PDA

View Full Version : Harlan Says "Fans Don't Want Moss"

GBRulz
03-09-2007, 09:35 PM
http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070309/PKR01/70309217/1989

Harlan says fans don't want Moss

By Dylan B. Tomlinson
Gannett Wisconsin Newspapers

During Bob Harlan’s 36 years with the Green Bay Packers, he’s never stopped talking to the fans.

Harlan, the Packers’ chairman and chief executive officer, answers his own work phone, so fans can call him to talk about just about any topic.

At Packers Fan Fest on Friday, Harlan admitted there’s been one topic the fans feel extremely strongly about: Randy Moss.

Throughout the offseason, the Packers have been rumored to be interested in trading for Moss, who has played the last two seasons with the Oakland Raiders.

Packers fans are most familiar with Moss from his years with the Minnesota Vikings, and Harlan said a lot of fans feel strongly that they don’t want to see Moss in a Packers uniform next season.

“The thing that I’ve heard a lot of is that they’re not in favor of Randy Moss. I’ve had a lot of anonymous calls about that,” Harlan said. “I don’t want to say it’s been overwhelming, but the thing that they say to me is, ‘You guys have so much class, don’t lose that class.’”

While Moss had his share of problems with the Raiders and Vikings, he also is almost certainly better than any of the receivers on the free-agent market. Moss is a six-time Pro Bowler and has 10,700 yards and 101 touchdowns during his nine seasons in the NFL.

Even though Moss struggled last season in Oakland, he would give Brett Favre an additional deep threat and would take pressure off receiver Donald Driver, who faced double teams at times last season.

While Packers fans may not be thrilled about the prospect of adding Moss, those feelings could be changed if Favre embraced the move. ESPN last month reported Favre would be in favor of the Packers pursuing a trade for Moss.

While Harlan was more than happy to talk about the possibility of adding Moss, Packers General Manager Ted Thompson was more tight-lipped.

“You don’t say anything,” Thompson said. “That’s the best way to do it.”

While Thompson hasn’t indicated the Packers are pursuing Moss, he said at last month’s NFL scouting combine that the Packers would be interested in adding a veteran receiver. Thompson has never said the Packers aren’t interested in Moss.

The New England Patriots, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Jacksonville Jaguars all have been rumored to be interested in Moss, but it seems doubtful a trade would be coming anytime soon. The Raiders likely want to make sure they’re getting maximum value for Moss, so if a trade happens, it would seem likely to occur just before next month’s NFL draft.

Between now and then, the Packers will be focused on free agency. Even though the Packers have been quiet on that front, Harlan said he’s confident Thompson will make the right moves.

Harlan admitted some fans are getting a little antsy about the Packers not signing any new players yet.

“Some of the fans I’ve talked to are concerned that we haven’t spent some money,” he said. “But I try to point out that this was how Ted attacked free agency last year. We waited and picked up Ryan Pickett and Charles Woodson and it worked out very well. He’s going to do the same thing this year.”

Dylan B. Tomlinson writes for The Post-Crescent of Appleton. E-mail him at dtomlins@postcrescent.com

red
03-09-2007, 09:38 PM
could have fooled me

i'd have guessed it was about 75-25 in favor of moss

at the very least 50-50

retailguy
03-09-2007, 09:38 PM
Harlan says fans don't want Moss

“Some of the fans I’ve talked to are concerned that we haven’t spent some money,” he said. “But I try to point out that this was how Ted attacked free agency last year. We waited and picked up Ryan Pickett and Charles Woodson and it worked out very well. He’s going to do the same thing this year.”

Pickett and Woodson are available again in Free Agency? THAT'S GREAT! We'll get another great deal. Whooo Hoo! :lol: [/i]

GBRulz
03-09-2007, 09:39 PM
yeah, no kidding, RG. There is nobody left of CW's calibur.

This article though actually is very surprising. Most of the people around here want Moss. We want SOMETHING

ND72
03-09-2007, 09:40 PM
could have fooled me

at the very least 50-50

At fan fest, when they asked ted thompson about it, the entire place eroupted in a chours of boo's when asked if we should go after moss. pretty sure he had at least 2,500 no's.

retailguy
03-09-2007, 09:41 PM

This article though actually is very surprising. Most of the people around here want Moss. We want SOMETHING

Well, I don't want Moss, however, that being said, only the ones who DON'T want him would be calling.

