PDA

View Full Version : Doesn't sound like a rumor anymore...

MadtownPacker
03-13-2007, 03:25 AM
Moss: Deal, or no deal? (http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=576312)
GM to outline plan to acquire receiver
By BOB McGINN
bmcginn@journalsentinel.com
Posted: March 13, 2007

Green Bay - At some point this morning, Ted Thompson will make his monthly presentation to his bosses at the Green Bay Packers and the subject of his keen interest in acquiring Oakland wide receiver Randy Moss undoubtedly will top the agenda.

At that time, chairman of the board Bob Harlan, President John Jones and six members of the executive committee will hear details from Thompson regarding his plan to add Moss, and the general manager will learn what management has to say about the raging debate in Packer Nation.

"Ted has not spent a lot of time talking to me about it, quite honestly," Harlan said Monday. "Ted always starts out our meetings with a football report so he may get into that."

Sources have said the two teams have been discussing Moss for more than a month. On Monday, a source familiar with the inner workings of both organizations said Thompson had spoken directly with Raiders owner Al Davis about dealing for Moss.

"They're going to get rid of him," the source said. "I think they think they can trade him. And I know Green Bay has interest."

Thompson refuses to discuss Moss, and Davis always operates under a veil of secrecy. Tim DiPiero, the agent for Moss, was unavailable for comment.

But the source said he was confident that Packers negotiator Andrew Brandt, with permission from Davis, already had had preliminary talks to restructure Moss' remaining base salaries of $9.75 million in 2007 and $11.25 million in '08.

Davis is 77 and struggles to walk, but Raiders employees maintain that he remains as competitive as ever. If Thompson is passionate about anything, it would be holding on to his draft choices.

It's possible that the two sides might not agree on compensation until summer, if at all, with Davis holding out for at least a second-round pick to save face and Thompson hoping he'll just waive Moss and gain a reported $8 million in cap space.

"But Al is stubborn," one source said. "He might hang on to the guy and tell the new coach (Lane Kiffin) just to go (expletive) coach him."

In the end, Thompson might part with a middle-round choice for the 30-year-old Moss, a devastating deep threat for seven seasons in Minnesota but a dud in Oakland for the last two.

If the Packers were to offer a player, the source said the Raiders wouldn't have any interest in quarterback Aaron Rodgers but indicated that defensive end Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila or defensive tackle Corey Williams might have considerable appeal to them. The Packers insist Rodgers isn't available, anyway.

Despite acquiring wide receivers Donte' Stallworth, Kelley Washington and Wes Welker in the last week, New England admires Moss and still might take him, one source said. Tampa Bay also has interest but probably only if it can't select Georgia Tech's Calvin Johnson with the No. 4 pick.

Today in the board room, Thompson will find out whether the men who run the franchise can stomach having Moss on the team. In fairness to Thompson, Harlan said he didn't know yet if the opposition to Moss would preclude a match being made.

"I've told Ted about the calls I've gotten but I haven't talked to him since Fan Fest ended or what happened today," said Harlan, who had just finished fielding five more calls on Moss.

"When it first started as a rumor, Ted came in to see me. I told him, 'I don't know what you're thinking about Randy Moss but I've got to let you know that the initial response I'm getting is not good.' It has settled down a little bit since then. I'd say it's been maybe 65-35% anti."

On Monday, Harlan shared the contents of a fax and phone call that summarized the no-Moss sentiment.

"One man wrote, 'Moody. Excess baggage. Disruptive. Do any of these words sound like alarm bells to you?' " Harlan said. "One guy called from out of state and said, 'Bob, I'd rather see you go 0-16 than do that.' Isn't that something?

"They're very passionate about it. A lot of it probably is the mooning thing. They just won't forgive him for doing that."

Other fans equate the situation to the '96 waiver pickup of character risk Andre Rison, a late-season starter on the Super Bowl team.

"People say to me, 'Brett (Favre) needs a big target. I know he's got baggage but he's never hurt anybody,' " Harlan said. "Today, they were all, 'Take a chance.' "

With Harlan ready to retire in late May, he vividly recalls the scandalous trials of the 1980s involving Mossy Cade and James Lofton.

"We've always talked about the public-relations image of the franchise and the class image of the franchise," Harlan said. "Those are important things to me, very important things to me.

"Ron Wolf was looking at a draft pick with baggage one year and he said, 'Where do you hide him in Green Bay?' And I said, 'You don't.' "

CaliforniaCheez
03-13-2007, 04:25 AM
Bob McGinn wrote the earlier article at MJS.

So much of this is coming from McGinn and his one source.
Who is this source?
"Thompson refuses to discuss Moss, and Davis always operates under a veil of secrecy. Tim DiPiero(crack addict), the agent for Moss, was unavailable for comment."

Who has been putting out the Packers, Patriots, Bucaneers interest rumors?

This article explains that it is just a monthly meeting of Ted Thompson with Bob Harlan.

Will Harlan read the riot act to Thompson?

No, the whole Randy Moss debate is overblown.

If straightforward deals with free agents haven't happened, throw in some more monkey wrenches:

1) High salary
2) Trade
3) Al Davis is no softie negotiator
4) Moss ego
5) Ted is frugal
6) Ted likes draft picks.

Sure makes a Barnett extension look a lot easier.

Conditions would change if Moss is cut by the Raiders after June 1st.
or they Packers draft a good receiver.

There are just too many things that would mess up a deal if it were wanted in the first place.

swede
03-13-2007, 07:39 AM
On TMJ this morning they were suggesting that a number of polling methods were actually running in favor of aquiring Moss, somewhat contrary to the information that Harlan has been getting about the feelings of the Packer nation.

I guess people are more likely to holler, "Hey Harlan! Keep that g.d. Moss away from my Packers!" across the grocery store parking lot than something reasonable and supportive.

Reasonable arguments for aquiring controversial yet talented players don't project effectively when hollered as Harlan rolls by.

"Screw Moss!" sympathies communicate well in two syllables.

pbmax
03-13-2007, 08:30 AM
Harlan has all but confirmed this by commenting publicly. He may be trying to break the news slowly so there isn't a giant backlash at once after the announcement.

I don't think this is a good idea. PFT had a Harlan quote that mentioned someone telling him, "its not like he ever hurt anybody". Which means our standards are a bit low now.

prsnfoto
03-13-2007, 08:35 AM
I think the best way to get this done is to get rid of KGB it saves us money. It would be much easier to sell to the public than giving up a second or in my opinion third is even too much. I guess you could give up williams and a fifth, but with all our holes to fill we can't afford a high draft pick. As far as his salary is concerned I would give him all his guarenteed money this year and make it like Woodsen and Harris' play to get paid money in the future if he is producing he gets good money if not he's gone.

prsnfoto
03-13-2007, 08:40 AM
Harlan has all but confirmed this by commenting publicly. He may be trying to break the news slowly so there isn't a giant backlash at once after the announcement.

I don't think this is a good idea. PFT had a Harlan quote that mentioned someone telling him, "its not like he ever hurt anybody". Which means our standards are a bit low now.

I don't like the thought of lowering our standards either but what other impact player is left unless someone cuts a big name player that isn''t 36 years old? I just can't see us going into the draft filling RB,WR,TE,Safety,Nickelback,FB and back-up O-linemen all in the same draft. I realize it is only one position but it is better than none and maybe it lets us get by without the TE need.

pbmax
03-13-2007, 08:49 AM
Not so fast on the crack addict label:

from PFT:

Di Trapano originally was arrested in March on drug charges in Florida. Moss initially said that he'd stand behind his agent, but several weeks later he quietly dropped di Trapano from a representation team that includes his former law partner, Tim DiPiero.

Bob McGinn wrote the earlier article at MJS.

So much of this is coming from McGinn and his one source.
Who is this source?
"Thompson refuses to discuss Moss, and Davis always operates under a veil of secrecy. Tim DiPiero(crack addict), the agent for Moss, was unavailable for comment."

Who has been putting out the Packers, Patriots, Bucaneers interest rumors?

This article explains that it is just a monthly meeting of Ted Thompson with Bob Harlan.

Will Harlan read the riot act to Thompson?

No, the whole Randy Moss debate is overblown.

If straightforward deals with free agents haven't happened, throw in some more monkey wrenches:

1) High salary
2) Trade
3) Al Davis is no softie negotiator
4) Moss ego
5) Ted is frugal
6) Ted likes draft picks.

Sure makes a Barnett extension look a lot easier.

Conditions would change if Moss is cut by the Raiders after June 1st.
or they Packers draft a good receiver.

There are just too many things that would mess up a deal if it were wanted in the first place.

LL2
03-13-2007, 09:00 AM
What I would like to know is if Moss even wants to come to GB? We know he wants to go to a contender, but GB isn’t exactly New England knocking on that SB door every year. I would hope if the deal is done that Moss WANTS to be in GB, otherwise he will be like a broken tooth and a foot out of joint.

MadtownPacker
03-13-2007, 09:04 AM
I don't think this is a good idea. PFT had a Harlan quote that mentioned someone telling him, "its not like he ever hurt anybody". Which means our standards are a bit low now.I took it more as "we need to get over ourselves" which is 100% correct. Moss has been a model citizen compared to say, KRob. If the only reason people say no to Moss is because of the mooning or all the TDs he scored against the Pack then they are tripping and dont really want to see a winning team.

This would be the best upgrade TT could make on offense. It would allow even a medicore RB to find holes in the D due to the double coverage Moss would get.

I wonder what DD thinks about all this?

Packnut
03-13-2007, 09:10 AM
I don't think this is a good idea. PFT had a Harlan quote that mentioned someone telling him, "its not like he ever hurt anybody". Which means our standards are a bit low now.I took it more as "we need to get over ourselves" which is 100% correct. Moss has been a model citizen compared to say, KRob. If the only reason people say no to Moss is because of the mooning or all the TDs he scored against the Pack then they are tripping and dont really want to see a winning team.

This would be the best upgrade TT could make on offense. It would allow even a medicore RB to find holes in the D due to the double coverage Moss would get.

Mad- problem is that people let there personal feelings for a player take priority over what is best for the team. The ONLY debate in this situation is will he re-stucture and what will it cost to get him. Nothing else matters.

wist43
03-13-2007, 09:14 AM
Moss's greatest sin is that he has quit on his teammates on more than one occassion.

Terrell Owens is just as much of punk as Moss is, but at least you know he's giving his all on every play.

Moss is a primadonna... If he played hard on every play, cared about winning, cared about his teammates??? Then maybe I'd consider him.

But given his weak character and his penchant for sulking, pouting, and quitting on his teammates - NO WAY do I want Moss.

MadtownPacker
03-13-2007, 09:14 AM
But the source said he was confident that Packers negotiator Andrew Brandt, with permission from Davis, already had had preliminary talks to restructure Moss' remaining base salaries of $9.75 million in 2007 and $11.25 million in '08.
Sounds like Moss might be willing to work something out. Love him or hate him it sounds like we better get ready for this to go down.

MadtownPacker
03-13-2007, 09:15 AM
If he played hard on every play, cared about winning, cared about his teammates??? Then maybe I'd consider him.Barnett does all of the above and you still dont consider him a worthy starter.

Partial
03-13-2007, 09:15 AM
I gave up on caring. I don't want him.

Partial
03-13-2007, 09:17 AM
If he played hard on every play, cared about winning, cared about his teammates??? Then maybe I'd consider him.Barnett does all of the above and you still dont consider him a worthy starter.

In Wists defense, meeting those standards != a good player. Good player should meet those standards, though.

MadtownPacker
03-13-2007, 09:17 AM
Kick him to the curb, remember the titans.Actually, the "titans" did the kicking to the curb last season (McNair).

Partial
03-13-2007, 09:18 AM
I was referencing the movie and a team that achieved based on character and determination. We don't need that cancer.

cheesner
03-13-2007, 09:23 AM
Favre is fine with acquiring Moss - that's good enough for me.

If there is a backlash (which I doubt), do you think Favre making a statement welcoming him to the team would put some people at ease?

pbmax
03-13-2007, 09:23 AM
I thought the mooning was fine and thought it was funny. And it helped prove Joe Buck a cowardly opportunist. Having heard Chris Carter tell the story of fans mooning the Vikings bus, I connected the two before Buck could induce outrage.

And I hold no grudges over TDs scored against the Pack. I'd love to have several members of the Patriots and Jets regardless of their shellacking of the Pack.

This is about who Moss is. He walks off the field before the game is over. He coasts when he doesn't believe the ball is coming his way. How will that work when Favre is running around like a crazed 6 year old?

There are physical questions, several people have observed he has lost a step. He doesn't run inside routes willingly. He love of the go and post will encourage Favre to hoist moon shots. If Moss is as dedicated to proving himself as Walker was, then this is good. If he's slacking, this will be ugly.

He is also close to 30.

The upside is that this signing would be Charles Woodson all over again. Dump a ton of money in the first year, and then play out the string as long as he holds it together.

Woodson worked out well. I have even more questions with Moss. Hopefully, he will prove me wrong.

MadtownPacker
03-13-2007, 09:27 AM
Favre is fine with acquiring Moss - that's good enough for me.
Thats what Im talkin bout!!

Favre is the presence that will allow this to work. If it was ARod or a new QB I would say no way but like my sig with Moss' quote says......

Packnut
03-13-2007, 09:29 AM
Moss's greatest sin is that he has quit on his teammates on more than one occassion.

Terrell Owens is just as much of punk as Moss is, but at least you know he's giving his all on every play.

Moss is a primadonna... If he played hard on every play, cared about winning, cared about his teammates??? Then maybe I'd consider him.

But given his weak character and his penchant for sulking, pouting, and quitting on his teammates - NO WAY do I want Moss.

Moss will help Favre and that's all that counts in my book. Besides, what else do we have to look forward to this season? Right now it look's pretty boring does'nt it? As it stands, our offense is down-right pathetic and would be hard pressed to avg better than 14 ppg. At least watching Brett throw up some bombs to Randy would add some excitement to the equation. :lol:

pbmax
03-13-2007, 09:30 AM
On this rare occasion, I am even more cynical than wist. Owens has taken plays off before as well, as well as quitting on his QBs by short arming the ball if he feels he's not involved enough.

Owens has also be accused this year of not knowing the playbook. He said he knew "his plays". Doesn't sound like a candidate for a good second or third progression receiver.

Moss is less clever than Owens and makes his sulking more obvious. Owens is bad, I think Moss would be worse. The only advantage here is that the media circus around Moss is smaller than Owens. Except for the times where he discusses publicly his use of weed.

pbmax
03-13-2007, 09:35 AM
I understand packnuts point. Maybe there is more Cliff Christl in Ted Thompson than we think. Has anyone seen them together?

Unlike every receiver and back in the FA market, Moss can change games. If he is interested.

BooHoo
03-13-2007, 09:37 AM

I have some of the same concerns as wist. Although I think Owens stinks worse. At least Moss hasn't shot is mouth off as much in recent years. At least not that has been covered on national news. Does our coaching staff have the where-with-all to properly coach Moss? Do we have enough coaching expertise to make Moss shine? Do we have strong player leadership on the team to force Moss to play for the team? Reggie White and his type we do not have! Brett is a leader but can he make the necesary impact on Moss? A lot of questions to answer. And unfortunately we may not find the answers until after a long season.

Packnut
03-13-2007, 09:42 AM
I understand packnuts point. Maybe there is more Cliff Christl in Ted Thompson than we think. Has anyone seen them together?

Unlike every receiver and back in the FA market, Moss can change games. If he is interested.

I'm counting on the "Favre factor" to have at least a minimal amount of influence on Randy. Now if things go south, I can see Randy acting up and causing trouble and there is the risk of Jennings watching Randy take plays off, but we've got the "anti-Moss" antidote in Donald Driver.

It's all risk vs reward in any event. I look at it this way, a very boring 6-10 season without Randy and may-be an exciting drama filled 8-8 with him. :lol:

red
03-13-2007, 09:50 AM
alright, i've been wanting to say this for awhile

the goal of any team is to win games. period

that stadium doesn't fill up every sunday to watch the team hand out presents to little kids or to watch them help little old ladies cross the road. people fill that stadium to watch the team try and win

the main goal of every nfl team and its fans is for their team to win championships, not win citizenship awards

sad, but true

prsnfoto
03-13-2007, 09:58 AM

I'm counting on the "Favre factor" to have at least a minimal amount of influence on Randy. Now if things go south, I can see Randy acting up and causing trouble and there is the risk of Jennings watching Randy take plays off, but we've got the "anti-Moss" antidote in Donald Driver.

