PDA

View Full Version : Things that make you want to punch your computer

SkinBasket
03-12-2007, 10:35 PM
...Right in the goddamn face!

1) Programs that take 7x longer to shut down than they did to start up. WTF bitch?!

2) Anti-virus programs that slow my computer down far more than any virus or spyware ever has. And I actually pay money for this privilege.

3) RealPlayer auto-updating, then suddenly telling me it can't play ANY of my fucking mp3's that it's played for the last 8 years. Go fuck yourselves real networks.

4) Reboots after installations. What the mother fuck year is it? 1985?

5) Predictive type that ends up sticking the wrong fucking words in the wrong fucking places because it's so fucking smart.

Feel free to add to this list.

Partial
03-12-2007, 10:36 PM
www.apple.com

the_idle_threat
03-12-2007, 10:38 PM
www.apple.com

Nah ... that's something that makes you want to punch a computer owner.

SkinBasket
03-12-2007, 10:38 PM
www.apple.com

6) Every time I see some asshole claim an Apple never has any problems... ever. I'll punch my own computer right in the uterus for no other reason than the technology is somewhat related.

BallHawk
03-12-2007, 10:42 PM
www.apple.com

http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2004/20040312l.jpg

GrnBay007
03-12-2007, 10:43 PM

1) Programs that take 7x longer to shut down than they did to start up. WTF bitch?!

2) Anti-virus programs that slow my computer down far more than any virus or spyware ever has. And I actually pay money for this privilege.

3) RealPlayer auto-updating, then suddenly telling me it can't play ANY of my fucking mp3's that it's played for the last 8 years. Go fuck yourselves real networks.

5) Predictive type that ends up sticking the wrong fucking words in the wrong fucking places because it's so fucking smart.

If you were computer illiterate like me, these things wouldn't bother you so much. :P

Partial
03-12-2007, 10:44 PM

1. On a mac, you can have an application open without having it occupying your screen real-estate and occupying ungodly ammounts of ram. Also, it is just irritating in windows have your task bar filled up at the bottom.

2. No need for anti-virus. I don't use it with windows either, though.

3. Realplayer? Realplayer?!?!?! REALPLAYER?!?!?! Skin... come on...
VLC media player or MPlayer. That should cover it. For a music jukebox, I really cannot stand the new iTunes so I use FooBar2000 which is freeware.

4. Macs have to do this. Both Leopard and Vista are implementing a method to avoid restarting, though.

5. That shit is annoying. I really hate that, especially in Java based applications where it is too slow and when you type straight through it, you end up losing half the characters you type.

Charles Woodson
03-13-2007, 04:35 PM
http://www.coolabi.com/iloveeggnew/newsite/eggsong_popup.htm

Little Whiskey
03-13-2007, 06:08 PM
I know its not a computer, but the damn thing has one inside. my effin cell phone with a full signal won't complete a call!! system busy!!! bullshit!! you are effin Nextel! the whole world could be talking on your phones and the system shouldn't be busy!! I've been trying for 10 minutes.

Freak Out
03-13-2007, 06:49 PM

1. More ram.

2. AVG Free, best AV and its free.

3. It sucks that certain sources will ONLY broadcast in Realaudio's crappy format. Realplayer...an annoying piece of crap.

4. A pain but not that big a deal....driver or reg only for the most part.

5. Watch out for auto text!

6. Buggy drivers for cutting edge hardware. I'm paying all this $$$ for top of the line hardware and you jerk-offs have the balls to release it with shit drivers. Fuckheads..

red
03-13-2007, 08:39 PM
i'm on dial up, i don't live where i can get high speed

i love the windows auto-updates that take 50 hours to download, killing any chance i have at browsing the web, and then wacthing as another one starts up as soon as the first one is done

i swear, 95% of my online resources are tied up with fucking updates

and god help me if i turn the stupid things off

Partial
03-13-2007, 08:50 PM
i'm on dial up, i don't live where i can get high speed

i love the windows auto-updates that take 50 hours to download, killing any chance i have at browsing the web, and then wacthing as another one starts up as soon as the first one is done

i swear, 95% of my online resources are tied up with fucking updates

and god help me if i turn the stupid things off

go to start, run, msconfig, services, uncheck automatic updates. Problem solved.

