PDA

View Full Version : Getting ugly on the Lance Briggs front

esoxx
03-12-2007, 07:55 PM
From PFW:

POSTED 8:13 p.m. EDT, March 12, 2007

BRIGGS SAYS HE'S DONE WITH BEARS

Jay Glazer of FOXSports.com reports that Bears linebacker Lance Briggs has vowed to never play again for the Chicago Bears.

"I am now prepared to sit out the year if the Bears don't trade me or release me," Briggs told Glazer. "I've played my last snap for them. I'll never play another down for Chicago again."

Though one of the primary reasons for the decisions is the team's refusal to try to sign him to a long-term deal, Briggs also said that he's ready to step out of the shadows of middle linebacker Brian Urlacher and be "the guy" somewhere else.

"I've talked to Brian about it," said Briggs. "I'm a competitor and I want the same thing he has. I've learned a lot from Brian as a player and a leader and I eventually want to be 'the man' somewhere. I want to be like him and have everything put on me too. Obviously I'll never be able to do that there."

If Briggs sits out the entire season, his rights will remain with the Bears, and they will be able to slap the franchise on him again.

Our take? Briggs is trying to create sufficient acrimony in the relationship so that the Bears will decide that it makes no sense to hold onto his rights -- and thus work out a trade. The problem is that, by going public with his intent to never play for the Bears again, the team necessarily has less leverage for a trade.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's sure a shame to see this happen to the Bears. :violin: