PDA

View Full Version : Los Angeles Viqueens

red
03-10-2007, 11:45 AM
from the st. paul pioneer press

Conspiracy theory: Vikings purposely self-destructing
TOM POWERS

We are a nation of skeptics and, as a result, generate an abundance of conspiracy theories.

Those barcodes on the merchandise that we purchase? The government tracks them all, thereby keeping tabs on us. And we never really landed on the moon, you know. It was all staged in a Hollywood studio to lift the spirits of a nation. Remember how the American flag rustled after it was planted? There's no air on the moon.

And, of course, Elvis isn't really dead. He's eating a peanut butter and bacon sandwich on an island in the Pacific.

Actually, there might be some truth to that last one. I'm almost positive I caught a glimpse of him on a beach in Hawaii. It either was him or Sidney Ponson.

Here in Minnesota, there is a relatively new conspiracy theory, but one that is gathering tremendous momentum. At first, a couple of Vikings fans tossed it out there like a bad joke. Now I hear it every single day from people who are convinced it is true.

It goes like this: Zygi Wilf is trying to kill interest in the Vikings so it will be easier to move the team.

Come on, I always reply. Nobody is that rotten.

Or … are … they?

(Insert creepy pipe organ blast here, just like in the movies.)

Wilf's first official news conference as Vikings owner took place in June 2005. Some of us were, uh, skeptical. Remember that he came out of nowhere to own the team. One day, it's going to be Reggie Fowler. Then suddenly, like a stripper at a bachelor party, Zygi jumps out of the cake smiling and waving.

And I don't even like cake, never mind one with a Wilf filling.

But on that otherwise sunny day at Winter Park, he stuck his chin out and appeared to at least try to address what was on everyone's mind: "If we're stuck in the Metrodome," he said, "we're stuck in the Metrodome. But we'll be here in the Twin Cities area forever. (Moving) is not an option.''

Flash forward to 2007. He's stuck in the Metrodome.

Here's a recent quote from Lester Bagley, the Vikings' vice president in charge of stadium development, on Gov. Tim Pawlenty: "At some point he is going to have to help us find a solution to this long-standing issue. He has long told our ownership that he wants to work with us to solve the Vikings' stadium problem, to keep us healthy and in this state."

I don't think he meant state of mind.

So this marks a shift in rhetoric, although one that certainly was to be expected. Everybody needs some kind of leverage to get things done. But there was surprisingly little panic from the peanut gallery after those well-publicized remarks. Partly, I figure, because, well, a lot of people have lost interest in a team that has become dull, predictable and oblivious to public opinion.

Hmmmmm.

Still, just because Wilf — in large part via the stubborn and so-far inept Brad Childress — is doing a good job of killing interest in the franchise, it doesn't mean he's actually trying. He's just naturally good at it. And there isn't a strong football figure in a position of authority to turn things around.

Here's the litmus test: Do you think the Wilf family would be happier going to the Super Bowl next season or going 2-14, even if the latter meant a less bumpy path out of town? Yes, agreed. They would be happier winning.

So he might be a bad owner, but he's probably not an evil one. That's my theory on this conspiracy theory, anyway. Oh, and I do wonder about those barcodes.

We'll have to see how the stadium issue plays out. At some point, something probably will happen on the Metrodome's current site. And Minneapolis will give him a couple of city blocks to play with.

With luck, it will all come together. But I do get irritated at the notion that we somehow owe him a stadium right this very minute — yesterday, in fact. Nobody twisted his arm to buy the team.

Maybe someone should ask Wilf the following question:

"What have you done for this state, other than to take a pretty good football team and turn it into a lousy one — and alienate half the fan base in the process?

Tom Powers can be reached at tpowers@pioneerpress.com.

-----------------------------------

from pft

VIKES TANKING IT?

Tom Powers of the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports that there is growing suspicion in the Twin Cities that Vikings owner Zygi Wilf is purposely running the franchise into the ground in an effort to set the stage for a move to greener pastures.

Although we find it highly unlikely that any NFL team would try to lose in the short term in the hopes of killing local interest so that a move would be met with cheers instead of jeers, there's evidence that a relocation could be in the team's future.

Though Wilf expressed a strong desire to keep the team in Minnesota when he purchased the property from Red McCombs in 2005, Wilf's minions are now singing a slightly different tune.

The team's V.P. in charge of stadium development, Lester Bagley, recently had this to say about the sputtering efforts to build a new venue: "At some point [Governor Tim Pawlenty] is going to have to help us find a solution to this long-standing issue. He has long told our ownership that he wants to work with us to solve the Vikings' stadium problem, to keep us healthy and in this state."