Anecdotal evidence doesn't typically prove anything....

red
03-09-2007, 09:42 PM

i just said in another thread tonight

there was absolutely no reason to wait so long to sign woodson, and no benefit to doing it

we gave him a 7 year 52.7 million dollar deal. one of the biggest contracts signed last year. and we might have been the only one going after him when we made the deal

GBRulz
03-09-2007, 09:43 PM
could have fooled me

at the very least 50-50

At fan fest, when they asked ted thompson about it, the entire place eroupted in a chours of boo's when asked if we should go after moss. pretty sure he had at least 2,500 no's.

I'm pretty sure they were just booing TT :twisted:

red
03-09-2007, 09:44 PM
could have fooled me

at the very least 50-50

packer fans hating on a guy that cut our throat many times.

once he got into a packer uniform and scored his first TD and jumped in the stands people would love him

retailguy
03-09-2007, 09:45 PM
once he got into a packer uniform and scored his first TD and jumped in the stands people would love him

Umm. Not so sure about that one....

Bretsky
We need to organize a FULL COURT PRESS to call Harlan in favor of Moss.

Who is going to organize the calling schedule ?

Charles Woodson
The thing with moss is that he instantly expands our offense. We go from a Pro bolwer and a rookie to a PB a former PB and a rook. idk i think that if people respected our Passing game alot more that it would open up options for our running game.

retailguy

Guerski.

ND72
03-09-2007, 10:01 PM

Guerski.

Harlan is always freely walking around fan fest talking to fans.

GBRulz
03-09-2007, 10:10 PM
Found this video of Fan Fest......

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070309/VIDEO0301/303090062

Kiwon
03-09-2007, 11:11 PM
No mas!....uh, I mean, No Moss!

BF4MVP
03-09-2007, 11:34 PM
I think it's ridiculous that anyone wouldn't want to trade for Moss..He'd help us so much..SO much...

packers11
03-09-2007, 11:47 PM
nooooooooo why BOO... now t.t. will never get moss... I live in New England, ive been to Lambeau once, im about to go back to Lambeau and hold up a sign near all the offices...

WE WANT MOSS....

"WE" as in whoever wants to win...

BF4MVP
03-10-2007, 12:07 AM
nooooooooo why BOO... now t.t. will never get moss...
I'm pretty sure TT doesn't give a fuck what the fans think..He goes about his business regardless of what anyone says..If he thinks Moss can help us, he'll get him..

HarveyWallbangers
03-10-2007, 12:44 AM
The article was a hatchet job--making it look like there's overwhelming opposition to bringing Moss in. Geez, I wonder if that will make Moss thrilled about the prospect of going to Green Bay. Harlan should step down early if he's going to interfere with Thompson on this.

GBRulz
03-10-2007, 09:01 AM
The article was a hatchet job--making it look like there's overwhelming opposition to bringing Moss in. Geez, I wonder if that will make Moss thrilled about the prospect of going to Green Bay. Harlan should step down early if he's going to interfere with Thompson on this.

Harlan has always been good about letting the GM's do their thing. The guy retires in what, May? I will certainly miss him, he's done so much for this organization.

MJZiggy
03-10-2007, 09:04 AM
I couldn't agree more Rulz. Total class there, and from what I've heard a great guy.

oregonpackfan
03-10-2007, 09:40 AM

Bretsky,

I am one vociferous Packer fan who does NOT want Moss on the team! Why? It comes down to one word: CHARACTER, or in Moss' case, lack of character.

If someone organizes a calling schedule, mark me as one Packer fan on your "No Call" list.

GBRulz
03-10-2007, 12:37 PM
If Moss wasn't such a thorn in our side for so many years, would the hate for him still be as strong?

Charles Woodson
03-10-2007, 01:29 PM
If Moss wasn't such a thorn in our side for so many years, would the hate for him still be as strong?
I dont think so

Tony Oday
03-10-2007, 03:47 PM
what number can I call? I want a yes vote. Character WTF are you talking about!!! moss is a pain in the ass some times, he got caught smoking weed...wait no he just admitted to it...ran over the cop? not really heck he barely got in trouble for that one but it was bad press.

Favre...a drunk who was addicted to vicodin...now reformed good family man

Green...hes gone but...beat his wife

Harris...messes with the strippers

How many guys on our team do you think smoke the ganje?

Im not saying Moss is an upstanding citizen but you guys are acting like he is a NBA player :)