PDA

View Full Version : I propose a question to those with panties in a bunch: Who?

Partial
03-10-2007, 07:38 AM
Who should we have signed?

We all wish we had Ahman Green back but he didn't want any of that.

Who cares? He was a 30 year old running back who can't stay healthy.

Now, since people are complaining for the sake of complaining, exactly who should we have signed thats going to step in and contribute immediately and be a massive upgrade? You could argue Steinbach, and thats well and good, but we already spent a second round pick on Darren Colledge. Are you going to throw in the towel on him?

The one player a fair argument could be made for is Deon Grant.

Who should we have signed??!?

RashanGary
03-10-2007, 07:41 AM
Then we can save this thread and after the season we can see who was right.

Partial
03-10-2007, 07:47 AM
I am simply asking who. Everyone is grumbling about how TT is not active in free agency and it is irritating.

Who should he have signed?

Daniel Graham? We already have bubba franks to be a 3rd tackle.
Eric Johnson - Maybe?

Who who who?!??!?!?

RashanGary
03-10-2007, 07:51 AM
Yep, and then when we don't have the $$ to resign Barnett and we have Deon Grant instead what is everyone going to say?

MJZiggy
03-10-2007, 07:54 AM
Actually I was wondering about that myself as I've actually heard people say 'sign anyone.' I don't want just anyone.

prsnfoto
03-10-2007, 07:56 AM
Yep, and then when we don't have the $$ to resign Barnett and we have Deon Grant instead what is everyone going to say?

I would be OK with that. He's worth more he is an elite safety(at least top half), Nick is far from elite.

RashanGary
03-10-2007, 07:57 AM
Actually I was wondering about that myself as I've actually heard people say 'sign anyone.' I don't want just anyone.

On that list of FA's, there were only 3 or 4 good ones that are close to the level of Barnett. I say lock Barnett up at a discount.

MJZiggy
03-10-2007, 07:58 AM
Nick is not a safety. Who would be the linebacker to replace him again?

prsnfoto
03-10-2007, 08:01 AM
I am simply asking who. Everyone is grumbling about how TT is not active in free agency and it is irritating.

Eric Johnson - Maybe?

Who who who?!??!?!?

Deon Grant S
Justin Griffith FB
Eroc Johnson TE

The last two were cheap and better than what we had after that I agree with you they could have went after a RB but most will only be a guy Morency might be a guy. The problem is now since they have addressed nothing all the holes can't be filled by the draft so unless TT finds some gems on the scrap heap we go into next season without improvement.

MJZiggy
03-10-2007, 08:03 AM
The problem is now since they have addressed nothing all the holes can't be filled by the draft so unless TT finds some gems on the scrap heap we go into next season without improvement.

Why not? He made a major overhaul of the o-line in the draft last year...

RashanGary
03-10-2007, 08:06 AM
Barnett averages:

2 sacks
2 ints
4 passes defensed
120 tackles per year

Get's routinely voted as a probowl alternate by coaches and players showing that those who play the game and know the game think of him as a guy who is near the best at his position. Just hitting his prime.

Deon Grant averages:

.75 sacks
2.25 ints
7 passes defensed
50 tackles per game

Never made the prowbowl in his 7 year NFL career. Nearing the end of his prime.

prsnfoto
03-10-2007, 08:08 AM

On that list of FA's, there were only 3 or 4 good ones that are close to the level of Barnett. I say lock Barnett up at a discount.

Nick will not sign for a discount his agent has said several times they would be monitoring Lance Briggs contract since that hasn't come about they have Thomas' who in my opinion signed for less with NE to win a SB. In fairness to Nick he hasn't complained but I think he wants 5 years 40-42 million TT is already playing his cards with the talk of bringing in Donnie Edwards. Nick won't be a Packer unless he has a serious reality check, as I have said before I welcome him back for 5-6 million a year not a nickel more.

RashanGary
03-10-2007, 08:11 AM
42 mil on the new market isn't too bad. I'd just pay him.

prsnfoto
03-10-2007, 08:11 AM
Barnett averages:

2 sacks
2 ints
4 passes defensed
120 tackles per year

Get's routinely voted as a probowl alternate by coaches and players showing that those who play the game and know the game think of him as a guy who is near the best at his position. Just hitting his prime.

