PDA

View Full Version : brian leonard, FB rutgers

red
03-10-2007, 08:45 AM
ok, lets switch from the cluster fuck that is TT"s handeling of free agency to something we will actually use

the draft

we need a fullback, and we aren't going to sign one, so we'll have to draft one

Brian leonard could be that guy

he's 6'1 224

he was the primary rusher for rutgers before moving to FB his senior year

he's pretty fast, i think in the 4.5 -4.6 range, and he has great hands

we could use the two back approach with him. either guy could carry the ball on any play. and when the other guy gets it, leonard can block for him

some things that are in the magazine that i see about him. very unselfish team player, outstanding playing demeanor and football character, and a throwback football player

one knock against him is he's not the best blocker, but he's only done it one year, so i would think that could improve

he might be had in the 3rd

ny10804
03-10-2007, 08:58 AM

Probably not. Not after running a 4.49 40 and benching 225 28 times at the combine. He's more of a 2nd round pick IMO.

I posted this a while ago on a different forum, but I still stand by it:

Just thought I'd rank the RBs, in the order I think they'd most help Green Bay:

1. Adrian Peterson; 6'2 217; 4.40; ?? reps

2. Marshawn Lynch; 5'11 217; 4.46; 20 reps

3. Kenny Irons; 5'10 7/8 198; 4.45; ?? reps

4. Lorenzo Booker; 5'10 3/8, 188; 4.46; 26 reps

5. Brian Leonard; 6'2 226; 4.49; 28 reps

6a. Antonio Pittman; 5'11 195; 4.40; 16 reps

6b. Tony Hunt; 6'1 6/8 239; ?.??; 24 reps

green_bowl_packer
03-10-2007, 09:38 AM
I think if the Packers are going to go straight FB they should go for La'Ron McClain from Alabama. He's been talked about before as the best FB in the draft but not recently since all the Griffith is in the bag talk of the past few weeks. Leonard is talked about more as a RB than FB. McClain could be had in the later rounds, which would allow us to fill other holes first.

Height: 6-01/8 | Weight: 256 | 40-Time: 4.88

Strengths:
Has good size and a very solid and sturdy frame...Hands are great and he is an excellent receiver out of the backfield...Solid blocker who can lead up the middle and adjust in space...Decent short-yardage runner...Versatile and was used in a number of roles...Tough with top intangibles...Has a lot of experience in the SEC.

Weaknesses:
Timed speed is well below average and he lacks a burst...Does not provide much of a threat running the ball...Is not especially explosive as a runner or dominating as a blocker...He needs to refine his technique as a blocker...Split time in college.

Notes:
A good all-around player who does most everything well but nothing great...Will likely have to make his mark as a lead blocker at the next level but his real value will come in the passing game...One of the best players available at his position.

digitaldean
03-10-2007, 10:09 AM

Probably not. Not after running a 4.49 40 and benching 225 28 times at the combine. He's more of a 2nd round pick IMO.

I posted this a while ago on a different forum, but I still stand by it:

Just thought I'd rank the RBs, in the order I think they'd most help Green Bay:

1. Adrian Peterson; 6'2 217; 4.40; ?? reps

2. Marshawn Lynch; 5'11 217; 4.46; 20 reps

3. Kenny Irons; 5'10 7/8 198; 4.45; ?? reps

4. Lorenzo Booker; 5'10 3/8, 188; 4.46; 26 reps

5. Brian Leonard; 6'2 226; 4.49; 28 reps

6a. Antonio Pittman; 5'11 195; 4.40; 16 reps

6b. Tony Hunt; 6'1 6/8 239; ?.??; 24 reps

Yeah, I think he'll get snapped up quick. Remember watching him in a couple games, especially the Louisville win. The guy was a beast.

The Shadow
03-10-2007, 11:38 AM
Leonard is an intriguing guy - sort of a cross between Paul Hornung & Jim Taylor.

red
03-10-2007, 11:50 AM
the thing that makes me think maybe he'll last longer then the 2nd is because he just wasn't very productive in college

i think the most yards he had in a year was like 750

the guy is pretty much a short yardage guy, even though he has good speed

i would like him, he sounds exactly like the type of guy you want on your team

he might be worth a 2nd rounder to us, maybe

maybe if we could swing a trade and get another 2nd rounder

Joemailman
03-10-2007, 06:28 PM
Leonard is an intriguing guy - sort of a cross between Paul Hornung & Jim Taylor.

Wow! Are you his agent? :wink:

Here is what Sporting News says about him. THey have the Giants taking him in the 3rd round, 17th oick, which is very high to take a fullback.

PROJECTION:

New York Giants
Round 3, Pick 17

Overall grade: 6.5
Position rank: 1
NFL comparison:
Chris Perry, Bengals

BRIAN LEONARD MEASURABLES
Height: 6-1 Weight: 226
40-yard dash: 4.55 10-yard dash: 1.58
20-yard shuttle: 4.23 60-yard shuttle: 11.59
Broad jump: 10-2 225-lb. bench: 28
3-cone drill: 6.88 Vertical jump: 34
Wonderlic: 20-yard dash: 2.61

War Room analysis
Blocking: Has improved, but doesn't deliver a violent blow. Shows the athleticism, size and strength to be effective in most situations. Works well in pass protection. Grade: 5.5

Durability: Seldom missed a down in college. Shows good toughness, strength, athleticism and competitiveness. Grade: 7.5

Receiving skills: Is outstanding; has better hands and receiving skills than most NFL tailbacks. Can run numerous pass routes. Has lined up as wide receiver. Grade: 9.0

Inside running: Is shifty and strong, and moves well in tight spaces. Can absorb a hard hit, stay afoot and keep on going. Runs through arm tackles. Must better learn to lower shoulders and punish would-be tacklers. Grade: 7.0

Outside running: Is excellent for a fullback. Follows blockers, and cuts off them nicely. Shows good instincts and vision. Uses size and strength to run through smaller defenders and gain yardage after contact. Grade: 7.5

Bottom line: Leonard, as a ball carrier, could be graded too high by teams that fall in love with his toughness, instincts, vision and competitiveness. Other teams might rip him because of his inconsistent lead blocking, believing he never will improve. We believe Leonard has many rare traits and could play tailback, fullback, H-back and, at times, wide receiver. He never will be a dominant lead blocker but should be good enough to start at fullback in the NFL. It's his potential as a ball carrier and receiver we value most.

LEWCWA
03-10-2007, 07:09 PM
The guy is a great player to have on your team, but not the guy you want starting at fullback.

Partial
03-10-2007, 09:58 PM
He is one of the guys I really like. He doesn't have a true position. He is a rich man Noah Herron. An extremely intelligent and good football player.

RashanGary
03-10-2007, 10:25 PM
He'd be a perfect zone fullback. According to teh coaches, it takes less braun and more finess. He'd also be the perfect 3rd down back being good at coverage and excellent at recieving out of the backfield.

Partial
03-10-2007, 10:30 PM
He'd be a perfect zone fullback. According to teh coaches, it takes less braun and more finess. He'd also be the perfect 3rd down back being good at coverage and excellent at recieving out of the backfield.

Problem is a second round pick is too high for a guy like that. It's a shame, really.

OS PA
03-10-2007, 10:30 PM
Why are we completely forgetting about Brandon Miree? I know he wasn't much of a threat to catch passes out of the backfield, but in the games that he played we had a pretty potent running threat. Our RB's didn't really produce much when he was out of the lineup. With Griffith out of the picture now i'd much rather spend a year seeing if Miree can continue to produce than a 2nd or 3rd round pick on a career fullback.

Partial
03-10-2007, 10:32 PM
Why are we completely forgetting about Brandon Miree? I know he wasn't much of a threat to catch passes out of the backfield, but in the games that he played we had a pretty potent running threat. Our RB's didn't really produce much when he was out of the lineup. With Griffith out of the picture now i'd much rather spend a year seeing if Miree can continue to produce than a 2nd or 3rd round pick on a career fullback.

Yep, I whole-heartedly agree

RashanGary
03-10-2007, 10:36 PM
I agree Partial. Our 2nd is a little high for a guy who has no real position.

OKC PackerFan
03-10-2007, 11:50 PM

Bingo, if he's still there in the 4th TT better pick him.

MJZiggy
03-11-2007, 08:21 AM

He needs a backup. Maybe not 2nd or 3rd rd., but I don't want to have to see a TE do it should Miree have an injury.

Bretsky
03-11-2007, 10:42 AM

He needs a backup. Maybe not 2nd or 3rd rd., but I don't want to have to see a TE do it should Miree have an injury.

We need a bunch of backups; starters too. FB is down the list of worries :wink: