PDA

View Full Version : CB Tory James

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-09-2007, 11:40 AM
Veteran CB Tory James was in Green Bay on Thursday for a visit.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-09-2007, 11:43 AM
Found this on packersnews.com

Free agency update: Veteran cornerback James visits

By Pete Dougherty
pdougher@greenbaypressgazette.com

The Green Bay Packers brought in 12th-year pro Tory James for a free-agent visit Thursday and are considering signing him as a possible backup cornerback.

James, 34, has played for Denver, Oakland and, most recently, Cincinnati, where he started every game at cornerback last season.

The Packers are set at starting cornerback with Al Harris and Charles Woodson but have no established Nos. 3 and 4 cornerbacks.

Among the prospects on the roster are Patrick Dendy, who held that role because of injuries and the release of Ahmad Carroll for much of last season, plus Will Blackmon, Jarrett Bush, Tramon Williams and Antonio Malone.

James has visited Tampa Bay, and might visit Seattle. The Packers and James haven't begun contract negotiations, but the Packers were interested enough to bring him in for a visit.

"We'll have to wait and see how it goes," said Mark Bartelstein, James' agent.

The Packers also are believed to be in talks with free-agent fullback Justin Griffith, though there doesn't appear to be urgency to those negotiations. They had Griffith in for a visit Wednesday.

The Packers wanted to make a run at signing free-agent receiver Joe Horn, who played for coach Mike McCarthy when both worked for the New Orleans Saints from 2000 to 2004. But Atlanta owner Arthur Blank put a full-court press on Horn that wouldn't let him out of town without signing a contract Wednesday night.

Under normal circumstances, Horn might have flown to Green Bay on Wednesday to visit the Packers and returned home Thursday to negotiate with both clubs. But because he will fly only when he absolutely has to — such as for games — Horn wasn't on a tight schedule, and the Falcons had little difficulty keeping him around long enough for a lengthy meeting with Blank, according to agent Ralph Vitolo.

Horn was planning to take his luxury bus to Green Bay on Wednesday for a visit Thursday or Friday.

Blank made a strong impression on Horn and increased the Falcons' contract offer significantly, so Horn decided to sign rather than risk having the Falcons' offer fall apart while he was traveling. Horn also is from North Carolina and had a strong desire to stay in the South.

"Joe had a close relationship with (New Orleans owner Tom) Benson and hit it off with Mr. Blank," Vitolo said.

A source with access to NFL salary information said Horn's four-year, $19 million contract includes a $4 million signing bonus and $1 million base salary for this year, plus a $2.5 million salary in 2008 that's guaranteed, with a $2.5 million escalator also for '08 if he meets one of several incentives. In essence, he's receiving $7.5 million guaranteed over the first two years, plus incentives that could earn him another $2.5 million.

MJZiggy
03-09-2007, 01:48 PM
See, I knew there was a good solid reason for Horn not to leave Atlanta... :roll:

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-09-2007, 01:51 PM
See, I knew there was a good solid reason for Horn not to leave Atlanta... :roll:

If were thinking about signing a CB, them why don't we bring in Hood of the eagles. He's like 8 years younger. Whats going on this offseason is staring to become upsetting.

MJZiggy
03-09-2007, 02:00 PM
Seems to me like they're just looking for an insurance policy at this point. I don't think they want a long term answer this year (unless they have their eye on someone in the draft)

prsnfoto
03-09-2007, 02:05 PM
How big is he could he play safety? I have often wondered if coverage is the problem why not move a CB to safety is it that hard of a switch.

KYPack
03-09-2007, 03:15 PM
How big is he could he play safety? I have often wondered if coverage is the problem why not move a CB to safety is it that hard of a switch.

No, he can't play safety.

The two positions have a lot of differences and it's the rare bird that can switch.

You generally move big corners.
James has decent size, but his foot speed is about gone. James is a lot like Harris, a smart old corner that covers with his head, not his feet. You'd hope Dendy would develop into a better player eventually.

FritzDontBlitz
03-09-2007, 05:34 PM
The Green Bay Packers brought in 12th-year pro Tory James for a free-agent visit Thursday and are considering signing him as a possible backup cornerback.

nice to know that teddy the turtle is gonna use that 21 mil to sign some big name third stringers. :x

Bretsky
03-09-2007, 07:07 PM

nice to know that teddy the turtle is gonna use that 21 mil to sign some big name third stringers. :x

I'll take him; TT has broken me. Sign Chuck Cecil !!!!