Deon Grant averages:

.75 sacks
2.25 ints
7 passes defensed
50 tackles per game

Never made the prowbowl in his 7 year NFL career. Nearing the end of his prime.

Good stats I have only been going from what I have read about him in this forum and sports articles he and Nick are both indeed average. I stand corrected and Grant to was overpaid.

chain_gang
03-10-2007, 08:16 AM
I would say, TE Randy McMichael would have been wise to pursue. With the cap going up quite a bit each year, and also the possibility of gaining much more space when Favre retires, most likely after this year, it also makes it feasible to resign Barnett to a long term deal. Maybe Hodge could take over for Barnett in two years who the hell knows. I'm not for signing all big names, but when you see obvious upgrades and the team can afford it, without sacrificing the long term, you do it. Would McMichael have fit in Green Bay, who the hell knows. Will our #16 pick be in the league for more than 3 yrs, no one knows. If it's Lynch, will he turn out to be another Darrell Thompson? Building through the draft is great, but you need a little seasoning here or there of capable Free Agents.

Another FA I thought would be worth a shot, would be Rod Hood, he'd be perfect to be our nickel corner for a year or two, and take over for Harris after that.

McMichael is 27, and Rod Hood is 25 and both could have been capable of helping the team for years, not to mention a receiving TE is a young QB's best friend when it's their first year starting.

So explain to me how these moves put Green Bay not in position to resign our key players?

If Barnett leaves after next year it won't be because Green Bay doesn't have the money, it's because he can make more on the open market than what Green Bay is offering, I'm sure he's seeing that already, and he's as good as gone next year. Unless TT Franchises him.

prsnfoto
03-10-2007, 08:16 AM
The problem is now since they have addressed nothing all the holes can't be filled by the draft so unless TT finds some gems on the scrap heap we go into next season without improvement.

Why not? He made a major overhaul of the o-line in the draft last year...

We lost our starting RB, we need another WR and have no TE yes the line is an improvement over 2005 but it is a far cry from good, we were max protecting all the time last year thus giving Brett less options. I think they will improve again this year but to think a rookie RB,TE, and WR are all going to contribute in the same year is drinking a lot of Koolaid. I am not in the spend money like water club but some of these needs have to be addressed in FA, maybe TT has a plan he did last year.

GBRulz
03-10-2007, 08:35 AM

Now, since people are complaining for the sake of complaining, exactly who should we have signed thats going to step in and contribute immediately and be a massive upgrade? You could argue Steinbach, and thats well and good, but we already spent a second round pick on Darren Colledge. Are you going to throw in the towel on him?

Other than Green's major injury in '05, what playing time has he missed for you to say "he can't stay healthy" ?

I agree the FA pool is a little thin and there is alot of overpaying going on. But really, what is overpaying when the cap has gone up substantially over the past two years?

Yes, I'm still ticked that Green was let go. Other than that, I really would have liked to see us get Griffith.

And I don't think people are complaining for the sake of complaining. This team is on the upswing and it seems like we're creating more holes to fill instead of taking a step forward. Couple that with the tough schedule next year and I think people have every right to be concerned.

ny10804
03-10-2007, 08:47 AM
I'll play devil's advocate:

Graham would have been a great pickup. He's going to have a Bubba Franks circa 2003-like year with the Broncos.

Travis Henry would have been a very good signing. He would have been a legit #1 back.

Griffith would have given us one of the best players at his position.

Joe Horn would be a great #3 receiver, even if it was only for one year.

Same can be said for Drew Bennett, except for more than one year.

McMichael would be our starting tight end.

Grant would have filled our biggest need.

Dominic Rhodes would have been a good platoon back with Morency.

Brando19
03-10-2007, 09:00 AM
Dominic Rhodes, Ken Hemlin, Justin Griffith, or Graham.

Spaulding
03-10-2007, 09:23 AM
Partial, I'm with you. Although for the wow factor of signing a few FA's for positions of need (FB,RB,WR,TE,S) I'm not that concerned about our roster given the draft is still forthcoming as are continued roster changes straight thru the entire season.

This FA class is clearly very weak. The better question is what is slated to be available next year. Rumor has it (I'm searching for a web site with specifics) that it will be far far deeper barring teams extending contracts during the season. With the salary cap going up as it has more and more players are going to test the market.

