PDA

View Full Version : Pack have chance at Peterson

footballfever
03-10-2007, 01:39 AM
http://nfl.com/news/story/10050457

Pat Kirwan has a pretty good track record so if he says it theres gotta be a chance. For all the people wondering what TT is doing this might answer it a little bit, they wouldn't have to trade up 10 spots anymore to get a franchise RB it might now come down to 2 or 3 spots or AP could very well fall into our laps at number 16, stranger things have happened

HarveyWallbangers
03-10-2007, 08:20 AM
I seriously doubt Thompson's plan included having Peterson fall into his lap--which is very unlikely to happen.

RashanGary
03-10-2007, 08:22 AM
What's up ff,

There is very little chance that Peterson falls. If he does, he is a perfect Zone RB but he won't. He's too good. There is a good probabiliyt that Lynch is gone too so to hope for Peterson is very far fetched.

ny10804
03-10-2007, 08:52 AM
Yea, Peterson falling to 16 has zero chance of happening. Lynch is about 70-30 for being picked before 16. Cleveland will likely take Peterson at 4, and Lynch will most likely be a Bill at 12.

Pittman in the second, or Irons, Hunt, or Booker in the third are all legitimate possibilities.

oregonpackfan
03-10-2007, 09:49 AM
I would love to see Peterson as the Packers #1 pick. So would many other teams with draft order choices before the Packers. He will be long gone before the Packers have their turn.

wist43
03-10-2007, 10:23 AM
No way do I see TT trading up... so Peterson is out of the picture; and, there is a decent chance that Lynch will be off the board by 16 as well.

I'm beginning to fear that TT actually believes his own rhetoric that they're "ok at that position"... that said, Bush or Irons, et al are a decent bet in the 2nd round.

No way do I see Morency as having the size, toughness, or North/South mentality to be an every down back. He's a dancer and slasher who won't lower his shoulder to get the tough yards, ala Green.

I'm not of the mindset that TT should be out signing every FA available... there's not much out there that would be a good fit; but, I do hold a grudge at not resigning Green. It may be Brett's last year, and I would have liked to see him furnished with a few more "win now" players. Not that I think they can really do much in the big picture, but in the pathetic NFC, the playoffs aren't out of the question.

Not having a quality veteran at RB definitely hurts the teams chances in '07.

oregonpackfan
03-10-2007, 10:48 AM
Excellent points, Wist.

Without a strong RB, the Packers will be forced to have Favre pass 35-40 times a game. We all know what happens when Favre is foreced to pass that often--he throws passes he shouldn't throw leading to interceptions.

The Packers definitely have to get a quality RB. The current group is not going to cut it.

footballfever
03-10-2007, 10:49 AM
Well you obviously missed the point of the article, with so many of the teams clearly in need of a RB in the top 10 of the draft having signed or dealt for a solid veteran RB the likelihood of Peterson being drafted early has suddenly dissipated, not that I'm gonna go to nflshop.com now and order my Peterson Packer jersey but I believe that we honestly do have a chance to get him at 16 and there's no doubt in my mind that Marshawn Lynch will still be available. The Bills at number 12 are the only ones that might take a RB, even so another top prospect has the chance of falling and that could upset the order of the draft as well. After 12 are the Rams, Panthers and Steelers. I know the Rams and Steelers are set not so sure about the Panthers, but the point is the teams drafting before us have more obvious and glaring needs than RB. So it isn't a gauruntee but the chances have increased for Peterson to be available and we will without a doubt have the opportunity to draft lynch there.

oregonpackfan
03-10-2007, 10:55 AM
Footballfever,

Teams rarely draft "According to needs" anymore. Most teams subscribe to "Take the best player available" theory.

Even if a team is set at a particular position, they often draft a player at that position if he is the best player available. Wtih injuries, holdouts, and free agency, you never know if you are going to lose that established player.

Peterson is one of those "Best players available." He will be gone by the 7th pick, IMO.

MacCool606
03-10-2007, 11:17 AM
Also remember that the farther AP falls, the greater chance that someone elst trades up. I doubt that would be us.

RashanGary
03-10-2007, 11:17 AM
Hey man...It's a lock that he will be gone. He's too good for teams to let pass. If it wasn't for his injury; he might be the best or second best player in this draft.

He's not dropping. I'm not one to be sure of anything when it comes to the draft but I am sure of this. He will not be there at 16 and Lynch probably won't be either.

HarveyWallbangers
03-10-2007, 11:21 AM
Teams rarely draft "According to needs" anymore. Most teams subscribe to "Take the best player available" theory.

Especially in the first round. I seriously doubt that the Falcons or Bills will pass on Peterson. Dunn is going to need to be replaced soon, and I'm not sure Jerious Norwood is the answer. Brown isn't the long-term answer for Buffalo. He was a stopgap. They would definitely take Peterson. The Giants need a long-term solution at RB, and they are more likely to trade up to get Peterson than Green Bay.

KYPack
03-10-2007, 11:28 AM
Yeah, there is NO chance this good a guy falls 16 spots.

There will be a good RB at 16, but it won't even be Peterson.

LEWCWA
03-10-2007, 07:19 PM
I shit gold pellets, too!

red
03-10-2007, 11:42 PM
ap might be the second best RB to come out in a long time (behind bush)

plus we are now in a a rb era. teams what two good rb's on there roster to split the load.

and just because a team has a decent looking rb already on there roster doesn't mean they would pass up maybe the most nfl ready rb to come out in the last 10 or 15 years

i count 8 teams that could take him before us

MJZiggy
03-11-2007, 08:06 AM
Hey man...It's a lock that he will be gone. He's too good for teams to let pass. If it wasn't for his injury; he might be the best or second best player in this draft.

He's not dropping. I'm not one to be sure of anything when it comes to the draft but that I am sure of this. He will not be there at 16 and Lynch probably won't be either.

If there's one thing I've learned following football, it's that NOTHING is a lock. Not saying it will happen but who would have thought we'd end up with AR either?

wist43
03-11-2007, 01:04 PM

He's not dropping. I'm not one to be sure of anything when it comes to the draft but that I am sure of this. He will not be there at 16 and Lynch probably won't be either.

If there's one thing I've learned following football, it's that NOTHING is a lock. Not saying it will happen but who would have thought we'd end up with AR either?

If Peterson turns out to be another Rodgers - then we can only hope that he's gone b/4 #16.

BooHoo
03-11-2007, 05:55 PM
Yea, Peterson falling to 16 has zero chance of happening. Lynch is about 70-30 for being picked before 16. Cleveland will likely take Peterson at 4, and Lynch will most likely be a Bill at 12.

Pittman in the second, or Irons, Hunt, or Booker in the third are all legitimate possibilities.

I can't see Peterson nor Lynch being available at #16. So let's start talking about the next best available. Who is it????

Joemailman
03-11-2007, 06:08 PM
Probably Kenny Irons of Auburn. However, he is seen as a 2nd round pick. So your question would be what does TT go for on the 1st round. WR, TE, S, CB are all possibilities.

Packers4Glory
03-11-2007, 06:08 PM

I can't see Peterson nor Lynch being available at #16. So let's start talking about the next best available. Who is it????

Bush

Joemailman
03-11-2007, 06:19 PM
Many question whether Bush has the cutback ability needed in a zone blocking scheme. At any rate, he is another back who would likely be available in the 2nd round. Personally, the guy sounds like Ron Dayne to me.