It's all risk vs reward in any event. I look at it this way, a very boring 6-10 season without Randy and may-be an exciting drama filled 8-8 with him. :lol:

Bingo, I think DD would love to see him let's face it as great of shape as DD is in he takes a beating every year fron double and triple teams and this could extend his career there is plenty of balls to go around. I also don't think he will care about the Randy Ratio, I think the best case scenario is he gets 40-50 catches but averages high teens per catch he doesn't like the middle anyhow there is plenty of that for DD and Jennings and they are use to it.

Packnut
03-13-2007, 10:11 AM

Bingo, I think DD would love to see him let's face it as great of shape as DD is in he takes a beating every year fron double and triple teams and this could extend his career there is plenty of balls to go around. I also don't think he will care about the Randy Ratio, I think the best case scenario is he gets 40-50 catches but averages high teens per catch he doesn't like the middle anyhow there is plenty of that for DD and Jennings and they are use to it.

Yep, you nailed it. It's all about one player's ability complementing anothers. Driver and Jennings are slant type guys. The way things are now, with no threat of a run game, teams are gonna make it a priority to take the slants away from us. Moss is a deep threat despite his perceived talent diminishing skills label.

Even a Taking plays off, bad -attitude, skill diminished Randy Moss is BETTER than what we have now as far as deep threats go.

GBRulz
03-13-2007, 10:30 AM
I want to win. I am not interested in being the Sister Mary School of Nuns.

Packnut
03-13-2007, 10:34 AM

AMEN!

swede
03-13-2007, 10:43 AM

Hey, I went to parochial school. Believe me, those nuns could head slap like nobody's business!

packers11
03-13-2007, 10:53 AM
"When it first started as a rumor, Ted came in to see me. I told him, 'I don't know what you're thinking about Randy Moss but I've got to let you know that the initial response I'm getting is not good.' It has settled down a little bit since then. I'd say it's been maybe 65-35% anti."

NO WAY... Its about even or a little more in favor OF getting Randy Moss... Just look at most of the polls out their on the subject, I haven't seen one yet where the opposition had more votes...

Packnut
03-13-2007, 10:54 AM

Hey, I went to parochial school. Believe me, those nuns could head slap like nobody's business!

Had a 4'9" German nun in 5th grade who could swing a ruler just as hard as Pujols swings a bat! :lol:

GBRulz
03-13-2007, 11:02 AM

Had a 4'9" German nun in 5th grade who could swing a ruler just as hard as Pujols swings a bat! :lol:

My Mom went to Catholic School as a kid. She is left handed and at the time, that was something that was just not accepted. She got her hand slapped many times by a nun wih a ruler when caught writing with her left hand. Anyhow... this is going against my point, guys !!! :lol:

Green Bud Packer
03-13-2007, 11:02 AM

NO WAY... Its about even or a little more in favor OF getting Randy Moss... Just look at most of the polls out their on the subject, I haven't seen one yet where the opposition had more votes...you calling harlan a liar or just misinformed? moss would make the pack a better team and i'm all for a better pack.do it ted.

Green Bud Packer
03-13-2007, 11:05 AM
i had a nun who would be "all time q.b." for us at recess. she had a cannon and we called her sister bart.

pbmax
03-13-2007, 12:06 PM
Sign 'em up. We could use a third defensive line coach.

pbmax
03-13-2007, 12:09 PM
That kind of thinking kills me. Left handed was considered the influence of the devil. I have a relative who used to offer treats to children but held them until they reached with their "right" hand.

Does your Mom write left handed today?

My Mom went to Catholic School as a kid. She is left handed and at the time, that was something that was just not accepted. She got her hand slapped many times by a nun wih a ruler when caught writing with her left hand. Anyhow... this is going against my point, guys !!! :lol:

MadtownPacker
03-13-2007, 12:12 PM
Save your holy talk for another day, this thread is about the devil!!! :satan:

Partial
03-13-2007, 12:19 PM

AMEN!

There is another guy is the league known for his "just win, baby!" philosophy. You all tell me how well that is worked for him. Character is key.

Packnut
03-13-2007, 12:21 PM

AMEN!

There is another guy is the league known for his "just win, baby!" philosophy. You all tell me how well that is worked for him. Character is key.

You can have character, I'll take talent every time.

Partial
03-13-2007, 12:33 PM

AMEN!

Well then, I think we should do a comparative analysis between the epitamy of character being the New England Patriots, and the Just Win Baby Raiders.

Super Bowl Wins in last ten years: Patriots 3, Raiders 0

So much for that load of BS.

MadtownPacker
03-13-2007, 12:40 PM
There is another guy is the league known for his "just win, baby!" philosophy. You all tell me how well that is worked for him. Character is key.That philosophy got his team to the SB in 2002 so I much as I cant stand him I think your comment is weak and uninformed.

Packnut
03-13-2007, 12:43 PM

AMEN!

Well then, I think we should do a comparative analysis between the epitamy of character being the New England Patriots, and the Just Win Baby Raiders.

Gee, I remember the Pack wining a SB with a guy who likes to party with 17 yr old girls. Won with a QB who had a pain killer addiction. Won a SB with a WR who went by the nick-name "bad moon rising".

As far as the Patriots, any astute NFL fan can fill you in on the character issues regarding one C Dillon before he signed there. So much for a load of BS. :P

Partial
03-13-2007, 12:48 PM
There is another guy is the league known for his "just win, baby!" philosophy. You all tell me how well that is worked for him. Character is key.That philosophy got his team to the SB in 2002 so I much as I cant stand him I think your comment is weak and uninformed.

And what did they do 5 years prior and 4 years since?

