PDA

View Full Version : If you think I'm going to take the safe pick........

RashanGary
04-26-2006, 02:20 PM
You don't know me.

This is a direct quote from Ted Thompson. I cannot wait untill draft day when GB selects one of the most physically dominate players ever to enter the NFL. 6'1" 245 = Average NFL LB...Just say no to average T.T. Take the dominate athlete and avoid the urge to play it safe.

With the 51st pick Thompson could have selected many sure thing average players. Instead he picked a dominate athelete who measured at 5'11"+ and stepped on the scale at 205. He ran the 40 in a blistering 4.37 seconds and had some of the most fluid hips on any saftey in the game. We all know how that turned out and we got a little glimps of what Ted Thompson is all about.

Welcome to the new GB Packers where average is just not acceptable and athletes are drafted to dominate the competition.

Partial
04-26-2006, 02:22 PM
Turned into a below-average starting safety?

Collins has POTENTIAL to be great. He's at best an average starting safety now.

RashanGary
04-26-2006, 02:23 PM
The same people who complained about Collins being an athlete who couldnt' play football are now pleading for Hawk. Hate to break it to you chaps, but TT has no intention of playing it safe. T.T. drafts dominate athletes like Alexander, Hutchinson, Collins. Hawk is what's called *average* and would be a waste of the #5 pick.

swede
04-26-2006, 02:26 PM
Well, yes, but Collins came out of nowhere. VD is more of a contagious affliction who becomes more and more of an NFL star with each passing hour.

Tony Mandarich was the same deal. OMG the measurables! He just FLATTENED people at Michigan State!

RashanGary
04-26-2006, 02:26 PM
He made the all rookie team....

RashanGary
04-26-2006, 02:27 PM
So did david boston and Barry Bonds. Thats what happens when you take steroids.

Look what happens when you stop.

swede
04-26-2006, 02:31 PM
True enough. They say Tony didn't shower with the team for obvious reasons. :shock:

I'll be kind of excited if we pick Young or Davis, but with what I know now I'd still pick AJ and I hardly see him as being an average linebacker.

HarveyWallbangers
That's your opinion. I'd venture to say that scouts think Hawk is a hell of an athlete. 40 time does not a LB make. What don't you like about some of the best shuttle times for a LB in recent memory and a 40" vertical? Hawk's a hell of an athlete--a lot better than you give him credit for.

Height: 6037
Weight: 258
40 Yrd Dash: 4.59
20 Yrd Dash: 2.70
10 Yrd Dash: 1.62
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 27
Vertical Jump: 34"
Broad Jump: 10'2"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.18
3-Cone Drill: 6.94

Height: 6010
Weight: 248
40 Yrd Dash: 4.59
20 Yrd Dash: 2.72
10 Yrd Dash: 1.56
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 24
Vertical Jump: 40"
Broad Jump: 9'7"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 3.96
3-Cone Drill: 6.82

Which of these two is a better athlete? Name the prospect who scored the first and the prospect who scored the second at the scouting combine.

Partial
I wouldn't doubt it if Vernon Davis takes stereoids. He evidentally put on 26 pounds of muscle in one year according to an interview on ESPN.

That's unheard of it. No one does that without juicing.

Shawn Alexander isn't some "freakish" athlete like Vernon Davis. In fact, Shawn Alexander has always been more of a bruising power back. He runs at 4.5 at best. That's not at all "freakish" for a running back.

Speed is the most overrated thing in football.

Charles Woodson
04-26-2006, 02:37 PM
The same people who complained about Collins being an athlete who couldnt' play football are now pleading for Hawk. Hate to break it to you chaps, but TT has no intention of playing it safe. T.T. drafts dominate athletes like Alexander, Hutchinson, Collins. Hawk is what's called *average* and would be a waste of the #5 pick.

If TT likes to take chances... THEN WHYY THE FUCKING HELL didnt he do more in FA's? its cause he doesnt like to be risky. I dont agree with TT taking normal players. I mean TT saw something in Collins and liked him. Its as simple as that. I mean yes hes proably gana take a few chances but hes even said that he takes the best person on his bored. Needs or no needs. A-rod wasnt a NEED but he was the best player on his bored

RashanGary
04-26-2006, 02:38 PM
I like the 2nd a little better because of his vertical and explosive short area burst.

The second is Hawk
The first is probably Carpenter...Maybe Wimbley

RashanGary
04-26-2006, 02:41 PM
Barnett,

Thompson has said he is not going to play it safe in the draft. It's direct quote so what are you talking about?

HarveyWallbangers
04-26-2006, 02:42 PM
I like the 2nd a little better because of his vertical and explosive short area burst.

The second is Hawk
The first is probably Carpenter...Maybe Wimbley

The first is Brian Urlacher's scores at the combine.

Partial
04-26-2006, 02:43 PM
Hawk is a better prospect. If he's there he'll be the pick.

