PDA

View Full Version : This year should be nothing less than playoffs / Superbowl..

packers11
03-11-2007, 06:34 PM
Why do the "we" the fans expect lower requirements/standards ever since the 4-12 season... Every year this team should be competitive, I realize it needed a year or two to get back from the draft disasters but this year we should be expecting the "SUPERBOWL OR BUST" quotes...

If people say "ohhh it takes 3-4 years to rebuild, we are still rebuilding" are you JOKING?!? Easily with FA and the draft a team can rebound after 2 seasons (the most)...

RashanGary
03-11-2007, 06:40 PM
Yawn,

There are 32 teams in the league. Do you realize the odds of making it every year are slim..

Brando19
03-11-2007, 07:02 PM
Yawn,

There are 32 teams in the league. Do you realize the odds of making it every year are slim..

32 teams? That's a given. There's 4 teams in each division. I think that gives us a 1 in 4 shot at making the Playoffs.

falco
03-11-2007, 07:05 PM
Yawn,

32 teams? That's a given. There's 4 teams in each division. I think that gives us a 1 in 4 shot at making the Playoffs.

Actually, all things being equal, we've got a 1/4 plus 2/12 shot at the playoffs, which would mean 5/12 or 42% chance.

ND72
03-11-2007, 09:17 PM
Not only do I not expect us to make the playoffs, I expect us to have a losing record. If we didn't play the 49ers, Lions, Vikings, and Bears to end the year, I don't think we even make 8-8. We're all blinded by shit ass teams at the end of the year. We weren't a playoff team. Sorry. We're not close to a playoff team yet either. And being in the NFC, that means something.

MJZiggy
03-11-2007, 09:21 PM
Then why do we bother to watch the games?

packers11
03-11-2007, 09:23 PM
Then why do we bother to watch the games?

better yet... why even play the games???

Green Bud Packer
03-11-2007, 09:25 PM
and the pack still play the lions, queens, and bears.

DannoMac21
03-11-2007, 09:27 PM
Not only do I not expect us to make the playoffs, I expect us to have a losing record. If we didn't play the 49ers, Lions, Vikings, and Bears to end the year, I don't think we even make 8-8. We're all blinded by shit ass teams at the end of the year. We weren't a playoff team. Sorry. We're not close to a playoff team yet either. And being in the NFC, that means something.

Well of course not, we'd be 2-7 then. 16 games in a season man. C'MON!

*Turns off sarcasm*

b bulldog
03-11-2007, 09:28 PM
ND, what is your outlook for the Irish in 07? I think 8-8 will be the Packers record in 07 but I think they are close to being a playoff caliber team in the pathetic NFC, that isn't saying much.

packers11
03-11-2007, 09:31 PM
Who in the division besides the Bears stand in the packers way???

Next question :

Who have the Bears picked up in FA that will IMPACT their team...

Thank you...

Being 8-8 / 9-7 might clinch the division... But I expect a 10-6 or better IF ... BIG IF... the packers get my boy Randy Moss... :)

Charles Woodson
03-11-2007, 09:32 PM

THANK YOU. Its about time someone read my post.

As i have stated a few times we beat ONE team ONE TEAM over .500. And that was the bears at the end of the seasons. We got blown out more times than we blew people out. good teams like the Eagles and basically most of the other teams that beat us were good teams. If we would have gotten in the playoffs alot of people here would be in for a big surprise.

A common phenomenon I have noticed in the NFL is teams with lackluster talent somehow finding a way to win a few more games than they probably should, thus taking them out of contention to land the type of elite player in the draft that they still need. Unfortunately for the Cheeseheads I'm afraid that might be the case with Green Bay this year because even though they finished with a .500 record at 8-8 they are still probably among the bottom 5-7 teams in the league when it comes to overall talent.

I dont agree with all of that but it does sum it up nicely. Flat out if we hadnt had the secound easiest schedule we would be picking top 10 again. Guys our talent level just isnt high enough. Yes players will mature and grow better. But right now iam really able to see that yes even though this will be one of Bretts last years, and i want him riding out on top, that unless we add more talent were not going to do much. Talent like Rod Hood as a Nickle, Justin Griffith at FB, Moss at Reciver, Deion Grant/Ken Hamlin at Saftey, Randy McMichales/Eric Johnson/Jermey Stevens at Tight End. Since we didnt do any of these it means that for a playoff hope Ted will have to hit on alot of his draftees. He doesnt have much room for mistake right now. He has never been big on Free Agents and that is his biggest fault. It puts alot of pressure on his drafts. So Yea

Charles Woodson
03-11-2007, 09:34 PM
-Wins: Detroit Miami Arizona, Minnesota San Fransisco Detroit Minnesota Chicago.

-Loses: Chicago, New Orleans, Phili, Saint Louis, Buffalo New England Seattle, New York.

Times we blew someone out (more than 10 points): 4 times, Detroit, Miami, Arizona, Chicago

Times we got blown out by someone (more than 10 points): 6 times, Chicago, Phili, Buffalo, New England, New york.

packers11
03-11-2007, 09:35 PM
-Wins: Detroit Miami Arizona, Minnesota San Fransisco Detroit Minnesota Chicago.

-Loses: Chicago, New Orleans, Phili, Saint Louis, Buffalo New England Seattle, New York.

Times we blew someone out (more than 10 points): 4 times, Detroit, Miami, Arizona, Chicago

Times we got blown out by someone (more than 10 points): 6 times, Chicago, Phili, Buffalo, New England, New york.

We can blame the philly blowout on Carroll ... He was still on the team :lol:

packerbacker1234
03-11-2007, 09:58 PM

In case you didn;t notice, there were hardly any teams in the NFC with a winning record.

So were lucky we ended with what we had? Like it mattered the entire NFC sucked ballz.

3 of those last 4 we would of just played earlier and had the same result which would of meant a winning record at some point in the season.

So lucky? Think what you want. The NFC sucks and I guarentee we would of been a tougher out then the Giants.

pbmax
03-11-2007, 11:53 PM
Wrong in my estimation. Pick any team who came out of nowhere and you will find five years (or more) of top 12 draft picking. If you are thinking of the Lions, its 10 years of top 5.

We are going 8-8, better but tougher schedule.

Why do the "we" the fans expect lower requirements/standards ever since the 4-12 season... Every year this team should be competitive, I realize it needed a year or two to get back from the draft disasters but this year we should be expecting the "SUPERBOWL OR BUST" quotes...

If people say "ohhh it takes 3-4 years to rebuild, we are still rebuilding" are you JOKING?!? Easily with FA and the draft a team can rebound after 2 seasons (the most)...

CaliforniaCheez
03-12-2007, 12:10 AM

Please don't be insulted by the example I will give. I am not intending to insult.

If you set your expectations too high and too far in advance you get disappointed. Disappointed in the close victories over mediocre opponents, disappointment with every loss, disappointment with the season record.

Viking fans and publications do this to themselves because every offseason they are greatest team and sure super bowl participant. They ultimately get their feelings hurt and can only cheer for defeat of the Packers. Year after year they engender a bad attitude.

It is better to be wanting a good performance from the team, collecting a W and looking forward to the next week's game. Platoff's?? A good deal because it is an extra game next week.

This type attitude will keep your spirits up, help you enjoy each game, and lessen your disappointment. We all want a Super Bowl but it takes 17 or 18 games to get there. Don't count your victories until they are won.

SD GB fan
03-12-2007, 12:19 AM
i agree with calicheez. yes, we are a young team and we are improving. favre is back. there are reasons for hope and stuff. but we should also have a reality check. our schedule was easy last year. id be happy with 8-8 next year, and everything else is a bonus. playoff is definitely a possibility in a weak NFC but dont get too hopeful either. its not a mere 1/4 shot because a season isnt a random toss up. coaching and talent cannot be overlooked. in terms of talent, we are what we should be, which is a 8-8 mediocre team.

woodbuck27
03-12-2007, 12:10 PM

We can blame the philly blowout on Carroll ... He was still on the team :lol:

As I recall that game.

We were simply out-classed in the second half. Donovan McNabb stepped up.

Yes Ahmad Carroll had a very poor outing and paid a price as a result.

ND72
03-12-2007, 12:13 PM
ND, what is your outlook for the Irish in 07? I think 8-8 will be the Packers record in 07 but I think they are close to being a playoff caliber team in the pathetic NFC, that isn't saying much.

The Irish will struggle. I think they'll beat the teams they should, cause they do have some soft teams on the schedule, but they're not good team.

Green Bay? I just don't know. I want them to do well, but I just don't think we're there yet. I still pictured 2008-2009 season as the season we really come into our own again.

wist43
03-12-2007, 12:16 PM

I agree with this - but...

I think TT has improved the roster enough, that with some key FA additions (yeah, I know), some improved play from the youngsters, and Favre have an all-pro year - they could possibly make a run at the playoffs.

The NFC is pathetic, and the NFC North is one of the worst divisions in all of football...

Long term, after Favre leaves, the Packers will flounder around for years until they find his heir apparent... it ain't Rodgers.

woodbuck27
03-12-2007, 12:17 PM
I believe that Favre gives us the best QB in the NFCN.

