credentials, and the "masses" mock me.

What about him, Zig? What about him? The only diff is that he's on the "right" side of the mob opinion. That's it.

Partial
03-11-2007, 09:48 PM

When will you figure out that I don't have to march to your drum? I've listed POSITIONS that I see as weakness.

The one thing that I trust Thompson to do is FILL POSITIONS WITH TALENT. In my opinion, it's the best skill he has. The rest of his "GM'ing" is pretty poor.

Greg flip flops more than a fish on the beach. Search his archives. Two days ago, he's talking about how I'm consistent, a couple of weeks back he talks about me moderating his opinion of Sherman. Then today, this shit.

He's devoid of thought, and has ZERO consistency. Plus, it's about time for another of his legendary meltdowns. You know the ones, where he winds up arguing with himself, and the rest of us swear he's about 12.

Positions of Needs + Players available != good signing.

This is the point I have been trying to make. They are a young team that is going to take a couple years to be solid across the board. Once you see what you have out of these guys, then you fill the holes. Anything now is overzealous because we know no matter what happens they're going to be bad. The above equation is why Minnesota and Washington fail at being successful teams.

I would argue that everyone has their moments and it is not just Greg. Your response to Collins post was equally immature.

TITTIES BOOBIES ZONGAS MELONS LOVEBAGS TATS FUNBAGS CANS JUGS FACEPILLOWS HOOTERS KNOCKERS SWEATER-PUPPIES

b bulldog
03-11-2007, 09:48 PM
I deal with this whenever I go on my usual rants, it is all part of it and it is fun. I enjoy the banter, don't take it so serious.

Partial
03-11-2007, 09:51 PM
I deal with this whenever I go on my usual rants, it is all part of it and it is fun. I enjoy the banter, don't take it so serious.

What he said, or else I will start shouting out all the slang terms for my weiner that I can think of.

retailguy
03-11-2007, 09:52 PM
Positions of Needs + Players available != good signing.

This is the point I have been trying to make. They are a young team that is going to take a couple years to be solid across the board. Once you see what you have out of these guys, then you fill the holes. Anything now is overzealous because we know no matter what happens they're going to be bad. The above equation is why Minnesota and Washington fail at being successful teams.

I would argue that everyone has their moments and it is not just Greg. Your response to Collins post was equally immature.

TITTIES BOOBIES ZONGAS MELONS LOVEBAGS TATS FUNBAGS CANS JUGS FACEPILLOWS HOOTERS KNOCKERS SWEATER-PUPPIES

Partial, that's where we disagree. There is plenty of available talent. This team could make a run if it chose to. It hasn't.

There are holes to fill. Free agents could have helped. That's not the plan. I'm not happy about that. I don't respect those decisions by Thompson. I don't doubt that rookies can fill the roles, HOWEVER, the odds of that in 2007 aren't high.

I don't understand all the words related to female body parts, but whatever. Maybe it's a statement of your immaturity?

retailguy
03-11-2007, 09:54 PM

What he said, or else I will start shouting out all the slang terms for my weiner that I can think of.

that's a mature response. Very impressed. :roll:

retailguy
03-11-2007, 09:55 PM

You deal with it your way, I'll deal with mine. Good luck with it. I've done that for a year, and now, I'm done with it.

MJZiggy
03-11-2007, 10:04 PM

Zig, I don't recall accusing you of attacking me. However, there has been plenty of attacks and piling on. When I've decided to fight back, and respond as I've been responded to, I'm accused of dirty pool.

The mob mentality is alive and well. If you disagree with the majority, there is a price to pay. Ziggy, St. Lou is right. there's a clique here, and if you don't "play by the rules" there is a price to pay.

Go read what people have posted about me in the last two months. Go ahead, READ IT. Just today, Guerski posts about his bachelors degree in econ. Then I post my credentials, and the "masses" mock me.

What about him, Zig? What about him? The only diff is that he's on the "right" side of the mob opinion. That's it.