RashanGary
04-26-2006, 02:45 PM
Hawk is a better prospect than Urlacher was coming out. I've read muliple places that scouts like Hawk a little better than they liked Urlacher.

RashanGary
04-26-2006, 02:51 PM
Great point though Harv....

LB's are gererally not the best athletes in the draft. I do like Hawk and I go back and forth. I'm defending my boy Davis though mostly because people here like to tear him down.....

I'm developing the same *tear the other guy down to make my guy look better* attidude that the people who piss me off are using on Davis.

Truth is I like both prospects and I won't be disappointed with either. I like Davis' athletisism and I don't think it's as easy of a decision as some here make it out to be.

swede
04-26-2006, 02:55 PM
You are always the gentleman, Nick.

I am arguing the point because I am trying desperately to reach 100 posts on my birthday.

Furthermore, this is TT's draft and he won't really be happy until he's pissed off 90% of Packer fans. Look for him to do something that makes everybody mad.

RashanGary
04-26-2006, 02:57 PM
Me? Gentleman?

LOL...I hope that is a joke.

Guiness
04-26-2006, 02:58 PM
I want a pain tolerance measureable for LBs and RBs.

Remeber those guys on Saturday Night Live?
'I put my head in a vice, and turned the handle until my eyes started to pop out'
'Ya, I hate when that happens'

This would be a good indicator of whether or not a guy can take it in the NFL, IMO :shock:

swede
04-26-2006, 03:01 PM
I want a pain tolerance measureable for LBs and RBs.

Remeber those guys on Saturday Night Live?
'I put my head in a vice, and turned the handle until my eyes started to pop out'
'Ya, I hate when that happens'

This would be a good indicator of whether or not a guy can take it in the NFL, IMO :shock:

The Miami middle linebacker, Zach Thomas, had a truck run over his head when he was a tot. Tore his scalp halfway off his head.

That's one tough pre-schooler. One wonders why he bothers wearing a helmet with a skul that tough!

RashanGary
04-26-2006, 03:03 PM
I'm big on explosiveness. I put as much into explosiveness as I do into strait line speed. That is why scouts like Hawk a little better than Urlacher physically.

Bossman641
04-26-2006, 03:20 PM
The pick of Collins was more of a shock though because it was in the second round. No matter who TT picks with the first pick it will be someone we definitely know about.

At this point I'd say the most "unpredictable" things TT could do would be to draft Young or Ferguson. Even those situations have been thoroughly discussed, the majority just disagree with them.

Ferguson would possibly be the best value but he is purely a left tackle. You would have to move Tauscher to guard and Clifton to right tackle just to get him on the field. That is just too much shuffling for me. I don't want to move 2 Pro-Bowl type players out of their normal spots.

It will be interesting to see what TT does with Young. By all acounts it will take 2-3 years before he is ready to play. With Favre coming back does that give TT the extra time to develop Young? I don't like Young for all the reasons that have been covered before but he definitely does have an upside though, and not just from a talent perspective. Not trying to stir up trouble or anything, but I think that having a black starting QB in Green Bay could have its advantages. Young could possibly help to attract free agents in the future. At the same time Young seems like more of a big market guy and that makes me worried that he might want to get out of Green Bay.

When it is all said and done this is how I line up who I want at 5.

Mario
Hawk
Davis

Nothing against Davis, but I think that he is a little overhyped. He's still a great player and I'd be glad to have him, but I feel like Hawk is not getting the love that he deserves. And he would definitely fill a need position for us.

Sparkey
04-26-2006, 03:40 PM
No matter what the measurables or athletic marks, if the guy doesn't have a natural feel for his position....dare I say instinctive, he will be a flop.

Anyone remember that LB from Nebraska that GB selected in the 3rd.

Great measurables, incredibly fast, bench press a elephant, cut like a rock.

Instincts like a rock too........

That is what I like about Hawk. He doesn't think out on the field he just has natural instincts and reacts. Those are the qualities that all the great players have had.

HarveyWallbangers
04-26-2006, 03:59 PM
Are you talking about Torrance Marshall? He actually went to Oklahoma--where he was a beast on one of the best defenses of all-time. He actually won game MVP in the national championship game that year. I think Oklahoma beat Florida State 13-2. I believe he also won game MVP for Oklahoma's conference championship game that year.

Looked like Tarzan. Played like Jane. On the pro level anyways. He was one of the best defensive players in college history though.

Guiness
04-26-2006, 04:34 PM
lol at the old thread on JSO about the girl who was 'great friends' with Torrence and showed up at JSO because she was worried about him...

I don't know if I like her or Eye Candy Girl better...

b bulldog
04-26-2006, 04:38 PM
I love Collins as one of our S's.

Scott Campbell
04-26-2006, 05:09 PM
lol at the old thread on JSO about the girl who was 'great friends' with Torrence and showed up at JSO because she was worried about him...

Loribee. She looked like Jane, but posted like Tarzan.