TT is thinking long term, many of us are thinking short term as Brett could retire anytime. Logically (not emotionally) it makes perfect sense. Would be interesting to know TT's vision for the next three years.

Not signing some of the available FA's to 1 or 2 year contracts makes me assume he wants to develop the young players on the roster and see what he has rather than stunting threir growth. I buy that.

Not resigning Green I believe was a mistake regardless of the fact he was 30 and coming off a major injury in 2005. He's a flat out player and aside from Brett and Donald, many ways the face of the Packers. I'll hate seeing him in another uniform. He can still contribute, keeps himself in phenominal shape and I see no reason he can't be a solid player for 2-3 more years. This one hurts but all the other actions I have to trust in TT that his master plan will keep the Packers financially able to resign their own better young players (see Kampman, Jenkins) and hopefully Barnett as well as be in a position when the FA class is good and a player fits our schemes and team chemistry that he can act.

All these arguments about TT being too frugal is crap. His job depends on fielding a solid team and so much discussion between him and McCarthy goes on behind closed doors as well as with contacting FA's that the rampant speculation that goes on with the fans is like my wife's "As the World Turns" soap opera.

The draft can't come fast enough!!

oregonpackfan
03-10-2007, 09:34 AM

My sentiments exactly, MJZiggy! I think the majority of FA's are overpriced. In addition, historically the majority of FA's don't make that much of a contribution to their new teams. Yes, there are exceptions like Reggie White, etc. but most FA's, as a rule, are not worth the huge contracts pain to them.

By the wayl, my BVD's are not in a bunch. My wife won't let me wear her panties! :)

HarveyWallbangers
03-10-2007, 10:31 AM
I think the RBs were all overpriced. I really don't mind what Thompson is doing at RB. I'm also cool that we haven't brought in a 3rd WR. The draft is deep at WR.

Randy McMichael would have been perfect for what we need. He wasn't overpriced either. There's no TE left that remotely compares to McMichael.

Justin Griffith would have been perfect for this offense. He wasn't overpriced either.

Deon Grant or Ken Hamlin were the safeties I wanted. Hamlin is still available. Grant is gone.

Rod Hood is the nickel corner I coveted. I'd settle for Frank Walker.

We could have easily have afforded 3 of these guys without long-term cap ramifications.

Packnut
03-10-2007, 10:56 AM

Ken Hamlin
Eric Johnson
Justin Griffith
ANY of the lesser known DB's coming in now who would play the nickel spot

4 simple signings that would'nt break the bank. They would'nt cause ANY future cap problems and they ALL fill a need. These 4 signings make us a play-off team and most importantly, give Favre 1 more chance.

swede
03-10-2007, 11:11 AM
I think the RBs were all overpriced. I really don't mind what Thompson is doing at RB. I'm also cool that we haven't brought in a 3rd WR. The draft is deep at WR.

Randy McMichael would have been perfect for what we need. He wasn't overpriced either. There's no TE left that remotely compares to McMichael.

Justin Griffith would have been perfect for this offense. He wasn't overpriced either.

Deon Grant or Ken Hamlin were the safeties I wanted. Hamlin is still available. Grant is gone.

We could have easily have afforded 3 of these guys without long-term cap ramifications.

Exactly.

You make sound and reasonable points Mr. Wallbanger.

I haven't lost hope or anything with TT, but until the last few days I had thought that his rep for not hiring FA's was distorted to make him seem less reasonable than he actually was.

He either needs a new director of pro personnel or he actively ignores his pro personnel guy the way that Sherman used to ignore his scouts.

He proves me wrong of course when the 2007 draft class produces a TE, a safety, a RB, and another good WR.

MacCool606
03-10-2007, 11:14 AM
I thought Griffith was a given - I didn't think twice about him. I can't believe he went so cheap to the Raiders.

MJZiggy
03-10-2007, 12:05 PM
My wife won't let me wear her panties! :)

I see this as basically a good thing.

Fritz
03-10-2007, 01:44 PM
There are reasons those players are free agents. Yes, some can help, but I trust that TT is moving this team in the right direction. Heck, right off the get go he's better than the people who manage the Queens and the Lions.

The Shadow
03-10-2007, 03:17 PM
Fritz : Once again you are the voice of reason.

Tony Oday
03-10-2007, 03:32 PM
I would say work out a trade and sign with michael turner for our 1st pick

Trade AR and a 5th for Moss

Signing Edwards would have been cheap

I like Hamlin but who isnt scared of a SEA Saftey?

WE need a nickle back but no idea where that would come from.

This is what I would do if I could but hell we would be in cap hell in a couple of years...maybe...

LEWCWA
03-10-2007, 07:18 PM
I believe Hamlin would be nice here, I have to believe they are counting on Bubba being much better next season and have a slew of young guys already. I would have taken a flyer on Henry as well.

Freak Out
03-10-2007, 09:41 PM
Griffith.

Partial
03-10-2007, 09:50 PM

Eric Johnson - Maybe?

Who who who?!??!?!?

Deon Grant S
Justin Griffith FB
Eroc Johnson TE

The last two were cheap and better than what we had after that I agree with you they could have went after a RB but most will only be a guy Morency might be a guy. The problem is now since they have addressed nothing all the holes can't be filled by the draft so unless TT finds some gems on the scrap heap we go into next season without improvement.

But, do you really want Eric Johnson long term? He cannot stay healthy. These guys aren't going to take a one year deal when they can get more guaranteed money by taking a 5 year, even if they may not see it all or not.

Griffith is another that could be argued for, but he's a fullback so it doesn't matter too much. TT probably should have signed him, though.

Partial
03-10-2007, 09:52 PM
I would say, TE Randy McMichael would have been wise to pursue. With the cap going up quite a bit each year, and also the possibility of gaining much more space when Favre retires, most likely after this year, it also makes it feasible to resign Barnett to a long term deal. Maybe Hodge could take over for Barnett in two years who the hell knows. I'm not for signing all big names, but when you see obvious upgrades and the team can afford it, without sacrificing the long term, you do it. Would McMichael have fit in Green Bay, who the hell knows. Will our #16 pick be in the league for more than 3 yrs, no one knows. If it's Lynch, will he turn out to be another Darrell Thompson? Building through the draft is great, but you need a little seasoning here or there of capable Free Agents.

Another FA I thought would be worth a shot, would be Rod Hood, he'd be perfect to be our nickel corner for a year or two, and take over for Harris after that.

McMichael is 27, and Rod Hood is 25 and both could have been capable of helping the team for years, not to mention a receiving TE is a young QB's best friend when it's their first year starting.

So explain to me how these moves put Green Bay not in position to resign our key players?

If Barnett leaves after next year it won't be because Green Bay doesn't have the money, it's because he can make more on the open market than what Green Bay is offering, I'm sure he's seeing that already, and he's as good as gone next year. Unless TT Franchises him.

Rod Hood should be signed if at all possible, but I think he is going to want to start.

Partial
03-10-2007, 09:54 PM

Other than Green's major injury in '05, what playing time has he missed for you to say "he can't stay healthy" ?

I agree the FA pool is a little thin and there is alot of overpaying going on. But really, what is overpaying when the cap has gone up substantially over the past two years?

Yes, I'm still ticked that Green was let go. Other than that, I really would have liked to see us get Griffith.

And I don't think people are complaining for the sake of complaining. This team is on the upswing and it seems like we're creating more holes to fill instead of taking a step forward. Couple that with the tough schedule next year and I think people have every right to be concerned.

He has played in 67% of the games since 2004. That is 2/3 of the time. Not great by any means.

I think they should have tried to keep Green for one year. Give him 10 mil guaranteed? He's gonna be a one-and-done'r in Texas.

I don't know if the moves the Pack are making are good or not, but they haven't won a playoff game since 2003, and before that haven't done anything in the playoffs in years. Maybe addition by subtraction is what they need? Time will tell.

Partial
03-10-2007, 09:56 PM

See, now this is logical. McMichael could be good and he is a player in the past I have been a fan of. I simply question why he was released in exchange for David Martin. Something doesn't add up there, and his numbers went down big time last year.

Griffith would have been good, but I am not too worried because he's a fullback. Too bad though, the price was right.

Stay away from Hamlin. I think he is overrated and an injury risk.

Hood would be amazing, but I think he'll want to start.

