View Full Version : JS--NICK BARNETT AND NEGOTIATIONS WITH GB

Bretsky
03-11-2007, 11:28 PM
Barnett wants a new deal
But Packer says he won't hold out
By TOM SILVERSTEIN

tsilverstein@journalsentinel.com
Posted: March 11, 2007

Green Bay Packers linebacker Nick Barnett wants to make two things perfectly clear:

Nick Barnett wants a contract extension, but says he won't holdout.
He's not going to shortchange himself in negotiations on a short-term contract and he's not going to follow the path Javon Walker and Mike McKenzie in seeking more money.

The Packers are in the process of trying to get Barnett signed beyond this, the final year of his contract, and are trying to find common ground with the fifth-year linebacker. Barnett believes he's worth top dollar after starting all but two games in four seasons, leading the team in tackles three consecutive years and serving as a leader of the defense.

If he's going to give up his shot at unrestricted free agency next season, he's going to want to be compensated well, especially in light of recent free-agent signings like Kansas City's six-year, $24 million contract with linebacker Napoleon Harris, who will pocket a $7.5 million signing bonus. Barnett is scheduled to make about $2 million this year, but his goal is to reach an agreement that would allow him to play with the Packers well into his 30s.

"Nick is under contract and he will honor his contract," said his agent, Chuck Price. "Holding out is not an option. All he can do is go out and continue to play football and lead the defense and let his performance speak volumes.

"They want him there, he wants to be there. There's no timeframe for getting it done because he's under contract. But we feel he's a leader of the defense and he's making substantially less than what he's worth. We're hoping we can get a great deal sooner than later."

Price said that Barnett proved his loyalty to the team last year when he played the final month of the season with a broken hand. Barnett wasn't sure if he would need surgery on the hand, Price said, yet he had the hand placed in a split and wrapped in a club and continued to play.

He said that kind of dedication showed he wasn't in the same place Walker and McKenzie were when they didn't get what they wanted financially and forced the team to trade them. Barnett, Price said, wants to stay in Green Bay and see through what he started provided the team compensates him fairly.

Price said people needed to look beyond the fact Barnett has not made it to the Pro Bowl yet when evaluating his ability. He said the fact Barnett has been a starter since being drafted in the first round in 2003 and been among the top producers on defense for the Packers shows his worth to the club.

If the Packers don't agree that Barnett is as valuable as he thinks, the linebacker is willing to prove it next season and then cash in on unrestricted free agency. If the Packers don't sign him this year and then decide later they want to put the franchise tag on him, it would cost them upwards of $7 million.

"He wants to stay," Price said. "But it might not be up to Nick. All he's going to do is go out and play. If there's an offer out there for him, he'll know when he gets it. This organization knows Nick wants to be a Packer."

Price wouldn't say exactly how negotiations have gone between the two sides since the end of the season, but the Packers do appear interested in making a deal. Of course, they are in the driver's seat right now because they know they have Barnett under contract for another year and can sit tight without any worries about next season.

Barnett, who did not need surgery on his injured hand, which has since healed, can choose not to attend voluntary workout sessions without facing a fine, but Price said anything that he was supposed to be at he would be.

As for how Barnett and Price see his work in the linebacker market, they don't expect the deal to be similar to those of Brian Urlacher or Ray Lewis or Julian Peterson, but they do expect to be in the second tier, where contracts average from $4.5 million to $6 million per year.

"He knows there's lesser players making more money," Price said. "He's young, he's got great character and he's been very durable. Those are all the things you're looking for. The only thing that hasn't happened for him is a deep playoff run or a Pro Bowl."

Packers general manager Ted Thompson has been mum about negotiations with Barnett and it's unclear whether he thinks Barnett has priced himself out of a deal in Green Bay. It could be that he will make Barnett wait until his contract is up before getting serious, the same way he made Aaron Kampman, Ahman Green and others wait.

But Price would like to get the deal done soon so that both sides can have peace of mind.

Whether the two sides can find common ground in the days and weeks ahead could determine whether Barnett remains in Green Bay.

Bretsky
03-11-2007, 11:30 PM
Couple points

It is nice to see Nick Barnett wants to stay in GB

It is nice that he is not holding out for deals similar to the best LB's in the game; he's not there yet but he's a very solid player

CaliforniaCheez
03-11-2007, 11:49 PM
Worst case scenario.

Nick:
Nick completes contract 2 million this year.
Next year Nick gets the franchise tag. 8 million
2009 Nick gets tagged again 10 million.

Packers:
Barnett pouts during his final season.
Next off season leaves for more money.
Abdul Hadj (Hodge) becomes starter saving a lot of cap money.

Fans:
Fans blame the problem on a Sherman draft pick.
Fans blame Thompson for drafting a replacement and not being extorted for huge contracts.
Fans blame Thompson for not throwing money at the problem.

pbmax
03-12-2007, 12:01 AM
I don't see this ending well. Even a contract like Harris' seems out of character for our GM with a MLB.

His tackle numbers don't do enough for me, but he can play all three downs and hustles like crazy. Too often jumps into wrong hole or over pursues.

On this one, I wouldn't want to be GM.

Partial
03-12-2007, 07:27 AM
He only wants 6 mil per year at Today's salaries? Shit, lock him up and throw in a front-loaded guarantee that states if he holds out within the first four years of say a six-year deal he has to give it all back.

MJZiggy
03-12-2007, 07:30 AM
If he's not willing to hold out now, why would you think he'd need a clause keeping him from doing it 4 years into a 6-year deal?

CaliforniaCheez
03-12-2007, 07:57 AM
Briggs franchise tag is 7.2 million which is the average of the top 5 salaries.
When hawk signed I heard he was the 5th highest paid LB. No verification offered.

Hawk is leverage for Barnett, Hodge is leverage for Thompson/Brandt.

If not done this could be an ugly episode. Barnett has had a different Defensive Coordinator every season.

It could be they are very close to a deal as this is going on for a while. That last few items they are negotiating is very tough. I know when I'm negotiating contracts it is like cutting fingernails. If you go too far they start screaming. This is not a scream but it is at a very delicate stage.
If Ted Thompson hates the deal and Barnett hates the deal it is a good deal.

pbmax could be correct.

Partial
03-12-2007, 08:20 AM
If he's not willing to hold out now, why would you think he'd need a clause keeping him from doing it 4 years into a 6-year deal?

'cause he is a fool if he's willing to accept 6 mil now when players with half his value got 8-9 in free agency. Perhaps he'll be like Adalius Thomas and want a lower contract in total value but will for sure play out.

prsnfoto
03-12-2007, 08:33 AM
This is a good sign I read several articles earlier this year where his agent said they would be monitoring Briggs deal and want similar money. I am not a Barnett fan but I would split the distance with them and give him a 5 year 28 million with 10 million guarenteed.

pittstang5
03-12-2007, 09:10 AM
It's obvious that the Packers are not going to make a big splash in Free Agency. The players they are currently looking at, to me, won't be commanding huge salaries. Most, if not all, of the big name Free agents are signed. Why not take the extra money they have now and lock up Barnett for good. "Build through the draft and sign your own," isn't that TT's philosophy.

MJZiggy
03-12-2007, 09:28 AM
Maybe that's what TT's trying to do.

GBRulz
03-12-2007, 09:51 AM
He only wants 6 mil per year at Today's salaries? Shit, lock him up and throw in a front-loaded guarantee that states if he holds out within the first four years of say a six-year deal he has to give it all back.

I would love to see holdout clauses in contracts, but what player would sign something like that? It might even be against the CBA rules?? Otherwise, you'd think a team would surely put that clause in TO's contract(s)

The_Dude
03-12-2007, 09:52 AM
I think he should get a deal. He is the leader of the defense and had lead the team in tackles for 3 years (probably would have lead this last year but a Guy named Hawk came about). He's great in pass coverage and is decent in run defense (look what happend when he was out when we played the seahawks). Because of all of that, I think he earned a new contract, no question. If kampman earned the contract he got with his play, barnett totally has earned a new one as well.

I would find out right now, during contract negoiations to see if he would be able to move to the outside as well.

MJZiggy
03-12-2007, 10:07 AM
I would find out right now, during contract negoiations to see if he would be able to move to the outside as well.

Last season when there was all the talk about Hodge playing the middle, Barnett said flat out in interviews that he didn't want to move outside but would do what was best for the team. That said, I don't think he'd want the option written directly into his contract.

The_Dude
03-12-2007, 11:00 AM

Last season when there was all the talk about Hodge playing the middle, Barnett said flat out in interviews that he didn't want to move outside but would do what was best for the team. That said, I don't think he'd want the option written directly into his contract.

