PDA

View Full Version : Seattle releases Grant Wistrom

Patler
03-12-2007, 09:18 AM
I'm not sure this has been discussed anywhere here, but it is an interesting case. Its an example of a "bad signing" by a team trying to get over the hump, so to speak. Seattle made it to the Super Bowl, but Wistrom never became the factor they thought he would.

Wistrom signed a six-year, $33 million contract in 2004, which included $14 million in guaranteed money, Seattles largest ever at the time.

He had 11.5 sacks and 98 tackles in three years for Seattle. He missed 7 games in 2004.

With the cap having skyrocketed the last two years, this will not have a crippling effect on Seattle's future. It is more interesting to think about the efffect it has had the three years he was with the team,with significant cap money tied up in a player that was not making a difference.[/quote]

prsnfoto
03-12-2007, 09:26 AM
WOW even KGB has better ststs than him what a bargain we got. :shock: :shock:

HarveyWallbangers
03-12-2007, 09:39 AM
Tennessee S Chris Hope had 121 tackles, 5 interceptions, and 15 passes defensed. He had the most tackles, second most interceptions, and the second most passes defensed among all safeties in 2005. He was signed for a nice contract last offseason from Pittsburgh. It's an example of a big name FA acquisition working. Perhaps if Thompson hadn't gone cheap with the Manuel signing at S, we would have the S position fixed.

Patler
03-12-2007, 09:50 AM
Tennessee S Chris Hope had 121 tackles, 5 interceptions, and 15 passes defensed. He had the most tackles, second most interceptions, and the second most passes defensed among all safeties in 2005. He was signed for a nice contract last offseason from Pittsburgh. It's an example of a big name FA acquisition working. Perhaps if Thompson hadn't gone cheap with the Manuel signing at S, we would have the S position fixed.

Apparently every thread has to get back to an analysis (criticism) of TT. :lol: :lol:

To be honest, I wasn't even thinking of TT or the Packers when I started this. I was just thinking about everything that Seattle was trying to do to improve what was a very suspect defense back then. They had high hopes for Wistrom. For whatever reason, it didn't work out for them.

As I said, the future impact is negligible. I wonder what else they could have done at the time rather than investing in Wistrom. I really don't recall.

HarveyWallbangers
03-12-2007, 09:54 AM
Or defending Thompson for his methods. See first post in this thread. I think he's dropped the ball this offseason. I've defended him in the past. I think he's drafted well, but if he signed the right FAs this offseason, I could have seen the Packers being a threat in the playoffs. Right now, I have no hope of that happening, and there aren't many FAs that would give me that hope. He won't be able to fill all of the needs in the draft. Hell, he needs a great draft just to keep this team at .500 with the schedule. He's giving himself a small margin for error.

Patler
03-12-2007, 10:02 AM
Or defending Thompson for his method. See first post in this thread.

Huh? You are reading way to much in it. Where did TT come into this?

I edited my first response to you as you typed this one, so I will repeat it here:

To be honest, I wasn't even thinking of TT or the Packers when I started this. I was just thinking about everything that Seattle was trying to do to improve what was a very suspect defense back then. They had high hopes for Wistrom. For whatever reason, it didn't work out for them.

As I said, the future impact is negligible. I wonder what else they could have done at the time rather than investing in Wistrom. I really don't recall.

They were very close. They made it to the Super Bowl. In fact, had they picked the right FA they may have made it over the top. Wistrom was not the right one. Its really no different than having picked the wrong player in the draft, except the FA can cost a bit more.

I honestly was looking at this from Seattle's perspective. What else could they have done to have a better shot at winning the big one. Note, that probably WOULD involve signing a FA, but a different one than Wistrom.

mmmdk
03-12-2007, 10:27 AM
TT did ok last season in free agency; he got Woodson & Pickett. Found sound kicker project in Rayner and made some fine trades here and there. What puzzles me is that TT blew it with Manuel; TT was supposed to have insight on the guy and that insight turned out to be a really bad judgement of talent (the talent he apparently saw in Manuel). TT will stick with Manuel but he might pick up a free agent safety for camp but for petty cash. Underwood is the real hope here for Packers and possibly a rookie.