MadtownPacker
03-13-2007, 12:49 PM
Dont forget about Tommy "hole-in-one" Brady.

Have you seen his new ad campaign?

"My names Tom Brady, and I might just be the father of your baby"

http://img.timeinc.net/golfonline/images/2004/11/brady_299.jpg

Partial
03-13-2007, 12:49 PM
Dillion was the one bad guy and he came in and was a straight arrow. I don't think you'd get that from Moss.

Favre was a pain killer addict but he wasn't going to the media actin' a fool. Nor was Chmura. There is a difference.

Actin' a fool to the media and denoucing teammates, giving up on teammates, etc divides a locker room.

Unless you are a united front you won't win in the playoffs.

Packnut
03-13-2007, 12:53 PM

Now THAT is classic! I guess some people have a difference of opinion on what character means........

MadtownPacker
03-13-2007, 12:53 PM
And what did they do 5 years prior and 4 years since?The 5 years before they where in the playoffs a few times, the 4 years after they have been in hell.

How does this relate to Moss?

Try making a point that is actually a point. :roll:

Partial
03-13-2007, 12:54 PM
And what did they do 5 years prior and 4 years since?The 5 years before they where in the playoffs a few times, the 4 years after they have been in hell.

How does this relate to Moss?

Try making a point that is actually a point. :roll:

They have shitty character guys and get no where. Moss has been a cancer on every team he has ever been on outside of his rookie year. I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot poll.

Tony Oday
03-13-2007, 12:54 PM
I WILL NOT ACCEPT THIS TRADE!!!!! KGB for Moss and we still HAVE to keep Turd Furgeson!!! F THAT!!! I say we throw in a draft pick so the take Turd!

FritzDontBlitz
03-13-2007, 12:58 PM
somebody refresh my memory: exactly how much love did tt get from the league, media and fans when he signed charles woodson? if i'm not mistaken the response was exactly the same as it is for this potential signing....

Cheesehead Craig
03-13-2007, 12:58 PM
Comparing the Raiders organization with the Pats is ridiculous. There is no comparison. Move along now...

MadtownPacker
03-13-2007, 12:59 PM
They have shitty character guys and get no where. Moss has been a cancer on every team he has ever been on outside of his rookie year. I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot poll.
He has only been on two teams and based on what Rastak has said was well liked by his teammates until the meltdown in 2004. A change of pace did Woodson a world of good, whos to say the same doesnt happen for Moss?

BTW - I would hardly compare the Packs current roster to that of the raiders.

BF4MVP
Gotta get a deal done. We need Moss!

FritzDontBlitz
and i say keep kgb as the 3rd down specialist, corey williams is much more expendable.

FritzDontBlitz
03-13-2007, 01:10 PM
by the way, green bay fans sound awfully hypocritical when you look at the embarrassing antics of some of their former players compared to moss.

personally i will take a pantomime mooning (by a wr that consistently burned my ass on the field) over finding out that my star tight end likes to party with teenagers in a hot tub ANY day.

and do we really need to bring up any of the outrageous crap that went on in the 80's? i think not.

you guys really need to get a grip.

BF4MVP
03-13-2007, 01:12 PM
Poll on PackerChatters front page:

3-13-2007 - Do you want Randy Moss in the Green Bay Packers green & gold?

Yes, he can help the team 415

No, he is to much of a problem 77

Total votes: 492

Partial
03-13-2007, 01:27 PM
by the way, green bay fans sound awfully hypocritical when you look at the embarrassing antics of some of their former players compared to moss.

personally i will take a pantomime mooning (by a wr that consistently burned my ass on the field) over finding out that my star tight end likes to party with teenagers in a hot tub ANY day.

and do we really need to bring up any of the outrageous crap that went on in the 80's? i think not.

Poppycock. Who here hasn't stared at a Teenage ass and been like "hottie!" schhhhawing.

Chewy was just rich and the teenage tale through herself at him and since he has a penis he was unavailable to resist.

Packnut
03-13-2007, 01:32 PM

Poppycock. Who here hasn't stared at a Teenage ass and been like "hottie!" schhhhawing.

Chewy was just rich and the teenage tale through herself at him and since he has a penis he was unavailable to resist.

Please, anymore talk of hot tub partying with smokin teen-age babes is gonna send me to a COLD SHOWER! :oops:

Bub
03-13-2007, 01:41 PM
We sucked in the red zone. I think Dandy Randy would give us a boost there. You know he knows how to score.

packers11
03-13-2007, 01:59 PM

NO WAY... Its about even or a little more in favor OF getting Randy Moss... Just look at most of the polls out their on the subject, I haven't seen one yet where the opposition had more votes...you calling harlan a liar or just misinformed? moss would make the pack a better team and i'm all for a better pack.do it ted.

MISINFORMED!!! Someone send him a couple of polls...

GBRulz
03-13-2007, 02:01 PM

AMEN!

Epitamy of character?? Would that be Brady's Baby Making Service? Or how about Bellichick's affair? Or no, Bellichick the sore loser who can't even congratulate Manning on the field?

See, I like the Pats....er, ok I think Brady is beyond hot, but no team is perfect. Character doesn't win championships. I also find it funny that you have no problem referencing many racial slurs in another thread, yet you are on here preaching about how important character is to you. :roll:

woodbuck27
03-13-2007, 02:05 PM
The CIA couldn't publish better propaganda.

That article says little on the Moss to Green Bay rumor.

One thing that I read that did make sense is that Ted Thompson won't part with Aaron Rodgers to acquire Randy Moss.

Zool
03-13-2007, 02:26 PM
I also find it funny that you have no problem referencing many racial slurs in another thread, yet you are on here preaching about how important character is to you. :roll:Do as I say, not as I do.

bbbffl66
03-13-2007, 02:28 PM

AMEN!