I think he said that he wouldn't move outside unless he got another contract or an extension.

LL2
03-12-2007, 12:22 PM
In light of all the crazy monopoly money being thrown around I think TT would be wise to lock Barnett up with a 5yr/ 30mil type of deal. He's better than most of the FA this year, and if TT let's him hit FA next year there is NO chance of him resigning. At that point he will get a 5 yr /40 mil deal. Lock him up now and make him happy. He's still young and the rest of the team can grow with him.

RashanGary
03-12-2007, 01:18 PM

No shit. There are jouneyman guards making 8 million per year after this FA class. Barnett is better than anyone in this FA class except Clements. If he wants 6 per year, give him 6.25 just to make his day.

MadtownPacker
03-12-2007, 01:38 PM
Pay Barnett, he is the real deal and a hella cool DJ too!! :lol:

Tony Oday
03-12-2007, 01:40 PM
Damn throw this guy a bone. He isnt bitching about his contract jsut wants to be paid what he is worth. I know there are people who like him on this board and people that do not. I would venture to guess though tha everyone is in agreement that he is a solid to good player that can cover. He has side to side speed but some say he lacks the killer instinct for the Middle. That means in this market now he is worth the 6 million a year for 5 years. Lock him up for 5 million a year and guarentee him the cash for 4 years.

red
03-12-2007, 04:43 PM
i have no problem giving him a 5 year 25-30 million dollar deal. i think thats fair

but would he sign for that?

thats not really a big deal by todays standards

he's not the best MLB in the nfl, but he's better then average

and after you give him MLB type money he might not have problem moving outside, IF hodge ever shows he can handle the middle full time.

i had a hunch last year the he didn't want to move outside before he got a new deal because SAM's make a lot less money than MLB's

Partial
03-12-2007, 04:47 PM
What's kinda funny is that Briggs is hardcore getting the shaft this year. The Bears are offering him LESS than 6 mil per year.

Same with Luke Petitgout, a much, much better TACKLE is getting 14 mil guaranteed over 3 mil compared to Leonard Davis, an unproven GUARD is getting 15 mil guaranteed this year.

Outrageous FA market we live in. Ronnie Wolfe even said the market is insane and certainly hinted its not one he would play in. It's also evident by his two disciples not making a single move yet.

I am fairly certain that Ronnie Wolfe had some decent success in his career.

Partial
03-12-2007, 04:47 PM
i have no problem giving him a 5 year 25-30 million dollar deal. i think thats fair

but would he sign for that?

thats not really a big deal by todays standards

he's not the best MLB in the nfl, but he's better then average

and after you give him MLB type money he might not have problem moving outside, IF hodge ever shows he can handle the middle full time.

i had a hunch last year the he didn't want to move outside before he got a new deal because SAM's make a lot less money than MLB's

His agent said he is looking for between 5 and 6 mil per year. Who knows where that stands now though, that the free agency market has swirled to downright insane levels.

Merlin
03-12-2007, 05:42 PM
The rumors about Barnett refusing to go the outside simply aren't true. If people would read the whole statement they would know that he didn't want to potentially adversly affect his play while he was trying to negotiate an extension by trying to learn a new position. He has said numerous times that he would play where the Packers asked him to. He "prefers" the middle since that is where he has been for four season under four different defensive coordinators. Barnett didn't lead the team in tackles but he was sorely missed when he wasn't in there. He is probably one of the best if not the best cover LB's in the league. He may get eaten up by the offensive line but so does Urlacher (watch the super bowl again if you think I am kidding). He did NOT over pursue much this year, he gets better and better each year. This next season he will have Hawk with a year under his belt and hopefully either a wiser Popinga or a FA. He won't have to be covering for everyone else like he did the first half of the season back there.

Pay the man, unless you actually think Hodge is even close to being as good as Barnett. If so, cut him loose so he can find a team that doesn't have a GM with a "It's my team" attitude. IMO, Hodge isn't near the player Barnett is. Even in Barnett's rookie year he ran circles around Hodge.

Tony Oday
03-12-2007, 06:10 PM
I just say go with what Teddy KGB said, "Pay dat man hiz money!"

wist43
03-12-2007, 06:43 PM
Don't worry, I won't rain on your Barnett lovefest...

BUT - it blows my mind that you guys want to give a huge payday to a guy who has had - 1 average year (rookie year), 2 awful years, and 1 slightly above average year (last year).

That's an accurate representation of how he has performed.

Not going to debate or argue this with you guys... you know I can't stand Barnett - and I know you guys love him.

Scott Campbell
03-12-2007, 07:09 PM
Not going to debate or argue this with you guys... you know I can't stand Barnett .....

I get the feeling you cringe everytime he makes a good play. I don't think he's that great either. Adequate starter.

esoxx
03-12-2007, 07:14 PM
What I don't like is his agent saying we should look past him not making the Pro Bowl. I'm quite certain if he had made a Pro Bowl or two we couldn't just dismiss it so easily.

I'm in favor of getting a deal done but not at the "Quasi-Pro Bowl" level.

Patler
03-12-2007, 08:08 PM
Don't worry, I won't rain on your Barnett lovefest...

BUT - it blows my mind that you guys want to give a huge payday to a guy who has had - 1 average year (rookie year), 2 awful years, and 1 slightly above average year (last year).

That's an accurate representation of how he has performed.

No, its not an accurate representation of how he has performed. You are so far off base in your assessment of Barnett that I have to believe you are doing it only for entertainment value. No one could be as wrong as you are about him.

Partial
03-12-2007, 10:21 PM
I just say go with what Teddy KGB said, "Pay dat man hiz money!"

Excellent quote from a great movie

Packers4Ever
03-12-2007, 11:48 PM
In light of all the crazy monopoly money being thrown around I think TT would be wise to lock Barnett up with a 5yr/ 30mil type of deal. He's better than most of the FA this year, and if TT let's him hit FA next year there is NO chance of him resigning. At that point he will get a 5 yr /40 mil deal. Lock him up now and make him happy. He's still young and the rest of the team can grow with him.

Lock him up now as everyone has said and avoid the worry and frazzle later on. He wants to be here and there's no doubt we need him, I hope this won't be another case of someone "dragging his feet."

Kiwon
03-13-2007, 06:00 PM
2 thoughts:

1. Packers, sign the guy. He's been a productive player and, barring injury, his best years are in front of him.

2. Smart move on Barnett's part. The Packers have cash now, they have seen other players leave over contract disputes and get paid elsewhere, and if Barnett plays another full season at a high level he will be a hot commodity and be signed on the first day of FA next year.

His negotiating position is strong right now and will be even stronger next year if he plays well again. The Pack could put a franchise tag on him and try to force him to play another season but while that is a legitimate move it can work against a team if the franchised player uses that to trash the front office and create dissension on a team.

IMHO, the best case scenario is to gamble a bit, pay the guy, and then let him know that they expect him to crack the Pro Bowl lineup.

MJZiggy
03-13-2007, 06:35 PM
How 'bout they gamble and pay him and offer him a nice, fat bonus for cracking the Pro Bowl lineup?

retailguy
03-13-2007, 08:32 PM
How 'bout they gamble and pay him and offer him a nice, fat bonus for cracking the Pro Bowl lineup?

Why not wait for him to "prove" himself in the last year of his deal, and then let him test free agency? :x

Kiwon
03-13-2007, 10:11 PM

Why not wait for him to "prove" himself in the last year of his deal, and then let him test free agency? :x

I hear your :x and totally agree. If the Pack waits and Barnett has an outstanding year, he will be gone unless franchised. "Show me 'da money!" - and in this case it will be well deserved.

BF4MVP
03-14-2007, 12:40 AM
I want Barnett locked up long term..And I believe it will happen, and soon..Nick is one of the few bright spots from Sherman's tenure as GM..What is even more impressive about that pick is that there were higher rated linebackers on the board when the Packers picked (Henderson and Bailey) and we still ended up with the best one in the draft..Major props to Sherman for that pick..Barnett is a very solid player...VERY solid..

Merlin
03-14-2007, 08:30 PM
The whole "Let him play out his final year" is BS. So is the whole "if he makes the pro bowl" crap. If you haven't figured out by now that Barnett is worth it then you don't know football. Also, if you think the Pro-Bowl is a way to judge how good a player is then please, stop pretending you know the NFL. Barnett has had 4 solid years for the Packers, that is not open for debate (2 bad years and one mediocre year? According to who? YOU?...LOL). Popularity contests don't win football games, players do, sign him now.