PDA

View Full Version : Bought 3 Draft Mag. Did anyone else do the same?

pack4to84
03-10-2007, 08:46 PM
Sportingnews Draft Guide, Profootball Weekly, Lindy's Draft Guide.

Profootball Weekly has the Pack drafting---Lynch
Lindy's----Lynch--2nd M.McCauley cb
Sportingnews-Jarrett wr----2nd Darby rb----3rd Irons cb
other view of rd 1 Pompe! has J.Anderson DE, Dillon has Lynch, Hayes has Lynch
Last year I bought 4 draft mags but this year could only find 3. Did anyone else buy any draft guides? or I'm the only nut here.

pack4to84
03-10-2007, 10:00 PM
SportingNews past draft analysis
'02 C+
'03 D-
'04 D
'05 B-
'06 A-

The Shadow
03-10-2007, 10:03 PM
Have those 3; now awaiting the ESPN version, which was quite good last year.
Of the other three, Sporting News seemed the best.
Pro Football Weekly's version seemed to have been done before the Combine (prob. to simply hit the stands first), and seems decidedly 'off' in player evaluations/rankings.

pack4to84
03-10-2007, 10:12 PM
Have those 3; now awaiting the ESPN version, which was quite good last year.
Of the other three, Sporting News seemed the best.
Pro Football Weekly's version seemed to have been done before the Combine (prob. to simply hit the stands first), and seems decidedly 'off' in player evaluations/rankings.
Finally a true NFL fan like me. I just knew it had to be you Shadow, because you predict to many Packers scores. I couldn't remember the other mag, ESPN wow how could I forget that.

The Shadow
03-10-2007, 10:41 PM
pack4to84:
Thanks.
I love draft time.
I'm sitting beside my antique draft collection; I remember driving down to the Pro Football Weekly office on Peterson Street -way back when - to get what was , at that time, the only draft book available.
Now, it seems like having 4 - to compare scout opinions - seems about right.

wist43
03-10-2007, 11:12 PM
PFW tends to have the best writers and analysis... even if it isn't the most timely. Although Buschbaum's death seemed to hurt them... Buschbaum had everyone's respect, and generally speaking, if he wrote it, it was accurate. He never blindsided anyone.

Players move up and down boards right up until draft time - but, for my money, if they haven't done it on film, they're probably a tease.

That's not to say you don't take the combine and workout numbers into consideration, but many a GM has gotten suckered by good workout numbers - when the whole time the guy was nothing more than a workout warrior.

red
03-10-2007, 11:22 PM
you know, we had to wait till after the combine for all this crap to come out. now they're out and none of them use the combine number

i've looked at about 4 in the last few days, and they all have greg olsen at an estimated 4.74 40 time

they still have estimates for all these guys, no real numbers

so i'm a little put off by all of them, they seem to be using old info

PlantPage55
03-11-2007, 12:44 AM
Now that I'm officially on Spring Break - I shall begin my annual Draft Guide purchasing extravaganza.

pack4to84
03-11-2007, 01:19 AM
you know, we had to wait till after the combine for all this crap to come out. now they're out and none of them use the combine number

i've looked at about 4 in the last few days, and they all have greg olsen at an estimated 4.74 40 time

they still have estimates for all these guys, no real numbers

so i'm a little put off by all of them, they seem to be using old info
I was shocked when I saw they had Olson 40 at 4.74 or 4.65 and 2 mags had him 2nd best TE

green_bowl_packer
03-11-2007, 08:28 AM
FYI - If you get profootball weekly's draft guide you also get a online version of the predraft issue (April) and the post draft analysis issue (May) for free.

The Shadow
03-11-2007, 11:35 AM
Last year, A.J. Hawk was -for me, at least - the absolute no-brainer player I was praying for the Packers to take.
This year, I am a windsock. Everytime I wade thru the draft mags, I come away thinking about another player.

Scott Campbell
03-11-2007, 11:39 AM
Last year, A.J. Hawk was -for me, at least - the absolute no-brainer player I was praying for the Packers to take.
This year, I am a windsock. Everytime I wade thru the draft mags, I come away thinking about another player.

As you should be. The further away from the top of the draft board you get, the closer the differences between players.

The Shadow
03-11-2007, 11:42 AM
This year, even at the top, I would be hardpressed to identify a player - besides Johnson - who I really like.

BooHoo
03-11-2007, 11:49 AM
I don't buy all of the sports magazines but look at different draft sites on the internet. Many sites could be clones of each other. Do they have their own analysis people or do they copy and paste from a few chosen sites. If it is copy and paste method, then maybe I could start my own site. :)

red
03-11-2007, 02:47 PM
I don't buy all of the sports magazines but look at different draft sites on the internet. Many sites could be clones of each other. Do they have their own analysis people or do they copy and paste from a few chosen sites. If it is copy and paste method, then maybe I could start my own site. :)

i would guess that 99% of those site have never watched more then 15 or 20 of those players ever play a game. so they have nothing to base their opinions on except other sites they find on the web

BooHoo
03-11-2007, 05:45 PM
I am glad I am not alone in my thinking about web sites.