Manuel is just a guy - at best!

Patler
03-12-2007, 10:30 AM
OK. I give up. Let's make this into ANOTHER thread about TT and free agency.

MJZiggy
03-12-2007, 10:54 AM
I wonder who will pick him up.,,

prsnfoto
03-12-2007, 12:35 PM
Actually all the poeple screaming at TT might want to think about this he was the one who signed this guy right? This was a huge contract at that time maybe he is learning from his mistakes! Sorry Patler I had the KGB thought first and second thought was maybe this is the exact kinda guy TT is talking about when he says there will be plenty of good players cut, granted he didn't produce for that contract but he is not a complete bum either, he would be worth a million plus a year, though we don't need him. Lets hope there will be similar cuts at positions we are thin or bare at.

Chester Marcol
03-12-2007, 12:37 PM
Patler, did you not think there weren't enough threads about TT and his lack of action in free agency so you just had to start another? :D

However, when there is a frustration with something, all posts tend to gravitate back to it. I remember that from the Walker ordeal. I think we are finally getting over the fact Wahle was not resigned.

KYPack
03-12-2007, 12:38 PM
I wonder who will pick him up.,,

He'll get a look, but I think he's played out.

Speed rusher with bad knees and back trouble.

I hope we don't make "the look".

prsnfoto
03-12-2007, 12:40 PM
TT did ok last season in free agency; he got Woodson & Pickett. Found sound kicker project in Rayner and made some fine trades here and there. What puzzles me is that TT blew it with Manuel; TT was supposed to have insight on the guy and that insight turned out to be a really bad judgement of talent (the talent he apparently saw in Manuel). TT will stick with Manuel but he might pick up a free agent safety for camp but for petty cash. Underwood is the real hope here for Packers and possibly a rookie.

Manuel is just a guy - at best!

That is true but it is a different system Manuel looked good in Seattle TT's mistake was thinking he would be good in this system and allowing MM to hire Shitty. It is like all the poeple that want Hamlin in here he and Manuel play similar there was no drop off when Hamlin was hurt and Manuel took over unless a guy in his mid twenties just lost it overnite which is possible, my guess is it is the system.

Patler
03-12-2007, 12:43 PM
Actually all the poeple screaming at TT might want to think about this he was the one who signed this guy right? This was a huge contract at that time maybe he is learning from his mistakes! Sorry Patler I had the KGB thought first and second thought was maybe this is the exact kinda guy TT is talking about when he says there will be plenty of good players cut, granted he didn't produce for that contract but he is not a complete bum either, he would be worth a million plus a year, though we don't need him. Lets hope there will be similar cuts at positions we are thin or bare at.

Well, heck, I might as well give in and join in. No, I don't think Wistrom was TT's signing. TT was not the overall GM at Seattle. He ran their draft more than anything else. Seattle had kind of a multi-headed organization in their front office at the time, as I recall.

woodbuck27
03-12-2007, 12:55 PM
Or defending Thompson for his methods. See first post in this thread. I think he's dropped the ball this offseason. I've defended him in the past. I think he's drafted well, but if he signed the right FAs this offseason, I could have seen the Packers being a threat in the playoffs. Right now, I have no hope of that happening, and there aren't many FAs that would give me that hope. He won't be able to fill all of the needs in the draft. Hell, he needs a great draft just to keep this team at .500 with the schedule. He's giving himself a small margin for error.

To be totally honest. I had high hopes that Ted Thompson would have all his homework done and that we would make more impact out of the free agent market.

I had my doubts that we'd be able to retain Ahman Green, but not to fret as Ted Thompson would have a backup plan to quickly put in place. To cover the possible loss of Ahman.

Of course this is based in reasonable thinking; the fact I am just a fan and hoped that we'd progress in 2007 similiar to Brett Favre.

Boy !! Was I wrong.

MadtownPacker
03-12-2007, 01:04 PM
Winstrom has nice curls.

prsnfoto
03-12-2007, 01:45 PM

Well, heck, I might as well give in and join in. No, I don't think Wistrom was TT's signing. TT was not the overall GM at Seattle. He ran their draft more than anything else. Seattle had kind of a multi-headed organization in their front office at the time, as I recall.

Your'e probably right I know he ran the draft but I think they had multiple poeple with power to make decisions either way signings like that may have made him gunshy which is not a bad thing he says he has a plan, course so does the president. There now we got politics, football, and Madtown your statement scares me! :D :D

the_idle_threat
03-12-2007, 07:52 PM
Winstrom has nice curls.

:?

... and a purty mouth? :P

Rastak
03-12-2007, 07:57 PM
Winstrom has nice curls.

:?

... and a purty mouth? :P

Squeel like a pig....... :(

MJZiggy
03-12-2007, 08:11 PM
Uhhh, guys? He was referring to a quote from last year in which TT said not to be distracted by the pretty girl with the curls...(at least I hope so)

the_idle_threat
03-12-2007, 09:32 PM
Uhhh, guys? He was referring to a quote from last year in which TT said not to be distracted by the pretty girl with the curls...(at least I hope so)

Yeah, we know. Just taking the opportunity to give Mad some shit ... :lol:

MJZiggy
03-12-2007, 10:15 PM
Carry on then. 8)

MadtownPacker
03-12-2007, 11:29 PM
No, I actually meant he has nice curls.

mmmdk
03-13-2007, 03:14 AM

could you send me a picture? :lol:

MJZiggy
03-13-2007, 11:26 AM

I didn't know you liked blondes...

mmmdk
03-13-2007, 12:20 PM

I didn't know you liked blondes...

I'm blond...MJ?

gureski
03-13-2007, 12:26 PM

Whether you want to hear it or not, you're being ridiculous. To say that Thompson has lost the entire 2007 season because of his performance over the first 12 days of free agency is not rational. You know, as well as I, that there is a whole lot of off-season left to play out. Games aren't won in the first quarter and team's don't cement their fate in the first 12 days of the official off-season starting.

Regardless how things turn out from here, it's not rational to judge someone or a team's season based on the first 12 days of free agency. It's just not. You, and others who share your mindset, are jumping the gun on saying all is lost.

here is a list of players still out there courtesy of footballguys.com:

QB's
Some of the more prominent unrestricted free agent quarterbacks still available include Drew Bledsoe, Aaron Brooks, Tim Rattay, Brad Johnson, Marques Tuiasosopo, Jay Fiedler, Anthony Wright and Chris Weinke. Restricted free agents still unsigned include Matt Schaub, Cleo Lemon and Quinn Gray.

RB's
Some of the more prominent unrestricted free agent running backs still available include Corey Dillon, Chris Brown, Kevan Barlow, Lee Suggs, Ron Dayne, Musa Smith, Correll Buckhalter, Tony Fisher and Derrick Blaylock. The only real intriguing option available as a restricted free agent is Michael Turner of the Chargers.

WR's
Some of the more prominent unrestricted free agent receivers still available include Eric Moulds, Antonio Bryant, Kevin Curtis, Brandon Stokley, Travis Taylor, Keenan McCardell, Charles Rogers, Darius Watts, Corey Bradford and Az-Zahir Hakim. The best restricted free agent receivers left on the market are D.J. Hackett, Samie Parker, Patrick Crayton, Ernest Wilford and Terrance Copper.

TE's
The best unrestricted free agent tight ends left on the market include Jerramy Stevens, Jermaine Wiggins, Ernie Conwell, Itula Mili, Marcus Pollard and Donald Lee.

Who has been signed that isn't comparable to players that are left on these lists? Who was signed that is a star? Who was signed that is more then a role player? What difference maker did we miss on?

I'm fed up with the false pretense that you lose a season by not racing into free agency. Thompson does have something to prove in the area of free agency but that 'something' sure as hell aint how fast he can make signings OR how much money he can spend the fastest!

mraynrand
03-13-2007, 01:51 PM
Al Michaels once referred to Favre as the 'little girl with the curl' from the children's rhyme.

Patler, what was this thread about?

HIJACKED!