Epitamy of character?? Would that be Brady's Baby Making Service? Or how about Bellichick's affair? Or no, Bellichick the sore loser who can't even congratulate Manning on the field?

See, I like the Pats....er, ok I think Brady is beyond hot, but no team is perfect. Character doesn't win championships. I also find it funny that you have no problem referencing many racial slurs in another thread, yet you are on here preaching about how important character is to you. :roll:

Anybody remember that paragon of virtue Ray Lewis? How many of you wouldn't want him in Green and Gold because of his "issues"?

Packnut
03-13-2007, 02:39 PM

AMEN!

Hmmmmmm, "Brady beyond hot". While I could NEVER admit that any man is attractive ( I subscribe to the Seinfeld-Costanza mantra of seeing no beauty in men), I guess Brady is easy on the eyes..... :shock:

Packnut
03-13-2007, 02:43 PM
I wonder how the meeting went this a.m.? I hope after Teddy put on his presentation on Moss, Jones and Harlan asked him why we ain't bringing in Hamlin for a visit??????????????

BooHoo
03-13-2007, 02:57 PM
Comparing the Raiders organization with the Pats is ridiculous. There is no comparison. Move along now...

Well said, cheesehead. There is no comparasion.

BooHoo
03-13-2007, 03:02 PM
It takes more than just talent to win the SB. Just watch some of the programs on the NFL channel about SB teams of the past. They talk about character, team play, guts, playing thru pain, self-drive, etc. all of the time. Now, these players were not perfect but they talk themselves about how much character meant to their winning.

wist43
03-13-2007, 03:02 PM
A couple of guys over at JS (Packerplus) are saying they've heard on the radio that a trade for Moss has gone thru...

Probably BS... can't find anything on it myself.

At least I hope it's BS.

Partial
03-13-2007, 03:03 PM

AMEN!

Oh whatever, that is such poppycock and you all know it. There is nothing wrong with a single man getting around. He is a rich celebrity who good looks. Who cares?

Belicheck can do whatever he wants off the field, again, who cares.

Those things are not FOOTBALL characteristics that are bad.

Brady doesn't ever take a play off. The mans desire to be great and win is even larger than Favres. Belicheck has never once taken a game off and hasn't prepared his team mentally and physically for a battle.

Moss takes every other play off. If he doesn't get 1200 yards and 8 TD he is a whiney bitch.

In the words of the jesus, "LAUGHABLE MAN, HA!".

Seriously, Randy Moss, mr. I mooned all of Green Bay, I smoke pot and go public about it, I bad mouth my teammates, mr. I stir shit up in a locker room by going to the media, Mr. "No, I won't play for that coach", mr. "things are crazy here, man". SHUT UP with that bullshit. That is so ridiculous.

Here are some quotes from Randy this season. I guarantee you will never hear something like this from Tom or Bill.

I'm doing good man, I'm not even that too concerned with football right now. I'm just loving life.

After being fined $10,000 by the NFL for pretending to pull down his pants and moon the crowd after scoring a touchdown:

It ain't nothing but 10 grand. What's 10 grand to me? It ain't shit. Next time I might shake my dick.

Brady may be sleeping around off the field, but I assure you he isn't exposing his penis in a derogatory manner towards the children and fans of green bay. He is probably out donating money and helping better the world.

As compared to other receivers

With what I do, with what I've been able to do in double and triple coverage throughout the whole game, I do consider myself the best receiver in the league. I've said it before, I want to continue to be the best until I leave this game.

So he thinks he is the best receiver in the league, and will want to be paid like it, despite having modest numbers.

Appearing on HBO's Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel, Moss admits to using marijuana:

I have used marijuana ... since I've been in the league. But as far as abusing it and letting it take control over me, I don't do that, no.

Right Randy, I am sure you weren't blazed when you ran the metermaid over. Asshole.

When college teammates died in a planecrash it

was a tragedy, but it really wasn't nothing big.

When asked how he would respond if he had another great receiver,

No, I'm not here

I could go further, but I think you get the point. Randy is a cancer, an awful teammate, an awful human being, and a waste of perfectly good air.

Partial
03-13-2007, 03:08 PM
dp and not the good kind.

woodbuck27
03-13-2007, 03:40 PM
A couple of guys over at JS (Packerplus) are saying they've heard on the radio that a trade for Moss has gone thru...

Probably BS... can't find anything on it myself.

At least I hope it's BS.

That as a fact would certainly surprize me.

It's like any deal.Once it's actually done the assessment of it's merits will be weighed.

Till then there's no sense in knocking ourselves out. :)

HarveyWallbangers
03-13-2007, 03:48 PM
The rumor sounds like a load of crap to me.

wist43
03-13-2007, 03:51 PM
Sounds like crap to me too...

red
03-13-2007, 04:15 PM
any trade of moss to his ex rival would be huge news that would hit on espn the second it happens

and theres nothing

you actually believe something you read on a JSO forum?

red
03-13-2007, 04:32 PM
PTI will be talking about moss-green bay in a couple of minutes

FritzDontBlitz
03-13-2007, 04:32 PM

more of these please.

Charles Woodson
03-13-2007, 04:36 PM

more of these please.

Do we have a poll for him on here?

esoxx
03-13-2007, 06:14 PM

It actually got him three Super Bowl Championships. It's not valid just to compare 10 years back b/c Al has always had that mantra. His past SB winners were filled with renegades, castoffs and low character guys.

BF4MVP
03-13-2007, 06:34 PM
[quote=Randy Moss]It ain't nothing but 10 grand. What's 10 grand to me? It ain't shit.
reporter: "You write the check yet?"

Randy: "When you're rich you don't write checks."

reporter: "How you gonna pay the fine then?"

Randy: "Straight cayash, homie."

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :lol: :lol: :lol:

red
03-13-2007, 06:36 PM

more of these please.

Do we have a poll for him on here?

yes we do on the front page, and its been there awhile

Should the Pack make a trade for WR Randy Moss?
Yes - This move makes them a contender.
72 83.7%

No - He is a disaster waiting to happen.
11 12.8%

I don't care either way.
3 3.5%

Number of Voters : 86

Charles Woodson
03-13-2007, 06:37 PM
Who let Wist vote no 11 times?? :wink:

retailguy
03-13-2007, 08:03 PM

Wist only voted 10 times.

packerbacker1234
03-13-2007, 10:48 PM
Where is Harlan getting this 65 - 35 no Moss. I think he is exaggerating. Every poll I see on every site, including ESPN, shows a LANSLIDE win for Moss to GB.

Maybe Harlan just can't see the TV screen anymore. I like the guy but I think he is exagerating hte few fans who have actually made contact with him.

ND72
03-13-2007, 10:51 PM
Where is Harlan getting this 65 - 35 no Moss. I think he is exaggerating. Every poll I see on every site, including ESPN, shows a LANSLIDE win for Moss to GB.

Maybe Harlan just can't see the TV screen anymore. I like the guy but I think he is exagerating hte few fans who have actually made contact with him.

Fan Fest this weekend was VERY anti-Randy Moss.

BF4MVP
03-13-2007, 11:12 PM
SportsCenter said they'll talk about the possibility of Moss to the Pack later in the show..Something tells me it won't be anything we don't already know.

DannoMac21
03-13-2007, 11:26 PM
Clayton just on SC.

Said that Thompson and the Pack did talk about it, but it wasn't in their main agenda.

Said they wanna do it because Favre wants him. McCarthy doesn't know if he wants him.

Said the trade will take a long time, because Al Davis isn't gonna get a 1st or 2nd rounder like he wants, so he needs to lower his standards.

Said that with the salaries and everything, it may take a few weeks up to another month.

ND72
03-13-2007, 11:27 PM
He did also say that Thompson doesn't know if HE wants him either.

pbmax
03-13-2007, 11:27 PM
wist only voted 9 time :whist:

BF4MVP
03-13-2007, 11:40 PM
I'm assuming Partial voted too, so that leaves Wist at 8 :lol:

GBRulz
03-14-2007, 12:23 AM
He did also say that Thompson doesn't know if HE wants him either.

I'm sure they are downplaying the whole thing. If it's well known that we REALLY want Moss, it might cause Al to stand his ground on getting a 1st or 2nd pick for him. If that is what it takes to get Moss, I say no.

When have we known TT to get excited about anything or really inform the public of his plans? It's just another "we'll have to wait and see" situation.

the_idle_threat
03-14-2007, 12:32 AM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

BF4MVP
03-14-2007, 12:37 AM
Ted Thompson never really says what he's thinking..Especially when the player in question is on another team (tampering?)..We'll just have to wait and see..

packerbacker1234
03-14-2007, 01:48 PM
who knows.

ESPN just said fi the price gets right it's done deal.

They said the best way to get Moss to be in GB is for favre to come on National TV in an interview, such as on ESPN, and clearly state he wants Randy Moss on his team.

We know he said it, but a national televised interview would sway almost all hte fans. Then the excuse becomes "Favre said he wants him, so get it done". There will be too much pressure to NOT do it.

MJZiggy
03-14-2007, 02:04 PM
Shameless self indulgence by ESPN. Just for that I hope he does an exclusive with NFLN. The best way for Moss to come to GB is for Davis to make a reasonable offer and Moss to renegotiate generously. He's rich. He can afford to delay some of that cayash.

Fritz
03-14-2007, 02:34 PM
I cannot tell you what incredibly mixed feelings I have about the possibility of Moss coming to GB. I've never liked the guy, especially his quitting on plays and quitting on his team before a game is over. I also don't like the idea of picking up a guy who is clearly only a one or two year player - he has a documented history of chewing up QB's who are rookies or are re-treads. As soon as Favre retires, Moss's usefulness to the Packers ends. It's also questionable as to whether he's got much left.

Having said all that, the idea of Driver, Moss and Jennings plus a rookie (I hope TT will draft a promising receiver) is intriguing. No, Moss doesn't like to go inside, but he can draw attention away from the middle of teh field if a safety knows he'll have to go help on Moss.

I feel so...conflicted. I think I need to talk to my therapist...

CaptainKickass
03-14-2007, 02:46 PM
It's called "spin".

The Packers brass wants to make it appear that it will be "very trying" or "difficult" for the team and the fans to accept Moss so that the perceived value of Moss stays where it is.

If they come out and say Favre wants Moss, the fans want Moss, the head honchos want Moss, etc etc - then guess what - the asking price or negotiable price goes up - which is not in favor of the Pack.

I'd lie straight to their face too - "Yeah Mr. Davis, the fans are pretty negative towards him what with the character risk and all, we'll give you a 4th rd pick and maybe another player......"

Straight "spin".

Chevelle2
03-14-2007, 02:56 PM
It's called "spin".

The Packers brass wants to make it appear that it will be "very trying" or "difficult" for the team and the fans to accept Moss so that the perceived value of Moss stays where it is.

If they come out and say Favre wants Moss, the fans want Moss, the head honchos want Moss, etc etc - then guess what - the asking price or negotiable price goes up - which is not in favor of the Pack.

I'd lie straight to their face too - "Yeah Mr. Davis, the fans are pretty negative towards him what with the character risk and all, we'll give you a 4th rd pick and maybe another player......"

Straight "spin".

wow!! excellent thought!! i never thought of it this way, man. good thinking!! i cant wait till this moss deal goes down!!! :lol:

Oldwis
03-14-2007, 03:16 PM
I have misgivings about Moss so I would not add him to the roster:

1. He's 30 years old. His "character" is formed. He will not become a different persons because he is in Green Bay. Remember the scenario of the girl who marries the drunk because she is sure she can change him? :lol:

2. Apparently he is all of the following: disobedient to coaches and management, a locker-room cancer, and a loner rather than a team player--the very opposite of Donald Driver or Kabeer or Hawk, to name only three of many.

3. Isn't this the same man who, when still a Viking, ran down a policeman?
(Or am I confusing him with someone else?)

4. Anyone who is willing to overlook these character issues either: doesn't distinguish between fantasy football and real football, or, should never ever occupy a position of responsibility in an organization in the real world.

5. Andre Rison was a choir boy compared to Moss. As I recall, Rison's girl friend caused much of his trouble; I believe she was a violent woman.

6. And just in case someone wants to drag in the Great One, it wasn't Vince Lombardi who said, "winning is the only thing." It was a line in the fifty year old John Wayne movie about football coaching, "Trouble Along the Way," spoken by child actress Sherri Jackson to Donna Reed. (Pretty good movie, too. :) )

Cordially,

Oldwis

HarveyWallbangers
03-14-2007, 04:04 PM

1. He's 30 years old. His "character" is formed. He will not become a different persons because he is in Green Bay. Remember the scenario of the girl who marries the drunk because she is sure she can change him? :lol:

2. Apparently he is all of the following: disobedient to coaches and management, a locker-room cancer, and a loner rather than a team player--the very opposite of Donald Driver or Kabeer or Hawk, to name only three of many.

4. Anyone who is willing to overlook these character issues either: doesn't distinguish between fantasy football and real football, or, should never ever occupy a position of responsibility in an organization in the real world.

5. Andre Rison was a choir boy compared to Moss. As I recall, Rison's girl friend caused much of his trouble; I believe she was a violent woman.

6. And just in case someone wants to drag in the Great One, it wasn't Vince Lombardi who said, "winning is the only thing." It was a line in the fifty year old John Wayne movie about football coaching, "Trouble Along the Way," spoken by child actress Sherri Jackson to Donna Reed. (Pretty good movie, too. :) )

Cordially,

Oldwis

I can understand misgivings about Moss and I agree with some of these, but I would not say Rison was a choir boy compared to Moss. The "running over a policeman" shows how overrated the incident was. He bumped into a meter maid. It sounded like a big misunderstanding more than anything. Most of the players in the Vikings locker room actually liked Moss. The coach liked him. I think he's moody dude, but generally people around him think he's okay. Totally opposite of Terrell Owens--who most people around him seem to think is a jerkwad. I do understand people who think he's past his prime. I agree that he is, but I still think he's somebody that can get 70 receptions for 1000 yards and 10 TDs and can take attention away from Driver and Jennings. I do understand people who have a problem with his character issues, and it's the reason he can be had for so cheaply. I say the risk is worth it for the right price. What I'm hearing from those that don't want him is that they wouldn't want him if he came free. I disagree. For the right price, I'd take a chance on him.

the_idle_threat
03-14-2007, 04:15 PM

Cordially,

Oldwis

I can understand misgivings about Moss and I agree with some of these, but I would not say Rison was a choir boy compared to Moss. The "running over a policeman" shows how overrated the incident was. He bumped into a meter maid. It sounded like a big misunderstanding more than anything. Most of the players in the Vikings locker room actually liked Moss. The coach liked him. I think he's moody dude, but generally people around him think he's okay. Totally opposite of Terrell Owens--who most people around him seem to think is a jerkwad. I do understand people who think he's past his prime. I agree that he is, but I still think he's somebody that can get 70 receptions for 1000 yards and 10 TDs and can take attention away from Driver and Jennings. I do understand people who have a problem with his character issues, and it's the reason he can be had for so cheaply. I say the risk is worth it for the right price. What I'm hearing from those that don't want him is that they wouldn't want him if he came free. I disagree. For the right price, I'd take a chance on him.

Agree 100% with Harv.

Also want to note that ol' Vince may not have originated "Winning is the only thing," but he did indeed say it. They play an audio recording of him saying it all the time on WTMJ radio ... I think it's during the game-day intro.

IIRC, he later said he regretted using the quote, because it could be used to justify a lot of things he did not intend nor stand for... (i.e. cheating).

wist43
03-14-2007, 04:36 PM
wist only voted 9 time :whist:

Actually, I voted 138 freakin times!!!!

Hence, my contention that there is some shenanigans going on with the "nay" vote!!! :smack: :smack: :smack: :smack:

TennesseePackerBacker
03-14-2007, 05:32 PM
"Favre throws another touchdown pass to Moss", man that's gonna be great to hear.

swede
03-14-2007, 06:01 PM
"Favre throws another touchdown pass to Moss", man that's gonna be great to hear.

And now everyone in Lambeau is up and mooning the field in celebration, continuing what has become a new tradition in this storied stadium.

GBRulz
03-14-2007, 06:28 PM

And now everyone in Lambeau is up and mooning the field in celebration, continuing what has become a new tradition in this storied stadium.

Ha! That would be pretty funny actually! Fake mooning, of course.

Joemailman
03-14-2007, 07:04 PM

Ha! That would be pretty funny actually! Fake mooning, of course.

Except for the Viking game. :P