PDA

View Full Version : Packers Not Joining the Cash Giveaway

woodbuck27
03-09-2007, 03:19 PM
http://www.wbay.com/Global/story.asp?S=6201136&nav=menu24_4

March 9, 2007 09:56 AM EST

Packers Not Joining the Cash Giveaway

So far in free agency, the Green Bay Packers are losing more than they're gaining. General manager Ted Thompson is refusing to get caught up in what so far appears to be a cash giveaway.

So far they worked out a fullback, and scheduled a visit with a wide receiver but Joe Horn never showed up after signing with the Atlanta Falcons. The 35-year-old Horn finalized a four-year deal on Thursday with Atlanta guaranteeing him $7.5 million the first two years.

The Green Bay Press-Gazette reports the Packers are interested in safety Deon Grant, who was most recently with the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Grant's agents did not return our calls, but it could be deja vu for the Packers, since Grant has been in Seattle for the past two days talking contract with the Seahawks.

On the surface, what looks to be inactivity by the Packers could not be more deceiving.

"There is a lot that happens behind the scenes," head coach Mike McCarthy said, "and about 90 percent of what you put into it, you only get about five, ten percent out of it. We have been involved a lot more than people know, and we are perfectly comfortable with our plan."

Comment :

So there you have it. :)

BlueBrewer
03-09-2007, 03:30 PM
I love it when a plan comes together. Hannibal from A-Team

Packnut
03-09-2007, 03:36 PM

Yeah, but that plan is to see if we can finish lower than that mighty 23rd rushing rank from last season............ :cry:

BlueBrewer
03-09-2007, 03:37 PM

Yeah, but that plan is to see if we can finish lower than that mighty 23rd rushing rank from last season............ :cry:

I hope not, but the majik 8-ball says all signs point to yes.

mmmdk
03-09-2007, 05:49 PM
No cash give away in GB but there's digging for diamonds in the rough - so far not so good.

CaliforniaCheez
03-09-2007, 07:49 PM
1) They signed a defensive lineman who can play all four positions and rarely gets injured. Good attitude guy.

2) They signed one of the most expensive longsnappers in the league.

3) They got great value in TE Donald Lee for 595K minimum plus "modest bonus". He has 63 catches for 664 yards. That in a market where the vikings paid 18 million over 5 years with 7 guaranteed for a TE with 35 catches and 253 yards in the same 4 years.

4) Added to their LB and OL depth.

If you calmly look at the market the Packers are doing well. This year they can replace Green and Henderson when last year they did not have sufficient draft choices.

Life is good.

HarveyWallbangers
03-09-2007, 07:51 PM
Now that is funny.

Rastak
03-09-2007, 07:54 PM
1) They signed a defensive lineman who can play all four positions and rarely gets injured. Good attitude guy.

3) They got great value in TE Donald Lee for 595K minimum plus "modest bonus". He has 63 catches for 664 yards. That in a market where the vikings paid 18 million over 5 years with 7 guaranteed for a TE with 35 catches and 253 yards in the same 4 years.

If you calmly look at the market the Packers are doing well. This year they can replace Green and Henderson when last year they did not have sufficient draft choices.

Life is good.

Now I don't know if the guy will be any good, but you MIGHT mention he was behind Shockey AND was asked to be a blocking TE in a two TE set, despite good speed for a TE.

Cmon, truth in reporting.....

red
03-09-2007, 07:57 PM

Life is good.

and how are any of those improvements over what we had? how do them being resigned improve this team?

we need

a starting rb
a fullback
a deep threat WR
2- TE's
about 3 o-linemen to compete for starting jobs and add depth
a corner
a safety
and maybe a SLB

and only 7 draft picks to find those 11 players. not to mention all those draft picks need to be starter quality guys

we need to sign a few guys. that fullback that just went for 1.2 mill would have been a nice addition

retailguy
03-09-2007, 07:57 PM
Now that is funny.

Not really. The boy is sick. Very sick.

esoxx
03-09-2007, 08:20 PM
I think he was just being facetious.

gbpackfan
03-09-2007, 08:28 PM
Ted Thompson is a piece of shit!

CaliforniaCheez
03-09-2007, 08:33 PM
and how are any of those improvements over what we had? how do them being resigned improve this team?

You would not miss them if they were not Packers?
Did you want them to leave for other teams?
They were not members of the 2007 team until signed.

Donald Lee and Cullen Jenkins were frugal prudent signings.
They would have been paid more elsewhere.

red
03-09-2007, 09:03 PM

You would not miss them if they were not Packers?
Did you want them to leave for other teams?
They were not members of the 2007 team until signed.

Donald Lee and Cullen Jenkins were frugal prudent signings.
They would have been paid more elsewhere.

jenkins was the only one i think was worth keeping

i would like all new TE's this year. i wouldn't want a single one from last year. the other two are camp bodies

retailguy
03-09-2007, 09:04 PM
Ted Thompson is a piece of shit!

Careful - I think you are being negative. My gosh, I've corrupted you too! :shock: