View Full Version : Ted Thompson comments on Free Agency at Fan Fest

motife
03-10-2007, 08:15 AM
Thompson addresses 'owners' at Fan Fest
By Todd Korth
packrepted@aol.com
Posted Mar 9, 2007

Packers general manager stresses importance of developing from within

Ted Thompson addressed fans at the Green Bay Packers’ annual Fan Fest this afternoon in the Lambeau Field atrium. While Thompson was not available to reporters, he did answer questions from former Packers center Larry McCarran while taping a television show that will air statewide tonight.
Thompson has come under heavy criticism thus far in free agency because he has yet to sign any players to fill vacancies left by running back Ahman Green, who signed with Houston, fullback William Henderson (released), or tight end David Martin, who signed with the Miami Dolphins.

Thompson said that the Packers are “working on some things” regarding free agency, but did not elaborate. Coach Mike McCarthy, who also was a guest on the TV show, said that it is important for the team’s younger players to “step up.” McCarthy also said that 75 players have committed to participate in the team’s off-season workout program, which begins on March 19. McCarthy said that is the most of any team in the league.

Here are Thompson’s responses to questions from McCarren:

On if he is surprised by any of the signings in free agency:
“We’ve expected to have some fairly dramatic deals because of the new Collective Bargaining Agreement and the salary cap. If a team felt like they had to address a particular need, then we felt like there would be some good deals.
“We haven’t done anything. We tried to sign Ahman Green and David Martin both, but we didn’t come to an agreement there. We’re still working on some things. Even though we haven’t done anything, or haven’t signed anybody, it doesn’t mean that we’re sitting on our hands. We’re working on it, trying to find the right fit.”

On how he plans to replace Ahman Green:
“First and foremost, we have four young backs on our team that we’re going to try to develop from within. We’ve said it over and over, and Mike and I have talked about this a lot, the best way to become a good, sustaining team, is to develop from within. We’re going to give these guys a shot, and we’re going to bring in some competition for them. You never know what happens in free agency or the draft, but we’re going to count on the guys we have on our team.”

On if Aaron Rodgers is the team’s quarterback of the future?
“Yes, absolutely. Aaron’s working very hard. He’s a fine player. He wants to play, and he understands the position that he’s in. He got injured last year in the only opportunity he had to play, but he’s continued to develop. Mike and I are both very high on him, and he’s going to be a good player.”

On what he can say about trading for Randy Moss:
“You don’t say anything, that’s the best way to do it.”

On how he would characterize the NFL draft:
“We feel very confident that we’ll be able to take a really good player. The key is, ‘Do we know what we’re doing?’ But we know what we’re doing and we’ll get some good players for this team.”

On his thoughts on California RB Marshawn Lynch, whom many speculate the Packers will select with the 16th overall pick:
“He looks like a good player. We just got back from the (NFL) Combine, and a lot of players came through. We’re impressed with this group (of running backs). We feel that the first round is deep enough to take a good player at 16.”

On how far away the Packers are from contending for a Super Bowl title:
“The NFL is a funny business. You can be on the bottom and rise pretty fast. We feel like we’re getting better. We have improved the core of our team. We have some good guys who have brought us some leadership and know their responsibilities. We did pretty good through the course of the season, and it was a tough season because we had some bad games here at Lambeau Field, certainly. We’re going to try to avoid that. We have a chance, as far as predicting, but, again, the best way for us to be successful is for quality improvement from within.”

MacCool606
03-10-2007, 11:35 AM
I used to think TT was being vague and elusive when he answered questions. Now I know he's being honost and that's how he operates.
Geez - It only took me 2 years to figure it out.

Packnut
03-10-2007, 11:53 AM
I used to think TT was being vague and elusive when he answered questions. Now I know he's being honost and that's how he operates.
Geez - It only took me 2 years to figure it out.

I wish someone could just once pin him down on this "improvment from with-in stuff". Where is it gonna come from?

Morency? Some here act like the guy has never had the chance to be a #1 RB. Well, think again. Houston handed him the job and was obviously less than thrilled with his results.

Jennings? I would hope so. It would be nice to see him play for more than 1/4 of the season. Yeah, I know the ankle excuse.....

Colledge, Spitz and Moll? I hav'nt heard anything about them and their strength training so far. I expected someone to write a story about how they are in the gym every day. Still, it took more than 1 season for the last great Packer line to gell so "modest" improvment is all we can expect.

Miree? It did seem like all the accolades on him went away the more he played. Very inconsistent.

On defense Hawk should be better so that's a given. Popp? This is a case of people loving his motor and heart and fooling themselves into thinking he's better than he really is.

Collins- Not if he's teamed with Manuel.

Jenkins- I agree here. He should get better with more playing time.

I just don't see all this "expected" improvment that Teddy does. Potential is the most over-used word in the NFL.........

wist43
03-10-2007, 01:06 PM
I agree with TT when he says that they "improved the core of the team"; but, that's not saying much. Talent wise, the team was all but bankrupt in TT's first year.

That said, this team isn't anywhere near capable of making a playoff run - and, given that the "Favre clock" is constantly ticking, i.e. when he leaves, so does any chance of making a playoff run... making it all the more inexplicable as to why he's not trying to upgrade the talent level now - or at least maintain it (Green).

I think TT is on drugs if he thinks their current stable of RB's is capable of forming a playoff calibur backfield. Letting Green go makes no sense to me; and, given how cheaply Griffith ended up signing for - not signing him on the cheap makes no sense either.

Of the other FA's available - I don't see many that are a very good fit. Granted, you have to assume that there will be another wave of FA's coming free further down the road; but, as of now, it seems TT likes his team, and is going to do precious little to improve the roster thru FA.

Charles Woodson
03-10-2007, 01:27 PM
That said, this team isn't anywhere near capable of making a playoff run - and, given that the "Favre clock" is constantly ticking, i.e. when he leaves, so does any chance of making a playoff run... making it all the more inexplicable as to why he's not trying to upgrade the talent level now - or at least maintain it (Green).

I think TT is on drugs if he thinks their current stable of RB's is capable of forming a playoff calibur backfield. Letting Green go makes no sense to me; and, given how cheaply Griffith ended up signing for - not signing him on the cheap makes no sense either.

Thank you thats what ive been trying to say about Favre

Our RB's right now are nothing more than 2nd and 3rd stringers. We have no one that is talented enough to develop into a Franchise back. If TT does nothing to our Back systems in the draft or Fa than there should be consequences.

The Shadow
03-10-2007, 03:15 PM
I am quite happy with the Packer refusal to overspend for players just because they are available free agents.
I remain confident that the team has a very meaningful deal or two on the burner, and all will be revealed - when it's time.

swede
03-10-2007, 03:35 PM
I am quite happy with the Packer refusal to overspend for players just because they are available free agents.
I remain confident that the team has a very meaningful deal or two on the burner, and all will be revealed - when it's time.

Atta boy, Shadow! Hold down the Optimistic Realists Fort!

It's not easy during FA season.

MJZiggy
03-10-2007, 03:40 PM
Tell me about it... :(