Freak Out
03-13-2007, 09:09 PM
Partial has gone Spartan...at least the Hollywood version of Spartan. Was it any good?

Freak Out
03-13-2007, 09:10 PM
Partial has gone Spartan...at least the Hollywood version of Spartan. Was it any good?

Sorry...just saw the poll.

GBRulz
03-13-2007, 11:56 PM
I don't want to punch my computer, but I'd like to punch Sony. I bought a new laptop a couple months ago, pre Vista. Well, there was a promo going on where you get a free Vista upgrade when it comes out. Just TODAY I receive an email from Sony that I will receive my Vista upgrade in another 3-5 weeks. WTF. I should have just waited to buy the laptop with Vista already on it, but well..... it was a great deal on the laptop and I couldn't pass it up :lol:

I actually went out and bought Vista a couple weeks ago because I am well, impatient... and I ended up selling it on eBay because I didn't have the driver upgrade disc to go with it, so it was useless. See, the original drivers disc didn't come with the laptop because it was going to be shipped with the Vista upgrade disc.

I'm just curious if any of you took part in the Vista upgrade program and if so, have you received your disc yet?

I hate being patient. :doh:

BF4MVP
03-14-2007, 01:06 AM
I hate when it goes into sleep mode..then when it "wakes up" it runs so god damn slow :bang:

MJZiggy
03-14-2007, 07:22 AM
I hate when it goes into sleep mode..then when it "wakes up" it runs so god damn slow :bang:

I have the same problem until I have my coffee...

Zool
03-14-2007, 07:28 AM
I don't want to punch my computer, but I'd like to punch Sony. I bought a new laptop a couple months ago, pre Vista. Well, there was a promo going on where you get a free Vista upgrade when it comes out. Just TODAY I receive an email from Sony that I will receive my Vista upgrade in another 3-5 weeks. WTF. I should have just waited to buy the laptop with Vista already on it, but well..... it was a great deal on the laptop and I couldn't pass it up :lol:

I actually went out and bought Vista a couple weeks ago because I am well, impatient... and I ended up selling it on eBay because I didn't have the driver upgrade disc to go with it, so it was useless. See, the original drivers disc didn't come with the laptop because it was going to be shipped with the Vista upgrade disc.

I'm just curious if any of you took part in the Vista upgrade program and if so, have you received your disc yet?

I hate being patient. :doh:Dont upgrade M. Not yet at least. Its just not ready for prime time. They had to get a product out to their OEM's per the contract they signed. Its just not ready yet. When SP1 comes out, then give it a whirl.

Partial
03-14-2007, 07:32 AM
Yeah I gave it a trail install and it runs like shit on my system, which is a few years old now but respectable.

I ran it on a 3200+ 32-bit processor, a gig of ram, and a 9600xt 256mb.

A much better bet would be Ubuntu with Beryl. It looks better, has more tons of entirely free software, and was compatible and more useable than I ever imagined.

Zool
03-14-2007, 07:53 AM
Is the newest build of Ubuntu out yet?

GBRulz
03-14-2007, 09:20 AM
Dont upgrade M. Not yet at least. Its just not ready for prime time. They had to get a product out to their OEM's per the contract they signed. Its just not ready yet. When SP1 comes out, then give it a whirl.

But, it's so pretty to look at :lol:

I'm curious though, when it comes to doing the actual upgrade, what is the benefit of doing a clean install vs. just upgrading? The upgrading idea of course is more attractive to me because it doesn't wipe out my programs and stuff, but I've heard that doing a clean install of the new OS is better.

Zool
03-14-2007, 09:33 AM
You cannot do a clean install of Vista with an upgrade copy. Have a friend who tried specifically. You need to have an OS on the system first.

I would always do a clean install, but I'm a system speed whore. You do alot of graphic design right? What I do is keep my operating system on 1 drive and all of my data on a secondary pair of drives in a RAID1 mirror. That way when it comes to a Windows install, nothing is lost.

Partial
03-14-2007, 09:37 AM
Is the newest build of Ubuntu out yet?

Fiesty Fawn is due out april 19th. It's going to be really, really nice. The version after that, name unknown at this time, will include 3d desktops on by default!!

Partial
03-14-2007, 09:38 AM
Dont upgrade M. Not yet at least. Its just not ready for prime time. They had to get a product out to their OEM's per the contract they signed. Its just not ready yet. When SP1 comes out, then give it a whirl.

But, it's so pretty to look at :lol:

I'm curious though, when it comes to doing the actual upgrade, what is the benefit of doing a clean install vs. just upgrading? The upgrading idea of course is more attractive to me because it doesn't wipe out my programs and stuff, but I've heard that doing a clean install of the new OS is better.

It looks a lot like OS X, minus the whole functionality behind the pretty. The blatant rip-off of Expose is awful!!!!

I always do a fresh install. I recommend others do the same. I always try to keep all my data on a second drive, like Zooly.

GBRulz
03-14-2007, 09:57 AM
You cannot do a clean install of Vista with an upgrade copy. Have a friend who tried specifically. You need to have an OS on the system first.

I would always do a clean install, but I'm a system speed whore. You do alot of graphic design right? What I do is keep my operating system on 1 drive and all of my data on a secondary pair of drives in a RAID1 mirror. That way when it comes to a Windows install, nothing is lost.

Well, when I bought the Vista upgrade disc, it speficially asked if I wanted to do a clean install or just upgrade.

Yeah, I do alot of graphic design and I ended up getting an imac for it. Video Editing is an absolute hog and I found my system (my PC) lagging, even though it had 2gigs of RAM, Pent Dual Core Proc, etc...

I backup all my files to an external drive, I've learned my lesson in not backing up files the hard way :cry:

Partial
03-14-2007, 10:08 AM

Well, when I bought the Vista upgrade disc, it speficially asked if I wanted to do a clean install or just upgrade.

Yeah, I do alot of graphic design and I ended up getting an imac for it. Video Editing is an absolute hog and I found my system (my PC) lagging, even though it had 2gigs of RAM, Pent Dual Core Proc, etc...

I backup all my files to an external drive, I've learned my lesson in not backing up files the hard way :cry:

I don't remember, do you have the G5 iMac, Core Duo iMac, or Core 2 Duo iMac?

Zool
03-14-2007, 10:12 AM

I backup all my files to an external drive, I've learned my lesson in not backing up files the hard way :cry:Nice. Macs are great for multi media. Why didnt you go for the G5 quad core tower? Heh....$3000 later you would have little wait time.

GBRulz
03-14-2007, 11:04 AM
ha! Yeah, I think when I custom configured a G5, it came to like $4500 with the things I wanted! Let's just say that I did not hit the "add to cart" button! I ended up going with the Intel Core Duo 2 w/ 20" display. I'm very happy with it and I think the price was quite reasonable as well. People complain that Macs are more expensive, but what they don't realize is that alot of the software they need for common tasks is already included vs a PC you have to run out and buy. I like my Mac, but not enough to give up my PC laptop :lol:

Zool
03-14-2007, 11:21 AM
You can BUY software? :whist:

GBRulz
03-14-2007, 12:07 PM
You can BUY software? :whist:

ha ha ha !!!!!

Partial
03-15-2007, 12:37 PM
Piracy is illegal and immoral.

Zool
03-15-2007, 12:40 PM
Yar...yee be a hypocrite.

Partial
03-15-2007, 12:41 PM
Yar...yee be a hypocrite.

Nah. Not me. I am far too pissed to pirate content. My modded xbox with all the movies i've downloaded over the years on it is currently out of comission. That's why I'm pissed.