I believe that OUR OL will improve in 2007.

I believe that Bubba Franks will make plays in 2007.

I believe that DD,G.Jennings and R.Martin are a decent core of WR's.

I believe that we need help at RB. That somehow it would be prudent for Ted Thompson to address that weakness as a priority on 'O' in this off season.

swede
03-12-2007, 12:23 PM
I will be looking for improved play from young players and contributions from another set of rooks in 2007.

I will not be looking for the playoffs just yet.

A losing record in 2008 loses TT his job, but I don't think we'll be mediocre in 2008.

Patler
03-12-2007, 12:37 PM

The Irish will struggle. I think they'll beat the teams they should, cause they do have some soft teams on the schedule, but they're not good team.

Green Bay? I just don't know. I want them to do well, but I just don't think we're there yet. I still pictured 2008-2009 season as the season we really come into our own again.

Agree and Agree.

ND is starting over, especially on offense. Not only at QB, also at TE, line, WR and RB. All the top guys are gone. Following the Claussen soap opera as it actually unfolds will be interesting. The media circus around his signing two years ago was stupid. The graduations on defense aren't as significant. They weren't a good defensive team anyway!

GB's "turnaround" can hardly be predicted at this point, but at best is 2008. If the replacement for Favre is not on the roster now, any resurgence is completely in limbo pending finding a replacement. Both lines, offensive and defensive could be very good by then, as well as the LBs. That would be a very solid base upon which to build.

cheesner
03-12-2007, 02:50 PM
. . . We all want a Super Bowl but it takes 17 or 18 games to get there. Don't count your victories until they are won.
Well put Cali. Fans can be so fickle. Last season they were calling for TT and MM to be fired - even in the preseason. At one point they were still clamoring for their dismissal and within a month it was talk about how we were going to make the playoffs. You really have to keep a level head and look realistically at the team.

Scott Campbell
03-12-2007, 04:05 PM
Fans can be so fickle.

Great post.

Scott Campbell
03-12-2007, 04:05 PM
Fans can be so fickle.

That post sucked.

The Shadow
03-12-2007, 05:00 PM
[quote="packers11")

If people say "ohhh it takes 3-4 years to rebuild, we are still rebuilding" are you JOKING?!? Easily with FA and the draft a team can rebound after 2 seasons (the most)...[/quote]

I guess I'm one of those people.
To build a team that contends for the long haul, you need to build a solid foundation, and that takes time.
I have no problem whatsoever with a 3-4 year program, if the team consistently shows progress.
I think the progress of the Packers has been significant & noticeable.

wist43
03-12-2007, 06:59 PM
[quote="packers11")

I guess I'm one of those people.
To build a team that contends for the long haul, you need to build a solid foundation, and that takes time.
I have no problem whatsoever with a 3-4 year program, if the team consistently shows progress.
I think the progress of the Packers has been significant & noticeable.

A couple of points Shadow...

1) After Favre retires they will be incapable of "contending" simply b/c they utilize an offensive system that is completely dependent upon having a top flight QB manage every facet of the game, on every play. No QB = No SB.

I use Denver as an example... they had an overall team that could contend, but no QB; hence, they were never really a threat to win it all. Now that they have Cutler, assuming he grows into the type of QB that I think he can be, I now consider them contenders again.

2) TT will never make a big enough splash in FA to vault the Packers back into contending status quickly. He will build thru the draft, and it will take at least a few years for his draft classes to develop - with the hope that key players w/in those drafts mature, and blossom into bonefide players all at the same time.

But again, post-Favre... what chance do they have with no QB???

I think the answer is obvious - none.

I think TT can build a decent, lower etchelon calibur playoff team - but, w/o a QB, they'll never be contenders.

Scott Campbell
03-12-2007, 07:03 PM
I use Denver as an example... they had an overall team that could contend, but no QB; hence, they were never really a threat to win it all. Now that they have Cutler, assuming he grows into the type of QB that I think he can be, I now consider them contenders again.

QB my ass. Denver has been snake bit since the day they traded for he who shall remain nameless. They are cursed.

wist43
03-12-2007, 07:07 PM
The faithful are going to be singing the praises of the Plummers, Garcia's, Dilfers - or whoever they trot thru there... all the way up until they prove they can't get the job done.

Then they'll be screaming bloody murder.

The Shadow
03-12-2007, 07:20 PM
Personally, I'd like to see what Aaron Rodgers, a young player at the toughest position, can do when given a real chance.
My confidence in Brett Favre is not nearly as high as what it is with many posters. The Philadelphia game pretty much crystalized it for me; I do not belong good old #4 is still capable of leading a team to the Super Bowl.