MJZiggy
03-10-2007, 09:59 PM
Rod Hood should be signed if at all possible, but I think he is going to want to start.

Hood is now a Cardinal. Too late.

HarveyWallbangers
03-10-2007, 10:11 PM
See, now this is logical. McMichael could be good and he is a player in the past I have been a fan of. I simply question why he was released in exchange for David Martin. Something doesn't add up there, and his numbers went down big time last year.

Actually, his numbers didn't go down at all. In fact, he had the second best season of his career.

2002 - 39 rec, 485 yds
2003 - 49 rec, 598 yds
2004 - 73 rec, 791 yds
2005 - 60 rec, 582 yds
2006 - 62 rec, 640 yds

I think he might an a-hole though. Still, he's a great receiving TE that would have fit perfect with the Packers, and he was signed for under $4M/year. He's only 27 years old.

Hamlin would be an upgrade on Manuel. He started over him in Seattle. He might be a little overrated (he was a Pro Bowl alternate), but I'd feel comfortable going into the season with him as the starting S next to Collins. To me, he has a much better chance of being a good starter than Manuel, Underwood, or Culver. Sure, we could draft a rookie that could be better, but we have so many holes to fill in the draft that we aren't going to be able to fill them all with just the draft.

Partial
03-10-2007, 10:21 PM

Hamlin would be an upgrade on Manuel. He started over him in Seattle. He might be a little overrated (he was a Pro Bowl alternate), but I'd feel comfortable going into the season with him as the starting S next to Collins. To me, he has a much better chance of being a good starter than Manuel, Underwood, or Culver. Sure, we could draft a rookie that could be better, but we have so many holes to fill in the draft that we aren't going to be able to fill them all with just the draft.

Touche on the McMichael thing. I was rather unimpressed with his FF performance so I guess I assumed they went down. Those are pretty darn solid numbers for the guy (especially without a QB) and he doesn't seem to have any injury problems. He would have been a good signing.

Hamlin would certainly be better than Manual, but he wouldn't take a one or two year deal. I don't know that he is the long term answer there and sometimes it just isn't worth the risk. Remember, its a 5k not a sprint.

GBRulz
03-10-2007, 10:21 PM
He has played in 67% of the games since 2004. That is 2/3 of the time. Not great by any means.

67%?? I came up with 71% but whatever.

2001 - started 100% of games
2002 - started 88% of games
2003 - started 100% of games
2004 - started 94% of games
2005 - started 31% of games
2006 - started 88% of games

Started 84% of games if you look at the big picture. This is STARTING. He has played in other games, too in which he hasn't started. Ya know, if you are down on Green, that's fine, but give the guy credit for being a durable back for the most part.

HarveyWallbangers
03-10-2007, 10:24 PM
Technically, he said since 2004. Still misleading numbers. He had the first serious injury of his career and missed most of the 2005 season, so the numbers are going to be skewed.

HarveyWallbangers
03-10-2007, 10:25 PM
I've come to the conclusion that letting Ahman go was probably the right thing, but the fact we've been non-existent in the FA market isn't. There were some good players signed to reasonable deals (Griffith, Grant, McMichael, Johnson). We should have had at least two of those guys.

falco
03-10-2007, 10:25 PM
he hasn't been the same since he got injured in 2004...just a little bit fragile...never knowing what his injury status will be week to week.

not taking anything away from him at all; just saying, he hasn't been dependable the last 3 years.

GBRulz
03-10-2007, 10:26 PM
Technically, he said since 2004. Still misleading numbers. He had the first serious injury of his career and missed most of the 2005 season, so the numbers are going to be skewed.

You are correct, he did say 2004. I missed that. it's misleading when people leave out half the facts to try and make a point though.

Joemailman
03-10-2007, 10:27 PM
This may be the reason Miami let McMichael go:

Legal troubles

McMichael was arrested on July 9, 2005 in Columbia County, Georgia after witnesses told police he gave his wife a bloody nose. His wife, Cawanna McMichael, told police the contact with her husband was an accident as he was throwing some of her belongings out of their 1984 Cadillac Coupe de Ville. Witnesses told police they saw McMichael throw his wife from the car. One witness told police he saw the athlete throw his wife away from the vehicle several times, according to the report. Cawanna McMichael was treated at the scene. According to the police report, McMichael had two glasses of wine and several beers before arguing with his wife, but he refused to take a field Breathalyzer test. [2]

This marked the second domestic incident for McMichael. Prosecutors decided not to file charges after McMichael was arrested in June 2004 and accused of hitting his wife. McMichael had been charged with aggravated battery on a pregnant woman, a second-degree felony that is punishable by up to 15 years in prison.