You don't accuse me, but it seems that there are attacks and piling on going in both directions and your suggestion of "mob mentality" seems to include us all in the mob. I don't see the mob or the clique, but maybe that's just me. I have read everything posted about you and by you and when you posted your credentials as gureski did, I did not see the "masses" mock you, I saw SC mock you. He does not represent the clique to me, more someone who saw very good credentials and a couple of people making fun with the joke. I (and many others here) am not against you. We merely have differing opinions and I have been finding the attacking of each other rather than attacking of the information that people are posting (with fact of our own) to be bothersome no matter who does it.

b bulldog
03-11-2007, 10:07 PM
What was said that pissed you off so?

retailguy
03-11-2007, 10:12 PM
You don't accuse me, but it seems that there are attacks and piling on going in both directions and your suggestion of "mob mentality" seems to include us all in the mob. I don't see the mob or the clique, but maybe that's just me. I have read everything posted about you and by you and when you posted your credentials as gureski did, I did not see the "masses" mock you, I saw SC mock you. He does not represent the clique to me, more someone who saw very good credentials and a couple of people making fun with the joke. I (and many others here) am not against you. We merely have differing opinions and I have been finding the attacking of each other rather than attacking of the information that people are posting (with fact of our own) to be bothersome no matter who does it.

It was more than SC, but whatever. I guess you can consider yourself part of the clique if you want, but that's up to you. I'll not be part of it any longer, if I ever was, that's for sure.

I don't care if anyone is against me or not. It's just clear that differing opinions are not really wanted. Well formed opinions challenge you to "think", but this group just wants everyone to agree with them.

That's all. Not really the type of discussion I want. Definitely not the type of discussion that I respect.

That's just me. Who cares?

Bretsky
03-11-2007, 10:14 PM

Actually I agree with much of RG's views about Ted Thompson; I've just been involved in separate debates with other posters about his lack of activity in addressing the multiple holes at RB, S, TE, WR...etc...that we have.

b bulldog
03-11-2007, 10:14 PM
State your opinions and back them up, if nobody agrees with you, who cares.

retailguy
03-11-2007, 10:15 PM
What was said that pissed you off so?

No one thing in particular. It's a culmination of things over the last six months. Tired of it more than anything.

There have been a few discussions in the last couple of days that haven't gone well. Today one occurred where one member posted something, I responded in similar fashion.

Mocking attacks directed at me, none at the other party. The 'mob' agreed with his point.

Really quite simple bulldog. probably unimportant as well. but you asked.

b bulldog
03-11-2007, 10:16 PM
Seriously, why do you care what the others think?

retailguy
03-11-2007, 10:24 PM

maybe I'm just too sensitive... :wink:

b bulldog
03-11-2007, 10:25 PM
Maybe, grow some super thick skin and post away. Hopefully tomorrow we will get a signing.

retailguy
03-11-2007, 10:29 PM
Maybe, grow some super thick skin and post away. Hopefully tomorrow we will get a signing.

People here really don't like it when you give them back what they give you.

We will NOT have a signing tomorrow. When we get one, we'll never have heard of him, that much is sure.

Not many guys left that can step in as a clearcut starter... but we'll see.

MJZiggy
03-11-2007, 10:31 PM

maybe I'm just too sensitive... :wink:

Does this mean I can mockingly call you "Mr. Sensitive" from now on? :mrgreen:

Like I told B the other day, maybe it's time to go and watch your kids sleep for a little bit (he reminded me hugging is not appreciated this time of night).

retailguy
03-11-2007, 10:46 PM
Does this mean I can mockingly call you "Mr. Sensitive" from now on? :mrgreen:

Like I told B the other day, maybe it's time to go and watch your kids sleep for a little bit (he reminded me hugging is not appreciated this time of night).

call me whatever you want. just don't call me part of the clique.

gureski
03-11-2007, 10:51 PM
Go ahead, READ IT. Just today, Guerski posts about his bachelors degree in econ. Then I post my credentials, and the "masses" mock me.

Just for the record, I never said I have a degree in econ. I just talked about a taco to make a point about market value and overpaying. You're confusing me with someone else.

falco
03-11-2007, 11:09 PM
ehh never mind its not worth it

Partial
03-12-2007, 07:25 AM

that's a mature response. Very impressed. :roll:

christ chill out

Scott Campbell
03-12-2007, 07:52 AM
Mocking attacks directed at me, none at the other party.

Sorry RG - it wasn't intended to be personal. Just bust'n balls.