If the team is never moving out of Minnesota on Wilf's watch, the phrase "in this state" has the same meaning in that passage as would the terms "in this country" or "on this planet." As we see it, then, those last three words were intended to put the people on notice, implicitly for now, that the Minnesota football team could soon join the former Minnesota basketball team in Southern California, if a new stadium isn't built.

But making the team into a stinker isn't the way to leverage a new deal. Especially since the fickle L.A. fan base wouldn't be too keen on a team that has zero prospects under Zygi of delivering victory on a consistent basis.

-------------------------------

reds note:

this would be a low blow move if wilf is doing this. it would rank up there with the browns moving.

team has a great fanbase (although full of assholes), and always sell the place out

they have full support from their fans, no matter how much they suck

how could you move a team like that?

esoxx
03-10-2007, 11:53 AM
I don't think they're tanking it to move. There's just general incompetence in their organization.

I almost feel bad for their fans b/c they had to put up with a skin flint like Red McCombs who ran the team on a shoestring budget (see coaching staff).

Then the fans get hope when Wilf comes in and he goes out and jumps at the first guy that comes through to hire as head coach. Brad Childress is a mistake that should have been removed after one season ala Les Steckel. Until he is there will be bad times in Minnesota.

red
03-10-2007, 11:59 AM
I don't think they're tanking it to move. There's just general incompetence in their organization.

I almost feel bad for their fans b/c they had to put up with a skin flint like Red McCombs who ran the team on a shoestring budget (see coaching staff).

Then the fans get hope when Wilf comes in and he goes out and jumps at the first guy that comes through to hire as head coach. Brad Childress is a mistake that should have been removed after one season ala Les Steckel. Until he is there will be bad times in Minnesota.

they're probably thinking the same thing about us

"look at those poor bastards over there, their GM won't do anything to improve that team"

Jimx29
03-10-2007, 12:02 PM
>>Here in Minnesota, there is a relatively new conspiracy theory,<<

Relatively new??
This has been going on for years......every time there's new owners it's pops back up to the top. When Red McCombs had the team it's was an absolute that he was moving the team, and also when he bought it from the group of owners before him it was talked about.

MJZiggy
03-10-2007, 12:12 PM
I think it's just fun to watch...

oregonpackfan
03-10-2007, 12:32 PM
I grew up in Wisconsin hating the neighboring Minnesota Vikings.

Now that I live 1,800 miles away from them, the last thing I want is the Vikings moving out west to a neighboring state again. Keep them in Minnesota, please!

mngolf19
03-10-2007, 03:55 PM
Never believe anything you hear from The Pioneer Press or PFT. All they do is make up stuff for controversy. I'm sure they could barely keep a straight face typing it. I'm surprised any of you would want the Vikes to move anyway. Takes away from a great rivalry. I can't stand the Packers, but the last thing I would want is to have them move away. Stupid.

Cheesehead Craig
03-10-2007, 04:15 PM
Gov Pawlenty will not use state monies to help in any stadium. He's not only said that in his campaign, but lived up to it while in office. The Vikes blaming him is disingenuous, they knew what he said and did when they bought the team.

The Vikes had a deal started in Anoka County and were gaining momentum, then when the Twins were a lock to get $ for their stadium from Hennepin Co, the Vikes tried to jump on the legislation to get their guaranteed money. It failed worse than a 6 yr old trying to do a layup on Mutombo.

Anoka Co got pissed and rightfully so and pulled all $ off the table. Heaven help the Vikes if they try to make a 7 county tax like they have last offered.

As much as I love the NFC North and think it's a perfect division, the Vikes are likely gone in 2011 or 2012 from MN (when the infamous Rozelle letter expires) if the state does not contribute any money towards a stadium (which is highly unlikely).

LA or Vegas. Oh, and likely the Viking moniker will be gone also. Re-alignment will happen and the Rams will be in the North and the Vikes (or whatever their name will be) will be in the West. Vegas would give tons of money for a stadium and a team.

It's a real game of chicken here in MN. The populous is daring the Vikes to leave.

Scott Campbell
03-10-2007, 06:01 PM
I'm surprised any of you would want the Vikes to move anyway. Takes away from a great rivalry.

What rivalry? The Bears our the Packer's rival. The Vikings (much like the Lions) are junior members of the division. They're annoying every 10 years or so when they stumble into a decent team. But otherwise they're just there taking up space on the schedule.

I can't really say that I want them to go. But I can't really say that I want them to stay. I don't really care. I guess it might be nice to replace them with a competent organization.