PDA

View Full Version : Hawk/Calhoun

HarveyWallbangers
04-26-2006, 12:37 PM
Give me this dozen — and I'll whip your butt
By Dan Pompei - SportingNews

Part of Jimmy Johnson's draft tradition was to take in all the information from his scouts, then identify 10 to 15 players he wanted on his team. Each might not have fit the mold of what a player at his position was supposed to look like, but every one was a playmaker. Johnson did what he could to get them.

In my annual ode to Jimmy, I pick a dozen playmakers I would try to get on my team this weekend.

Early first round: A.J. Hawk, Ohio State linebacker. I'm not saying I would take him ahead of Reggie Bush, who has the most potential for greatness of any player in the draft. But Hawk is the safest pick. And he has considerable potential for greatness. If he stays healthy, he will give life to a defense, a team and an organization before he is through.

First to second round: Abdul Hodge, Iowa linebacker. He will lead a team in tackles for the next 10 years.

Second round: Charlie Whitehurst, Clemson quarterback. Physically, he doesn't lack anything, and there were reasons why he was an inconsistent performer in college. As a senior, he played with an injured shoulder. And he played under three offensive coordinators during his college career. With some health and stability, Whitehurst will excel in the NFL.

Second to third round: Jeremy Trueblood, Boston College offensive tackle. He's no ballerina, but if you're looking for a gritty blocker who will set the tone for your line with his effort and his toughness, Trueblood is your man.

Third round: Brian Calhoun, Wisconsin running back. The people who say he's too small never have tried to tackle him.

Third round: Kyle Williams, LSU defensive tackle. What he lacks in size and speed, he makes up for in feel for the game and hustle. He might not make a Pro Bowl, but I'll take 11 guys like him and whip your behind every Sunday.

Fourth round: Elvis Dumervil, Louisville defensive end. A lot of people get stuck on 5-11, the number that represents his height. I get stuck on 20, the number of sacks he had last season. And 11, the number of fumbles he caused.

Fifth round: Garrett Mills, Tulsa H-back. The problem with Mills is he doesn't fit a position. At 6-1, he's too short for a tight end. He's not powerful enough to be a lead-blocking fullback. He moves and catches like a wide receiver, except without the speed. Under a creative game planner, Mills can be a highly productive pro who causes matchup problems in the passing game by lining up all over the field.

Fifth round: Tarvaris Jackson, Alabama State quarterback. His raw skills are intriguing. It probably would take two or three years, but he could develop into something special.

Sixth round: Reed Doughty, Northern Colorado safety. They say he can't run, but he does everything else well. And he makes up for his lack of speed by knowing where to be and playing with passion.

Sixth round: Marques Colston, Hofstra wide receiver. He's going to drop some balls, but he's also going to make a few catches hardly anyone else could make. And there's room for improvement in his game.

Seventh round: Steve Fifita, Utah defensive tackle. I like the way he steps up in big games. He's a poor man's Kyle Williams.

Partial
04-26-2006, 01:08 PM
Great post;

How do you feel Hodge fits our system? If they do in fact trade Walker, they could successfully add Hodge and Joseph. Hawk, Hodge and Joseph sure look like three good starters in the first two rounds to me.

Harlan Huckleby
04-26-2006, 02:09 PM
First to second round: Abdul Hodge, Iowa linebacker. He will lead a team in tackles for the next 10 years.

Third round: Brian Calhoun, Wisconsin running back. The people who say he's too small never have tried to tackle him.

Is Hodge a brother of the new linebacker at Wisconsin? I think so.

And Brian Calhoun is not lasting until the third round. I would be happy to see the Packers take him with 2nd.

HarveyWallbangers
04-26-2006, 02:25 PM
No way would I take Calhoun in the 2nd round. You don't draft a 3rd down back in in the top 40 picks. That's what Calhoun will be on the pro level.

Harlan Huckleby
04-26-2006, 02:32 PM
Maybe you are right on that, Harvey. I see Calhoun as a real weapon, though, might even to be used as a reciever in addition to RB. I have a very high opinion of Calhoun.

HarveyWallbangers
04-26-2006, 02:34 PM
Homer.
:D

Harlan Huckleby
04-26-2006, 02:35 PM
Homo :evil:

HarveyWallbangers
04-26-2006, 02:43 PM
Maybe. Want to go camping?
:D

Harlan Huckleby
04-26-2006, 02:48 PM
OK, here's a great, great joke you can try on somebody. A real killer.

You say," If you woke up in the middle of the woods, all groggy and sore, with a condom dangling out of your butt, would you call the police?"

They say, "Uhh, no ..."

You interupt, "Want to go camping?"

So funny, a real crowd pleaser, appropriate for all occasions.

I tried this joke on Mad, and he launched into a long speech on his history with the police, and his feelings about the woods, etc. I told him (in instant messenger) "Just say NO, asshole", but he resisted for about 10 interactions. And when I was finally able to deliver the punch line, he said it was a stupid joke. What a jerk.

Scott Campbell
04-26-2006, 05:16 PM
One Whitehurst was enough for this franchise.

Steve Fifita was terrific at Utah. He's a little undersized height wise, but has a huge heart.

HarveyWallbangers
04-26-2006, 07:10 PM
One Whitehurst was enough for this ranchise.

I sort of feel the same way (felt the same way when we took a Cal QB last year), but if his name wasn't Whitehurst, I think he looks like the best QB prospect in the draft after the Big Three.

Bretsky
04-26-2006, 07:16 PM

I sort of feel the same way (felt the same way when we took a Cal QB last year), but if his name wasn't Whitehurst, I think he looks like the best QB prospect in the draft after the Big Three.

HAWK AND HODGE WOULD LEAVE THIS DEFENSE SET AT LB FOR TEN YEARS; THAT WOULD BE FANTASTIC !!

Don't like Whitehurst much; other than him I like all your guys.

Chubbyhubby
04-27-2006, 12:11 AM

HAWK AND HODGE WOULD LEAVE THIS DEFENSE SET AT LB FOR TEN YEARS; THAT WOULD BE FANTASTIC !!

Don't like Whitehurst much; other than him I like all your guys.

I have David Whitehurst Autograph back in '78 when played for the Packers. I was 8 at the time. Charlie's Dad.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-27-2006, 12:14 AM
Calhoun could turn out to be the next Tiki Barber, but Pack dont need him at this moment. We have the GREAT AHMAN GREEN, and LenDale White (Davenport).