The contract he got from St. Louis was far less than Daniel Graham got, so it obviously is a concern. Not getting Griffith was the only non-signing that really disappoimted me.

GBRulz
03-10-2007, 10:29 PM
he hasn't been the same since he got injured in 2004...just a little bit fragile...never knowing what his injury status will be week to week.

not taking anything away from him at all; just saying, he hasn't been dependable the last 3 years.

He got injured in 2005 actually. I think he came back pretty damn good for what could easily have been a career ending injury. Especially running behind a young OL.

I know we all have certain things we feel strong about. Losing Green was the sore subject with me I guess you could say! 8)

Partial
03-10-2007, 10:29 PM

You are correct, he did say 2004. I missed that. it's misleading when people leave out half the facts to try and make a point though.

In my defense, its equally misleading to judge his recent injuries by going back to 2001 when he was 24 years old. Of course as an aging workhorse back he is going to break down more over time.

I don't think it was unreasonable to state the last three years as a time frame.

HarveyWallbangers
03-10-2007, 10:36 PM
The contract he got from St. Louis was far less than Daniel Graham got, so it obviously is a concern. Not getting Griffith was the only non-signing that really disappoimted me.

Didn't seem to stop several teams from going after Ahman--including the Packers.

falco
03-10-2007, 10:37 PM

Didn't seem to stop several teams from going after Ahman--including the Packers.

jeez, everybody around here is a moralist.

anyone ever hear of the rule of thumb???

Partial
03-10-2007, 10:41 PM

jeez, everybody around here is a moralist.

anyone ever hear of the rule of thumb???

Don't remember means it didn't happen?

Don't get caught?

falco
03-10-2007, 10:52 PM
Feminists often make that claim that the "rule of thumb" used to mean that it was legal to beat your wife with a rod, so long as that rod were no thicker than the husband's thumb. Thus, one constantly runs into assertions like this:

someone might want to be careful using "rule of thumb" in a sarcastic way. my criminal law teacher at UCLA noted that rule of thumb started in England for punishing wives who cheated on their husbands. the rule was that the rod used to beat them could not be thicker than one's thumb(!).

http://www.debunker.com/texts/ruleofthumb.html

the_idle_threat
03-12-2007, 03:49 AM
I was disappointed that we didn't resign Green, both as a fan, and from the standpoint that the remaining group of running backs seems to be pretty thin. But Green's price seemed to be staggeringly high (and I suspect that Ahman had his heart set on testing free agency). I don't fault TT for failing to match Houston's offer.

I was puzzled that Griffith was not signed, given his fit in the ZBS and because of the mid-range deal he ultimately agreed to. But then I remembered that the best fullback in the draft often goes on the second day. And a fullback suited for the ZBS can probably be found even lower in the draft, since it appears you don't need a true "pounder" fullback, but rather a "tweener"---a bigger and slower halfback. Perhaps even a guy like Noah Herron, if his blocking is up to par.

All things considered, I expect TT will draft well, and will pick up a veteran back on the cheap who can be the thunder to Morency's lightning. Beyond that, who knows?

woodbuck27
03-12-2007, 11:12 AM

He got injured in 2005 actually. I think he came back pretty damn good for what could easily have been a career ending injury. Especially running behind a young OL.

I know we all have certain things we feel strong about. Losing Green was the sore subject with me I guess you could say! 8)

Yes.

If you check Ahman's numbers in 2004 and compared them to last season.Despite coming off serious injury and the inexperienced OL he did comparitively well in 2006.

Based on this and his age (30 years) compared, to say Corey Dillon at 32 years, Ahman appears to have had more to give us.He wanted to remain in Green Bay and he knew his own value.

Obviously that value wasn't the same as TT assessed for him.

The real thorn for Ted Thompson retaining Ahman. The length of contract that he got.

Ted Thompson likes one year contracts for Vet's.